[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: '08 vs '07  (Read 2748 times)

Warrior Forever

• Starter
'08 vs '07
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:11:09 PM »
When you consider we returned the same team from last year and we showed no improvement, finishing 6th once again, you have to say this conference season has been a disappointment.  We finished behind a rebuilding West Virginia for gosh sake.

Let's hope the end of March in kinder than the last.

Go Warriors.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: '08 vs '07
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »
Totally agree.  We showed ZERO PROGRESS.  Lazar was probably the only reason we didn't slide further.  How you return all your starters, oh, and get a month head-start with practices (Canada games) .. and have fewer big wins and more big losses .. completely disappointing.

Didn't we have the 5th seed last year? 

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »
I believe I said this some time ago.  (Or maybe it was romey - that's the screen name I use on my home computer)  It's becasue the competition has gotten better!!!

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »
For big time men's college basketball, the only thing that really matters is the NCAA tournament.  We're in the tournament, and we have a realistic chance to be a 5-6 seed (assuming we beat Seton Hall and Notre Dame). 

We're in a pretty good position.  Also, the biggest difference is that McNeal is not hurt like he was last year.  If we stay injury free through the BE tournament, I think we'll make it to the Sweet 16.

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »
Crazy Echo - I would like to believe that, but what are you basing that on?  We have to have the right matchups to make the sweet 16.  As soon as we run into a good zone team, or as soon as we run into a team with a good inside game or as soon as we shoot 3 for 17 from 3 point range, we're done.  We were outscored by 17 in the paint today.  Believe me Sweet 16 would be awesome.  But we have a ways to go!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »
After watching today's game, do you honestly believe this team is capable of making the Sweet 16?  Unless there is significant improvement in outside shooting, making three footers under the basket, not making idiotic personal fouls, free throw shooting, matching up personnel defensively and Trevor becomes the second coming of Maurice Lucas, that is impossible. 

unionssuck

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »
Every year we have the same problem: no balance.  We have had this problem every year except 2003.  We cannot win in March with guards alone. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
After watching today's game, do you honestly believe this team is capable of making the Sweet 16?  Unless there is significant improvement in outside shooting, making three footers under the basket, not making idiotic personal fouls, free throw shooting, matching up personnel defensively and Trevor becomes the second coming of Maurice Lucas, that is impossible. 

After watching today...no.  After watching last Saturday and the previous 6 games...yes.  You guys put so much damn emphasis on 2 hours it's incredible.  And last year USC fans were saying the same thing.

They lost their last two regular season games, finished the regular season at 21-10 and 11-7 in the league, everyone crying the sky is falling.  Then the go to the Pac Ten tournament and go to the title game...then go to the NCAAs and get to the Sweet 16.

Relax...enjoy life.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »
Thats what makes March Madness the best sporting event, because you just never know.  Especially in the matchups and seeding.  Not just USC last year (Taj Gibson was insane), but look at George Mason three years ago.   

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 09:14:51 PM »
Disagree.  While today's game is 2 hours of play, it adds to the body of evidence that is this year's season, and exemplifies a pattern.  In short, when we play quality opponents, especially on the road, we lose, with very few exceptions.  We win versus non-top-50 teams.

Applying that evidence to the NCAAs, where there are lots of quality opponents .. does not bode well.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
Why I think we'll make it to the Sweet 16

By: Crazy Echo

1. We'll beat Seton Hall.  We have no bad losses on the season and we won't get our first one now.

2. We'll beat ND in the second round of the BET.  We beat them at home and played them tough on the road.  We beat them 6/10 times on a neutral court.

3. We'll lose to Louisville in the 3rd round of the BET.  They're just as athletic as us, but 2-5 inches taller than us at every position.  Hopefully we keep it close.

4. Regardless, we'll be a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament.

5. I think we have a really good chance in the first round of the tournament.  Obviously, it's impossible to predict a  match-up, but I think we'd handle any mid-major powerhouse or underachiever from a major conference.  If the above predictions don't come through, I'd be less optimistic about this prediction.  A 5-6 seed is much, much better than a 7-8 seed.

6. Second round of the NCAAs.  This is where it gets a little tougher.  There are not too many teams that intimidate me, especially a 3-4 seed.  Hopefully, we get UW-Madison and can cake-walk into the Sweet 16.

7. After that, who knows.  If DJames goes nuts and hits 6-7 from three, we can beat anyone.  Correspondingly, if DJames and McNeal got 1-12 from 3 in our second round game, we could easily bounce out then.  

8. I'm not reading too much into the Syracuse game because a) they needed it much more than we did b) they're a really good (but shallow) team c) it was at Syracuse . . . we don't have any more road games the rest of the season!!

9. In summary, we're going to win 2 games in the BET and then 2 games in the NCAAs and it'll be a successful season.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »
You heard it here first...my prediction:

1. We will lose either in the first round or second round of the BET.
2. We will crush our first round opponent in the NCAA, win a second round game by between 8 and 12 points and get hammered in the Sweet 16.

Write it down!!

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »
When you consider we returned the same team from last year and we showed no improvement, finishing 6th once again, you have to say this conference season has been a disappointment.  We finished behind a rebuilding West Virginia for gosh sake.

Let's hope the end of March in kinder than the last.

Go Warriors.

I think you have to consider that the conference was better this year than last.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
Change the title to 08 v. 07 v. 06

It's amazing how the seasons were so similar.  Legitimate top 10 team in November and December.  Horrible play in late January, a nice win streak in February, and a slide into the tournament in March. 

Based on this history, I would predict 1-1 in the BE Tournament and 1-1 in the NCAA Tournament (have a feeling Marquette will get a good first round match-up).

So here is where I feel conflicted, this team never really developed from 06, but staying in the top 25 and making the NCAA tournament three years in a row has been quite nice.  Having attended Marquette during the Bob Dukiet era, I should be thrilled with these results.  And yet, Marquette is a good team, but not a great team.  It's now a good program, but not a great program.

Not sure what to make of it all?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 02:40:23 PM »

2. We will crush our first round opponent in the NCAA, win a second round game by between 8 and 12 points and get hammered in the Sweet 16.

Write it down!!

1.  We go 1-1 in BE.
2.  We go 1-1 in NCAA.

We have played 11 teams that could make the NCAA tournament without winning their conference tournament.  (Duke (N), at Wisconsin, Louisville, at Louisville, Connecticut, at West Virginia, Pittsburgh, ND, at ND, Georgetown and at Syracuse).  We are 3-8 in those games, 4-8 if you think Villanova could make the NCAA tournament if they get to the Big East final.

That's a winning percentage of .273 against teams of the quality we are likely to face in the tournament.  The likelihood of us making the sweet 16 using simple math (winning two games in a row with that kind of winning percentage) is about 12 to 1 against.  I do not like those odds.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »
We go 2-1 in the BET.
We get a 5 seed.
We have a "surprise" run and make the Final 4
We lose to UNC in a close game.

NOTE: No one posts anything on this website after we make the sweet 16.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »
We go 2-1 in the BET.
We get a 5 seed.
We have a "surprise" run and make the Final 4
We lose to UNC in a close game.

NOTE: No one posts anything on this website after we make the sweet 16.

hope you're right but drink some of this just in case:
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 08:44:34 PM »
aside for 2 or 3 GREAT teams in the tourney...doesn't EVERYONE need good matchups to go deep? come on
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 09:09:33 PM »

Write it down!!

Where do I sign up?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.