[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by tower912
[May 12, 2024, 08:23:11 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by We R Final Four
[May 12, 2024, 12:18:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Offical NCAA Tournament thread  (Read 151251 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Offical NCAA Tournament thread
« Reply #1700 on: April 04, 2021, 07:55:59 AM »
I immediately thought of Laettner, but then realized we had a buzzer beater for the title just a few years ago: Jenkins beating UNC. That game gets forgotten.

This is #2 for an overall best tourney game behind UK/Duke that I have seen.

I forgot about the Nova vs UNC game.  Probably because I didn't see it live.  That is another great game with an iconic finish.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1701 on: April 04, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »
I would agree that the Nova / UNC ending was better due to it being for the national championship, but the distance of Suggs's shot gives it some "upvotes" in my mind.

I would rank both over Duke / Kentucky...mostly because I didn't see that one live.  ;)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: April 04, 2021, 08:26:17 AM »
The Nova/UNC game wasn't nearly as good as last night imo.  The final 5 mins were but until that point it wasn't a back and forth contest and nip and tuck the entire way.  The shooting percentages last night were crazy high and the overall quality of play was better than Nova/UNC.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1703 on: April 04, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »
I agree with that Muggs.  During the pregame, the panel was talking about how UCLA was going to have to play a game in the 60s for them to be competitive.  It was clear halfway through the first half that a score like that wasn't going to be necessary. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: April 04, 2021, 08:43:33 AM »
The UCLA offense was incredible.  Four players played their A game fior 40 min and Juzang and Campbell were basically perfect.  You have to really feel for those kids because they couldn't have done more and executed flawlessly.  It's a shame the stadium was empty but perhaps having no fans alleviated some of the pressure? 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1705 on: April 04, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: April 04, 2021, 08:57:13 AM »
The UCLA offense was incredible.  Four players played their A game fior 40 min and Juzang and Campbell were basically perfect.  You have to really feel for those kids because they couldn't have done more and executed flawlessly.  It's a shame the stadium was empty but perhaps having no fans alleviated some of the pressure?
Yep, it’s hard for a team to lose on a low percentage bank shot from 40 feet out in a game like that.  Great for the Zags, but a real heartbreaker for the Bruins.  Empty stadiums really have impacted the games one way or another.  They feel more like scrimmages.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: April 04, 2021, 09:05:28 AM »
There's no program more wretched than Baylor. The absolute worst of college sports. I hope Gonzaga does to them what Kansas did to us in 2003.
100% agreed.  I told both my daughters I would pay for any college they picked except Baylor and Michigan State.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: April 04, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
A few observations after having seen countless replays and getting to sleep on it ...

1. Absolutely amazing game. Agree it was better than the UNC-Nova game, probably the Duke-Kentucky game or pretty much any other I can think of. This one was close the entire way. You could tell pretty early on that UCLA was gonna give the Zags the fight of their lives. Back and forth all night, lots of strategy, lots of incredible plays and moments. Both teams played very, very well most of the night. There weren't a lot of mistakes, either physical or mental. The coaching was sharp. There wasn't a parade of fouls and time-outs late in regulation or OT. This game deserved an incredible ending, and it got one. Although the Marquette fan in me has incredibly fond memories of the Rivers-half-court-vs-ND game, the Sam-ties-Creighton game and others, I can't objectively think of a game that was better, from beginning to end, than this one. That it was played on the biggest stage, with one team desperately hanging on to keep their unbeaten season and championship hopes alive, just amplifies it.

2. Refs have to call fouls in real time. They don't have the benefit of countless replays and angles. On the Suggs' block, the ref was in perfect position. In real time, it's a 50-50 call. I've watched the replay 25 times, and yes, zoomed in and in slo-mo, it looks like Suggs might have gotten Riley on the hand or arm, but on some angles it looks totally clean. Had a foul been called, I wouldn't be outraged at all, but I have absolutely no problem with the no-call there. That Suggs followed it up by chasing down the rebound and making that pass to Timme ... and a little while later with his winning shot. Incredible.

3. I loved the charge call. Timme was there well before Juzang got to him. Timme held his ground. Just putting the arm in front of his chest does not disqualify him being in the right position. Gene Steratore, who has no problem saying refs got a call wrong, strongly backed this call, and I agree with him. That the ref had the guts to make it in that situation, I give him a big thumbs-up. I mean, think of all the horrible charge/block calls we've seen - this sure as shyte wasn't one of 'em.

4. Timme cracks me up. I see why others don't like his act, but I think it's fun. As a human being, he might be a douche ... or he might be the greatest guy in the world ... or something in between those extremes. Not a single one of us knows.

5. If Gonzaga wins Monday, they will have had an incredible, incredible accomplishment. They will have beaten everybody on their schedule, mostly by decisive margins, and won their first title to cap the first undefeated season in nearly a half-century. They would deserve to be in a "greatest ever" conversation. They would not be my choice, however. I believe there have been quite a few other teams - some that went undefeated and some that lost a time or three - that were stocked with future NBA stars, that had to survive twice-a-week battles in great conferences, and that simply were better. But I do see why others would put the Zags No. 1, and I do like this team. As with most of this stuff, it's a matter of opinion.

6. Early on, I have seen Gonzaga as 5-point and 4.5-point favorites for the title game. I will be rooting for the Zags. Likeable team, the kind of coach I like to root for, chance to see history made. If Baylor is on, though, it is very easy to see them not just covering but winning.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: April 04, 2021, 09:47:15 AM »
One thing that I am absolutely dumbfounded about are the camera angles during these games, let alone the Final Four.  What exactly are these people doing?  Can they not get closer to the floor and broadcast it like a normal basketball game that we have seen the past 30 yrs? 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: April 04, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »
Five different calls of the game here, including Russian and Spanish.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1378549676681662466

If Tony Romo had been in the booth with Jim Nantz for Jalen Suggs’ buzzer beater to win the game for Gonzaga against UCLA

https://twitter.com/frankcaliendo/status/1378557137002012673?s=21

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: April 04, 2021, 10:15:31 AM »
On the final play of OT, clock management there. 3.3 seconds left after the make, it’s important to stop ball to force side to side dribble or a pass and clock runs out. UCLA had no timeouts left to set up its defense if it wanted to do that.

Campbell was caught in the far right corner after the make. He had been guarding Suggs, with lots of switching on D. He was running without urgency diagonally back after the make. 3 UCLA players running sideways back immediately on defense giving way too much space with only 3.3 seconds left. There was only one Gonzaga player besides Suggs in the offensive end at the time of the shot. There was only one UCLA player back and turned around.

Unfortunate way to lose a game, but UCLA stopped playing with 3.3 seconds left after playing a great game. And, a lucky banked 35-40 footer got them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:29:24 AM by shoothoops »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: April 04, 2021, 10:30:48 AM »
One thing that I am absolutely dumbfounded about are the camera angles during these games, let alone the Final Four.  What exactly are these people doing?  Can they not get closer to the floor and broadcast it like a normal basketball game that we have seen the past 30 yrs?
Yeah, hate those high long angles. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: April 04, 2021, 10:41:02 AM »
On the final play of OT, clock management there. 3.3 seconds left after the make, it’s important to stop ball to force side to side dribble or a pass and clock runs out. UCLA had no timeouts left to set up its defense if it wanted to do that.

Campbell was caught in the far right corner after the make. He had been guarding Suggs, with lots of switching on D. He was running without urgency diagonally back after the make. 3 UCLA players running sideways back immediately on defense giving way too much space with only 3.3 seconds left. There was only one Gonzaga player besides Suggs in the offensive end at the time of the shot. There was only one UCLA player back and turned around.

Unfortunate way to lose a game, but UCLA stopped playing with 3.3 seconds left after playing a great game. And, a lucky banked 35-40 footer got them.

This was all part of why it was brilliant that Few didn't call a time-out. A lot of coaches would have.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: April 04, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »

Seriously? They stoped playing. Read Cronin's explanation of the sequence and you will understand why your statement is wrong.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1715 on: April 04, 2021, 11:31:44 AM »

Tells you how good Gonzaga is. 4 out of 5 UCLA players played the games of their lives and it still wasn't enough.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1716 on: April 04, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »

Totally agree. A high-profile game like this should have better camera work and decision making in the production booth.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: April 04, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
Seriously? They stoped playing. Read Cronin's explanation of the sequence and you will understand why your statement is wrong.

Yes, seriously. It happens. It doesn't take away from their great game. They were ball watching and out of position on the last play.

Cronin said he trained his team to get back because of Gonzaga's transition offense. But, there were only 3.3 seconds left on the clock, and Suggs was allowed unguarded to go about 40 feet down floor because they weren't prepared/and weren't in position at the end. It would be different if there was more time left on the clock, get back first, then find your man etc...in the half court. With 3.3 seconds all it takes is any UCLA player stopping ball before half court even in a sagging defense to avoid a foul. You have to make Suggs pass, move side to side and OT is over because there would not be enough time left.

If you watch the play, Campbell, who otherwise had a good game, was ball watching and wasn't moving with urgency to move diagonally across the floor to guard his man and to stop ball.

3 other UCLA players were jumbled together turning around past mid court, instead of being spread out guarding someone with 3.3 seconds left. Gonzaga didn't have anyone of threat in the front court anyway.

Cronin put it on himself after the game for his players being out of position.

From 94 feet, Suggs was allowed to catch the ball on the run, dribble and shoot uncontested from 30-40 feet. It's a combination of not wanting to foul, thinking there is not enough time to get down the floor and get a shot off.

My first reaction was surprise at the cushion Suggs received with only 3.3 left. Suggs took advantage, running start, UCLA players out of position, and his desperation shot went in. But he had a pretty good look too.

Great game, and as Cronin said, he wasn't able to get his players to change their defense with 3.3 seconds left on the fly.

A little flashback to Tyus Edney here. 4.8 seconds off of a timeout. Didn't force pass or misdirection, and too much cushion from bigs to not foul.

https://youtu.be/NS8QCoYfzW8
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:43:39 AM by shoothoops »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1718 on: April 04, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
Agree with shoothoops.

I’m not gonna rip UCLA because they played an amazing game. But it’s hard to watch that last sequence without thinking they lost their focus at the worst time. Basketball 101 says “just stop the ball” in a last-second play like that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1719 on: April 04, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »
The most wild stat is that UCLA won all four factors and lost the game. That's virtually unheard of.

UCLA eFG%: 0.644
Gonzaga eFG%: 0.643

UCLA TO%: 11.7
Gonzaga TO%: 12.2

UCLA OReb%: 26.9
Gonzaga OReb%: 14.3

UCLA FT/FGA: 0.237
Gonzaga FT/FGA: 0.190

So what happened? Gonzaga basically had three extra possessions. They won the first half tip & had the last first half possession (+1), got the flagrant free throws & possession (+1), and won the overtime tip & had the last overtime possession (+1). So while the stats indicate a 74 possession game, it was more likely 76 for Gonzaga and 73 for UCLA.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: April 04, 2021, 11:50:43 AM »
Agree with shoothoops.

I’m not gonna rip UCLA because they played an amazing game. But it’s hard to watch that last sequence without thinking they lost their focus at the worst time. Basketball 101 says “just stop the ball” in a last-second play like that.

You hate to bring it up after such a great game. But my first reaction is always stop ball, even with a no foul cushion, to force pass, side to side dribble, anything that eats time and forces thought with few seconds left.

Duke vs Kentucky, didn't guard in bounds, allowed catch for fear of foul, and defense was straight up no move statue.

If there is more time, you then either decide for everyone to get back in half court d right away, or press. But with little time, find a man full court, and first priority is stop ball.

In some situations it can become a football like prevent defense.

In this situation, the kids were coached repeatedly to get back get back get back on transition d vs a transition power such as Gonzaga. And, that makes sense. But that situation requires something different. It isn't easy in that situation, a lot going on etc...but it's something that can be coached in practice.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1721 on: April 04, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »
Another thing about the last play, and what makes Gonzaga so hard to defend, is they look for transition attempts on opponent made baskets. Watch how fast they get the ball in and going back up the floor. As mentioned, UCLA knew that which is why everyone was getting back, but because of the focus on getting back, no one stopped the ball. It's also why a play like that and getting a good look is more natural for Gonzaga, because they're always attacking like that off makes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: April 04, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
Gonzaga vs UCLA with some shades of 1992 Duke vs Kentucky, 47 assists on 71 makes.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1723 on: April 04, 2021, 12:25:04 PM »
Agree with shoothoops.

That was my thought too. However, a coach friend mentioned how quickly GU inbounded the ball. UCLA didn’t have a chance to get into position.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1724 on: April 04, 2021, 12:35:05 PM »
The most wild stat is that UCLA won all four factors and lost the game.

So what you're saying is that Gonzaga couldn't win a single factor against an 11-seed. And that's supposed to be the greatest team ever?

(Love, Teal-less in Carolina)

feedback