Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:07:07 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Elonsmusk
[Today at 04:06:57 PM]

2025 Bracketology by DoctorV
[Today at 03:56:14 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by PJDunn
[Today at 03:14:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:01:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by GOO
[Today at 02:58:57 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:27:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why, Indiana?  (Read 1943 times)

Warrior Forever

• Starter
Why, Indiana?
« on: April 01, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »

I don't mind a coach upgrading his standing and position.  However, I can't for the life of me rationalize leaving for Indiana.

He is going to work for an AD who is standing on his last legs.  I think he should already have been fired.  The Hoosier administration already proved their makeup when it brought in the cheater, Sampson. 

You can't tell me the Big 10 is a better conference.

His team has been decimated.  He's losing two starters to the NBA, another to graduation (dang you, Lance Stemler) and the remaining talent was kicked off the team today.

He has to compete in Indiana with Brey at ND and Painter at a revitalized Purdue.

What am I missing here?

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Why, Indiana?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
He'll have a couple of rough years then they'll take off.  To paraphrase a popular, yet obnoxious commercial, their better is better than our better.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

dcmk89

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:45:56 PM »
It's simple.

Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky...then IU.

It's not hard buddy.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:51:32 PM »
It's simple.

It's not hard buddy.

Ten years ago, I'd agree with you.  Today, I'll take Michigan St and Connecticut over IU.  Plus, with pending punishment from the NCAA hanging over their Crimson and Cream heads, no one knows where this program is headed.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »

not this year, but historically it is one of the best. 

Explain why 2 coaches have left the BE for Big 10 programs that are a complete mess? :-\ Crean won't make much more money, if any.

You live in a small world if you don't get it. MU can no  more be compared to IU in hoops than UW can be compared to Bama in football even though we've be better for quite sometime.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »

Explain why 2 coaches have left the BE for Big 10 programs that are a complete mess? :-\ Crean won't make much more money, if any.

You live in a small world if you don't get it. MU can no  more be compared to IU in hoops than UW can be compared to Bama in football even though we've be better for quite sometime.

Thanks, but my world is just fine.  I'm not saying MU is a better program than IU, historically.  However, I think in another year or two, Crean could have done better than a severely wounded IU.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »

Thanks, but my world is just fine.  I'm not saying MU is a better program than IU, historically.  However, I think in another year or two, Crean could have done better than a severely wounded IU.

There are only so many opportunities to get one of the elite jobs in college basketball, and despite everything that's happened IU is still on that level.  Look at the other schools up there, this is really the only chance to go.

UCLA and UNC are locked up for the foreseeable future, Duke is not going to hire outside of the family when Coach K leaves, Self's Final Four run just got him some leeway at Kansas unless things go drastically wrong.  That leaves UK and IU, and while they may want to run Gillespie out of town, it would likely not be for Crean. 

Pardner

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »

I don't mind a coach upgrading his standing and position.  However, I can't for the life of me rationalize leaving for Indiana.

He is going to work for an AD who is standing on his last legs.  I think he should already have been fired.  The Hoosier administration already proved their makeup when it brought in the cheater, Sampson. 

His team has been decimated.  He's losing two starters to the NBA, another to graduation (dang you, Lance Stemler) and the remaining talent was kicked off the team today.

He has to compete in Indiana with Brey at ND and Painter at a revitalized Purdue.

What am I missing here?

Plus, facing two years possible NCAA probation and recruiting restrictions.  Why would TC want to take on another rebuilding job with the recruiting classes he has(d) coming to MU?  I guess we'll hear the party line tomorrow from him at the IU presser.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »

The fact that he chose to make a move this time tells me he feels he's peaked out at MU. If so, it was time for him to go,  and the reason i think with the right hire this could end up being a good thing for MU. I hate to see him go because of teh unknown, but the unknown can have a positive outcome as well.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
It's simple.

It's not hard buddy.

Ten years ago, I'd agree with you.  Today, I'll take Michigan St and Connecticut over IU.  Plus, with pending punishment from the NCAA hanging over their Crimson and Cream heads, no one knows where this program is headed.

Were MSU and Connecticut offering Crean? No.

The point is, IU is still an elite program. MU is not. MU is a much better program now since Crean but it is still not an elite program.

UCLA, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, are the only schools I might put ahead of IU. How could you turn that down?

Today before the hire Seth Davis called IU a top 7 job. I don't think it is too hard to see why an ambitious and successful head coach would be interested in this job.

feedback