collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: sobelmans and bombers  (Read 17619 times)

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
sobelmans and bombers
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:41 PM »
I've had many sobelman/double sobelman burgers in my time. They get better and better every time I go. However I recently had a cheeseburger from bombers and I really don't think you can really compare the two of them simply because they both soooo out-of-this-world good. It's oddly similar choosing between kobe or lebron. The burger i had from bombers had a hockey-puck sized cheese curd on the burger. Every bite was an explosion of everything awesome (lebron). However sobelmans is the proven champ (Kobe) and just will not accept defeat.

The only possible solution I can think of is to continue taste testing as much as possible until a winner has been solidified.

KCmastapeace

• Walk-On
Re: sobelmans and bombers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
A wonderful solution to this delicate topic could be to simply cover the sobleman burger in their wonderful tasting balls of cheese.  Your taste bud virginity of the burger/cheeseball combo was ripped away from you with that first bite of the bombers burger, however if you break the burger down piece by piece soblemans will reign supreme.  Therefore simply but the sobleman cheese balls on your sobleman burger and bombers will become an afterthought in the game of life......and food

With that being said, I'm extremely hungry now and would love to stuff my mouth with soblemans meat sandwhich

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
I am convinced Sobelman's could make money as a bakery just selling their fresh burger buns.  They are that good.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
I've had many sobelman/double sobelman burgers in my time. They get better and better every time I go. However I recently had a cheeseburger from bombers and I really don't think you can really compare the two of them simply because they both soooo out-of-this-world good. It's oddly similar choosing between kobe or lebron. The burger i had from bombers had a hockey-puck sized cheese curd on the burger. Every bite was an explosion of everything awesome (lebron). However sobelmans is the proven champ (Kobe) and just will not accept defeat.

The only possible solution I can think of is to continue taste testing as much as possible until a winner has been solidified.

So you are saying the bomber's burger is impressive, but will never win any best of Milwaukee awards until it finds some solid fries to go with it.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »
I am convinced Sobelman's could make money as a bakery just selling their fresh burger buns.  They are that good.

The buns on the Sobelman burger are made by a local bakery exclusively for Sobelman's. 

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:24:14 AM »
The buns on the Sobelman burger are made by a local bakery exclusively for Sobelman's. 

And thats why their burgers will always be better than bombers. If bombers got a better bun we'd have a debate

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »

This.

So you are saying the bomber's burger is impressive, but will never win any best of Milwaukee awards until it finds some solid fries to go with it.

And This.

The bun is or critical importance, and the fries aren't far behind.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

If this is a daily taste testing, I'd say the only thing to become solidified are your poor arteries

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
i've had both and i can attest that both are very good.  In a basketball comparison, this is how i would describe it. 

Soblemans will always be my favorite because it was my original local favorite (Michael Jordan).  it has the entire package and no matter who you are a fan of, you respect the finished product.  Bombers is very good and a up-n-comer and will be around (Derrick Rose).  it has perks, but will need to keep putting it all together every night.  Plus i believe it will have to win some award before the city adopts it as it's own. 

i will say the sweet potato fries at AJ Bombers are very good.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
When did this bombers place open, and where?  Was in Milwaukee in october and don't remember seeing/ hearing about it.

KCmastapeace

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Its on water street.  The place used to be a bar called The Corner which was a very popular under age bar for MU kids.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
Its on water street.  The place used to be a bar called The Corner which was a very popular under age bar for MU kids.
Oh, I remember the corner. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
Its on water street.  The place used to be a bar called The Corner which was a very popular under age bar for MU kids everyone.

Fixed for accuracy

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:01 PM »
And if you're my age, you remember when it used to be MacGillycuddy's, and you spent far too many days of your life inside.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
And if you're my age, you remember when it used to be MacGillycuddy's, and you spent far too many days of your life inside.

Yes, now I know what the heck people are talking about.  Right accross from Mels?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
Well Mel's is gone and McGillicuddy's is across from where Mel's use to be, but that's not where The Corner was.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »

Yes, now I know what the heck people are talking about.  Right accross from Mels?

McGillicuddy's, London Bridge, The Corner, Waters Edge, AJ Bombers. All the same building.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
Well Mel's is gone and McGillicuddy's is across from where Mel's use to be, but that's not where The Corner was.

damn it.  I need to get back to MKE.

I knew Mel's was gone, but i thought it sounded like McGillicuddys had gone under as well.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »
McGillicuddy's, London Bridge, The Corner, Waters Edge, AJ Bombers. All the same building.

I didn't realize McGillicuddy's use to be where Bomber's is now.  However, McGillicuddy's is still operating right near the SW corner of Water and Juneau.  For reference, Bomber's is Water and Knapp.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
I haven't gotten to Bombers yet but had my first Sobelmans today after going to last night's game.  technically, I went  to Sobelman's Tallgrass, so it was not the Black Angus but rather the grassfed.  Outstanding nevertheless and I agree that the bun makes the burger that much more outstanding.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »
wow-that list of drinking establishments makes me feel young.  back in about 1980-i worked at hegs-had to open it up at 6:00am sunday's.  walking past the 'lanche on my way to work, all you'd hear was the morning(poor)guy sweeping up all the glass from the previous night.  when people( term used loosely) would finish their glass or bottle, they'd just throw it on the floor.   then you'd look over by the pool tables and someone would start a body slide on the wet floor.  sometimes i wonder how we survived those days from...fill in the blank ;D ;D

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:10 AM »
My friends and I all live very close to Water St and, during basketball season, spend most of our Saturday afternoons at Bombers working on our hangovers.

Over the last couple of weeks, it has become abundantly clear that Bombers does not hold a candle to Sobelmans.

We were there is Saturday and three people at our table had ordered bloodies. none of them were good at all and we actually sent one back because it was that bad. this was not the first time that the bloodies were terrible (i am not afraid to say that they in fact were terrible). I ordered one two weeks ago and took no more than 3 sips. They are watered down too much with either pickle juice or they are just watering down their bloody mary mix, because they have been lacking the tomato juice consistency that you expect in a bloody.

I have also said for the longest time that i dont know why people think their burgers compare to sobelmans... they are not even close. Our last visit i said that i will only be ordering their chicken wings from now on. This weekend, because of heavy drinking that was going to follow my meal, I order the Bomber Burger (or AJ burger; whatever is top of the menu) and while not terrible, just was nothing special. There was no shock or awe to it. It was just a burger that you could get at any diner. I can now say with all certainty that upon our next visit... i WILL only be ordering the chicken wings, and if they disappoint, i will not be eating the next time i am there (other than P-Nuts).

In the debate between Sobelmans and Bombers, my vote will forever go to Sobelman's. I think a better oponent for Sobelmans is Five Guys. while they are two different burgers... in my opinion, you will be hard pressed to find a better burger in MKE.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
Food wars ..

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/milwaukeefoodwars.html?22491

AJ Bombers will take on Sobelman's in an episode of the Travel Channel's "Food Wars."

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »
I'm going to like watching the cocky overconfident inexperienced twitter goons get blown apart by the calm wiley veteran on national TV.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »
no question or doubt about it... Sobelman's wins this easily.

I might actually watch this show now.

I still cannot believe that AJ Bombers is getting this much hype. I just dont understand it. Five Guys is sooo much better than AJ Bombers, but it is a national chain and thus cannot be on the show.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire