[Today at 01:43:12 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Impressive crowd  (Read 6379 times)

cschor

• Walk-On
Re: Impressive crowd
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 07:46:50 PM »
The Georgetown game was as much fun as I've had since we last beat Notre Dame at our house.  We took advantage of the "Be a Student" offer and had 12 friends and family make the trip from Chicago. The three point show and JJJ jumping out of the gym motivated even my mellowist  millennial to put down her phone and get a little crazy.  This team may be the classic example of offense selling tickets. Also, it was good to see Georgia edit. Vandy-beat LSU last night. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:40:10 PM by cschor »

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 07:52:42 PM »
Like several of our BE colleagues, Seton Hall plays in a professional venue (Prudential Center, home of the NHL's Devils). So, their relatively decent crowds of 7,000 fans get drowned out by empty seats.  On that note, it appears there is a trend among BE teams towards playing in a smaller venue when appropriate.  Examples include Villanova (Pallestra vs. Wells Fargo), St. Johns (Carnesecca vs. MSG), DePaul's new facility (Wintrust) which will seat 10,000.

It will be interesting to see if the rent/value of the new Bucks arena makes MU consider playing some games at a smaller venue such as the AL or UWM Panther arena...

Good info thanks.

I think the bucks new arena will be a plus to begin with if nothing else than a novelty. I'm looking forward to buying some seats. But you're right about the emptiness being a problem. MU does seem like a 10000 seat team.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 07:58:46 PM »
The Georgetown game was as much fun as I've had since we last beat Notre Dame at our house.  We took advantage of the "Be a Student" offer and had 12 friends and family make the trip from Chicago. The three point show and JJJ jumping out of the gym motivated even my mellowist  millennial to put down her phone and get a little crazy.  This team may be the classic example of offense selling tickets. Also, it was good to see Georgia beat LSU last night.
I like the enthusiasm, love the support, and it's easy for a non local fan who can't get to many games to criticize, but.....Georgia and LSU were both on the good end of SEC games for us yesterday, just not the same game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »
MU does seem like a 10000 seat team.

Sorry, but this is just preposterous. We sell over 11,000 season tickets. Marquette isn't going to downsize below their STH base, especially when moving to a new arena will give them a chance to get a bit of a boost in STH numbers for people that want to get the arena experience without NBA prices.

Maybe we could play in something that seated 13,000-15,000, but no less than that. I realize that numbers haven't been what they were, but it wasn't that long ago that we were drawing 15,000 per night and during conference play it was a legit 15K+.

Will we get back there? I don't know. But the idea of downsizing to a 10K arena, playing in the Panther Arena or the Al, that's just ludicrous. Unless the program plummets for the next decade, it wouldn't even remotely be considered.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 09:13:58 PM »
The new arena is actually supposed to be closer to 17,000 seats (down from 19,000 at the BC) so the new arena is not likely to have more empty seats than we see now.  It will have more lower bowl seats and less upper deck seats though so it'll be interesting to see how that affects STH pricing.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:37 PM »
The new arena is actually supposed to be closer to 17,000 seats (down from 19,000 at the BC) so the new arena is not likely to have more empty seats than we see now.  It will have more lower bowl seats and less upper deck seats though so it'll be interesting to see how that affects STH pricing.

I don't know how Marquette will handle it, but the Bucks have been very interactive with STHs thus far. They are planning to bring each STH in to a simulator to allow them to see what would be both the seats comparable to their current seats and the seats that would most closest meet their current price. I have a friend who is close with all the Bucks brass and it sounds like while they plan on price increases, they will try to keep prices pretty close to current.

EDIT: If we can get back to drawing 14,000 in a 17,000 seat arena (82% capacity) and most of the seats are lower bowl, it will look full just about all the time, other than probably some buy games.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »
Sorry, but this is just preposterous. We sell over 11,000 season tickets. Marquette isn't going to downsize below their STH base, especially when moving to a new arena will give them a chance to get a bit of a boost in STH numbers for people that want to get the arena experience without NBA prices.

Maybe we could play in something that seated 13,000-15,000, but no less than that. I realize that numbers haven't been what they were, but it wasn't that long ago that we were drawing 15,000 per night and during conference play it was a legit 15K+.

Will we get back there? I don't know. But the idea of downsizing to a 10K arena, playing in the Panther Arena or the Al, that's just ludicrous. Unless the program plummets for the next decade, it wouldn't even remotely be considered.

Got to plan for the future though, not the past. Across the nation attendance is going down. With TV only going to get better that is a trend that is likely to continue. Even historic programs like Duke have seen some of their home court advantage disappear. I don't pretend to know the future but I could see us losing STHs even if we are a winning program.

Personally, I would love us to have our own on campus arena with 10-12 thousand seats. Keep the relationship with the Bucks and play some big games there, kind of like what Villanova does. Give students free tickets. That place would be full and rocking every game. Feel like we could make more money because all the revenue would be coming our way. Not sure if that's how the finances would work but its what I would love to see. If only I ran the world.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 10:14:29 PM »
Got to plan for the future though, not the past. Across the nation attendance is going down. With TV only going to get better that is a trend that is likely to continue. Even historic programs like Duke have seen some of their home court advantage disappear. I don't pretend to know the future but I could see us losing STHs even if we are a winning program.

Personally, I would love us to have our own on campus arena with 10-12 thousand seats. Keep the relationship with the Bucks and play some big games there, kind of like what Villanova does. Give students free tickets. That place would be full and rocking every game. Feel like we could make more money because all the revenue would be coming our way. Not sure if that's how the finances would work but its what I would love to see. If only I ran the world.

It's a combination of things, but you aren't going to build an arena that holds fewer seats than you have STHs. Just doesn't make sense. Next, where on campus would it go? You need at least a full city block, and maybe two, especially if you want parking, which the campus area would never accommodate without a dedicated facility.

I understand the theoretical lure, but we live in an urban area that is mostly developed. If we tried to put it where the Al is, we'd have to tear down Cobeen and 707. Maybe tear down the Ramada and put it on 6th and Michigan (can they even do that?).

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I feel like it's a complete non-starter. Unless there's a reasonable plan, including both land and fundraising ability, I don't see the point to the discussion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 10:31:44 PM »
It's a combination of things, but you aren't going to build an arena that holds fewer seats than you have STHs. Just doesn't make sense. Next, where on campus would it go? You need at least a full city block, and maybe two, especially if you want parking, which the campus area would never accommodate without a dedicated facility.

I understand the theoretical lure, but we live in an urban area that is mostly developed. If we tried to put it where the Al is, we'd have to tear down Cobeen and 707. Maybe tear down the Ramada and put it on 6th and Michigan (can they even do that?).

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I feel like it's a complete non-starter. Unless there's a reasonable plan, including both land and fundraising ability, I don't see the point to the discussion.

Oh I'm sure this is the case. This was purely an "if I ran the world" scenario.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 11:51:26 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread. We certainly have some who complain about the crowd most of the time, so it's nice to have something where the crowd gets two thumbs-up.

I also like the arena discussion. I'm sure brew is right - MU won't play anywhere smaller than their STH base. Still, lots of schools certainly could draw more than their STH base but choose to make the events have a more exclusive feel.

I mean, Duke could probably draw more than double what they get at Cameron, but they don't play games at the Hurricanes' arena just to get the $$$. They have a long waiting list for tickets.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 12:04:55 AM »
All y'all need to relax.  Upon completion, the Benny B Thunderdome will settle the hearts of all. 

Groundbreaking is slated for 2035. Get your shovels ready.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2016, 07:52:56 AM »
All y'all need to relax.  Upon completion, the Benny B Thunderdome will settle the hearts of all. 

Groundbreaking is slated for 2035. Get your shovels ready.

We do need a marquee place for roller derby...we could share the place.

As for hypothetical homecourts...of course they're all hypothetical. There is no other place than the bucks new place. UWM, Al, etc are all out.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
We do need a marquee place for roller derby...we could share the place.

Banked track roller derby in the Austin convention center was one of the more memorable events I have attended in person -- good fun and good people watching.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »
Have wondered this too....

Take it to da bank, not happenin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »

...ah, free stuff?

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Banked track roller derby in the Austin convention center was one of the more memorable events I have attended in person -- good fun and good people watching.

+1  St. Louis a long time ago