collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Can we have a politics section on this board?  (Read 5023 times)

KipsBayEagle

OT: Can we have a politics section on this board?
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:10:02 PM »
With all the stuff thats going on in Wisconsin, and in the world, it would be nice to have a forum where we could speak with other marquette students/ grads about whats going on.  It could be in its own seperate tab, so that if people don't want to get offended, they simply don't have to click on it.  As much as I love the basketball talk and the superbar, it would be nice to have another forum to discuss these issues.

Coleman

• All American
Re: OT: Can we have a politics section on this board?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
I have to disagree. I personally love the politics-free zone of MUScoop. I get it all the time on facebook, class, work, TV. Its refreshing to come on and just talk basketball. I also have at least a neutral to positive opinion of everyone on here, even Chicos.  ;)  I'd hate to see that changed with the inevitable garbage that is always spewed on political discussion.

And if you think its ugly now with petty nonsense and personal bickering between certain members, just wait until you bring political affiliations into the equation.

I love MUScoop! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:33:58 PM by Victor McCormick »

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
I have to disagree. I personally love the politics-free zone of MUScoop. I get it all the time on facebook, class, work, TV. Its refreshing to come on and just talk basketball. I also have at least a neutral to positive opinion of everyone on here, even Chicos.  ;)  I'd hate to see that changed with the inevitable garbage that is always spewed on political discussion.

And if you think its ugly now with petty nonsense and personal bickering between certain members, just wait until you bring political affiliations into the equation.

I love MUScoop! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!
If you don't like it you can just never click on the politics section if we had one.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
Its not just about me. Its about the other people, who do choose to go, intensifying already petty bickering and stupid personal stuff and then bringing those grudges and feelings to the other boards.

Politics is divisive stuff. You can't say with a straight face that a separate board on politics isn't going to affect the way people talk to one another on the other boards.

And there's no shortage of places to talk about it on the internet. I'd actually argue its unavoidable, with refreshing exceptions such as MuScoop.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:43:09 PM by Victor McCormick »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
If you don't like it you can just never click on the politics section if we had one.

In that same vein, you can also go talk politics at jsonline, BigGovernment, Drudge, Huffington, DailyKos...wherever.  My understanding is that the back in the day government talk here on the Scoop spilled over a bunch to the other boards, ticking a lot of people who wanted none of it.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:51:19 PM »
We had one. It was a nightmare. Sorry, but not a chance.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

Obama sucks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:47:21 PM »

I disagreed with the decision at the time, but I have come to believe you all made the right choice.   With the amount of personal antipathy generated when the topic is restricted to MU hoops, I shudder to think how much there would be if there was a political board. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
As a teacher, I would love if we didn't talk about it on here.

MUscoop is one place I can go to GET AWAY from it, and not have people either supporting or bashing my profession... makes life good for me.  It also becomes too personal for me, so my vote is no.

Although - what is happening in WI right now is something that at some point may make history books hundreds of years from now.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »
Long live MU alum Scott Walker (yes, he is an alum even though he didn't graduate)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
Long live MU alum Scott Walker (yes, he is an alum even though he didn't graduate)

This is why I don't want politics discussion.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »

Way to go.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
Obama sucks.

For a kenyan he's a terrible runner

word

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
I'm ok with him living long, just preferably not as a governor or any other form of politician.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
Hey, no politics! 
Chicos, I agree, and couldn't agree more re being politcally-free.  hard enough on occaision to understand some posters' logic; would be exacerbated with a political slant.
while not a vote, I vote no politics.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »
I'm with you, MUMac.   Tired of hearing firefighter, police officers, teachers are the root of society's problem.   (In under the lock)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
I'm with you, MUMac.   Tired of hearing firefighter, police officers, teachers are the root of society's problem.   (In under the lock)

Fixed.

groove

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
For a kenyan he's a terrible runner

word

a muslim at that

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
I'm with you, MUMac.   Tired of hearing firefighter, police officers, teachers are the root of society's problem.   (In under the lock)

Not the root, but when you're getting $100K in compensation to teach 9 months and a pension of your highest paid 3 years....no wonder we have people retiring at age 55 while everyone else is having to cover their pensions (plus their OWN retirement and their OWN health care).  

I don't blame the teachers, fire fighters, police either.  I blame the politicians for thinking there would never be a rainy day and being absolutely absurd with taxpayer funded liabilities.  It's insane.  I live in a state that is totally broke as a result.  $27BILLION in the hole.

When you have politicians bargaining with the very people that are putting you in office, that's a problem.  There's a reason why almost no Federal employees have collective bargaining.  A reason why FDR opposed it.

I feel bad for the teachers, as they were certainly given a deal that all parties agreed upon.  My problem with it is the guys on the other side of the table are supposed to be "negotiating" not giving away the store.  When they give away the store in order to get their backing in money and votes, there is a serious problem with the system.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:03:26 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 04:03:02 PM »
unmanageable, but Democracy triumphs in WI!