collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280386 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1150 on: November 02, 2017, 07:01:41 PM »
Texans owner has signed off on a kapernick workout. Please, please, please.

they haven't finished scouring the lingerie league though?? :)
don't...don't don't don't don't

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1151 on: November 02, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »
Rodgers, Luck, Tannehill, Watson, Cook, Odell, Watt, Palmer, David Johnson, etc

Lots of missing stars this year so far
The question is: do you want good teams that win?  or stars that perform well?   Basically it's fantasy team vs. team performance.

There are plenty of teams that have lost their star QB/RB/WR/etc and continued to win. 

Depending on why you watch the game (because it is a pure sport or because it is entertainment) and how a team plays (player vs system based) determines how the loss of specific personnel impacts your viewership/team performance.

I view it as pure colosseum entertainment and my team of choice (Vike's) are currently system based and, therefore, find the games entertaining.  If the Vikings go back to a player based system i'll go back to not being entertained. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: November 02, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Mea cults on my preseason Jets thoughts. I know there's bad teams, but give Todd Bowles tons of credit. Their organization openly tried to tank, their roster was/is dreadful, and they've already won 4 games.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: November 03, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
The question is: do you want good teams that win?  or stars that perform well?   Basically it's fantasy team vs. team performance.

There are plenty of teams that have lost their star QB/RB/WR/etc and continued to win. 

Depending on why you watch the game (because it is a pure sport or because it is entertainment) and how a team plays (player vs system based) determines how the loss of specific personnel impacts your viewership/team performance.

I view it as pure colosseum entertainment and my team of choice (Vike's) are currently system based and, therefore, find the games entertaining.  If the Vikings go back to a player based system i'll go back to not being entertained. 

You want to see good football.  Subbing out Watson for Tom Savage means more bad football. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: November 03, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
Mea cults on my preseason Jets thoughts. I know there's bad teams, but give Todd Bowles tons of credit. Their organization openly tried to tank, their roster was/is dreadful, and they've already won 4 games.

Shouldn't it be the opposite?  He's hurting the long term future of the team to pick up meaningless wins.  He also did nothing with more talented rosters, but now he's picking up wins with guys who have everything to prove.  Id be less than pleased if I was a Jets fan.  At least the Bears refusal to tank is highlighting a potential franchise QB and some exciting young skill position players/vastly improved D.  With the exception of Robby Anderson who has been electric, they are doing it with a 40 year old QB, an over the hill RB, and a thoroughly mediocre defense who thankfully has forced a lot of TOs.  They are the Bulls of a few years ago.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: November 03, 2017, 12:52:35 PM »
Shouldn't it be the opposite?  He's hurting the long term future of the team to pick up meaningless wins.  He also did nothing with more talented rosters, but now he's picking up wins with guys who have everything to prove.  Id be less than pleased if I was a Jets fan.  At least the Bears refusal to tank is highlighting a potential franchise QB and some exciting young skill position players/vastly improved D.  With the exception of Robby Anderson who has been electric, they are doing it with a 40 year old QB, an over the hill RB, and a thoroughly mediocre defense who thankfully has forced a lot of TOs.  They are the Bulls of a few years ago.

Jets fan here.  Have to disagree.  There's no guarantee that tanking gets you Darnold, Rosen, or the guy from Wyoming.  They also are not "can't miss" prospects.  I'd rather not tank for the #1 unless it's as close to a guarantee as possible.  QBs can be found at all levels of the draft (D. Watson - 12th, Rodgers - 25?, Prescott - 4th round?, R. Wilson - 3rd?, Brady - 6th?, etc.).  There's no harm in winning some games, seeing if John Morton can excel as an offensive coordinator and letting the young guys develop (Robby A., Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, Marcus Maye, etc.)

Over the hill RB - do you mean Forte?  Sure, but Powell is 27 I believe and Elijah McGuire has been good also.  They certain have some work to do (quarterback, cornerback, offensive line, OLB) but I, for one, am not disappointed that they've won 4 games.  Frankly they should be at least 5-4 (Miami loss) and could have beaten New England as well.  That's disappointing. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: November 03, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
Jets fan here.  Have to disagree.  There's no guarantee that tanking gets you Darnold, Rosen, or the guy from Wyoming.  They also are not "can't miss" prospects.  I'd rather not tank for the #1 unless it's as close to a guarantee as possible.  QBs can be found at all levels of the draft (D. Watson - 12th, Rodgers - 25?, Prescott - 4th round?, R. Wilson - 3rd?, Brady - 6th?, etc.).  There's no harm in winning some games, seeing if John Morton can excel as an offensive coordinator and letting the young guys develop (Robby A., Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, Marcus Maye, etc.)

Over the hill RB - do you mean Forte?  Sure, but Powell is 27 I believe and Elijah McGuire has been good also.  They certain have some work to do (quarterback, cornerback, offensive line, OLB) but I, for one, am not disappointed that they've won 4 games.  Frankly they should be at least 5-4 (Miami loss) and could have beaten New England as well.  That's disappointing.

From a Jets fan, thats good to hear, cause the few Jets fans I know aren't super thrilled.  Not losing every game, but when you're expecting to be pretty good like last year and disappoint.  You go into this year ready to tank and rebuild and you're thoroughly average.  Idk, to each's own.

To be fair, that QB logic is pretty flawed.  Its like expecting to find success betting big CFB underdogs cause Liberty beat Baylor this year.  If you look at the Pro Bowl QBs from the last 4-5 years.  Only a couple were drafted outside of the first round and first 5-7 picks of the second.  Prescott, Russell Wilson, Cousins, and Romo.  Granted, there aren't "sure things" in the first 10-12 picks, but your odds are a LOT better than taking later round fliers.  When it comes to playing young guys, I'm shocked how fast they bailed on Hackenberg.  Granted he never looked great, but thats a second round pick who hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, thats nuts.

If you think Bowles is the guy and you're fine waiting for awhile, more power to you.  I just find rooting for a middling team without a clear strategy to be frustrating, as has been the Bears for awhile up till this year.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: November 03, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
From a Jets fan, thats good to hear, cause the few Jets fans I know aren't super thrilled.  Not losing every game, but when you're expecting to be pretty good like last year and disappoint.  You go into this year ready to tank and rebuild and you're thoroughly average.  Idk, to each's own.

To be fair, that QB logic is pretty flawed.  Its like expecting to find success betting big CFB underdogs cause Liberty beat Baylor this year.  If you look at the Pro Bowl QBs from the last 4-5 years.  Only a couple were drafted outside of the first round and first 5-7 picks of the second.  Prescott, Russell Wilson, Cousins, and Romo.  Granted, there aren't "sure things" in the first 10-12 picks, but your odds are a LOT better than taking later round fliers.  When it comes to playing young guys, I'm shocked how fast they bailed on Hackenberg.  Granted he never looked great, but thats a second round pick who hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, thats nuts.

If you think Bowles is the guy and you're fine waiting for awhile, more power to you.  I just find rooting for a middling team without a clear strategy to be frustrating, as has been the Bears for awhile up till this year.

Don't disagree that they're middling, and didn't mean to indicate that the Jets should wait until mid-rounds to address QB situation.  Only that tanking for #1 to get Darnold could disappoint.  The jets will likely only win two more games (check their schedule) which will likely mean a top ten pick still.  Could always trade up if they identify "their" guy.  And yes, Hackenberg is a bust. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1158 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14:13 PM »
  ya gotta respect the man vin scully and his observations re: NFL.  i'll bet he's not buying papa johns either ;)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/11/05/vin-scully-i-never-watch-another-nfl-game/833765001/

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: November 05, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »
  ya gotta respect the man vin scully and his observations re: NFL.  i'll bet he's not buying papa johns either ;)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/11/05/vin-scully-i-never-watch-another-nfl-game/833765001/

I do not respect his opinions regarding the NFL.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1160 on: November 05, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »

He was a former NFL announcer for years, dear friend of Jackie Robinson and family.  He knows more about athletes than 99.9% of America, including the battles of race.  His opinion matters as much as yours.  What is bad for the NFL is if Vin Skully is saying this, not good.  Watching all those in the crowd cheer his response in very liberal California, also not good for the NFL.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: November 05, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »
Godell should bee strung up bye his curly ques. Fooked dis up, major, from da get go, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: November 05, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
He was a former NFL announcer for years, dear friend of Jackie Robinson and family.  He knows more about athletes than 99.9% of America, including the battles of race.  His opinion matters as much as yours.  What is bad for the NFL is if Vin Skully is saying this, not good.  Watching all those in the crowd cheer his response in very liberal California, also not good for the NFL.

I don't really care about his background.  I do not respect his opinion.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1163 on: November 05, 2017, 06:20:15 PM »
whatever dallas coaches said at halftime after hills run for remarkable TD-must have worked, enn'a?

basically shut the chiefs down

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1164 on: November 05, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »

just not that one, eyn'er?  backgrounds should matter for something.  for example-i respect the hell of john mccains background but hate his politics

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: November 05, 2017, 06:25:19 PM »
just not that one, eyn'er?  backgrounds should matter for something.  for example-i respect the hell of john mccains background but hate his politics

I don't care what his background is.  I don't respect his opinion on this matter.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1166 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »

I don't care what his background is.  I don't respect his opinion on this matter.

That’s fair and you are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that...HOWEVER, the point here is vin scully is verifying the real affects and effects of the problems the NFL is trying to navigate right now, albeit, unsuccessfully so far.  He is a well respected microcosm of probably more than 50% of the NFL fans.  He is basically saying what “the other side” is trying so hard to deny, often times described otherwise as the pink elephant in the room or as how Austin powers tried so valiantly to deny, “that’s not mine” even upon revelation of the book in his possession “Swedish made ***** enlarger pumps and me”  ;D ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: November 05, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »
Godell should bee strung up bye his curly ques. Fooked dis up, major, from da get go, hey?

This wasn't an issue until the Commander in Tweet couldn't help himself and got out of his lane.  Then staged a publicity stunt that cost hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars out of sheer pettiness.  He's a POS that is the real issue here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: November 05, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
That’s fair and you are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that...HOWEVER, the point here is vin scully is verifying the real affects and effects of the problems the NFL is trying to navigate right now, albeit, unsuccessfully so far.  He is a well respected microcosm of probably more than 50% of the NFL fans.  He is basically saying what “the other side” is trying so hard to deny, often times described otherwise as the pink elephant in the room or as how Austin powers tried so valiantly to deny, “that’s not mine” even upon revelation of the book in his possession “Swedish made ***** enlarger pumps and me”  ;D ;)

What is the other side trying to deny?  The only think I am denying is that the protests are the sole, or even the largest reason for the dip in ratings.  I'm sure there are people who are refusing to watch the NFL because of the protests.  I really don't care.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: November 05, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
Watts dis protest ‘bout again anyway, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: November 05, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
The NFL is in a catch 22.  Do nothing about the protests and some people will continue to be upset.  Stop the protests and all they'll do is upset a different group of people.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: November 05, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »
This wasn't an issue until the Commander in Tweet couldn't help himself and got out of his lane.  Then staged a publicity stunt that cost hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars out of sheer pettiness.  He's a POS that is the real issue here.

This.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1172 on: November 05, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »

i guess it's just part of the game, enn'a enn'a? 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1173 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »

It used to be people in the spotlight trying to call attention to the issues of racism and police brutality in this country. Now it's become about the POTUS calling players SOBs, millionaire athletes disrespecting veterans and an owner's poor choice of idioms being misconstrued. In other words, it started off with an important message and has devolved into basically a big, controversial mess of nothing, which is very unfortunate.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: November 06, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »

Knot so fast, bro. Ya got rules in yo workplace? Great, wee all due. Now, if you don’t like dem rules, ya can ether knot take the job, quit, or intentionally disobey said rules. Ya got the freedom ta due whatever yo pee pickin’ heart desires. However, der are consequences four one’s actions. Kaperdick et al can wanna exorcise der America rights under the Constitution. Perfect baby, now deel wit the result of yo actions and stfu, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback