[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280394 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1250 on: November 07, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
Were the Vikings built around an MVP-caliber QB?

In the two games he played this season, yes.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1251 on: November 07, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »

You are correct.  Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy aren't as good as the people running the best franchise of the past 15 years.  They should be fired, their dogs killed and their lawns salted.

OK, so what is the expectation we should have for them, they have a franchise QB fall into their laps and they build an offense that apparently only he can run but it's ok because they also built an extremely mediocre defense with all the money they save because Rodgers doesn't have to be paid his actual value.

It's not like Rodgers is soaking up a lot of cap space, how is the defense as bad as it was last night with two weeks to prepare? Inability to coach, lack of talent, bad scheme? It's gotta be something right?

Side note, Bulaga tore his ACL last night so guess we're rolling with our 3rd string OT for the rest of the season.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: November 07, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
My expectation is that they build a team that is successful and is a championship contender.  By and large, they have done that.  Do I wish they would have won more championships?  Sure.  But I am not going to be *that* fan. 

They've done fine.  But as I have said, it just feels like this group has run its course.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: November 07, 2017, 03:13:47 PM »
In the two games he played this season, yes.

Bradford was great against New Orleans then bad/injured/benched against the Bears in Week 5 and hasn't been seen since. On top of that, last season Bradford was 7-8 as a starter for a team that finished 18th in passing offense and he received as many MVP votes as I did. The Vikings also signed Latavius Murray and drafted Dalvin Cook in the 2nd Round. They were hardly a team built around an MVP-caliber QB.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: November 07, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
No, but they apparently were smart enough to have more than one competent QB on the roster.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1255 on: November 07, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
No, but they apparently were smart enough to have more than one competent QB on the roster.

If this is a reference to Hundley, I actually think he's competent....I think it's the coaching staff that is in question.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1256 on: November 07, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »

Defense = GB doesn't have one.

Same thing in Houston a couple years ago.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1257 on: November 07, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
I saw two teams last night that lack playmakers on defense, lack running games, lack great offensive lines.    One still has their starting quarterback.    If the positions were reversed, and AR played and the Lions were going with Jake Rudock at quarterback, the beatdown would have gone the other way and been worse.

I feel like the Lions have the right pieces in the backfield as far as RBs are concerned, but JBC rarely uses them correctly. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: November 07, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »
If you have an all timer at QB, the general manager has free range to bolster the rest of the roster.

What exactly has been bolstered?

Ryan Pace has built a pretty good defense and offensive line while having to over reach for a QB.

What has TT built that is above average outside AR12?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: November 07, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »
If you have an all timer at QB, the general manager has free range to bolster the rest of the roster.

Not if he eats up 15% of your cap. Teams like the Colts, Saints, Washington, Ravens, and Cardinals (and soon the Lions and Raiders) all have QBs that take up a ton of their space, and its really crippled their abilities to build around them. Granted, only Ind and maybe NO have QBs that could arguably come close to what Rodgers gives you, but i don't think having Rodgers really frees you up in roster construction.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1260 on: November 07, 2017, 09:53:16 PM »
Good. Glad we cleared that up. Out of intellectual consistency, I expect that you will have no counterargument to "if someone feels disrespected, that's all that matters" when discussing social issues on this board.

But that isn't what I stated.  I said that some will be upset and some will not, using the military as an example.  Is that not true? We can't get 100% of Americans to agree we went to the moon or that the earth is a sphere, you don't expect everyone to agree on anything else do you? 

It comes down to degrees in my view.   If 65% of American Veterans think you should stand for the national anthem and kneeling is disrespectful (poll in October), is that the same as 18% of Native Americans wanting to change a nickname? 

We should acknowledge the views of both sides, but that doesn't mean both sides are equal in the argument or claim.  Or do you think it does?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »
Not if he eats up 15% of your cap. Teams like the Colts, Saints, Washington, Ravens, and Cardinals (and soon the Lions and Raiders) all have QBs that take up a ton of their space, and its really crippled their abilities to build around them. Granted, only Ind and maybe NO have QBs that could arguably come close to what Rodgers gives you, but i don't think having Rodgers really frees you up in roster construction.

I don't disagree on the term of salary cap, but that's never been a GB issue.

TT still hasn't built anything out of the draft.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
I don't disagree on the term of salary cap, but that's never been a GB issue.

TT still hasn't built anything out of the draft.

You're right, I was probably being a little obtuse. I generally like TT's philosophy and commitment to building through the draft, but the problem is that he just hasn't done anything with those picks. Here are the Pack's first and second rounders since 2010 - not great: Mike Neal, Bryan Bulaga, Randall Cobb, Derek Sherrod, Casey Hayward, Jerel Worthy, Nick Perry, Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Davante Adams, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Quinten Rollins, Damarious Randall, Jason Spriggs, Kenny Clark, Josh Jones, Kevin King.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: November 07, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
You're right, I was probably being a little obtuse. I generally like TT's philosophy and commitment to building through the draft, but the problem is that he just hasn't done anything with those picks. Here are the Pack's first and second rounders since 2010 - not great: Mike Neal, Bryan Bulaga, Randall Cobb, Derek Sherrod, Casey Hayward, Jerel Worthy, Nick Perry, Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Davante Adams, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Quinten Rollins, Damarious Randall, Jason Spriggs, Kenny Clark, Josh Jones, Kevin King.

Most of those guys have been pretty good NFL players.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1264 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:49 PM »
Most of those guys have been pretty good NFL players.

Right. Except teams that get no great players in the first two rounds over a period of time don't fare well unless you have a HOF QB. The roster, minus ARod, is average at best. Possibly below average.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: November 08, 2017, 05:15:48 AM »

I feel like the Lions have the right pieces in the backfield as far as RBs are concerned, but JBC rarely uses them correctly.
No fullback.  Abdullah is small and fumbles. Riddick is a third down pass catcher.  Nobody can be counted on to score from the  2 yard line.   Therefore, they aren't the right pieces.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: November 08, 2017, 05:34:26 AM »
Right. Except teams that get no great players in the first two rounds over a period of time don't fare well unless you have a HOF QB. The roster, minus ARod, is average at best. Possibly below average.

Bingo.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1267 on: November 08, 2017, 06:34:34 AM »

I think this roster wins the North with any average starting quarterback. Give th Packers Joe Flacco for this entire season and they’re a 10-6 type season.

No team in the NFL is winning with Brett Hundley. It’s not that the only QB who can take the Packers from the Browns to the Playoffs is Aaron Rodgers. It’s that Brett Hundley doesn’t allow any team to be anything but the Browns.

QB is by far the most important position in football. When you have the worst starting QB in football you aren’t going to win many games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1268 on: November 08, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »
I think this roster wins the North with any average starting quarterback. Give th Packers Joe Flacco for this entire season and they’re a 10-6 type season.

No team in the NFL is winning with Brett Hundley. It’s not that the only QB who can take the Packers from the Browns to the Playoffs is Aaron Rodgers. It’s that Brett Hundley doesn’t allow any team to be anything but the Browns.

QB is by far the most important position in football. When you have the worst starting QB in football you aren’t going to win many games.

Could Joe Flacco win with this defense? Offense is a problem but it isn't THE problem. This defense gave up 30 points with two weeks to prepare for a Lions team that's previous outing resulted in kicking 5 field goals against the Steelers at home and losing (A Steelers team that lost to the Bears I might add).

TT has invested in the defense and it's still crap. It's a talent recognition issue or it's a talent development issue, but either way some has got to go.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1269 on: November 08, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »

Then the Packers did a poor job of drafting him or developing him, yes?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: November 08, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
Then the Packers did a poor job of drafting him or developing him, yes?

Well I think in retrospect you can see why he fell to the fifth round in a pretty bad quarterback draft. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1271 on: November 08, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »
I'm still not convinced Hundley is the problem.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: November 08, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »

I don't think he is the entire problem.  A defense that hasn't forced a punt for more than six quarters is a problem.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: November 08, 2017, 10:00:07 AM »
If anyone wants a great deal on a pair of tickets in Sec. 330 for the Ravens game PM me.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: November 08, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »

He's not the biggest problem Eng.  But GB has no ability to fix the other problems this year in my view so personally I'd ride him out.

Kinda too bad.  His poor 10 game audition will eliminate any chance at a meaningful second contract.  And from all reports he's a darn good kid.