collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280416 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1450 on: November 14, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
Ah, Jay Cutler ... the gift that keeps on giving!

The Panthers had dominated the first half but led only 10-7 when Jay and the Dolphins got the ball on their 20 with 47 seconds left. I was hoping Gase would get greedy and tell his boy to try to put points on the board. Sure enough, that's what they did ... and Cutler made a horrible pass that Kuechly intercepted.

Four plays later, my lads had a 10-point lead. And when the Panthers opened the second half with a 78-yard TD drive, it was all but over.

As is often the case, Cutler's stats looked OK: 22-37-213-2-1. But also as has so often been the case during his mediocre career, that "1" was a killer. And of course, his stats were bolstered by garbage-time yards and a meaningless TD pass.

The Dolphins couldn't stop the Panthers, so my boyz probably would have won even if Cutler had been good. Still, they had a chance to extend several drives but Cutler misfired often on 3rd down. And he can't even blame his line, as they did a good job blocking against a very good Panthers defense.

So I'll just wrap this up by saying:

Thanks, Jay Cutler!

Now you know why us Packer fans LOVED Jay.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1451 on: November 14, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »
Ah, Jay Cutler ... the gift that keeps on giving!

The Panthers had dominated the first half but led only 10-7 when Jay and the Dolphins got the ball on their 20 with 47 seconds left. I was hoping Gase would get greedy and tell his boy to try to put points on the board. Sure enough, that's what they did ... and Cutler made a horrible pass that Kuechly intercepted.

Four plays later, my lads had a 10-point lead. And when the Panthers opened the second half with a 78-yard TD drive, it was all but over.

As is often the case, Cutler's stats looked OK: 22-37-213-2-1. But also as has so often been the case during his mediocre career, that "1" was a killer. And of course, his stats were bolstered by garbage-time yards and a meaningless TD pass.

The Dolphins couldn't stop the Panthers, so my boyz probably would have won even if Cutler had been good. Still, they had a chance to extend several drives but Cutler misfired often on 3rd down. And he can't even blame his line, as they did a good job blocking against a very good Panthers defense.

So I'll just wrap this up by saying:

Thanks, Jay Cutler!

I'll give you that Cutler has thrown some killer INTs (though not as many as his reputation would have you believe) and his career has been largely mediocre. However, this post is, once again, an example of the lazy narrative that has followed Cutler around.

Yes, he threw a bad INT late in the 1st half. Was it a "killer" INT? Hardly. The Miami D allowed 548 yards of offense and in the 2nd half, they forced zero punts and allowed TD drives of 78, 48, 87 and 83 yards. I suppose that without Kuechly's INT, none of that would have happened, huh?

Also, Cutler often misfired on third down? He actually went 4-7 for 54 yards on 3rd downs, picking up 3 firsts. Those numbers would have been better but he had a 16-yard completion for a first wiped out because Tunsil didn't line up on the actual LOS.

Has Cutler lived up to his potential? Absolutely not! He's an incredible talent who's had an average NFL career. That, however, doesn't mean that he's as bad as so many lazy fans and writers would lead you to believe.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1452 on: November 14, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »

Has Cutler lived up to his potential? Absolutely not! He's an incredible talent who's had an average NFL career. That, however, doesn't mean that he's as bad as so many lazy fans and writers would lead you to believe.

He is not an incredible talent. He has one above average skill. He can throw the ball hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: November 14, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
I'll give you that Cutler has thrown some killer INTs (though not as many as his reputation would have you believe) and his career has been largely mediocre. However, this post is, once again, an example of the lazy narrative that has followed Cutler around.

Yes, he threw a bad INT late in the 1st half. Was it a "killer" INT? Hardly. The Miami D allowed 548 yards of offense and in the 2nd half, they forced zero punts and allowed TD drives of 78, 48, 87 and 83 yards. I suppose that without Kuechly's INT, none of that would have happened, huh?

Also, Cutler often misfired on third down? He actually went 4-7 for 54 yards on 3rd downs, picking up 3 firsts. Those numbers would have been better but he had a 16-yard completion for a first wiped out because Tunsil didn't line up on the actual LOS.

Good, bad, mediocre, whatever.  He's quite often the best thing that can happen to an opponent.  Having a quarterback who does not understand the value of having possession of the ball is the worst thing that can happen to an NFL team.  Nobody understands this less than Jay Cutler.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1454 on: November 14, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »

You and I are going to have different definitions of "killer."

The Panthers totally dominated the first 1 1/2 quarters of the game but had only a 10-0 lead to show for it. And right after taking the 10-0 lead, they gave up a long TD drive to the Dolphins; Cutler, in full "good-Jay" mode, did a nice job leading that drive.

Finally playing decently, the Dolphins D forced the Panthers to punt on their next possession. For the first time all game, the Dolphins had the momentum.

One play later ... a typical Jay, piece of crap, stupid decision, thrown into tight coverage, backbone-breaking INT. Panthers get a TD right before the half, get the 2nd half KO and score again, and the game is over.

In my view, that's absolutely a killer INT.

Jay made some nice passes during a couple of drives, including one in garbage time. That's the Cutler Tease. That's why the Dolphins were willing to throw $10 million at him when nobody else was willing to pay him big bucks. That's why the Bears threw the bank vault at him prior to that.

As for his career ... I'd posit that somebody with "incredible talent" who largely wastes it over the span of a mediocre career is a lot worse than a Jonathan Quinn or a Henry Burris who simply sucks.

BTW, I didn't say Jay was "bad." I said he's the gift that keeps on giving. Nothing you said here changes my mind about that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1455 on: November 14, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
My Dolphins have been on nat'l TV four times this year. Combined score in those games: 132 - 45. Womp womp.

Cutler's pick before half was a backbreaker, given how Mia was struggling to stay in the game. The defense played pretty well for how much they were on the field in the first half, but giving away 7 pts there, combined with the TD after halftime effectively ended the game on the ole Belichick swing.

While that throw was bad, though, Cutler hasn't been the reason the Dolphins are bad - but he's not making them better, either. He's pretty much just another guy out of 11. It has the feel that Gase has tried to limit Cutler's mistakes so much, that he's taken the air out of the ball. I'd rather go down in a flaming ball of Smokin' Jay glory hucking it deep to Stills and Parker than all this.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: November 14, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »
Did you wonder WTF was wrong with the mods when the already multiply-banned chicos was making political posts just yesterday? How about when you were making your political posts?
If by "making political posts" you mean "defending a pedophile", then yeah.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1457 on: November 14, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »
Now you know why us Packer fans LOVED Jay.

The devastating blow was dealt on Thursday, and a cold, somber weekend ensued statewide. Fresh air failed to revive. Beer didn’t taste as satisfying. The laughter of babies sounded hollow. It’s all because of one man. After leading his Bears to a 2-11 record against the Packers, Thursday, March 9 saw the release of quarterback Jay Cutler. Fans still need time to grieve in Green Bay.

https://shepherdexpress.com/sports/packers/wisconsin-s-sad-farewell-jay-cutler/
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1458 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
The devastating blow was dealt on Thursday, and a cold, somber weekend ensued statewide. Fresh air failed to revive. Beer didn’t taste as satisfying. The laughter of babies sounded hollow. It’s all because of one man. After leading his Bears to a 2-11 record against the Packers, Thursday, March 9 saw the release of quarterback Jay Cutler. Fans still need time to grieve in Green Bay.

https://shepherdexpress.com/sports/packers/wisconsin-s-sad-farewell-jay-cutler/

Yet, often overlooked is the fact that if Cutler doesn't tear his MCL, there's a chance that Rodgers has zero rings. No, it's not a huge chance but a healthy Cutler would have given the Bears a better shot than Todd Collins or Caleb Hanie  ;)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
Yet, often overlooked is the fact that if Cutler doesn't tear his MCL, there's a chance that Rodgers has zero rings. No, it's not a huge chance but a healthy Cutler would have given the Bears a better shot than Todd Collins or Caleb Hanie  ;)

Definitely a better chance than Hanie or Collins, but the Bears were down 14-0 at half WITH Cutler. So, I doubt it makes a difference.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1460 on: November 14, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
Definitely a better chance than Hanie or Collins, but the Bears were down 14-0 at half WITH Cutler. So, I doubt it makes a difference.

Yeah.  Of the 3 quarterbacks to take snaps for the Bears that game Jay Cutler had the lowest QB rating of them all.  1 fumble, 1 interception, 80 yards on 14 pass attempts, a completion percentage well under 50%.  But we know that Jay Cutler always dominated the Packers, so I'm sure they would've had a great chance of coming back from down 14 in that second half.

Always good to get a laugh on a Tuesday afternoon.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1461 on: November 14, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
Yeah.  Of the 3 quarterbacks to take snaps for the Bears that game Jay Cutler had the lowest QB rating of them all.  1 fumble, 1 interception, 80 yards on 14 pass attempts, a completion percentage well under 50%.  But we know that Jay Cutler always dominated the Packers, so I'm sure they would've had a great chance of coming back from down 14 in that second half.

It's hard to play worse than Todd Collins did in that game, but Jay sure gave it the ol' college try

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1462 on: November 14, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »

1) The Packers' offense was shutout in the 2nd half so it's not completely unheard of.

2) Cutler was injured much earlier than when he finally came out.

3) Caleb Hanie had the best QB rating in the game (including Rodgers) so he must have been the best QB that day. We all know that QB Rating trumps all else. If only the Bears had started him!

4) My statement was largely tongue-in-cheek but I knew you'd respond. Your response was actually pretty subdued for you though. Perhaps you're finally maturing!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1463 on: November 14, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
1) The Packers' offense was shutout in the 2nd half so it's not completely unheard of.

2) Cutler was injured much earlier than when he finally came out.

3) Caleb Hanie had the best QB rating in the game (including Rodgers) so he must have been the best QB that day. We all know that QB Rating trumps all else. If only the Bears had started him!

4) My statement was largely tongue-in-cheek but I knew you'd respond. Your response was actually pretty subdued for you though. Perhaps you're finally maturing!

C'mon guys, everyone knows QBR doesn't matter. Only QB wins. Absent that, GRIT

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1464 on: November 14, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
C'mon guys, everyone knows QBR doesn't matter. Only QB wins. Absent that, GRIT

Yeah.  QB rating doesn't matter/isn't a good indicator of how a QB played.  That's a new one...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1465 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
Yeah.  QB rating doesn't matter/isn't a good indicator of how a QB played.  That's a new one...
Pretty sure that post was teal

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: November 14, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »
Pretty sure that post was teal

I know. He was poking at MM suggesting that looking at QB ratings was a bad idea. Rodgers played a bad game that day. Thankfully the starting quarterback he was going up against was Jay Cutler.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1467 on: November 15, 2017, 10:51:51 AM »
Lions vs Bears.    It feels like the kind of games the Lions will lose.    They NEED to win it.   They NEED to take care of a division foe that is struggling if they want to get a wild card berth.     Because they NEED to win it, I expect a large egg to be laid.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: November 15, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/nfl/nfl-owners-reportedly-told-jerry-jones-to-end-battle-against-roger-goodell/vi-BBEYzxC

NFL sends Jerra a cease and desist order in regards to his public statements about the commissioner.    This should be fun.    Now that Papa Johns has apologized to protesters and flipped off the Nazi's, I may order one and sit back and watch. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1469 on: November 15, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/nfl/nfl-owners-reportedly-told-jerry-jones-to-end-battle-against-roger-goodell/vi-BBEYzxC

NFL sends Jerra a cease and desist order in regards to his public statements about the commissioner.    This should be fun.    Now that Papa Johns has apologized to protesters and flipped off the Nazi's, I may order one and sit back and watch.
Don't threaten to do things you're going to regret.  I ordered it for the fist time last week for our end of year baseball party and I forgot how bad fast food pizza is.  Thankfully I also ordered some pies from a local shoppe for the adults.

The JJ situation is going to be fun to watch though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1470 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:35 PM »
Good ole Jerra overplayed his hand a little, aiina?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1471 on: November 15, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »
Good ole Jerra overplayed his hand a little, aiina?

Yep. Its funny, Roger needs to go, but if his contract extension is what finally breaks Jerry's hegemony over the league, then perhaps something positive can be taken from the Goodell era.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: November 15, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
Wait. I thought Papa and Jerry were all upset about the (still ongoing) protests?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1473 on: November 15, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
Papa apologized to the protestors and rejected the neo Nazi's that had embraced their original stance.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #1474 on: November 15, 2017, 05:22:27 PM »
Don't threaten to do things you're going to regret.  I ordered it for the fist time last week for our end of year baseball party and I forgot how bad fast food pizza is.  Thankfully I also ordered some pies from a local shoppe for the adults.

The JJ situation is going to be fun to watch though.

Papa John's is truly abhorrent pizza.

feedback