'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Offical NCAA Tournament thread  (Read 151068 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Offical NCAA Tournament thread
« Reply #1750 on: April 05, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
Two questions;

Would you draft Suggs over Cade Cunningham?

Is it conceivable Mitchell will be the better pro than both of them?

Maybe I'm way off but Davion Mitchell has impressed me the most in the tournament.  He's only 6'2 but he's heavy, definitely in the 200 lbs range.  And the kid is tenacious defensively.  Someone made the comparison to Donavan Mitchell,  I think that's pretty accurate but without the insane hops?

We're in for a real treat tonight with Suggs and Mitchell, not to mention the rest of the guys.  I think Gonzaga has at least 4 NBA players and Baylor probably has 3.  I'm rooting for Gonzaga but the way the game is officiated on the perimeter could give Baylor the edge.  They're extremely physical and I don't expect touch fouls to be called.  I'm gonna go 87-80 Zags but not sure why. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: April 05, 2021, 10:10:30 AM »
I'm going with Gonzaga, if for no other reason because teams that won their last game big time tend to have a letdown the next game and teams that had an unexpected scare tend to play a great game next time. In true Scoop tradition, I have no facts to back up my statements but since I said them, they must be true.

There seems to be quite a bit of hatred towards Timme. The (past) BE equivalent, I think, would be Macura but Dodds would probably say .....put Macura,.... Mac Clung,......and Powell ....in a blender.....
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1752 on: April 05, 2021, 10:11:25 AM »
We tend to overvalue the tournament when it comes to Draft stock. I'd still take Cunningham first and Mobley second. I like Suggs and think he'll be a great pro, but his size isn't what those other guys at the top have. Green & Kuminga are also in that top-5 mix.

I like Mitchell, but he's 6'2" and older than the others. He should be a lottery pick and I expect a solid pro, but he doesn't have the upside of the top prospects. Could be end up being the best? I suppose, but it's really hard to envision a 6'2" combo guard being better than this incredibly strong top tier of picks.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: April 05, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »
I'm going with Gonzaga, if for no other reason because teams that won their last game big time tend to have a letdown the next game and teams that had an unexpected scare tend to play a great game next time. In true Scoop tradition, I have no facts to back up my statements but since I said them, they must be true.

I feel like this is true, too, but the same caveat that I have nothing to back it up with.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1754 on: April 05, 2021, 10:14:22 AM »
I'm going with Baylor - and a rather comfortable 8-12 point margin.  I thought Gonzaga was disturbingly easy to score against on Saturday, and I think their backcourt length is going to frustrate the Zags.

Which means Gonzaga will win by 20.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: April 05, 2021, 10:14:59 AM »
Cunningham hands down should be the #1 pick, and he will be.

Suggs is really good though and definitely a guy you can be thrilled about drafting top 3.

Mitchell is easily Baylors all around best and most important player. He will be a quality pro. But I highly doubt he ever gets close to being a NBA "star".
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: April 05, 2021, 10:28:22 AM »
I'm going with Baylor - and a rather comfortable 8-12 point margin.  I thought Gonzaga was disturbingly easy to score against on Saturday, and I think their backcourt length is going to frustrate the Zags.

Which means Gonzaga will win by 20.

I am rooting for Gonzaga but can see this happening. I believe Gonzaga-Baylor is a matchup of Gonzaga’s top offense against Baylor’s top defense. Both their strengths will be on the same side of the court.

In a National Title game, I feel like I’d bet on the defense rather than the offense. Seems many are ugly games with nerves and two good teams. Maybe Gonzaga got that out of the way against UCLA, but we will see.

I’m just glad we are getting a matchup of the two best teams.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: April 05, 2021, 10:31:01 AM »
I thought the reports that Jalen Suggs and Paige Bueckers have been friends since elementary schools were cool. For those who haven't paid any attention to WBB, Bueckers is a freshman at UCONN and was just named named NPOY. Both made the FF. It turned out to be a pretty good freshman year for the two long-time friends. Both are AA (Buecker's first team; Suggs second); both were First Team All-Conference; both were Frosh/Newcomer of the year in their respective conferences. Suggs made it a little farther in the tournament than Bueckers, but she'll she'll probably win 2-3 championships before she's done. I guess Suggs will have to make due with his NBA millions after this year.

I mentioned on the WBB thread in the Superbar last week.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1758 on: April 05, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »
Nova is a football school?

Yes. They won a FCS National title in 2009 and have sent some prominent players to the NFL (Howie Long, Bryant Westbrook).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: April 05, 2021, 10:59:33 AM »
Yes. They won a FCS National title in 2009 and have sent some prominent players to the NFL (Howie Long, Bryant Westbrook).

Well, that doesn't mean they are what most would describe as a "football school." When one thinks of "football schools" that also excel at basketball, one might currently think of Florida State, Alabama, Baylor, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc.

I would list Nova as a "basketball school" that also fields a football program, like Kansas, UCLA and Duke.

But really, it's all semantics, and folks can list any school however they'd like. However, I don't think it's wrong to raise one's eyebrows if somebody else calls Villanova a "football school."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1760 on: April 05, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
Well, that doesn't mean they are what most would describe as a "football school." When one thinks of "football schools" that also excel at basketball, one might currently think of Florida State, Alabama, Baylor, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc.

I would list Nova as a "basketball school" that also fields a football program, like Kansas, UCLA and Duke.

But really, it's all semantics, and folks can list any school however they'd like. However, I don't think it's wrong to raise one's eyebrows if somebody else calls Villanova a "football school."

I'm referring to a school WITH a football program. G-town's is glorified HS but they still have a football program. MU is the last national champ that represented an institution without football (thus, classified as I-AAA and not FBS or FCS).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1761 on: April 05, 2021, 11:49:39 AM »
Villanova did not have an active football team when they won the 1985 national championship.  They went on hiatus from 1981 until the fall of 1985.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1762 on: April 05, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »

I feel like this is true, too, but the same caveat that I have nothing to back it up with.

Ditto for me...especially the part about having no facts to back it up with.

Long live Scoop!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: April 05, 2021, 01:33:26 PM »
As I sit here right now, I'm thinking Baylor wins. But I reserve the right to change my mind.

Maybe even before game time - ha!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: April 05, 2021, 01:41:40 PM »
We tend to overvalue the tournament when it comes to Draft stock. I'd still take Cunningham first and Mobley second. I like Suggs and think he'll be a great pro, but his size isn't what those other guys at the top have. Green & Kuminga are also in that top-5 mix.

I like Mitchell, but he's 6'2" and older than the others. He should be a lottery pick and I expect a solid pro, but he doesn't have the upside of the top prospects. Could be end up being the best? I suppose, but it's really hard to envision a 6'2" combo guard being better than this incredibly strong top tier of picks.

Well they obviously didn't envision Donavan Mitchell being better than perhaps everyone in the 2017 draft outside of Tatum, did they?  I'm just throwing it out there and am no expert but the kid has a lot of similar tools.  There are constantky whiffs in the lottery.  I agree on Cunningham and Suggs being excellent prospects and close to a lock at 1/2.  After that I wouldn't put any stock in the so called draft experts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: April 05, 2021, 02:17:04 PM »
Well they obviously didn't envision Donavan Mitchell being better than perhaps everyone in the 2017 draft outside of Tatum, did they?  I'm just throwing it out there and am no expert but the kid has a lot of similar tools.  There are constantky whiffs in the lottery.  I agree on Cunningham and Suggs being excellent prospects and close to a lock at 1/2.  After that I wouldn't put any stock in the so called draft experts.

Very true about Donovan Mitchell. He was too small, and too defensive-oriented. Lots of organizations kicking themselves today for passing on him, including the Hornets. And this Mitchell does remind me of that Mitchell, too. We'll see if he can develop into anywhere near as good a player. He's got a long way to go.

I don't see how any team could pass on Cunningham. Nice size and wonderful skill set, with an ability to grow his game even more. Suggs will be very good at the next level, though.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: April 05, 2021, 05:07:36 PM »
Very true about Donovan Mitchell. He was too small, and too defensive-oriented. Lots of organizations kicking themselves today for passing on him, including the Hornets. And this Mitchell does remind me of that Mitchell, too. We'll see if he can develop into anywhere near as good a player. He's got a long way to go.

I don't see how any team could pass on Cunningham. Nice size and wonderful skill set, with an ability to grow his game even more. Suggs will be very good at the next level, though.

I get CC and JS.  That's fair.  But I see Mitchell projected outside the top 14 in some of the mocks which I think is pretty off.  You wonder if Suggs and Mitchell match-up tonight how that will impact their draft?  Suggs is taller and a better all around offensive player but Iwouldn't be particularly worried about Davion being only 6'2..  Bouknight is better a better prospect imo. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: April 05, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »
Just saw an interesting graphic on ESPN:

This is the 5th time #1 v #2 for the title. ... Previous 4 times, the #2 team won.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: April 05, 2021, 07:15:10 PM »
When was the last time a non power 6 basketball school won the big dance and who was it

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: April 05, 2021, 07:18:27 PM »
When was the last time a non power 6 basketball school won the big dance and who was it

Had to be UNLV, right?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1770 on: April 05, 2021, 07:21:05 PM »
Had to be UNLV, right?
Good Answer Probably

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1771 on: April 05, 2021, 07:22:00 PM »
Guessing the AAC is not in the so-called power 6. Connecticut in 2014.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: April 05, 2021, 07:28:10 PM »

Michigan State 2000

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: April 05, 2021, 07:30:21 PM »
Guessing the AAC is not in the so-called power 6. Connecticut in 2014.
Good Answer Also. Then you you Have UNLV 1990. Then Marquette 1977 although currently Power 6 also. Then UTEP 1966. There are not many.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: April 05, 2021, 07:31:07 PM »

feedback