'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Biggest Disappointment  (Read 11441 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: The Biggest Disappointment
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
Maybe they were not physically tired, but comming out in the second half their passes were not precise. 5 foot passes were getting stolen. Their passes did not seem sharp to me. Physically tired, mentally tired or just not in the game, you can mkae you own determination. They also did not force many turnovers, especially after 10 minutes of game time. Turnovers is what fuels their fast break. Just like the steal with about a minute to go that Crowder scored the winning basket on.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »
I said it earlier and i really think the collective basketball IQ of this board is about 0.0.  Just becuase people watch basketball does not mean they know anything about the game.

the statement " Blue did force a lot of shots and reminded me of last years Blue. Blue has to remember he is an open court player and should not be trying to drive against a zone."  

I mean really??  Seriously??  If the guards are not trying to attack gaps with the drive in a zone they should not be on the court.  vander is a pretty good driver of the ball ... he on a number of occasions was able to attack gaps and get to the rim.  The guy missed some F'ing layups last night and every idiot fan that has zero basketball IQ wants to rip him.  

So my question would be should we then have aplayer who lacks the ability to attack gaps out there or what?   I mean these comments are stupid.   I thought Vnader played quite well.  great passing, great defense, the guy missed some contested layups attacking a zone.  Anyone that has ever coached or played the game knows that you keep attacking and the percentage of those layups will even out over time.  Vander played well last night anyone coming on here saying differently only exposes themselves as a stupid no IQ basketball observer.

I never said he should not attack the gaps. He should not drive in and force a shot up when the shot blocker is there. When he has the guy beat than he should shoot. He also should not shoot threes unless he is completely open.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
I never said he should not attack the gaps. He should not drive in and force a shot up when the shot blocker is there. When he has the guy beat than he should shoot. He also should not shoot threes unless he is completely open.

As a coach mself that stresses shot selection on a daily basis, i felt Vander took one quick three in the first half that i was not crazy about.  His others shots were good shots most of which were inside 2 feet and simply did not fall.  And as a coach I would have told him to keep taking those shots and stay agressive, in film on the three i would have told him we can get a better shot than that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
Im going to avoid the Vander argument for a minute, but putting the missed free throw blame on DJO is foolish. Has he missed some big ones? Yes, I remember USF last year for one. But I remember over the last few years our WHOLE team has struggled to hit late freebies......even Zar who shot them at 80%.

People conviently forget the free throws against Uconn two years ago where DJO had to make all 3. That was the win that turned that season around. If he "misses big free throws like he always does" who the hell knows where our program is at currently.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
As a coach mself that stresses shot selection on a daily basis, i felt Vander took one quick three in the first half that i was not crazy about.  His others shots were good shots most of which were inside 2 feet and simply did not fall.  And as a coach I would have told him to keep taking those shots and stay agressive, in film on the three i would have told him we can get a better shot than that.

I agree.  That 2nd 3 he took was the wrong shot, wrong time.  The first 3 was the right shot.  If he passed it up, I would have been critical (as a coach).  In the corner, the flow of the ball was for that shot.  Jones took one earlier, and missed.  Still, that is the right shot at that time.

I thought he forced a drive or two.  On the other hand, so did DJO, Junior, Mayo, Crowder ...  You have to be careful with over coaching.  Point it out in film, but you don't want to take away too much of their aggressiveness, as that is what makes the team.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »
You're kidding, right?

I can't compete with you on a offensive efficiency basis.  Vander got PT the only way Buzz gives it to freshman, by playing defense. 

You cannot say he had a terrible season when he played in every game as a freshman.  If he sucked he would have gotten splinters like JJ.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »

Season checklist
(x) Non-conference near-miss against inferior opponent (sky falls on Scoop)
( ) Non-conference stinker to inferior opponent (more sky-falling)
( ) Non-conference loss on big stage convinces board MU not ready for Big East
( ) Unmentionable conference loss
( ) Road Game we weren't supposed to win
( ) Late surge
( ) Top-half Big East Finish

That is great hustle.  Well done, sir.

feedback