collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280386 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1775 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »
Disagree, it would have been the Megatron thing as he was going to the ground and you have to complete the process.

Allison wasn't going to the ground when he caught it. He caught the ball and took 3 steps forward.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1776 on: December 18, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »
The NFL is a quarterback driven league and the Packers have had once in a generation quarterbacks for over 20 years

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and even Drew Brees might argue with the "once in a generation" designation.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1777 on: December 18, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
I am a proponent of replay, but I am also a proponent of simplification - like the college rule.  Retain control and get two feet down.  The Pittsburgh TE had control of the ball, got a knee down, had control of the ball when he brought it over the line.  Touchdown.

This is where I am.   Replay is great, should be used.  In my view, they even got the Steeler call correct per the rule, but I find the rule horrible.

If that was a runner, it is a touchdown.  Same for the other two examples I provided.  To simplify things, make it like a runner.  This idea of a football move is so arbitrary it is ruining part of the game.  If you are able to get two feet in down, or the equivalent, then that should be enough.  It will not be perfect, but what we have today are bad rules.

Three options to fix NFL catch

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21798623/three-options-fix-nfl-catch-rule-2017
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1778 on: December 18, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
Replay, in both the NFL and MLB, has reached the point of breaking down the minutiae of a play. I'd like to see a system where the officials have a set amount of time (1 minute? 90 seconds?) to review a play on the monitor. If time expires and a decision hasn't been made, the call stands. Replay requires clear and conclusive evidence. Simply put, if it's not clear and conclusive after 2-3 looks from different angles, it's not clear and conclusive.

I also have an issue with calls that could easily be corrected but are not considered reviewable. And I don't just say that because GB won a game due to a phantom facemask call that easily could have been overturned  ;)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:08:44 AM by MerrittsMustache »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1779 on: December 18, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »
Replay, in both the NFL and MLB, has reached the point of breaking down the minutiae of a play. I'd like to see a system where the officials have a set amount of time (1 minute? 90 seconds?) to review a play on the monitor. If time expires and a decision hasn't been made, the call stands.

You say this, but ...

If a team you love (and that includes MU, because they use replay in select college BKB situations, too) loses a game on a play that was ruled inconclusive after looking at it for the 90-second limit, and then 2 minutes later the network shows an angle that clearly shows the refs got the call wrong, do you promise not to join the thousands (or millions) who will whine, "They have replay! Just get the effen call right!"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1780 on: December 18, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »
Diddy says he is interested in putting together an ownership group to buy the Panthers.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article190279754.html#emlnl=Morning_Newsletter

That would be interesting. Richardson basically is forced to sell because he apparently was a sexual abuser and misogynist, but the league would let a guy who has spent years very publicly calling women "hos" and "bitches" have an NFL team?

Diddy also said that if he owned a team, he'd bring in Kaepernick to challenge for the starting QB spot. Methinks that CK would have difficulty unseating the current Panthers starter. Me also thinks, however, that Kaepernick would be an upgrade over Derek Anderson as a backup - although I've come across many Charlotte racists who actually think in their perverted world that Anderson is better than Cam.

I'd love to see Steph Curry put together an ownership group, though - and he has expressed interest. He loves Charlotte, loves NC and loves the Panthers, and I'd be confident the team would stay here for a long time.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1781 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »
Diddy says he is interested in putting together an ownership group to buy the Panthers.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article190279754.html#emlnl=Morning_Newsletter

That would be interesting. Richardson basically is forced to sell because he apparently was a sexual abuser and misogynist, but the league would let a guy who has spent years very publicly calling women "hos" and "bitches" have an NFL team?

Diddy also said that if he owned a team, he'd bring in Kaepernick to challenge for the starting QB spot. Methinks that CK would have difficulty unseating the current Panthers starter. Me also thinks, however, that Kaepernick would be an upgrade over Derek Anderson as a backup - although I've come across many Charlotte racists who actually think in their perverted world that Anderson is better than Cam.

I'd love to see Steph Curry put together an ownership group, though - and he has expressed interest. He loves Charlotte, loves NC and loves the Panthers, and I'd be confident the team would stay here for a long time.

There is also the Tupac murder...

I suspect the current ownership group has first dibs on Jerry’s majority shares.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1782 on: December 18, 2017, 10:52:25 AM »
Diddy would have to bring in partners cause he’s not rich enough.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1783 on: December 18, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
Diddy would have to bring in partners cause he’s not rich enough.

Well clearly, but in these days of insane team valuations, situations like Ballmer buying and owning a team outright is rare. However, Diddy is worth $750MM+, so it’s not like he would be some token celebrity owner like Usher with the Cavs. He could contribute a significant chunk of cash.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1784 on: December 18, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Well clearly, but in these days of insane team valuations, situations like Ballmer buying and owning a team outright is rare. However, Diddy is worth $750MM+, so it’s not like he would be some token celebrity owner like Usher with the Cavs. He could contribute a significant chunk of cash.

Agreed. The purchase price is going to be about $2B though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1785 on: December 18, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
If MU82 had just spent his time buying bitcoins instead of pissing off his neighbors, he could afford it
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1786 on: December 18, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
Can't believe I'm going to defend Goddell here, but let's be fair ... the commissioner does not make the rules of play. In fact, he has almost zero say in the rules of play, other than seeing that they're enforced. That's the providence of first the Competition Committee, which writes the rules, and then the owners, who approve them.
The current Competition Committee is:
Rich McKay
John Mara
Stephen Jones
Mark Murphy
Ozzie Newsome
Rick Smith
Marvin Lewis
Mike Tomlin
Bruce Arians
John Elway
Sean Payton

So, if you think the rules suck - and many do - blame these guys.

???

I neither mentioned nor blamed Goddell in my post.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:57:25 PM by Jockey »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1787 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »
If MU82 had just spent his time buying bitcoins instead of pissing off his neighbors, he could afford it

Teal not necessary. You're right. dammit!

But seriously ...

Despite all the handwringing about the NFL going to hell in a handbasket, there will be lots and lots of people/groups interested in buying the Panthers - a middle-of-the-road NFL franchise. They will pay an outrageous price, too. It will be interesting to watch how it all unfolds.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1788 on: December 18, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
This is where I am.   Replay is great, should be used.  In my view, they even got the Steeler call correct per the rule, but I find the rule horrible.

If that was a runner, it is a touchdown.  Same for the other two examples I provided.  To simplify things, make it like a runner.  This idea of a football move is so arbitrary it is ruining part of the game.  If you are able to get two feet in down, or the equivalent, then that should be enough.  It will not be perfect, but what we have today are bad rules.

Three options to fix NFL catch

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21798623/three-options-fix-nfl-catch-rule-2017

I think the catch rule needs to go to possession with two feet/one knee down and maintained through the point where as a runner they would be down. So if you catch it on the sideline, get two feet down with clear possession then hit the ground out of bounds as soon as you touch the ground you're down and it doesn't matter if you lose control at that point. Same with in the field of play, two feet/one knee with possession and as soon as the knee touches and a defender touches you, as long as you have possession at that instant you are down.

No more of this complete the process of the catch nonsense.

Also would require that any part of the body touches out it's out....just like if you touch the toe down but then the heel lands out it's out if you land on your lower back in bounds first but then your upper back lands out of bounds, it's incomplete.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1789 on: December 18, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
I think the catch rule needs to go to possession with two feet/one knee down and maintained through the point where as a runner they would be down. So if you catch it on the sideline, get two feet down with clear possession then hit the ground out of bounds as soon as you touch the ground you're down and it doesn't matter if you lose control at that point. Same with in the field of play, two feet/one knee with possession and as soon as the knee touches and a defender touches you, as long as you have possession at that instant you are down.

No more of this complete the process of the catch nonsense.

I agree with the concept but it could be simplified even more - If a player has complete control of the football for two steps or a knee/elbow/butt down, it's a catch. Down by contact wouldn't need to come into play.

In the Steelers' case, James wasn't technically down by contact when he lost control of the ball but he was in control of the ball when it crossed the plane of the goal line thus making the play dead. Therefore, touchdown.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1790 on: December 18, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
I agree with the concept but it could be simplified even more - If a player has complete control of the football for two steps or a knee/elbow/butt down, it's a catch. Down by contact wouldn't need to come into play.

In the Steelers' case, James wasn't technically down by contact when he lost control of the ball but he was in control of the ball when it crossed the plane of the goal line thus making the play dead. Therefore, touchdown.

Yes exactly, why introduce any sort of judgement call, make it clear cut

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1791 on: December 18, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Worse than "completing the catch" rule is the end zone fumble goes to the other team rule.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1792 on: December 18, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Thomas Davis suspended 2 games. Safe to assume that he'll appeal and get it knocked down to 1 (as was the case with Trevathan).

One game seems sufficient. However, if Gronk got 1 game for cheap-shotting a player laying on the ground after a play, one game seems too harsh. IOW, the league went too easy on Gronk and now, once again, they look like fools handing out arbitrary suspensions.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1793 on: December 18, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »
Thomas Davis suspended 2 games. Safe to assume that he'll appeal and get it knocked down to 1 (as was the case with Trevathan).

One game seems sufficient. However, if Gronk got 1 game for cheap-shotting a player laying on the ground after a play, one game seems too harsh. IOW, the league went too easy on Gronk and now, once again, they look like fools handing out arbitrary suspensions.

Ding ding ding

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1795 on: December 18, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »
Worse than "completing the catch" rule is the end zone fumble goes to the other team rule.

Should be loss of down and the ball returned to the team who had it at the 20 yard line.  Not my idea, but read about it earlier this year and fully endorse the concept, but only if it is accidentally lost.  A player can't bat it out and get this kind of do over.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1796 on: December 18, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »

Again, 100% agree. Gronk's suspension was a joke, he should have been out for the rest of the regular season at minimum. Disgusting disregard for human life completely outside the spirit of competition. Now the NFL boxed themselves in on hits of that nature. So so stupid.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1797 on: December 18, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Running full speed and launching the crown of your helmet into the earhole of another guy that is running full speed towards you but doesn't have any view of you is 100x more dangerous than launching your shoulder into a guy already on the ground stationary.

Both are dirty.  If one is going to cause serious long term damage to a human being it is absolutely Davis's hit on Adams.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:49:17 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1799 on: December 18, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »
Again, 100% agree. Gronk's suspension was a joke, he should have been out for the rest of the regular season at minimum. Disgusting disregard for human life completely outside the spirit of competition. Now the NFL boxed themselves in on hits of that nature. So so stupid.

Goodell and the league has a history of only handing out suspensions when pressure is on.

Whatever you think of the JuJu Smith-Schuster block he was suspended for, I doubt that suspension isn't handed out if 1) Shazier didn't have the scary injury earlier and 2) If that game wasn't on national television.

The Thomas Davis suspension happened, because it followed the JuJu suspension (note that no suspension was given for LaQuon Treadwell's blindside block against the Packers earlier in the year).

Sad to say it, but if that Bill's player suffers a serious injury, then Gronk actually gets a worthy suspension.

feedback