[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka’s Coaching Staff  (Read 55763 times)

Knight Commission

• All American
Re: Shaka’s Coaching Staff
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »
Does anyone really know how this process works?  Is it all quid pro quo? Isn’t hiring an assistant about who they can recruit vs their capabilities?   Gotta think there are a lot of assistants trying to get recruits to commit?  Hence the delay in timing. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
You don't want to be included in the Scoop Colectivo?

Is that like an aperitivo?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2021, 03:25:22 PM »

Yes, except it is overpriced coffee.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2021, 03:28:59 PM »
Beans and Barley has good coffee along with their soup.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2021, 03:35:11 PM »

Colectivo has become an umbrella term for armed paramilitary groups that operate in poverty-stricken areas and attack individuals, engaging in "extortion, kidnapping, drug trafficking and murder". They are associated with extrajudicial killings and terrorizing those who disagree with them.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2021, 04:01:50 PM »
I think they would be better off hiring a herd of cats.

A group of cats is called a clowder. It can also be called a glaring, particularly if the cats are uncertain of each other. A litter of kittens can also be called a kindle.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »
A group of cats is called a clowder. It can also be called a glaring, particularly if the cats are uncertain of each other. A litter of kittens can also be called a kindle.

Is the lack of cats in our program a glaring weakness?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2021, 05:36:17 PM »

What?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2021, 05:42:11 PM »

Watt's a harry, wet, kat, den, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2021, 06:18:22 PM »
Presutti was dead meat if Wojo stayed.  He won’t be back.  Aidoo backing out of his commitment could be the end of Gainey.  As far as the Wojo era staff is concerned, Shaka should just burn it all.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »

Their hummus was king though
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2021, 06:52:14 PM »
Is the lack of cats in our program a glaring weakness?

I understand we're transitioning to walri, or walrus, or walrii...oh heck, let's find an image.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2021, 07:00:27 PM »
Presutti was dead meat if Wojo stayed.  He won’t be back.  Aidoo backing out of his commitment could be the end of Gainey.  As far as the Wojo era staff is concerned, Shaka should just burn it all.

It's probably as simple as saying if Presutti had been sent packing, Wojo would still be here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2021, 07:58:25 PM »
It's probably as simple as saying if Presutti had been sent packing, Wojo would still be here.

When you're right, you're right.  Not only would Wojo have had to replace Killings with a more experienced assistant, but I think for the sake of optics, Scholl and Lovell wanted some heads to roll to give the fans their pound of flesh, a la Louisville.  That would've been Presutti and Judson.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:01:57 PM by Silent Verbal »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »
I am not sure why all the Presutti hate. He is a very accomplished young assistant coach on the rise. Has done a good job at every level of basketball he has been in at, and actually has a lot of connections. He was very well liked by the players.  This was his first year as a young assistant and he was doing fine, and even has us in the finals for  the Kordell Charles recruitment.
https://twitter.com/kordellcharls/status/1331056251149619201

The issue with Wojo was about filling the departed Killings position with some highly experienced former head coach, which was abhorent to Wojo.

All that said, I think one day after the coaching carousel winds down there will be an announcement that Presutti has joined some other colleges coaching staff.  Shaka hired Cody Hatt who is at a similar place in his coaching career, only room for one guy at that level.

https://marquettewire.org/4032977/sports/presutti-brings-family-atmosphere-syracuse-roots-to-marquette-as-assistant-coach/
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2021, 08:27:54 PM »
I am not sure why all the Presutti hate. He is a very accomplished young assistant coach on the rise. Has done a good job at every level of basketball he has been in at, and actually has a lot of connections. He was very well liked by the players.  This was his first year as a young assistant and he was doing fine, and even has us in the finals for  the Kordell Charles recruitment.
https://twitter.com/kordellcharls/status/1331056251149619201

The issue with Wojo was about filling the departed Killings position with some highly experienced former head coach, which was abhorent to Wojo.

All that said, I think one day after the coaching carousel winds down there will be an announcement that Presutti has joined some other colleges coaching staff.  Shaka hired Cody Hatt who is at a similar place in his coaching career, only room for one guy at that level.

https://marquettewire.org/4032977/sports/presutti-brings-family-atmosphere-syracuse-roots-to-marquette-as-assistant-coach/
You shouldn't be posting until Sunday
Goal is National Championship

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »
I am not sure why all the Presutti hate. He is a very accomplished young assistant coach on the rise.

I don't have an issue with Presutti personally, but promoting the video coordinator who had no previous experience being an actual Assistant Coach was a lazy move by Wojo. You only get three Assistants who can recruit on the staff and we had a lot of holes to fill in July of 2019 when he started. He brought in nobody in 2019...nobody in 2020...and nobody in 2021. He may be the best Video Coordinator/DBO in the world, but failed at bringing talent in to the program at a time of need. According to the current job posting for Assistant Coach, recruiting student athletes is the top requirement.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2021, 10:08:40 PM »

I prefer an affogato.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2021, 10:10:05 PM »
I understand we're transitioning to walri, or walrus, or walrii...oh heck, let's find an image.

This post will not please Muggsy.

You have been warned.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2021, 10:14:44 PM »
I don't have an issue with Presutti personally, but promoting the video coordinator who had no previous experience being an actual Assistant Coach was a lazy move by Wojo. You only get three Assistants who can recruit on the staff and we had a lot of holes to fill in July of 2019 when he started. He brought in nobody in 2019...nobody in 2020...and nobody in 2021. He may be the best Video Coordinator/DBO in the world, but failed at bringing talent in to the program at a time of need. According to the current job posting for Assistant Coach, recruiting student athletes is the top requirement.
He was the DBO since 2017. That person that occupies that position is very important to the recruiting process because they are the direct interface that sets up  and coordinates the recruiting visits both official and unofficial  with the parents and the players.  This is a key unsung role in the recruitment process.

When Jake got hired in July 2019 there was literally two weeks of recruiting periods left and he did an admirable job filling in for where Nelson left off. At that stage the recruiting is all about having multiple coaches watching a player in the summer games, I am sure you have seen the reports that say XYZ University 3 deep for prospect PDQ .
From there he went right into the season where the whole goal of recruiting is for all the assistants and head coaches to pull together to get the kids to actually sign. The head coach can't be everywhere and there is still a lot of care and feeding and daily dialogue. MU signed three prospects that fall. Jake also was the coach assigned to putting  his efforts into developing early relationships with the class of 2022 and 2023 prospects, where there could be a longer lead time necessary for relationship building.   After that Covid hit and cancelled  on site recruiting and everything had to be done via video for the 20-21 recruiting cycle. So it is not fair to see he accomplished nothing.

I don't think the hire was a lazy one , as much as one made for expediency given the late hire by Holy Cross of Brett Nelson. If Nelson left earlier, I imagine that assistant spot would have been filled with a more experienced person and Persutti would have eventually gone to another school for his first assistant coaching job. The circumstances didn't allow for that.
            ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2021, 11:08:19 PM »
Shaka, Hatt, Gainey, Dollar would be a strong staff.

Shake a hat, gain a dollar?  This must be magic.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2021, 05:51:23 AM »

Watt's a harry, wet, kat, den, hey?

Game Ready Paradise, in the '70's

Death on call

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2021, 07:40:34 AM »

Wojo pretty much always hired his assistants from outside.  Stan, Killings, Gainey....  He wasn't one to make "lazy" hires. 

I agree with Herman here.  I have no idea why Jake has become this object of derision.  Clearly Wojo saw something in him and promoted him - just like what happens in a real life workplace.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2021, 08:01:58 AM »
Hopefully, Shaka has the option to choose his own assistants and isn't just saddled with the leftovers from the Wojo era.

Shaka will be able to attract very qualified assistants to help build his culture and vision for the program.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:04:17 AM by blue and gold »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2021, 08:09:50 AM »
If there are any assistants retained from Wojo it will be because Shaka wants them - not because he would be "saddled" with them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback