collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280402 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1850 on: December 20, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
I think the roster decisions on the Pack WR's is going to be very interesting. Nelson fell off the face of the earth once Rodgers went out. I think with Rodgers back next year, you can get another productive year out of him (he'll be 33), and he's on a reasonable number and an expiring contract. However, cutting him frees up $10 mil in space. There's somewhat of a fascinating dilemma going around the NFL with wideouts coming off the fourth year of their rookie deal. You saw the Bears last year let Jeffrey walk, Sammy Watkins will hit the market, and the Dolphins will probably let Jarvis Landry walk. I think Adams is better than those guys, and he'd get the biggest deal on the open market. I think the Pack have roughly $15 mil in cap space, would they cut Nelson to sign Adams? I'm also curious if they're going to re-do Rodgers deal, because Garoppolo and Brees are about to fall into the top five of highest paid QB's in some order, and Cousins will most likely be back in the top three as well again next year.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1851 on: December 21, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »
I think the roster decisions on the Pack WR's is going to be very interesting. Nelson fell off the face of the earth once Rodgers went out. I think with Rodgers back next year, you can get another productive year out of him (he'll be 33), and he's on a reasonable number and an expiring contract. However, cutting him frees up $10 mil in space. There's somewhat of a fascinating dilemma going around the NFL with wideouts coming off the fourth year of their rookie deal. You saw the Bears last year let Jeffrey walk, Sammy Watkins will hit the market, and the Dolphins will probably let Jarvis Landry walk. I think Adams is better than those guys, and he'd get the biggest deal on the open market. I think the Pack have roughly $15 mil in cap space, would they cut Nelson to sign Adams? I'm also curious if they're going to re-do Rodgers deal, because Garoppolo and Brees are about to fall into the top five of highest paid QB's in some order, and Cousins will most likely be back in the top three as well again next year.

And one of the more interesting receivers to hit the market this year will be Martavis Bryant.  Loads of talent, has had some off-field issues.  Will be interesting to see what kind of deal he gets, I don't see him returning to Pittsburgh.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1852 on: December 21, 2017, 08:14:31 AM »

Cobb is much more likely IMO

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1853 on: December 21, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
Cobb is much more likely IMO

I thought so earlier in the year, but Jordy has just looked slow, so I'm not really sure. But they won't both be back (unless they agree to a restructured contract).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1854 on: December 21, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »
I thought so earlier in the year, but Jordy has just looked slow, so I'm not really sure. But they won't both be back (unless they agree to a restructured contract).

Betting Jordy restructures....he knows how good he has it with Rodgers and would not fair well in the open market. Adams is a must resign IMHO. Yes he now has some concussion concerns but he is by far the Packers best receiver. (which probably means TT let's him go...god I hate that dude).

Also curious what they do with Ty Montgomery, I think it's clear he'd be a 3rd string RB....do they move him back to receiver?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: December 21, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
Betting Jordy restructures....he knows how good he has it with Rodgers and would not fair well in the open market. Adams is a must resign IMHO. Yes he now has some concussion concerns but he is by far the Packers best receiver. (which probably means TT let's him go...god I hate that dude).

Also curious what they do with Ty Montgomery, I think it's clear he'd be a 3rd string RB....do they move him back to receiver?

I think so. I think he becomes Cobb. He's not as quick (not sure it's close), but he's big, strong, good with (John Madden voice) YAC yards. Gives us flexibility to come into the backfield as change of pace.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: December 21, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
Guess that whole "Let's blame the NFL for my company's struggles" strategy didn't work out as Papa John hoped.

NEW YORK — Papa John’s founder John Schnatter will step down as CEO next month, about two months after he publicly criticized the NFL leadership over national anthem protests by football players — comments for which the company later apologized.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/papa-johns-founder-out-as-ceo-weeks-after-nfl-comments/2017/12/21/fa1cb160-e698-11e7-927a-e72eac1e73b6_story.html?utm_term=.f0bbba133aa9
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:50:09 PM by Pakuni »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1857 on: December 21, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »
Guess that whole "Let's blame the NFL for my company's struggles" strategy didn't works out as Papa John hoped.

NEW YORK — Papa John’s founder John Schnatter will step down as CEO next month, about two months after he publicly criticized the NFL leadership over national anthem protests by football players — comments for which the company later apologized.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/papa-johns-founder-out-as-ceo-weeks-after-nfl-comments/2017/12/21/fa1cb160-e698-11e7-927a-e72eac1e73b6_story.html?utm_term=.f0bbba133aa9

he's gonna start an XFL franchise isn't he

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1858 on: December 21, 2017, 04:36:53 PM »
Guess that whole "Let's blame the NFL for my company's struggles" strategy didn't works out as Papa John hoped.

That Freedom of Speech thing can be overrated sometimes - exercising his right cost him a cool $84 mil.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1859 on: December 21, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »
That's an effen classic.

What a d-bag.

You gotta know he's one of the people who thinks the anthem thing hurt the NFL, so it's hilarious that his anti-NFL thing was hurting his company.

Yeah, the NFL is horribly damaged. Just wait till everybody sees the price some ownership group is gonna pay for the Panthers, a middle-of-the-pack team from a "desirability" viewpoint.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: December 22, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
https://nypost.com/2017/12/21/nba-enjoys-ratings-renaissance-as-nfl-flounders/

Meanwhile NBA ratings are soaring. It’s a good thing it’s players and coaches never talk about politics and just play the game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: December 22, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »

Meanwhile NBA ratings are soaring. It’s a good thing it’s players and coaches never talk about politics and just play the game.

It remains amazing to me the NFL owners just extended Goodell...
Meanwhile, the NFL is being penalized for a lack of focus, according to Sturner.

Its story lines these days encompass a panoramic sweep of protest rights, brain-damage risks, squabbling owners, media oversaturation, even subpar play.

“You don’t get any of that at basketball games,” Sturner said. “You just get action.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1862 on: December 22, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »

Indeed, of its two most marketable players - LeBron and Steph - the first called the president a "bum," and the second told the president what he could do with his White House visit.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1863 on: December 22, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »

Indeed, of its two most marketable players - LeBron and Steph - the first called the president a "bum," and the second told the president what he could do with his White House visit.

Not at all apples to apples.

Those actions were off the court and neither was viewed as disrespecting the military. They were direct shots at the C of C. Their message was not going to be misconstrued. Even going back to the "I Can't Breathe" shirts the Cavs and Nets wore in warm-ups - those were in response to a very specific event. The NFL protests were much more vague and left room for interpretation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1864 on: December 22, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
Not at all apples to apples.

Those actions were off the court and neither was viewed as disrespecting the military. They were direct shots at the C of C. Their message was not going to be misconstrued. Even going back to the "I Can't Breathe" shirts the Cavs and Nets wore in warm-ups - those were in response to a very specific event. The NFL protests were much more vague and left room for interpretation.

So you think the people who take issue with the NFL protests looked at the Cavs and Nets wearing "I Can't Breathe" shirts and said, "Cool, no problem!"?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1865 on: December 22, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
So you think the people who take issue with the NFL protests looked at the Cavs and Nets wearing "I Can't Breathe" shirts and said, "Cool, no problem!"?

Of course not...and I never said that they did.

I'm not saying that one form of protest was right, wrong or otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that comparing the NFL protest to NBA players speaking their minds on specific issues is not a very good comparison.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: December 22, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
Of course not...and I never said that they did.

I'm not saying that one form of protest was right, wrong or otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that comparing the NFL protest to NBA players speaking their minds on specific issues is not a very good comparison.

I think it speaks more to the younger, more multi-cultural audience of the NBA more than anything.

Regardless, I think the point is that those who claim that the protests were the reason for the NFL ratings decline are not seeing the whole picture.  If the NFL owners are going to use that to reassure themselves that everything else is just fine, they are going to be in for a rude awakening. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1867 on: December 22, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »

I think it speaks more to the younger, more multi-cultural audience of the NBA more than anything.

Regardless, I think the point is that those who claim that the protests were the reason for the NFL ratings decline are not seeing the whole picture.  If the NFL owners are going to use that to reassure themselves that everything else is just fine, they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

To add to this, I think the protest uproar is a symptom/reflection - rather than the disease - of the toxic relationship between the league and the NFLPA.  Under Silver, the NBA has made a good relationship with the PA a clear public relations goal, and I think that's paying dividends. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1868 on: December 22, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
To add to this, I think the protest uproar is a symptom/reflection - rather than the disease - of the toxic relationship between the league and the NFLPA.  Under Silver, the NBA has made a good relationship with the PA a clear public relations goal, and I think that's paying dividends.

This is key. It allows NBA players and coaches to be themselves without it detracting from the product. And because of that, there are rules about the anthem etc that no one complains about.

If the NFL wanted to fix it, they would need to replace leadership. But even though they've been 'struggling' relative to their standards, they are still the standard-bearer. You can deal with the controversy if the checks are still coming in. So even if they want to fix it, it's not priority #1, so they don't REALLY want to fix it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1869 on: December 22, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »
That's an effen classic.

What a d-bag.

You gotta know he's one of the people who thinks the anthem thing hurt the NFL, so it's hilarious that his anti-NFL thing was hurting his company.

Yeah, the NFL is horribly damaged. Just wait till everybody sees the price some ownership group is gonna pay for the Panthers, a middle-of-the-pack team from a "desirability" viewpoint.

we shall see how much someone is willing to pay for carolina today as opposed to what they were worth say, at the end of last year.  in the mean time-this just out-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/22/ravens-cite-anthem-protest-as-one-reason-for-higher-no-shows/
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: December 22, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »

we shall see how much someone is willing to pay for carolina today as opposed to what they were worth say, at the end of last year.  in the mean time-this just out-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/22/ravens-cite-anthem-protest-as-one-reason-for-higher-no-shows/

I'm merely amused that the team President's name is Dick Cass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: December 22, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »

Huh. Another top executive blaming his company's poor performance on kneeling players.
Worked out well for the last guy who tried it, I suppose.

How much were the Panthers worth last year is unknowable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1872 on: December 22, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

we shall see how much someone is willing to pay for carolina today as opposed to what they were worth say, at the end of last year.

There's no way to know how much they were worth. The Forbes list (which said $2.3 billion this year) and others like it are just guesses. The Clippers sold for much more than the Forbes list had claimed they were worth. A team is worth exactly what somebody will pay for it, not one penny more or less.

The Panthers will bring the highest price of any team ever sold in one of the 4 major American sports leagues. Numerous groups already have said they want to buy them despite knowing that the price will be astronomical.

There has been talk of $3 billion - which would be 50% more than the Clippers, the previous highest-price sale. I wouldn't be surprised.

I have not heard word of anybody saying, "You know, I just not interested because of the anthem thingy." Have you?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1873 on: December 22, 2017, 06:59:55 PM »
Y'all aren't purposely trying to get this thread locked (or as the kids call it these days 'Dick Cassed') the day before the -9 Vikings show up are you?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1874 on: December 22, 2017, 08:16:02 PM »
Y'all aren't purposely trying to get this thread locked (or as the kids call it these days 'Dick Cassed') the day before the -9 Vikings show up are you?

I heard the Vikings were behind the events at Lambeau today. Rumor has it they were trying to break into the Hall of Fame to get their hands on a Lombardi trophy

feedback