[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OFFICIATING  (Read 10064 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: OFFICIATING
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2019, 11:08:54 AM »
I've mentioned this before but I am shocked at just how composed Wojo is compared to past years. Sam, Joey and Markus all had huge threes in the X game and I don't think Wojo even unfolded his arms.

Why would he? They are just meeting his expectations.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 11:52:45 AM »
I've mentioned this before but I am shocked at just how composed Wojo is compared to past years. Sam, Joey and Markus all had huge threes in the X game and I don't think Wojo even unfolded his arms.
Yeah, earlier in his coaching tenure at Marquette I used to remark that often times he looked like me at a game.  One of us is much more calm and mature at games these days......

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 12:01:41 PM »

Wojo is a weird hybrid of the Jay Wright calm and then some crazy intensity. I like it. Luckily he never approaches Bo Ryan as*holery.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2019, 12:13:48 PM »

Agreed. He used to be very demonstrative on the sidelines and I wondered if that caused our guys to play a little tight. Granted, he may be less demonstrative because we have better players and making less mistakes.

He seems to have more confidence about him that we will recover from a bad play and we have a little more margin for error. While every possession is important, we aren’t living and dying with every good or bad play.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
Very consistently bad.  Must be NFL refs doing NCAA b-ball on the side🤯🤬🤯
This is exactly the situation, including the ref from that NFC Championship game
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/27/bill-vinovich-refs-college-basketball-game-gets-heckled-over-saints-call/

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2019, 01:07:03 PM »
We see the same refs. may times every year, and then year after year, so the smart move is to play nice, nice.   Rowsey seemed to spend a lot of time bantering with the refs., I think it helped him on many levels. 

When the player gets intimidated by the ref. and then gets angry, it hurts all around.  I totally agree, composure is vital.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »
Overall, I give refs the benefit of the doubt because it is a very hard job to see everything little thing but I do expect consistency in calls.  If you call a hand check on a power forward you need to call it on the guards.  If you call it on one side of the court then call it on the other.  I think refs get themselves in trouble when they aren't consistent or when they try to do a make up call.  If you thought it was a foul or a turnover don't try to make up for it later.  Go with the call that you think it is.  I think they should allow for more replay but limit to something that is egregious.  The coach can ask for a replay but if it is a close call then the coach loses the option later.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »
Wojo is a weird hybrid of the Jay Wright calm and then some crazy intensity.

Kind of like that Duke coach.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »
Kind of like that Duke coach.

I am not sure I have ever seen that Duke coach loose his cool at a game. I assumed he let Wojo do that for him.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2019, 02:26:31 PM »
Dumb question:  Do coaches ever talk to the refs before the game about stuff like that?

I mean, could Wojo go up to the refs and say, "You know, our #4 has been working really hard on clean blocks and jumping straight up with his hands above his head when defending a shot, but he still seems to get fouls called on him anyway.  Is there anything else he can do to avoid the foul call?"

I mean, he wouldn't really be looking for an actual answer, but I think it would at least prompt the refs pay a little more attention.

Ref: Nope!

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
I am not sure I have ever seen that Duke coach loose his cool at a game. I assumed he let Wojo do that for him.

The premise was intensity, not losing one’s cool.  There is a difference.  Whether that be laying into a player who’s made a mistake, jumping off the bench after a great play or display of hustle, or occasionally laying into an official, Coach K can get his temples popping with the best of them.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2019, 03:30:02 PM »
The premise was intensity, not losing one’s cool.  There is a difference.  Whether that be laying into a player who’s made a mistake, jumping off the bench after a great play or display of hustle, or occasionally laying into an official, Coach K can get his temples popping with the best of them.

All of this, good points!  I’ve seen coach shashefski get rankled.  The thing is, he has that “Jordan” like respect where he doesn’t have to get as animated as say, a Bruce pearl for the refs to feel the heat. Certain people have a charisma about them and in coach k’s case, well earned and deserved.  If coach k were to absolutely lose it, aka huggy bear-esque, either something really bad was missed by the refs or he was having a medical issue
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback