collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: sobelmans and bombers  (Read 17524 times)

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
sobelmans and bombers
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:41 PM »
I've had many sobelman/double sobelman burgers in my time. They get better and better every time I go. However I recently had a cheeseburger from bombers and I really don't think you can really compare the two of them simply because they both soooo out-of-this-world good. It's oddly similar choosing between kobe or lebron. The burger i had from bombers had a hockey-puck sized cheese curd on the burger. Every bite was an explosion of everything awesome (lebron). However sobelmans is the proven champ (Kobe) and just will not accept defeat.

The only possible solution I can think of is to continue taste testing as much as possible until a winner has been solidified.

KCmastapeace

• Walk-On
Re: sobelmans and bombers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
A wonderful solution to this delicate topic could be to simply cover the sobleman burger in their wonderful tasting balls of cheese.  Your taste bud virginity of the burger/cheeseball combo was ripped away from you with that first bite of the bombers burger, however if you break the burger down piece by piece soblemans will reign supreme.  Therefore simply but the sobleman cheese balls on your sobleman burger and bombers will become an afterthought in the game of life......and food

With that being said, I'm extremely hungry now and would love to stuff my mouth with soblemans meat sandwhich

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
I am convinced Sobelman's could make money as a bakery just selling their fresh burger buns.  They are that good.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
I've had many sobelman/double sobelman burgers in my time. They get better and better every time I go. However I recently had a cheeseburger from bombers and I really don't think you can really compare the two of them simply because they both soooo out-of-this-world good. It's oddly similar choosing between kobe or lebron. The burger i had from bombers had a hockey-puck sized cheese curd on the burger. Every bite was an explosion of everything awesome (lebron). However sobelmans is the proven champ (Kobe) and just will not accept defeat.

The only possible solution I can think of is to continue taste testing as much as possible until a winner has been solidified.

So you are saying the bomber's burger is impressive, but will never win any best of Milwaukee awards until it finds some solid fries to go with it.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »
I am convinced Sobelman's could make money as a bakery just selling their fresh burger buns.  They are that good.

The buns on the Sobelman burger are made by a local bakery exclusively for Sobelman's. 

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:24:14 AM »
The buns on the Sobelman burger are made by a local bakery exclusively for Sobelman's. 

And thats why their burgers will always be better than bombers. If bombers got a better bun we'd have a debate

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »

This.

So you are saying the bomber's burger is impressive, but will never win any best of Milwaukee awards until it finds some solid fries to go with it.

And This.

The bun is or critical importance, and the fries aren't far behind.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

If this is a daily taste testing, I'd say the only thing to become solidified are your poor arteries

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
i've had both and i can attest that both are very good.  In a basketball comparison, this is how i would describe it. 

Soblemans will always be my favorite because it was my original local favorite (Michael Jordan).  it has the entire package and no matter who you are a fan of, you respect the finished product.  Bombers is very good and a up-n-comer and will be around (Derrick Rose).  it has perks, but will need to keep putting it all together every night.  Plus i believe it will have to win some award before the city adopts it as it's own. 

i will say the sweet potato fries at AJ Bombers are very good.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
When did this bombers place open, and where?  Was in Milwaukee in october and don't remember seeing/ hearing about it.

KCmastapeace

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Its on water street.  The place used to be a bar called The Corner which was a very popular under age bar for MU kids.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
Its on water street.  The place used to be a bar called The Corner which was a very popular under age bar for MU kids.
Oh, I remember the corner. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
Its on water street.  The place used to be a bar called The Corner which was a very popular under age bar for MU kids everyone.

Fixed for accuracy

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:01 PM »
And if you're my age, you remember when it used to be MacGillycuddy's, and you spent far too many days of your life inside.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
And if you're my age, you remember when it used to be MacGillycuddy's, and you spent far too many days of your life inside.

Yes, now I know what the heck people are talking about.  Right accross from Mels?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
Well Mel's is gone and McGillicuddy's is across from where Mel's use to be, but that's not where The Corner was.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »

Yes, now I know what the heck people are talking about.  Right accross from Mels?

McGillicuddy's, London Bridge, The Corner, Waters Edge, AJ Bombers. All the same building.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
Well Mel's is gone and McGillicuddy's is across from where Mel's use to be, but that's not where The Corner was.

damn it.  I need to get back to MKE.

I knew Mel's was gone, but i thought it sounded like McGillicuddys had gone under as well.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »
McGillicuddy's, London Bridge, The Corner, Waters Edge, AJ Bombers. All the same building.

I didn't realize McGillicuddy's use to be where Bomber's is now.  However, McGillicuddy's is still operating right near the SW corner of Water and Juneau.  For reference, Bomber's is Water and Knapp.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
I haven't gotten to Bombers yet but had my first Sobelmans today after going to last night's game.  technically, I went  to Sobelman's Tallgrass, so it was not the Black Angus but rather the grassfed.  Outstanding nevertheless and I agree that the bun makes the burger that much more outstanding.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »
wow-that list of drinking establishments makes me feel young.  back in about 1980-i worked at hegs-had to open it up at 6:00am sunday's.  walking past the 'lanche on my way to work, all you'd hear was the morning(poor)guy sweeping up all the glass from the previous night.  when people( term used loosely) would finish their glass or bottle, they'd just throw it on the floor.   then you'd look over by the pool tables and someone would start a body slide on the wet floor.  sometimes i wonder how we survived those days from...fill in the blank ;D ;D

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:10 AM »
My friends and I all live very close to Water St and, during basketball season, spend most of our Saturday afternoons at Bombers working on our hangovers.

Over the last couple of weeks, it has become abundantly clear that Bombers does not hold a candle to Sobelmans.

We were there is Saturday and three people at our table had ordered bloodies. none of them were good at all and we actually sent one back because it was that bad. this was not the first time that the bloodies were terrible (i am not afraid to say that they in fact were terrible). I ordered one two weeks ago and took no more than 3 sips. They are watered down too much with either pickle juice or they are just watering down their bloody mary mix, because they have been lacking the tomato juice consistency that you expect in a bloody.

I have also said for the longest time that i dont know why people think their burgers compare to sobelmans... they are not even close. Our last visit i said that i will only be ordering their chicken wings from now on. This weekend, because of heavy drinking that was going to follow my meal, I order the Bomber Burger (or AJ burger; whatever is top of the menu) and while not terrible, just was nothing special. There was no shock or awe to it. It was just a burger that you could get at any diner. I can now say with all certainty that upon our next visit... i WILL only be ordering the chicken wings, and if they disappoint, i will not be eating the next time i am there (other than P-Nuts).

In the debate between Sobelmans and Bombers, my vote will forever go to Sobelman's. I think a better oponent for Sobelmans is Five Guys. while they are two different burgers... in my opinion, you will be hard pressed to find a better burger in MKE.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
Food wars ..

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/milwaukeefoodwars.html?22491

AJ Bombers will take on Sobelman's in an episode of the Travel Channel's "Food Wars."

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »
I'm going to like watching the cocky overconfident inexperienced twitter goons get blown apart by the calm wiley veteran on national TV.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »
no question or doubt about it... Sobelman's wins this easily.

I might actually watch this show now.

I still cannot believe that AJ Bombers is getting this much hype. I just dont understand it. Five Guys is sooo much better than AJ Bombers, but it is a national chain and thus cannot be on the show.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »
no question or doubt about it... Sobelman's wins this easily.

I might actually watch this show now.

I still cannot believe that AJ Bombers is getting this much hype. I just dont understand it. Five Guys is sooo much better than AJ Bombers, but it is a national chain and thus cannot be on the show.

aj bombers has a very active twitter following. They're like a cult. A very gay cult

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
[bump]
News: http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/foodwarsheatup.html?22544
Food Wars tapes Thursday-saturday. so you can declare your allegiance on tape "If you're a partisan on either side of Milwaukee's burger wars and you want to declare your allegiance on camera, send an e-mail to foodfancasting@gmail.com."

Dave issued a rather acceptable terms of Surrender: http://ow.ly/i/1mQ2

The people at Bombers (bomber-philes?) have become utter dicks too: http://twitpic.com/1l0bd4

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
I like Bombers. Know some of the people there, nice folks. Good to very good burger.

But they're in for a whoopin, on two levels. First, the bun. Not even close. Second, the burger itself. The meat Bombers uses falls apart easily, and every burger becomes a mess because of it. The beef Sobelman's uses is far, far superior.

And you're right, the Bombers twitter groupies are really becoming tiresome.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
I like Bombers. Know some of the people there, nice folks. Good to very good burger.

But they're in for a whoopin, on two levels. First, the bun. Not even close. Second, the burger itself. The meat Bombers uses falls apart easily, and every burger becomes a mess because of it. The beef Sobelman's uses is far, far superior.

I agree. Both are exceptionally tasty. they're on a completely different level than any other place in Milwaukee. But the Sobel-bun is exceptional. But you're two points are dead on.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »

I too have gotten to know quite a few of the people who work at Bombers and they are really nice. I also like how they do try different burger options to try and keep the menu fresh - though I wish they would go more Kuma with some of their efforts.

But, they are going to crushed on foodwars. As 12 pointed out, the only thing Bombers uses that are better are the secondary ingredients like the cheese and bacon. The burger and buns are not even close.

I do wish Sobelman's was as good as it was about 8 years ago. The burgers are not nearly as sloppy with toppings as they used to when things would be everywhere. Oh man those were to DIE for. Would be on par with the aforementioned Kuma.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 02:19:33 PM »
I do wish Sobelman's was as good as it was about 8 years ago. The burgers are not nearly as sloppy with toppings as they used to when things would be everywhere. Oh man those were to DIE for. Would be on par with the aforementioned Kuma.

I second that thought.  I remember them being much better when I was in school, and far more loaded.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
I've been agnostic on this whole Burger Wars thing so far, but I'll agree with Ari Gold and MUFan12 on this:  the whole Twitter ****-off of AJ Bombers is getting REALLY obnoxious. Don't get me wrong, I am a Twitter user, but I almost don't want to go to Bombers because of it.  It's filled with people who's lives seemingly don't exist outside of their Twitter feed.

Now, on the actual burgers, Bombers has some fantastically unique creations (i.e. the Barbie Burger and their Monte Cristo are amazing), but if you strip the toppings away, you get an average burger & average bun at best.  Sobleman's, though, gives you a thick burger and one of the best buns around; even if you didn't load it up Sobelman's-style (with the 3 cheeses, bacon, jalepenos, and onions), it would beat just about any burger in MKE on it's bare components alone.  

Give me the Double Sobelman vs. the Bomber Burger any day of the week.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:07:45 PM by Tom Crean's Tanning Bed »
The General has taken on a new command.

LON

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
I admit I've never had a Bombers burger and from reading some of that crap on Twitter I am 100% positive I'd vote for Bella's Fat Cat over AJ Bombers.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:53 AM »
I admit I've never had a Bombers burger and from reading some of that crap on Twitter I am 100% positive I'd vote for Bella's Fat Cat over AJ Bombers.

I second this... Bella's is much better than any Bomber burger.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »
You bastards are making me hungry! I hate you all!!   :)

DavantesInferno

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 08:03:54 PM »
Anyone know who won?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »
Bombers won

I wish bombers would have lost. They could have poisoned their burgers and their twitter jerkoffs could have died out like a real cult.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 08:47:03 AM »
i heard that it wasnt the actual Sobleman Burger vs the Bomber Burger. That it was just the buns, patty, lettuce, tomato, and raw onions- which everyone of us know is nowhere near a Sobelman Burger. thats horse turds.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
i heard that it wasnt the actual Sobleman Burger vs the Bomber Burger. That it was just the buns, patty, lettuce, tomato, and raw onions- which everyone of us know is nowhere near a Sobelman Burger. thats horse turds.

Actually it was a burger with Nueske's bacon, colby cheese and fried onions.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »

I am really confused as to how Sobelmans wouldn't win on these grounds.

LON

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
I am really confused as to how Sobelmans wouldn't win on these grounds.

+1

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »
Ok, so I've been wanting to get to Bombers for a while and I finally got out of the office today for lunch at Bombers, the acclaimed rival to Sobelman's... what a joke!  I gotta be honest, Bombers didn't even come CLOSE to Sobelman's in my opinion.  I will say Bombers had better toppings (better bacon, lettuce, etc), but that's where it ends.  Sobelman's buns, burgers themselves and even the cheese was better at Sobelman's if you ask me.

It is almost making me mad to hear that Bombers won the 'Food wars' because clearly something wasn't right with those people!

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »
It is almost making me mad to hear that Bombers won the 'Food wars' because clearly something wasn't right with those people!

I think they were communists.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »
I think they were communists.

Does anybody know who the judges were?

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »
Does anybody know who the judges were?
No clue, but I totally agree that they must've been Commies

McMARQthy

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »
Bombers won

I wish bombers would have lost. They could have poisoned their burgers and their twitter jerkoffs could have died out like a real cult.

Did you go to the taping? I'm just confused because this is what Sobelmans posted on their fb page a while back:

Sobelmans Pub and Grill:  Don't believe the hype, nobody knows for sure who the REAL winner was until the show airs!
May 11 at 6:03pm · Comment · Like

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »
Anyone know when the air date is?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »
Anyone know when the air date is?

I had the privilege of dining at bombers last weekend. The waitress said the episode would air sometime in August. She also said she knew who the winner was but obviously couldn't tell anyone.
As a self proclaimed burger connoisseur, I have to admit that I have switched my burger loyalty from Sobelmans over to bombers. I wouldn't be surprised if Bombers comes out on top.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
I had the privilege of dining at bombers last weekend. The waitress said the episode would air sometime in August. She also said she knew who the winner was but obviously couldn't tell anyone.
As a self proclaimed burger connoisseur, I have to admit that I have switched my burger loyalty from Sobelmans over to bombers. I wouldn't be surprised if Bombers comes out on top.

Sounds like one of Bomber's twitter trolls.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 09:59:09 AM »
Sounds like one of Bomber's twitter trolls.

Seriously... and that was his first post. That must be Sorge himself trying to sway popular opinion.

I still will not set foot in Bombers anymore and I live two blocks away.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »

most important word.

as for Jay's comment, superbar posts dont count so he has said something before

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
I decided to try Bombers for the 1st time Saturday afternoon. I had the Bomber Burger which was a 1/4 lb patty with a giant fried stuffed portabella mushroom. I have to say the burger was amazing, but they still have a long way to go to top Sobelman's.

Their buns were below average and became soggy after a while, but the burger itself was very very good as was the service. But better than Sobelman's??? No way.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »
Had Bomber's "Milwaukee Burger" entry from Food Wars. Maybe, and I mean maybe, the 4th best thing on their menu. Very average. The only thing that stood out was the Neuske's bacon.

I have no idea how it won. Sobel's had to have put a hockey puck on a bun to lose to that thing.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
Bombers' burgers are crap if you ask me, poor quality beef thrown together with some toppings... it's garbage and will never go back, only been once.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
thanks to this thread the Mrs. & I went to Sobelmans on Saturday, the Sobelman burger was fantastic!

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »
thanks to this thread the Mrs. & I went to Sobelmans on Saturday, the Sobelman burger was fantastic!
You picked the right one to try that's for sure!

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
I went to the taping and I think part of the reason that bombers "won" is that they had about twice as many people there and they were a lot more involved.  They were handing out shirts to everyone and were all older.  I was on team sobleman's and a lot of the team were high school kids who were friends of dave sobleman.  That being said I got bored of all the bs that comes with filming a tv show and grabbed a beer and left before they announced the winner.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
Decided to go to Sobelman's Tallgrass Grill today (I guess I've been on my own personal quest for Milwaukee's best burger)..............The Bacon and Blue Burger was AWESOME!!!!!! Clearly better than Bombers, but not quite better than the original. Sobelman's still reigns supreme!

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Gotta say, I love Soblemen's but the beef they use on the burgers there is nothing special, wish that could get upgraded a little.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »
Gotta say, I love Soblemen's but the beef they use on the burgers there is nothing special, wish that could get upgraded a little.

it is not the same as it used to be and is a downgrade. i wish dave would go back to the original recipe bc that was redic. with that said, sobelmans is still the best in mke.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:14 PM »
it is not the same as it used to be and is a downgrade. i wish dave would go back to the original recipe bc that was redic. with that said, sobelmans is still the best in mke.

Went back a couple weekends ago for the first time in six months (I am now living 200+ miles away). They definitely shrank the burger from the last time I had been there. I think they tried this awhile ago and people complained so they brought back the larger ones.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:19:56 PM by warrior07 »

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I would take Sobelman's beef over Bombers' though personally.  I thought Bombers' was crap and was just not flavorful what so ever to me.  At least you taste the meat some at Sobel's.

LON

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
I would take Sobelman's beef over Bombers' though personally.  I thought Bombers' was crap and was just not flavorful what so ever to me.  At least you taste the meat some at Sobel's.

No homo?

/sorry, I had to