collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280390 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1975 on: January 02, 2018, 09:46:47 AM »
Never know what a new GM will do, but if they stay in house for the GM, which appears most likely, his first order of business will probably be to extend McCarthy for at least a year.

This is now a unique situation, because even if they stay in house, you could have a power struggle on your hands. McCarthy potentially could even decide to walk away. His comments postgame on Sunday were somewhat cryptic.

There may be continuity that exists, and an in house GM simply extends McCarthy for a year, that makes sense. Any outside GM, I'd be surprised if McCarthy stays. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If that job opens up, it's far and away the best job on the market.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1976 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
I think McCarthy better be careful if he thinks he can walk away and find himself in a better position.  I don't think he's terrible, and undoubtedly he knows how to manage a locker room of younger players, but he's really only above average as a play caller and decidedly so-so on many other aspects of the job.  Without Aaron Rodgers, and without an organization and shares his philosophy, I am not sure he succeeds elsewhere.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1977 on: January 02, 2018, 10:15:21 AM »
I think McCarthy better be careful if he thinks he can walk away and find himself in a better position.  I don't think he's terrible, and undoubtedly he knows how to manage a locker room of younger players, but he's really only above average as a play caller and decidedly so-so on many other aspects of the job.  Without Aaron Rodgers, and without an organization and shares his philosophy, I am not sure he succeeds elsewhere.

+1

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1978 on: January 02, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
Mike’s ass might get a lot warmer wit da new GM hire, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:37 AM »
This is now a unique situation, because even if they stay in house, you could have a power struggle on your hands. McCarthy potentially could even decide to walk away. His comments postgame on Sunday were somewhat cryptic.

There may be continuity that exists, and an in house GM simply extends McCarthy for a year, that makes sense. Any outside GM, I'd be surprised if McCarthy stays. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If that job opens up, it's far and away the best job on the market.
New GM usually is the death knell for the current coach, but if they stay in house for the new gm who knows how he feels about McCarthy.

The wild card in all of this may be Aaron Rodgers and how much influence he has. At times, it looks like he is at odds with Mac. Is Rodgers arrogant enough to make an ultimatum? Yes, all of this will be interesting. My guess and my hope is, Wolf as gm,  Fangio as def co-ordinater and Mac stays as coach.

BTW who makes the call on Def co-ordinator? Is that McCarthys call? or new gm call, if Mac is leaving why would they let him pick the def cor. Seems to me that they would need new gm in place first, then decision on coach then def cor.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1980 on: January 02, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
The new details coming out from McGinn and others would suggest perhaps (key word) the reason Thompson is getting pushed out was his unwillingness to fire McCarthy. Whether that's accurate or not, I guess we'll see shortly. Interesting week ahead in Green Bay, any new GM is also going to have to immediately address Rodgers contract.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1981 on: January 02, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
The new details coming out from McGinn and others would suggest perhaps (key word) the reason Thompson is getting pushed out was his unwillingness to fire McCarthy. Whether that's accurate or not, I guess we'll see shortly. Interesting week ahead in Green Bay, any new GM is also going to have to immediately address Rodgers contract.

That situation worked out well for AD and coach at Louisville

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1982 on: January 02, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »

Some things I read and heard say that the BOD pressured Murphy to make the move on TT mainly because of tt's failing health and inability to focus. Take it for what its worth.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1983 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »
McCarthy would look good with Stafford.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1984 on: January 02, 2018, 12:27:16 PM »
Some things I read and heard say that the BOD pressured Murphy to make the move on TT mainly because of tt's failing health and inability to focus. Take it for what its worth.

Hmmm...  If the Board had to take that step, that's not a good look for Murphy.  Unless they are being the "bad guys."  Also, I don't know if Packer fans should want the Board to be that active in these matters.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1985 on: January 02, 2018, 12:40:10 PM »
Hmmm...  If the Board had to take that step, that's not a good look for Murphy.  Unless they are being the "bad guys."  Also, I don't know if Packer fans should want the Board to be that active in these matters.
The BOD should not be making those decisions but they can voice their concerns.

TT being "not there" mentally was reported by Florio and his source was McGinn. In the same report, McGinn did say the BOD also had concerns with TT's unwillingness to fire McCarthy.  So who knows, I'm not sure how credible McGinn is anymore, I used to think he was great, but now it seems like he has jumped the shark to some degree.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1986 on: January 02, 2018, 12:49:24 PM »
McCarthy received an extension during the season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1987 on: January 02, 2018, 12:50:46 PM »
Reckless speculation on my end, but in my opinion, Harbaugh would be perfect in Green Bay, assuming the GM and him had plans for personnel people. He'd convince Fangio to go there too.

I'm much more intrigued by what's going on in GB than in Chicago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1988 on: January 02, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »
In reading Mark Murphy's press conference quotes, I am firmly of the belief that this will be an internal promotion, McCarthy will be the coach, and he will hire the new DC.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1989 on: January 02, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
Reckless speculation on my end, but in my opinion, Harbaugh would be perfect in Green Bay, assuming the GM and him had plans for personnel people. He'd convince Fangio to go there too.

I'm much more intrigued by what's going on in GB than in Chicago.

If Harbaugh ends up in GB as anything other than an opposing coach.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1990 on: January 02, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
The BOD should not be making those decisions but they can voice their concerns.

TT being "not there" mentally was reported by Florio and his source was McGinn. In the same report, McGinn did say the BOD also had concerns with TT's unwillingness to fire McCarthy.  So who knows, I'm not sure how credible McGinn is anymore, I used to think he was great, but now it seems like he has jumped the shark to some degree.

McGinn is as good as it gets. Murphy and Thompson had discussed TT's health and commitment several times in the last year. TT has had several health issues the last two years and that was as big of a driver for Ted leaving as anything.

Who knows whether the next GM will want to keep MM or not. Probably depends on how they play next year. But the extension had to be done to get a new defensive coordinator. No one who is anyone would come to a team with a lame duck coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1991 on: January 02, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
If Harbaugh ends up in GB as anything other than an opposing coach.

44-19 record in the pros, with three conference championship appearances and one Super Bowl appearance in four seasons.
You could do far, far worse.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1992 on: January 02, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
44-19 record in the pros, with three conference championship appearances and one Super Bowl appearance in four seasons.
You could do far, far worse.

Yeah and SF got tired of him. He has regressed each season while at Michigan despite almost infinite resources and visibility. Quite frankly, I think the man is a d!ck and I really don't want him near my team because I really don't want to have to go through all of this 4 or 5 years from now plus I don't think I could stand seeing him on the sideline each week.

It is at least in part irrational, but still...
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1993 on: January 02, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
Yeah and SF got tired of him. He has regressed each season while at Michigan despite almost infinite resources and visibility. Quite frankly, I think the man is a d!ck and I really don't want him near my team because I really don't want to have to go through all of this 4 or 5 years from now plus I don't think I could stand seeing him on the sideline each week.

I'm not a Bears fan, as you know, but I have to agree with you here. I don't quite get the fascination with Harbaugh. Lots of coaches have had good runs - even runs that have included a Super Bowl. Fox was one of them. So was Lovie. So is Rivera. Many other examples.

By the only two measurements that Michigan fans care about - success vs. tOSU and playoff appearances - Harbaugh has not only has failed but has done so spectacularly. They're 0-3 vs the Buckeyes, losing by an average of 14 points, and haven't sniffed the 4-team playoff. That is abject failure on WolverineLand.

He managed to make enemies, act like a douche, and make a ton of money, but he didn't manage to accomplish a single thing that matters.

He fizzled out with the Niners, too, going 8-8 just 2 years after his unsuccessful Super Bowl appearance.

Could he orchestrate a quick turnaround and then take off a couple years later - kind of a football version of Scott Skiles? I suppose. Have fun with that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1994 on: January 02, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »
McGinn is as good as it gets. Murphy and Thompson had discussed TT's health and commitment several times in the last year. TT has had several health issues the last two years and that was as big of a driver for Ted leaving as anything.

Who knows whether the next GM will want to keep MM or not. Probably depends on how they play next year. But the extension had to be done to get a new defensive coordinator. No one who is anyone would come to a team with a lame duck coach.
McGinn was as good as it gets, I question how good he is now.

it is well known that tt  had health issues, the part that is new is that bod pressured Murphy and that  tt had focus or mental issues. also that some bod members were concerned about tt reluctance to fire mac.

as far as the McCarthy extension, that was done earlier in the season or pre season not specifically for him to hire a defensive cor. At the time he was extended they didn't know how the season would play out or that they would fire capers

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1995 on: January 02, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »

Ta say nothin’ of his leech-a-long brother-in-law standin’ on da sidelines holdin’ his johnson, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1996 on: January 02, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
McGinn was as good as it gets, I question how good he is now.

Flinging mud at the wall. I'm sure he is upset that you "question how good he is now".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1997 on: January 02, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
McGinn was up front and honest in assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the Packers from the front office, to the coaching staff, to the players.  McGinn has never been a guy with "insider" connections.  I take his report on the TT issue with a great deal of salt.

Does TT have health issues that he is dealing with?  Sure.  Did those issues require the board to force Murphy's hand?  I doubt that.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1998 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
Flinging mud at the wall. I'm sure he is upset that you "question how good he is now".
lol, do you really think I'm trying to make Bob mc Ginnn upset. I assure you he doesn't know me and dosent care what i think.

It's my opinion, you can have your own, its not slinging mud at the wall.  Since he left the journal and started on his own he hasn't been as good and some of the things he says are proven to be false. You can like him and think he is great your perogative.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1999 on: January 02, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
McGinn was up front and honest in assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the Packers from the front office, to the coaching staff, to the players.  McGinn has never been a guy with "insider" connections.  I take his report on the TT issue with a great deal of salt.

Does TT have health issues that he is dealing with?  Sure.  Did those issues require the board to force Murphy's hand?  I doubt that.
that's my point, sometimes he says things that are a stretch and later are proven false. Loved his takes on the team, his grades and analysis but now he is doing other stuff.