[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280396 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1800 on: December 18, 2017, 09:15:47 PM »
Running full speed and launching the crown of your helmet into the earhole of another guy that is running full speed towards you but doesn't have any view of you is 100x more dangerous than launching your shoulder into a guy already on the ground stationary.

Both are dirty.  If one is going to cause serious long term damage to a human being it is absolutely Davis's hit on Adams.

Only 100x? Why not 1 million times?

Davis' hit was dirty and uncalled for, and he should have been suspended. I'm not going to try to justify it.

To refresh my memory, I just watched the replay of the Gronk play. The Buffalo player, White, had intercepted the pass and was laying, face-down, out of bounds. The play was over for 3 full seconds. Gronk took a running start, launched his 265-pound body at White, and finished his dirty hit with a forearm shiver to the back of White's head, which bounced off the turf like a soccer ball.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/07/tredavious-white-rob-gronkowski-hit-suspension-patriots-bills

Said the guy on the NFL Network: "That's savage, right there."

I'm not going to claim it was 100x worse than the Thomas Davis hit - because I don't know how to compare the two (and neither do you) - but it was awful and, IMHO, deserved a multiple-game suspension.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: December 18, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »
Running full speed and launching the crown of your helmet into the earhole of another guy that is running full speed towards you but doesn't have any view of you is 100x more dangerous than launching your shoulder into a guy already on the ground stationary.

Both are dirty.  If one is going to cause serious long term damage to a human being it is absolutely Davis's hit on Adams.

Pretty much everything that happens in football is dangerous. The Davis hit was illegal but it was in the course of the action and wasn't even an illegal play a few years ago. Nothing about the Gronk play was anywhere close to legal and never has been.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: December 18, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
Only 100x? Why not 1 million times?

Davis' hit was dirty and uncalled for, and he should have been suspended. I'm not going to try to justify it.

To refresh my memory, I just watched the replay of the Gronk play. The Buffalo player, White, had intercepted the pass and was laying, face-down, out of bounds. The play was over for 3 full seconds. Gronk took a running start, launched his 265-pound body at White, and finished his dirty hit with a forearm shiver to the back of White's head, which bounced off the turf like a soccer ball.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/07/tredavious-white-rob-gronkowski-hit-suspension-patriots-bills

Said the guy on the NFL Network: "That's savage, right there."

I'm not going to claim it was 100x worse than the Thomas Davis hit - because I don't know how to compare the two (and neither do you) - but it was awful and, IMHO, deserved a multiple-game suspension.

More dangerous. Not worse or more savage or with more intent behind it. But it absolutely, positively was infinitely more dangerous. Even if it was entirely accidental, it would’ve still be way more dangerous.

In one play, you have one player taking a dive and hitting a guy’s head that is laying still on the ground with his shoulder.  No doubt the intent was awful, but the worst case scenario was “just” a concussion, which is what happened. Of course that’s awful, but his life wasn’t going to be taken on that field.

In the other play you have 2 giant men running full speed towards each other. One sees the other, lowers the crown of his helmet, and launches himself as hard as he can into the other person’s earhole. Extremely unlikely Adams dies on the field, but that kind of force to the head could have done that. Adams is incredibly lucky it’s “just” his second concussion in a few months and incredibly lucky he actually got up from that hit.

In terms of actual danger, one was way, way worse, and it wasn’t Gronk’s hit.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: December 18, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
More dangerous. Not worse or more savage or with more intent behind it. But it absolutely, positively was infinitely more dangerous. Even if it was entirely accidental, it would’ve still be way more dangerous.

In one play, you have one player taking a dive and hitting a guy’s head that is laying still on the ground with his shoulder.  No doubt the intent was awful, but the worst case scenario was “just” a concussion, which is what happened. Of course that’s awful, but his life wasn’t going to be taken on that field.

In the other play you have 2 giant men running full speed towards each other. One sees the other, lowers the crown of his helmet, and launches himself as hard as he can into the other person’s earhole. Extremely unlikely Adams dies on the field, but that kind of force to the head could have done that. Adams is incredibly lucky it’s “just” his second concussion in a few months and incredibly lucky he actually got up from that hit.

You're entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree, as do many others. I'm sure others agree with you. They're just opinions.

As for the worst-case scenario on Gronk's hit, White had his own opinion: "He could have broke my neck."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: December 18, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »
Pretty much everything that happens in football is dangerous. The Davis hit was illegal but it was in the course of the action and wasn't even an illegal play a few years ago. Nothing about the Gronk play was anywhere close to legal and never has been.

I don’t care what was once legal. Thankfully we’re becoming more aware of what kind of danger players are being put in with that kind of hit. It’s not legal nor should it ever have been legal.

I would guess if you showed every doctor in America the 2 plays and asked them which one they think is more dangerous to the human that is being hit 99.99% of the answers would be the hit to Adams without any hesitation.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:48:56 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1805 on: December 18, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
The Davis hit unquestionably had more force involved then the Gronk hit....i can run the equations if you'd like
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: December 18, 2017, 11:53:38 PM »
The Davis hit unquestionably had more force involved then the Gronk hit....i can run the equations if you'd like

You don't have to. wades already gave everybody a money-back guarantee!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: December 19, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »
You don't have to. wades already gave everybody a money-back guarantee!

Aka “I don’t want to KNOW I’m wrong, I just want to keep that doubt out there so I can say wades doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

I’m totally fine with eng not doing anything to prove what I said. There is no doubt whatsoever which hit was more dangerous and could do more damage.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: December 19, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »

Wasn't Adams practically standing still?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »
Wasn't Adams practically standing still?

No.  He was running towards the defender that was sprinting full speed at him and launching the crown of his helmet into his earhole.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: December 19, 2017, 08:28:53 AM »
I don’t care what was once legal. Thankfully we’re becoming more aware of what kind of danger players are being put in with that kind of hit. It’s not legal nor should it ever have been legal.

I would guess if you showed every doctor in America the 2 plays and asked them which one they think is more dangerous to the human that is being hit 99.99% of the answers would be the hit to Adams without any hesitation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: December 19, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-diddy-combs-serious-buying-carolina-panthers-colin-kaepernick-playing-big-role-plans-193513977.html

"Combs declared Sunday that he hoped to purchase an NFL team shortly after Panthers owner Jerry Richardson announced he would be putting his controlling share of the franchise up for sale. Kaepernick echoed Combs’ interest Sunday and began moving forward with plans this week. According to a source close to the quarterback, Kaepernick has already begun reaching out to a handful of business leaders, venture capitalists and sports icons to discuss an ownership group."

I would laugh my a$$ off if this actually happens...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: December 19, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »
Must bee xmas. Actually agree with Meshuggeneh. Snowball in fookin’ hell’s got a betta shot, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: December 19, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-diddy-combs-serious-buying-carolina-panthers-colin-kaepernick-playing-big-role-plans-193513977.html

"Combs declared Sunday that he hoped to purchase an NFL team shortly after Panthers owner Jerry Richardson announced he would be putting his controlling share of the franchise up for sale. Kaepernick echoed Combs’ interest Sunday and began moving forward with plans this week. According to a source close to the quarterback, Kaepernick has already begun reaching out to a handful of business leaders, venture capitalists and sports icons to discuss an ownership group."

I would laugh my a$$ off if this actually happens...

Would the owners actually approve of the sale though?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: December 19, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
Just as soon as Scoop jumps all over Kate Upton, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: December 19, 2017, 02:25:51 PM »
Would the owners actually approve of the sale though?

Oh God no. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: December 19, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »
No.  He was running towards the defender that was sprinting full speed at him and launching the crown of his helmet into his earhole.

I was gonna point this out, too, but I didn't really want to go point-by-point with you.

I just now watched the replay 5x. Adams was going nowhere near full speed. He had slowed considerably and was starting to head the other direction. And as he angled for position, he actually was juking a little. He obviously didn't see Davis, who was going full speed or close to it.

You don't need to exaggerate to make your point. Davis was suspended. He deserved to be.

You still have "proven" nothing. We each have an opinion. I respect yours.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: December 19, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
The hit:

Personally, I would rate gronks as worse for 2 reasons: after the whistle and malicious intent.

Who could have been injured worse? Likely Adams.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: December 19, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
The hit:

Personally, I would rate gronks as worse for 2 reasons: after the whistle and malicious intent.

Who could have been injured worse? Likely Adams.

Davis's hit was more vicious, but it was during a live play on a player who was still actively participating. Had Adams turned more up field like he should have for a tackle, the block would have been less illegal (but still completely savage)

Gronk's on the other hand was after the whistle, on a player on the ground. Gronk clearly was looking to cause injury. His could have easily been seen as assault.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: December 19, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
Correct. Davis' was a football play. A dirty, crappy, vicious football play, but it actually involved something related to the action on the field.

Gronk was just pissed long after the play was over, and he decided to assault another player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: December 19, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
Davis’s hit was far, far more dangerous.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1821 on: December 19, 2017, 09:08:34 PM »
So 50% chance it was the Vikings getting screwed on something out of their control and 50% chance it’s he Vikings screwing themselves. I’d say like 95% chance Vikings screwing themselves ans 5% chance of the Vikings getting screwed.

Here’s a little seed to plant in the head of Vikings fans. Right now you’re looking at Goff, Keanum, and Wentz quarterbacking the top 3 seeds in the NFC. Let’s say the Pack get a road win at the winless Browns this week. Then let’s say Rodgers returns and the Pack win their last 3 to get in as a 6 seed. If the Vikings finish as the 2 seed and the Rams/Eagles finish as the 1 and 3 seeds (doesn’t matter which is which) are you taking Goff and/or Wentz in their first ever Playoff games over Rodgers, even with the Packers on the road? Would be awesome to see Vikings fans thinking their on their way to a home Superhowl game...only to lose at home to the Packers in the NFC title game.
Whew!  I am so glad i can sleep soundly knowing that the big bad pack won't ruin our season.

note: I know it will be ruined but nobody was really worried about the pack this year........or next.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: December 19, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »
Whew!  I am so glad i can sleep soundly knowing that the big bad pack won't ruin our season.

note: I know it will be ruined but nobody was really worried about the pack this year........or next.

Just like nobody's ever really been worried about the Vikings...well, ever.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1823 on: December 19, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »
For the defenders of Ted Thompson.

The Packers placed ZERO players on the Pro Bowl roster. ZERO. This is the guy who is considered a great scout and drafter.

So without ARod, there are in company with Cleveland, Chicago, Indy. Wow!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: December 19, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
For the defenders of Ted Thompson.

The Packers placed ZERO players on the Pro Bowl roster. ZERO. This is the guy who is considered a great scout and drafter.

So without ARod, there are in company with Cleveland, Chicago, Indy. Wow!

Which means pretty much ZERO.