[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280377 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #2225 on: January 25, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
I doubt it's the death of anything.  When I was a kid, nobody tackled until middle school.  The generation before didn't tackle until high school  If anything, it may introduce more kids to the game whose parents are unfortable having them tackle when they're too young.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2226 on: January 25, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
Death of modern football as we know it? Chance this gets passed is probably slim to none but it is interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/proposed-law-could-ban-tackle-football-for-children-under-age-12-in-illinois/amp/

Not anything close to death, in fact I think it would save the game. Yes, you might lose a few participants to other sports (my dad wouldn't let me play football until high school and by the time I got there I was in ODP so wasn't going to switch to football even though I would have been good at it) but ultimately it would lower the instances of injury and concerns of concussion issues which is more likely to kill popularity.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2227 on: January 25, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »
There's no reason to be playing tackle football before age 12 anyway.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2228 on: January 25, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
Sure there is. $$$

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2229 on: January 25, 2018, 11:42:17 PM »
I doubt it's the death of anything.  When I was a kid, nobody tackled until middle school.  The generation before didn't tackle until high school  If anything, it may introduce more kids to the game whose parents are unfortable having them tackle when they're too young.

Not anything close to death, in fact I think it would save the game. Yes, you might lose a few participants to other sports (my dad wouldn't let me play football until high school and by the time I got there I was in ODP so wasn't going to switch to football even though I would have been good at it) but ultimately it would lower the instances of injury and concerns of concussion issues which is more likely to kill popularity.

Agree with both of these.

It would help football.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2230 on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:44 AM »

Baloney.

We had more fun than children are entitled to have playing tackle as kids. It was usually something like four-on-four. Most of us were about the same weight and size and couldn't hurt someone to save their's or our lives.

On an organized level, my son played tackle beginning at age 7. He had a blast and, again, the weights were relatively comparable. He stopped as a sophomore in high school when he looked at the size of the guys lining up opposite him and KNEW he would be killed.

If you're going to apply some arbitrary standard to youth football, then you better do so to other sports. My daughter, the elegant hard-charger who was the Mongol Horde of soccer players, had far more injuries and concessions playing soccer than my son ever did playing football.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2231 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »
Baloney.

We had more fun than children are entitled to have playing tackle as kids. It was usually something like four-on-four. Most of us were about the same weight and size and couldn't hurt someone to save their's or our lives.

On an organized level, my son played tackle beginning at age 7. He had a blast and, again, the weights were relatively comparable. He stopped as a sophomore in high school when he looked at the size of the guys lining up opposite him and KNEW he would be killed.

If you're going to apply some arbitrary standard to youth football, then you better do so to other sports. My daughter, the elegant hard-charger who was the Mongol Horde of soccer players, had far more injuries and concessions playing soccer than my son ever did playing football.

I should have clarified. I was referring to organized tackle football. There's no benefit to playing organized tackle football when kids are that young/small. Pick-up football games in someone's backyard? Play on!

I'd be fine with soccer being banned completely ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2232 on: January 26, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »
Baloney.

There is zero reason kids should play organized, padded tackle football at age 7.  And it isn't simply about concussions, but about repetitive hits to the head.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2233 on: January 26, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
Baloney.

pick-up "tackle" football in the neighborhood is a totally different than organized padded football prior to high school.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2234 on: January 27, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »
Man, I hate both of these Superbowl teams so much .. want both of them to lose.

http://m.startribune.com/an-open-letter-from-kentucky-to-the-people-of-minnesota-about-those-eagles-fans/470788223/

After the Vikings beat the Saints, my father and I decided to go to Philadelphia the following week for the NFC Championship Game. It turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made — and it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. I witnessed, and experienced, the rudest, most obnoxious and violent behavior I have ever seen at a sporting event.

From the moment we got on the subway to go to the game until the time we made it back to our hotel room afterward, we were subjected to constant verbal and physical assault. We were called names I can’t repeat because they are unfit for print. We were shoved, had objects thrown at us and were warned that if the Vikings won, we would be lucky to make it out alive.

I have never been to a sporting event where I feared for my safety until last Sunday. All because I had the audacity to come to the game wearing a Vikings jersey.

I wish I could say that this behavior came from only a few individuals. Unfortunately, it was pervasive. And those who did not participate stood idly by and watched it happen. I have no problem with Eagles fans celebrating a historic win. That’s the joy of sport. But you can do so with class and not ruin the time of fellow football fans whose only “crime” is being from another part of the country.

I am not sure how it became culturally acceptable in Philadelphia to behave in such a manner, but it’s a shame. I was literally embarrassed to be a human.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2235 on: January 27, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
Man, I hate both of these Superbowl teams so much .. want both of them to lose.

http://m.startribune.com/an-open-letter-from-kentucky-to-the-people-of-minnesota-about-those-eagles-fans/470788223/

After the Vikings beat the Saints, my father and I decided to go to Philadelphia the following week for the NFC Championship Game. It turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made — and it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. I witnessed, and experienced, the rudest, most obnoxious and violent behavior I have ever seen at a sporting event.

From the moment we got on the subway to go to the game until the time we made it back to our hotel room afterward, we were subjected to constant verbal and physical assault. We were called names I can’t repeat because they are unfit for print. We were shoved, had objects thrown at us and were warned that if the Vikings won, we would be lucky to make it out alive.

I have never been to a sporting event where I feared for my safety until last Sunday. All because I had the audacity to come to the game wearing a Vikings jersey.

I wish I could say that this behavior came from only a few individuals. Unfortunately, it was pervasive. And those who did not participate stood idly by and watched it happen. I have no problem with Eagles fans celebrating a historic win. That’s the joy of sport. But you can do so with class and not ruin the time of fellow football fans whose only “crime” is being from another part of the country.

I am not sure how it became culturally acceptable in Philadelphia to behave in such a manner, but it’s a shame. I was literally embarrassed to be a human.

https://twitter.com/ViolationsGreg/status/955285405154381830/photo/1

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2236 on: January 27, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
Yeah, that Millie thing .. wow.   

I mean, it's one thing to say "eff that 99 year old grandmother who wants to see the Vikings win" .. it takes an entirely higher plane of d-baggery to go out and buy materials for a banner, paint it, and parade it around proudly.

Then you think, well, only a couple guys are d-bags ... until you find out there were MULTIPLE banners .. I mean, you have to wake up early to plan that level of a-holitude.  (Or maybe it comes naturally.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:16:35 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2237 on: January 27, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »
Yeah, that Millie thing .. wow.   

I mean, it's one thing to say "eff that 99 year old grandmother who wants to see the Vikings win" .. it takes an entirely higher plane of d-baggery to go out and buy materials for a banner, paint it, and parade it around proudly.

Then you think, well, only a couple guys are d-bags ... until you find out there were MULTIPLE banners .. I mean, you have to wake up early to plan that level of a-holitude.  (Or maybe it comes naturally.)

They're trying to one up each other.  Its some sort of deplorable badge of honor.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2238 on: January 27, 2018, 04:31:39 PM »
pick-up "tackle" football in the neighborhood is a totally different than organized padded football prior to high school.

We didn't have a football team in high school so we would play tackle behind the school every few weeks or so.

But man, some of those hits were viscous and very few of us had any chance of playing varsity football if our school had a team.

That being said, injuries were relatively minor because when you don't wear pads l, nobody is going head first or even shoulder first. NFL should go back to thin pads and Lester helmets.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2239 on: January 27, 2018, 10:44:43 PM »
We didn't have a football team in high school so we would play tackle behind the school every few weeks or so.

But man, some of those hits were viscous and very few of us had any chance of playing varsity football if our school had a team.

That being said, injuries were relatively minor because when you don't wear pads l, nobody is going head first or even shoulder first. NFL should go back to thin pads and Lester helmets.

Subscribe.  Been saying this for years.  "Pads" and helmets are weapons.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2240 on: January 28, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
Rates of concussions in rugby are higher than in football. A lack of pads and helmets would make the problem worse. What would improve the problem is proper tackling.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2241 on: January 28, 2018, 07:23:18 AM »
Went to NFL Live on Nicollet Mall yesterday. Tons of cops. Lots of body armor and machine guns. Cops were very friendly.  Many were getting their pics taken with visitors.

I thought the mall experience was kinda blah. Live music in the evening definitely added some energy.

Watched the zip line over the Mississippi. Eff, that’s intimidating.

Gouge mode is fully engaged. $9 for a Bud light. Didn’t even get a kiss. Dilly dilly! 

Had a beverage at Lyons Pub. Reg menu and prices. Went next door to Ike’s for dinner.  Burger prices up five bucks. Tomahawk ribeye on menu for $180. Must be counting on really stupid Eagles fans for that one.

Didn’t see any Eagles fan pushing grandmothers into the gutter. Must not be in town yet.

Who was the Scooper with the MU hat walking the Mall yesterday afternoon?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:25:23 AM by real chili 83 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2242 on: January 28, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »
Wuz BeeJay hittin' on adolescents again orr wuz he at da glory hole, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2243 on: January 28, 2018, 08:40:48 AM »
Wuz BeeJay hittin' on adolescents again orr wuz he at da glory hole, hey?

JB was there as a family outing yesterday.  He'll be hitting Philly MILF's later in the week no doubt. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2244 on: January 28, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Rates of concussions in rugby are higher than in football. A lack of pads and helmets would make the problem worse. What would improve the problem is proper tackling.

Not at those speeds.  Get real.  Slow down the game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2245 on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
Not sure what you are disputing.  Rugby, a sport that involves tackling (like football) without significant padding (like you are advocating) has a higher concussion rate than football.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-concussion-youth-sports/concussion-rates-highest-for-kids-in-rugby-hockey-and-football-idUSKBN0TZ2RE20151216

"For each of the sports, they looked at concussion rates based on minutes of athletic exposure (AE), which includes competitions or practices with the potential for injury.

The overall concussion risk across all of the sports included in the analysis was 0.23 injuries per 1,000 AEs.

By comparison, the concussion risk per 1,000 AEs for rugby was 4.18, while it was 1.2 for hockey and 0.53 for American football."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2246 on: January 28, 2018, 01:17:40 PM »
Not sure what you are disputing.  Rugby, a sport that involves tackling (like football) without significant padding (like you are advocating) has a higher concussion rate than football.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-concussion-youth-sports/concussion-rates-highest-for-kids-in-rugby-hockey-and-football-idUSKBN0TZ2RE20151216

"For each of the sports, they looked at concussion rates based on minutes of athletic exposure (AE), which includes competitions or practices with the potential for injury.

The overall concussion risk across all of the sports included in the analysis was 0.23 injuries per 1,000 AEs.

By comparison, the concussion risk per 1,000 AEs for rugby was 4.18, while it was 1.2 for hockey and 0.53 for American football."

I'm disputing that proper tackling fixes the problem.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2247 on: January 28, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
How 'bout dat Pro Bowl, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2248 on: January 28, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »
I'm disputing that proper tackling fixes the problem.

I never said proper tackling would fix the problem.  I said it would "improve" the problem.

As long as tackling is part of the game, football is always going to be a relatively dangerous sport.  But not wearing pads would make the problem much worse.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2249 on: January 28, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »

Never would have guessed that. I've watched a ton of Rugby over the past year and a half and can only recall maybe two concussions.

What rugby does right though, at least at the professional level is that they report head injuries at a much higher rate.

For example, even if there is the slightest bit to the head no matter how small, they are required to go into a dark room off the field for 10 minutes before coming back on.