collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280390 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #2250 on: January 28, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »
For example, even if there is the slightest bit to the head no matter how small, they are required to go into a dark room off the field for 10 minutes before coming back on.

If you send a football player to a dark room for 10 minutes after every slight hit to the head, you'll have nobody left on the field but kickers, punters and QBs midway through the first quarter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2251 on: January 28, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
Do they have the Lombardi Trophy in Minneapolis yet? Is it somewhere where the public can go check it out? I don’t know how these things work. But if it is available for public viewing Vikings fans may consider taking a look now. This might be the only time one of those trophies is ever in the state of Minnesota.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2252 on: January 28, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »
Do they have the Lombardi Trophy in Minneapolis yet? Is it somewhere where the public can go check it out? I don’t know how these things work. But if it is available for public viewing Vikings fans may consider taking a look now. This might be the only time one of those trophies is ever in the state of Minnesota.

They'll get to host the super bowl again.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2253 on: January 30, 2018, 08:59:16 PM »
Wow. KC trades Alex Smith to Redskins.  Looks like Kirk Cousins not getting tagged again and he ends up in?  Denver, Both New York teams, Arizona, lots of teams will want him now that it appears Skins have given up and he will make a boatload of cash.  Will also effect the draft. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2254 on: January 30, 2018, 09:26:25 PM »
And the Skins gave Smith a four year extension.  I don't get this.  Why f*ck around with Cousins for the last few years only to trade for Smith and give him an extension?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2255 on: January 30, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »
Mmmm,.....
Jets fire OC Morton after one year.
Promote Jeremy Bates to OC last week
Cousins likes Bates and has some sort of connection. 
Maybe some backdoor deal going on here.

Still believe he goes to Denver though. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2256 on: January 30, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
I'm not sure trading for a 33 year old Alex Smith is the answer for Washington. Seems very lateral to me.

If I were the Browns, I'd go all in on Cousins.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2257 on: January 30, 2018, 09:43:21 PM »
I'm not sure trading for a 33 year old Alex Smith is the answer for Washington. Seems very lateral to me.

If I were the Browns, I'd go all in on Cousins.

Bring out the armored cars with the cash. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2258 on: January 30, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »
I've said on here before that you always need to take QB salaries as an outlier in pro sports, but 4 years and $71 million guaranteed for 33 year old middle of the road Alex Smith is something.

Curious to see how Rodgers reacts once Brees and Cousins get locked up.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2259 on: January 30, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »
If someone can  give me a compelling argument for the Redskins to make this deal, I'd like to hear it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2260 on: January 30, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »
If someone can  give me a compelling argument for the Redskins to make this deal, I'd like to hear it.

Cousins a free agent and told them he isn’t signing. 
Redskins not going to tag him for 34 million and Gruden said no more one year deals, need continuity.
Redskins not high enough in draft to get young QB, leaving them with Colt McCoy
But Smith at that price, strange.  But gives them a QB for few years, no worry about a starting QB status

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2261 on: January 30, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »

They get a reliable, above average QB for four years at a reasonable cost (a 3rd and a slot corner).
That's compelling enough.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2262 on: January 30, 2018, 11:39:13 PM »
Cousins will be 30 at the start of the season and has yet to win a playoff game. Very Cutler-esque. At 30, Jay had one playoff win, but only because he was lucky enough to play a sub .500 team.

Some stupid GM is going to give this guy a long term deal somewhere in the  $25 -$30 million per year range..

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2263 on: January 30, 2018, 11:42:25 PM »
This trade is a lot more than just Smith for a 3rd rounder (which is essentially a wash because Wash will get a third round comp for Cousins leaving in 2019) and Fuller.

You have to take into account Washington's asset/cap management while Cousins was there. As they could be going into the final year of the 3 yr/$40 mil deal that Cousins agent proposed (Cousins got 2 yrs/$44 mil under the tag).

Fuller is the key to this deal, he's a young/good (potentially very good) slot corner, still with 2 years on his rookie deal.

I don't understand the rush from Washington's perspective. I can't imagine the price to acquire Smith going up before the league year starts. Maybe Cleveland made an offer, but Dorsey would also realize there's zero rush. The Chiefs were no way keeping Smith. I don't think Smith being Washington's QB is curious, but the when/how they got to this point is.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2264 on: January 31, 2018, 12:03:40 AM »
Cousins will be 30 at the start of the season and has yet to win a playoff game. Very Cutler-esque. At 30, Jay had one playoff win, but only because he was lucky enough to play a sub .500 team.

Some stupid GM is going to give this guy a long term deal somewhere in the  $25 -$30 million per year range..

Cousins will easily get at least $28, probably $30, but the number shouldn't matter. When was the last time a QB like Cousins hit the open market? Brees? The QB market resets every year based on who's deal is up and the cap increasing. I've said before, if I were Rodgers, I'd sign 1 year deals from here until retirement.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2265 on: January 31, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »

#14Wins

The trophy is currently a block from my place at the Super Bowl Experience. Costs $$$ to get in, so it's only available for the *paying* public.

Lots of tanks and guns out on the streets of downtown this weekend. Have felt the area (my place is also a block from Super Bowl Live) get more and more busy, with the out of towners joining the fold in greater numbers. I expect to see some interesting things the next few nights.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2266 on: January 31, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »
#13 Championships

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2267 on: January 31, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
#14Wins

The trophy is currently a block from my place at the Super Bowl Experience. Costs $$$ to get in, so it's only available for the *paying* public.

Lots of tanks and guns out on the streets of downtown this weekend. Have felt the area (my place is also a block from Super Bowl Live) get more and more busy, with the out of towners joining the fold in greater numbers. I expect to see some interesting things the next few nights.

Stay safe, those Eagles fans are... unpredictable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2268 on: January 31, 2018, 08:48:47 AM »
#14Wins

And according to the national media, it gets cold in Minnesota in January and February.  I'm shocked by this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2269 on: January 31, 2018, 09:33:22 AM »
Fox gets Thursday night NFL games reportedly paying higher price than the NFL was getting from NBC/CBS.

So much for the decline in ratings meaning something.  So much for Thursday night football being bad. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2270 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »
Fox gets Thursday night NFL games reportedly paying higher price than the NFL was getting from NBC/CBS.

So much for the decline in ratings meaning something.  So much for Thursday night football being bad.

Well, as a casual NFL viewer, I do think Thursday night football has been bad. The games generally have been of poor quality the past few years, and it can't be good for these athletes to have to play another violent game so soon after the one before. No league that claims to care about player safety should want Thursday games; and players who claim to care about their own safety should be willing to accept a little less salary so they don't have to play on Thursdays.

But your overall point is correct - the product apparently is attractive enough for it to bring in record rights fees.

Once again, the reports of the NFL's death have been greatly exaggerated.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2271 on: January 31, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
Well, as a casual NFL viewer, I do think Thursday night football has been bad. The games generally have been of poor quality the past few years, and it can't be good for these athletes to have to play another violent game so soon after the one before. No league that claims to care about player safety should want Thursday games; and players who claim to care about their own safety should be willing to accept a little less salary so they don't have to play on Thursdays.

But your overall point is correct - the product apparently is attractive enough for it to bring in record rights fees.

Once again, the reports of the NFL's death have been greatly exaggerated.

I meant being bad enough to affect ratings and rights fees.

I also don't know how much it impacts player safety though.  Are players more likely to be injured on Thursdays?  Is that counter-balanced by having ten days off afterwards?  I mean, Detroit has played on Thursday afternoon for decades and I never recall hearing player safety issues being brought up.  I tend to think a team playing one Thursday a year isn't that big a deal from a safety stand point.

I do think the overall problem with Thursdays is more of a lack of time to prepare issue.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2272 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »

I meant being bad enough to affect ratings and rights fees.

I also don't know how much it impacts player safety though.  Are players more likely to be injured on Thursdays?  Is that counter-balanced by having ten days off afterwards?  I mean, Detroit has played on Thursday afternoon for decades and I never recall hearing player safety issues being brought up.  I tend to think a team playing one Thursday a year isn't that big a deal from a safety stand point.

I do think the overall problem with Thursdays is more of a lack of time to prepare issue.
Ask and ye shall receive:

The NFL released its injury data for the season and it showed a year-over-year increase in injuries during Thursday night games. According to the league, an average of 6.9 injuries were reported during Thursday games compared to 5.3 injuries per game last year. Moreover, the 6.9 is higher than the 6.3 injuries reported per game for Sunday and Monday games.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/29/data-shows-more-injuries-reported-in-thursday-night-nfl-games/

From interviews I've read and heard with several players (anecdotal evidence, obviously) the issue isn't just injury risk, but that they physically aren't as ready to perform on a Thursday following a Sunday game, i.e. the shortened period of recovery negatively impacts their ability to perform.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2273 on: January 31, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
Well there ya go.  Thanks.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2274 on: January 31, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »
It wouldn't be that difficult to schedule teams to play on Thursday night coming off their bye. I'm sure the players would welcome a 10-day layoff, a game then another 10-day layoff. The obvious problem is that byes only go from Week 5-12 so, if you include the SB champs opening on a Thursday, that would only be 9 weeks of Thursday games.

I know the NFL is all about player safety but I'm sure there's a logical reason why they don't do it...