[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ouch . . . Tyshawk Taylor earning props and a starting spot?  (Read 6467 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Re: Ouch . . . Tyshawk Taylor earning props and a starting spot?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
to rawdag....

here is wahat chicos staed  via cut and paste...

I thought we were told here that he would be no big loss.

I typed that he said ..

"i thought the people on this board said it would be no big loss"

Now are you seriously saying that i somehow manipulated what he said?!  I guess i did not restate it word for word verbatim, but it was extreamely freaking close actually only substituting "people on this board for "here".

bottom line he said what i said he said.  Which very few if any people said in all reality.

as an aside i disagree witht he people that feel he would have been squeezed for playing time.  he is good enough that he would have found himself as possibly the #1 guard sub and maybe even on the floor with the 3 amigos, i think he would have gotten upper teens in munutes and then beena 3 year starter. 

i cannot complain how Buzz has back filled the loss though.  Unlike Crean who would miss on a recruit and back fill it with a Kinsella or berkowitz

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
None of the above players has played a game yet. Let the results speak for itself. I think it is safe to say that if the Kansas players do not go early to NBA, that Taylor would not be starting at Kansas. The situation is working out very nicely for him. Let us see how he does. He would have been nice to have on our team, but his playing time would have been limited, especially if Williams also stayed with MU. I think that if Crean had stayed you would expect Taylor and Williams to each get 5 minutes a game and then start the next year.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »
well i don't really see a value of getting into a heated semantics argument but if someone told me "people on the board" i would think a large percentage or even a majority of posters felt that way.  while "we were told here" could very easily imply one or two crazies who deserve an  ::)

HarryBalczak

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 02:10:50 PM »
Few questions:

1) Where have you seen Butler? Intrigued because Rosiak seems to point to Butler not having quite the confidence level that you'd expect from a regular contributor whereas it seemed Williams may lack athleticisim but his court savvy and mid-range game would have gotten him minutes this season.

I've seen Butler in a full game video from last year and in a scrimmage setting at MU this summer and I saw Nick Williams at the McGuire Center last December.  Butler is a rangy player and at least 6-6, has a decent skill level and is more athletic than Williams.  Butler was going against three of the best guards in the Big East in scrimmages plus he played against Joe Chapman when I saw him, so it is definately a step up for him and he'll need to adjust.  I did see him beat a man off the dribble in a halfcourt setting and put down a tomahawk dunk and I took notice of that. 

2) Is the Taylor Nick Williams loss magnified if Buycks' credits don't transfer from JUCO?

From all indications, Buycks took care of some of the non-transferrable credits last summer and he was an All-Region academic choice last year at Indian Hills, so I'm hoping he doesn't have too much of a load to meet the next year before he enrolls at Marquette.

3) When you write "fit in better with what Buzz Williams wants to do" what does this mean? Considering Buzz has never coached a MU team I'm not sure anyone has a great handle on what he wants to do.

I think Buzz values athleticism and Butler is the rangy type as is Joe Fulce.  Nick Williams will have a tougher time creating his own shot and go back to my post of Butler being able to take his man off the dribble 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »
Jim

Thanks for the input on TT and NW.  I'm in the camp that NW will be a solid player and by his junior and senior years very good.  He needs good coaching which he didn't have in Alabama.

Rawdog....yes every site has the typical we didn't want him anyway....and in each of those cases it's silly.  But I do see your point.

nola03

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »
I've seen Butler in a full game video from last year and in a scrimmage setting at MU this summer and I saw Nick Williams at the McGuire Center last December.  Butler is a rangy player and at least 6-6, has a decent skill level and is more athletic than Williams.  Butler was going against three of the best guards in the Big East in scrimmages plus he played against Joe Chapman when I saw him, so it is definately a step up for him and he'll need to adjust.  I did see him beat a man off the dribble in a halfcourt setting and put down a tomahawk dunk and I took notice of that.

From all indications, Buycks took care of some of the non-transferrable credits last summer and he was an All-Region academic choice last year at Indian Hills, so I'm hoping he doesn't have too much of a load to meet the next year before he enrolls at Marquette.

I think Buzz values athleticism and Butler is the rangy type as is Joe Fulce.  Nick Williams will have a tougher time creating his own shot and go back to my post of Butler being able to take his man off the dribble.

I appreciate the information but I've become quite sceptical of any MU recruit opinion that comes off videotape. Far too often has a player been cast in an unfair light simply because a few people caught a videotape of him. I'm still going to side with Rosiak on Butler if only because he's seen him in the scrimmage settings up close more then once and in his latest offering expressed concern over his ability to contribute regularly. Considering the update came just last week, it is troubling for a guy I thought would be the surprise player of the season. I also understand how the tomahawk would impress, however, I've seen Burke use a drop step to perfection against Roy Hibbert. One play is only one play.

I understand that Buycks is working hard for his degree. My query was does the Nick Williams loss become magnified if Buycks doesn't qualify? Considering where that leaves us depth-wise, the answer would seem to be it would magnify the loss but probably not to the point of debilitating until we see the last minute addition Buzz would take in his stead.

As for the last point on "what Buzz wants to do" maybe I have confused your thinking. The way you wrote that sentence made it seem like you had an idea as to the exact principles Buzz will be coaching whilst at MU. By saying Buzz values athleticism is obvious. Every coach values athleticism and Tom Crean built his system on it and yet still took such an early pledge from Nick Williams. Just the same as April, no one really has a clue as to how Buzz will coach the program so I just find the statements about certain guys "fitting in" or playing the "way Buzz likes to coach" or this recruit works with "what Buzz wants to do" to be based on nothing more then wanting to feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. I thought there was more substance to your words with regard to that subject.

feedback