[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280381 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1725 on: December 17, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »

I get my work done efficiently so I can waste time watching college football.

Yeah, my job is such that their is no "getting work done".  It never ends, it is just a matter of how far behind you are. 

I'm about as efficient as they come.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: December 17, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
No offense, but you Packers fans are coming off as incredibly spoiled.
Your team has the second-best record in the NFL over the past decade. They've been to the playoffs 9 out of the past 10 seasons.
Your GM's lack of impact players drafted includes Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews, David Bakhtiari and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, among others, all while drafting in the bottom third of every round more often than not.

You do realize that just about every fan base in the NFL outside of Boston and maybe Pittsburgh would trade places with you in a heartbeat?

Also, regardless of the outcome of today's game, it's not a very good day for the Panthers' organization.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: December 17, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »

Deal with it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: December 17, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »
It's pretty damn funny to me that the Panthers owner is in trouble for, among other things, examining and commenting on women's asses on their jeans on Denim Friday. This game turned on officials in NYC examining a man's ass in super slow motion to determine if any bit of it went out bounds.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: December 17, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
Your team has the second-best record in the NFL over the past decade. They've been to the playoffs 9 out of the past 10 seasons.
Your GM's lack of impact players drafted includes Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews, David Bakhtiari and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, among others, all while drafting in the bottom third of every round more often than not.

You do realize that just about every fan base in the NFL outside of Boston and maybe Pittsburgh would trade places with you in a heartbeat?

Also, regardless of the outcome of today's game, it's not a very good day for the Panthers' organization.

GB fans have some "SEC football fan" in them. They were great 50 years ago so they believe they're entitled to a championship-caliber team every year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: December 17, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »
Yeah, my job is such that their is no "getting work done".  It never ends, it is just a matter of how far behind you are. 

I'm about as efficient as they come.

There vs. their

Grade some more papers, bud.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1731 on: December 17, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
GB fans have some "SEC football fan" in them. They were great 50 years ago so they believe they're entitled to a championship-caliber team every year.

“The owners” demand excellence!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: December 17, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »

Hmm. I was negative 20+ years old those 50 years ago. What the Packers did with Lombardi has no influence on my view of the Packers and what I feel entitled to.

I’m a Ted backer though. What we really need is a new strength and conditioning staff/regimen.

Also, not sure how this is hard to understand. Not all franchises are equal. I’ll tell you what, I’ll complain next year if Wojo doesn’t have this MU team solidly in the NCAA Tournament with a real shot to make a deep run. And it has nothing to do with the 1970s teams I never once saw play. When you have Favre followed by Rodgers, expectations are and should be high. When they aren’t met, people will be unhappy. That’s not selfish, whiny, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: December 17, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »

I don't see the comparison.  In the SEC they 'claim' to be better despite the fact that they play non-conference games against The Citadel and are still 'owed' 3 of the 4 playoff spots every year.  Packers fans understand their historic place in the hierarchy of NFL football but understand that every season is a new challenge and that winning matters.  Yes, Packers fans have high expectations for their team but don't expect things to be handed to them.

So now the season is officially 'over' and I can stop paying attention.  Probably will only casually watch a little playoffs and SB with no interest whatsoever in the outcome.

Pitchers and catchers in about 60?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: December 17, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
Obviously, I enjoyed the hell out of the Panthers beating the Packers.

I really like Thomas Davis, one of the NFL's good guys and a very good LB. He was visibly shaken by his own hit. However, I agree he should have been ejected and I said so at the time. It was a completely unnecessary hit on a defenseless player.

Rodgers seemed as much mentally rusty as physically. He underthrew a couple of passes and threw behind a couple of receivers, but at least 2 of the INTs came on passes he simply shouldn't have thrown. They were forced plays - the kind of bonehead INTs Cam used to throw. If this were Rodgers' 13th or 14th game of the season, I doubt he would have made most of those throws. All in all, he did OK considering everything.

Cam threw for 242 yards and 4 TDs, had a 128 rating, and ran for 58 yards ... and at least one of y'all said he only had a so-so game. I'll take that so-so game from my QB every freakin' week and we'll see y'all in the Super Bowl, thank you! He's a hell of an athlete and a pretty darn good QB, too - and he's won a lot of football games these last 5 years. He made several excellent throws today. Also drew the Packers offside 87 times. Not sure how anybody could watch that game and not conclude that Cam far outplayed Rodgers; given Rodgers' situation, I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't.

The bar my wife and I went to, we sat down next to a guy and his wife. They were getting ready to leave, but we chit-chatted for a minute. The guy said he liked the Panthers but he didn't like Cam "because he's arrogant." Here in Charlotte, that is dog whistle for "uppity n-word." I mean, because Brady and Rodgers - and most great athletes - aren't arrogant. The "discount double-check" isn't arrogant. Classic.

It was a weird week for the Panthers, with the owner having to settle improper sexual conduct charges. Douchebags everywhere. I like wades' comment about it being appropriate that the one TD was about the Panthers' receiver's butt cheek!

I happen to think they ultimately got the call right - the super-slow-mo showed the left cheek hitting the ground inbounds slightly before the right cheek hit out of bounds. The call that ended the game - the GB receiver fumbling after making a good catch - was obvious.

McCaffrey had a nice game - but he's got to handle that onside kick. We got away with one there.

This Panthers team is quite similar to the 2015 team that went to the Super Bowl - very talented and quite good, but prone to mistakes especially while trying to hold big leads. In the end, they win a lot more of those than they lose, thankfully. The Panthers are as good as anybody in the league. Definitely could go back to the SB. Also could lose in the first round.

Cam has outplayed Rodgers, Brady, Stafford and Ryan this season. But the Panthers probably won't win their division because he couldn't outplay Brees ... or Trubisky! That was the game in which Trubisky threw only 7 passes but the Bears won because Cam was victimized by 2 tipped passes that were intercepted for TDs. We beat the good teams in the NFC North but lost 17-3 to the Bears in by far the worst game of the season. That's effen sports!

Go Panthers! Go Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: December 17, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
NFL rules are weird.  I have no idea how that was a touchdown catch.
I thought that too until they showed it from the other angle. looked like he had control and his ass was in the end zone

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: December 17, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »
I thought that too until they showed it from the other angle. looked like he had control and his ass was in the end zone

I didn't see enough evidence to overturn it.  But I am biased and wasnt paying much attention at that point.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1737 on: December 17, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
GB fans have some "SEC football fan" in them.

Bears fans have no need. ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: December 17, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »
And then that is NOT a catch. Hysterical.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: December 17, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
Keeps my perfect week alive for my pickem pool but that is a touchdown everyday of the week.

Goodness me, that was a terrible call.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: December 17, 2017, 06:35:55 PM »
Garoppolo is really good. Niners are going to be interesting next couple years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: December 17, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »

That was a great game. Until that review. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: December 17, 2017, 06:47:09 PM »
It would make my night if you were a fan of an NFC North team.  Otherwise, meh

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: December 17, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
Still can't figure out that call at the end of the Steelers-Pat game. Sure seemed like a TD to me ... but it's hard to know what isn't and isn't one any more. I admit I don't know every nuance of the rule.

Nevertheless ...

The Steelers had 2 chances to win the game, no questions asked. 3rd-and-4 in their next-to-last possession, they get the first down it's game over. They only get 3 yards. Then, early in Patriots' winning drive, they have an INT right in their hands. I've seen 8-year-olds make that play. But the DB drops it and gives Brady new life.

Make either one of those two plays, and you win the game, and nobody's talking about the replay system.

Not to mention that Big Ben CAN'T throw an INT there. Has to make sure that the absolutely worst result is a tying FG.

So did the weird "what's a catch" rule beat the Steelers? Kinda. It says here that what really beat them was their own inability to finish the job.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: December 17, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
Keeps my perfect week alive for my pickem pool but that is a touchdown everyday of the week.

Goodness me, that was a terrible call.

goodness me?  shucky darns it was the right call it's the rule that sucks

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: December 17, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »

That was a great game. Until that review.

Goodell has made the NFL unwatchable for the fans. Owners may like him for his lawyer skills, but the fans have been left in the dust.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: December 17, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »

I think it was correct call/bad rule.

As I understand it, "completing the catch" supercedes "crossing the plane" in that situation. James came down with the ball in his hands and it hit the ground and moved. Therefore, incomplete and no touchdown.

I dislike the rule

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: December 17, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
Deal with it.

Oh, I do. Every time I read this thread.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: December 17, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »

That seemed a catch.  Dez Bryant's seemed a catch.  Calvin Johnson's seemed a catch.  It's hard to watch anymore. Someone on Youtube had a highlight reel of them and it is hard to understand.  For 70 years those were catches, and now because of replay they aren't and we get into things like did he make a football move or play.  Well, the guy isn't out there playing poker, every move he makes when the ball is snapped is a football move. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: December 17, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »
As a Lion's fan, if that had been ruled a catch for the Steelers, I would have thrown stuff at the TV, and I was rooting for the Steelers.    His hand came off of the ball as he landed.    Not a catch.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.