[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ouch . . . Tyshawk Taylor earning props and a starting spot?  (Read 6466 times)

Warrior Forever

• Starter
Ouch . . . Tyshawk Taylor earning props and a starting spot?
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »

Seth Davis giving major props to Taylor.  Hints he may start from Day one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/09/17/hoop.thoughts/index.html

bilsu

• All American
Re: Ouch . . . Tyshawk Taylor earning props and a starting spot?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »
I would have liked him to stay here. However, he would not be starting here. If I remember correctly Christopherson had some nice games in Canada last year and did basically nothing for us during the season.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »
plus, had he come here we would have had to room with him with Hurley so that he could burp him after his 2 a.m. feeding.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:17 AM »

Seth Davis giving major props to Taylor.  Hints he may start from Day one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/09/17/hoop.thoughts/index.html

I thought we were told here that he would be no big loss.  ::)   

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:39:38 AM »
Hey.......very simple.........they knew the old coach, not the new coach and we had 5 returning guards so he was not going to start here.  End of story and good luck at Kansas.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:42 AM »
I'm not trying to assign blame.  It's just a little bit disheartening to see this kind of "projected" talent get away.  I don't think there is anything Buzz could have done to change Tyshawn's or Mr. Hurley's mind.

As for playing time, I think we may have found some minutes for him if he is as good as they say. 

Go Warriors.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:09 AM »
Wow, maybe Seth Davis should do our recruiting.  Obviously he knows that a freshman before one practise with the reigning national champions will be starting.  I have to think what a sportswriters opinion is and what a coach does are many times totally uncorrelated.  But it did generate news! Oh yea, that what he is in business to do.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »
I thought we were told here that he would be no big loss.  ::)   

By who?

I don't know if this kid was a loss in terms of PG of the future (seemed more of a wing) but he was a big loss in terms of quality player.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:42:29 AM »
By who?

I don't know if this kid was a loss in terms of PG of the future (seemed more of a wing) but he was a big loss in terms of quality player.   
Agree.  I can't remember many (if any) posters who thought the loss of TT was no big thing.  I watched 5 or 6 of his games this past season (seems like St. Anthony's was on the tube every other day!).  TT is simply marvelously talented and probably underrated by the "gurus".  Reminds me overall a lot of Jerel McNeal alough TT is more careful with the ball.  But, he is not here now.  Wish him well.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
Wow, maybe Seth Davis should do our recruiting.  Obviously he knows that a freshman before one practise with the reigning national champions will be starting.  I have to think what a sportswriters opinion is and what a coach does are many times totally uncorrelated.  But it did generate news! Oh yea, that what he is in business to do.

did you read the article before spouting off?  Davis is only reporting what Bill Self, the head coach of the reigning national champions, said:

"Our concern with him was whether he could score, but he has a great chance to start from Day 1," Self says. "He's faster with the ball than Sherron."

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:14:23 AM »
consider the source on the "no big loss " commnet.  i do not beleive anyone on the board ever said that.  A top 100 guard on a team about to lose 3 of them is a big loss and anyone in their right mind knows that.  Chicos posts and especially his topics are intended to  elicit a reponse.  he is always in need of attention, pretty pathetic

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »
consider the source on the "always in need of attention, pretty pathetic" comment.

nola03

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »
consider the source on the "always in need of attention, pretty pathetic" comment.

Co-sign.

As for Taylor, unbelievable potential. Tom Crean attracted some real talent to Marquette once we entered the Big East. Should do well in the Kansas system.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
By who?

If you do a search from April 9th through April 25th on this board you will find plenty of people (perhaps sour grapes because he didn't choose MU) saying he wasn't that good, or he was over hyped, couldn't step in as a freshman, wouldn't help us for several years, would be bust Crean recruit, etc. April 21st is when he announced he was going to play for Kansas.

I'll say what I said then....the Taylor loss was huge and the Nick Williams loss was also big.  Buzz has done a nice job filling some voids and I hope he can continue, but Taylor is a special player.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
"plenty of people"  ..more chicos hyperbole.  What there may have been is a few sour grapes people saying he would not help us next year and that we will not need him next year.  While the vast majority felt he would garner minutes as a Fresh. and then be ready to be a stud as a soph.  I Know "plenty" of people neither felt that way or posted that way.  Simple more of your cry wolf sensationalist type headline topics and statements in which you were always right. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
Good for TT. It was a smart move on his part to join a program depleted with early NBA entrants. He's made the best of it thus far...but he still hasn't played an NCAA game so my jury is still out on him.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 03:39:18 PM »
"plenty of people"  ..more chicos hyperbole.  What there may have been is a few sour grapes people saying he would not help us next year and that we will not need him next year.  While the vast majority felt he would garner minutes as a Fresh. and then be ready to be a stud as a soph.  I Know "plenty" of people neither felt that way or posted that way.  Simple more of your cry wolf sensationalist type headline topics and statements in which you were always right. 

So you're confirming my statements were both accurate.  I never said all, most, etc....I said plenty of people.  And I define plenty as more than 10 (not just a handful).  No hyperbole at all.  In fact, my initial statement was directed at those very folks that said TT was no big loss, which was absurd and only stated by them because of Crean hatred or what have you.

When I say something inaccuarate, point it out.  If I did, I'll own up to it.  I clearly didn't say anything inaccurate in that statement as a little research (I even gave you the date ranges) will prove quite quickly. 

Enjoy the rest of your day.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »
Chicos your original statement was "i thought the people on this board said it would be no big loss"  then went on to say plenty of people said it.   

I will give you the credit to say i do not think you are so dumb to not understand what affect your statement s will have.

maybe i should rethink that stance. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »
Big loss if we could not recruit to replace him. We have Cadougan, Butler and Buyckes so the loss is not that great. That is no knock on Taylor who will probably be a very good player. Buzz did a good job in replacing Taylor and Williams.

Pardner

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »
In a strange twist of fate, TT will be a 2 Guard if he starts...the same position as Snaer who KU is hot after now.  Buzz can offer Snaer the PT while pointing to TT (knowing Snaer is a long shot, but also knowing he is close with Benford). 

HarryBalczak

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 05:21:17 AM »

I'll say what I said then....the Taylor loss was huge and the Nick Williams loss was also big.  Buzz has done a nice job filling some voids and I hope he can continue, but Taylor is a special player.

I'll give you the idea that Taylor was a big loss Chico, but I won't go that distance with Nick Williams.  From what I've seen of Nick Williams, Dwight Buycks and Jimmy Butler, I believe that Buycks and Butler are a step up athletically and fit in better with what Buzz Williams wants to do.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 07:45:32 AM »
Taylor didn't get a lot of opportunity to display his abilities because of the team he played on, but i did see a few games where on occasion he showed some Dwayne Wade like slashing ability-----extremely quick.

Williams on the otherhand was a catch & shoot Joe Chapman type, albeit in addition a very good passer.

Williams will have a good career at IU----but Taylor will be exceptional at Kansas!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »
But Taylor would NOT have played much this year at MU. Which of the Three Amigos would you bench to get him in the lineup? He might have been a star in his second year here, but if he's that good at Kansas there might not even be a second year. Buzz has filled the gap nicely with Junior. Best wishes to Tyshawn.

nola03

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
I'll give you the idea that Taylor was a big loss Chico, but I won't go that distance with Nick Williams.  From what I've seen of Nick Williams, Dwight Buycks and Jimmy Butler, I believe that Buycks and Butler are a step up athletically and fit in better with what Buzz Williams wants to do.

Few questions:

1) Where have you seen Butler? Intrigued because Rosiak seems to point to Butler not having quite the confidence level that you'd expect from a regular contributor whereas it seemed Williams may lack athleticisim but his court savvy and mid-range game would have gotten him minutes this season.

2) Is the Taylor Nick Williams loss magnified if Buycks' credits don't transfer from JUCO?

3) When you write "fit in better with what Buzz Williams wants to do" what does this mean? Considering Buzz has never coached a MU team I'm not sure anyone has a great handle on what he wants to do.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:44:29 PM by nola03 »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »
Chicos your original statement was "i thought the people on this board said it would be no big loss"  then went on to say plenty of people said it.   

I will give you the credit to say i do not think you are so dumb to not understand what affect your statement s will have.

maybe i should rethink that stance. 

perhaps you should start using the quote function built into the board, that wasn't what he said.

But come on chico, you know there are 100 'good riddence' posters everytime we miss a guy or he transfers, much more so when a guy decomits.  I don't think anyone who a few weeks ealier was estatic about him would have actually changed their minds once they got a chance to cool down a bit.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:19:29 AM by RawdogDX »

feedback