collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280419 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #750 on: October 03, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »

I take fantasy too seriously as well but quitting is just not going to happen.

After being in multiple leagues for almost a decade, I decided to take a year off from Fantasy Football...and 4 years later, I honestly haven't missed it one bit.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #751 on: October 03, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
Titans sign Brandon Weeden.  Ok then.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #752 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »
After being in multiple leagues for almost a decade, I decided to take a year off from Fantasy Football...and 4 years later, I honestly haven't missed it one bit.

Same! Couldn't miss it less if I tried. And I was in 4-5 simultaneously for years

🏀

• All American
« Reply #753 on: October 03, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
Fantasy football is the worst.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #754 on: October 03, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »

A major part of it is the connection with friends. For example, I'm in a league with Marquette friends, another with a different group of friends, etc. Plus I love drafting.

Plus it helps while the Bears are stuck in mediocrity.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #755 on: October 04, 2017, 05:13:56 AM »
A major part of it is the connection with friends. For example, I'm in a league with Marquette friends, another with a different group of friends, etc. Plus I love drafting.

Plus it helps while the Bears are stuck in mediocrity.

So you will never give it up?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #756 on: October 04, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »
Elon University just released its latest NC poll, including questions about the anthem situation.

https://www.elon.edu/e/CmsFile/GetFile?FileID=1137

First, remember that NC is considered a "purple" state, but Trump ended up winning more easily than expected here, and Republicans control the state government through the heavy gerrymandering they did after getting swept in during the anti-Obama revolt of 2010.

63% disagreed with Trump that players who don't stand for the anthem should be "fired." 30% agreed.

Not surprisingly, there were distinct differences of opinion on the NFL question, based on the race, age, gender and location of the voters. People who are younger, female, black or from urban areas are more likely to disagree with Trump’s stance. Those who are older, male, white and from rural areas more likely sided with the president.

Said Jason Husser of Elon: “While a majority of North Carolina voters disagree with the president that NFL players who protest should be fired, white voters were twenty times more likely than African American voters to agree with (the) president and Republicans were almost three times more likely to agree than were Democrats.”

A couple other interesting issues:

59% said Confederate monuments should stay where they are and not be removed. 29% said take 'em down. I wasn't surprised the "let 'em stay" faction was in the majority, but I was surprised it was so decisive. 88% of Republicans believe the monuments should remain in place, compared to 36% of Democrats. 69% of whites said keep 'em, compared with 26% of blacks saying that. Surprised that many blacks were not against the monuments.

58% of voters disapprove of how Trump is conducting his job. Trump has only a 34% approval rating in NC. 34% is also his approval rating here among Independents. Only 5% of blacks approve of how he's done, and in a small surprise, slighty more NC white voters polled disapprove (46%) than approve (44%).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #757 on: October 04, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
Elon University just released its latest NC poll, including questions about the anthem situation.

First, remember that NC is considered a "purple" state, but Trump ended up winning more easily than expected here, and Republicans control the state government through the heavy gerrymandering they did after getting swept in during the anti-Obama revolt of 2010.

63% disagreed with Trump that players who don't stand for the anthem should be "fired." 30% agreed.

Not surprisingly, there were distinct differences of opinion on the NFL question, based on the race, age, gender and location of the voters. People who are younger, female, black or from urban areas are more likely to disagree with Trump’s stance. Those who are older, male, white and from rural areas more likely sided with the president.

Said Jason Husser of Elon: “While a majority of North Carolina voters disagree with the president that NFL players who protest should be fired, white voters were twenty times more likely than African American voters to agree with (the) president and Republicans were almost three times more likely to agree than were Democrats.”

59% said Confederate monuments should stay where they are and not be removed. 29% said take 'em down. I wasn't surprised the "let 'em stay" faction was in the majority, but I was surprised it was so decisive. 88% of Republicans believe the monuments should remain in place, compared to 36% of Democrats. 69% of whites said keep 'em, compared with 26% of blacks saying that. Surprised that many blacks were not against the monuments.

58% of voters disapprove of how Trump is conducting his job. Trump has only a 34% approval rating in NC. 34% is also his approval rating here among Independents. Only 5% of blacks approve of how he's done, and in a small surprise, slighty more NC white voters polled disapprove (46%) than approve (44%).

That is the most nfl crap I have ever read.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #758 on: October 05, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »

What does your purple state say about Cam Newton right now after yesterday's remarks?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #759 on: October 05, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
Cam Newton disrespected and mocked a female sports reporter yesterday. It has been all over ESPN and elsewhere, so y'all probably already heard about it.

The latest is that he already has lost one endorsement because of it:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article177186726.html?#emlnl=Afternoon_Newsletter&id=bWlrZW5hZGVsQHNiY2dsb2JhbC5uZXQ=

I have been a big Cam fan, and have defended him many times against various charges. I have personally witnessed racist remarks and innuendo directed toward him, and it made me sick. I challenged a couple of the worst ones and almost got in a fight over one. (I've still never been in a fight, thankfully; I really dislike pain.)

I often urged his detractors to look at the big picture: He does a lot of charitable work, he's great with kids, he has a great work ethic, etc - in addition to being a darn good QB, one capable of winning MVP and leading his team to the SB.

However, there is no way to defend this. It was juvenile, wrong-headed and, of course, sexist.

What if Newton had attended a financial conference with 30 other pro athletes and, during the Q&A session, he asked one of the experts on the panel: "I am interested a little in I-Bonds for safety, but won't I get a lot more growth if I stay primarily with equities?"

And as Newton mentioned "I-Bonds," the panelist started to grin. Not a friendly grin, but a smug, condescending smirk. And when Cam finished the question, the expert, smiling broadly, responded:

"It's funny to hear a black guy talk about I-Bonds."

It would have been pandemonium.

Well, sub in "female" for "black guy" and "routes" for "I-Bonds," and Newton said the exact same thing. Pretty disgraceful.

Not that it really should matter, but this reporter has done an outstanding job in her year or so on the beat. I am not an "easy grader" when it comes to these things, either. She is only 25, and she is going to be very good.

She's a good reporter who asked a good question. And Cam acted like a sexist jerk.

I'm a Panthers fan, so I'll keep rooting for the team. I'll keep rooting for Cam as a player, too. And I still won't tolerate racial taunts directed at him or anybody else. But I won't be so quick to defend him for his moody behavior, occasional selfishness, etc.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #760 on: October 05, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »
It's a big mistake 82 and was totally uncalled for.  If it is a true glimpse into Cam's soul then he clearly has some growing to do.

I'll give him a chance to issue a heartfelt apology, both publicly and privately.  Look, I cringe at some of the things that folks say publicly.  But I'm not 100% sure I could do everything perfectly in front of a microphone.  Again, as Coach McCarthy said, 'Let's listen better.'

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #761 on: October 05, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »
It's a big mistake 82 and was totally uncalled for.  If it is a true glimpse into Cam's soul then he clearly has some growing to do.

I'll give him a chance to issue a heartfelt apology, both publicly and privately.  Look, I cringe at some of the things that folks say publicly.  But I'm not 100% sure I could do everything perfectly in front of a microphone.  Again, as Coach McCarthy said, 'Let's listen better.'

The problem is that, apparently, he had a chance to issue a heartfelt apology privately when she approached him off the record and asked him to clarify his comments and, from what others say, he made it even worse.

But hey, when things are going well he'll dab it up, dance around, give his charming smile...and then sit and sulk before walking away from his media responsibilities the moment it turns south.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #762 on: October 05, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
The problem is that, apparently, he had a chance to issue a heartfelt apology privately when she approached him off the record and asked him to clarify his comments and, from what others say, he made it even worse.

But hey, when things are going well he'll dab it up, dance around, give his charming smile...and then sit and sulk before walking away from his media responsibilities the moment it turns south.

Okay, well that ain't good.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #763 on: October 05, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »
I am not a Cam fan in any way - he is one of my least favorite athlete's.

But let's face it, this wasn't an attack. He was just shocked over a women talking about running physical routes. He then went on to fully answer her questions although none of the reporting mentions that. He was insensitive and sexist and should be called out for it.

However, tweets from the reporter from a few years ago went far beyond anything Cam said. Completely racist - "The earth moves at 450+ mph that's 10 times triller than NASCAR Dale Earnhart's a "n***a".

Other tweets joked about making racist jokes about indians. Speaking of heer father: "He's the best. Racist jokes all the way home."

If we are going to attack Cam for sexism, shouldn't we be attacking the reporter over much worse?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:35:45 PM by Jockey »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #764 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
I am not a Cam fan in any way - he is one of my least favorite athlete's.

But let's face it, this wasn't an attack. He was just shocked over a women talking about running physical routes. He then went on to fully answer her questions although none of the reporting mentions that. He was insensitive and sexist and should be called out for it.

However, tweets from the reporter from a few years ago went far beyond anything Cam said. Completely racist - "The earth moves at 450+ mph that's 10 times triller than NASCAR Dale Earnhart's a "n***a".

Other tweets joked about making racist jokes about indians. Speaking of heer father: "He's the best. Racist jokes all the way home."

If we are going to attack Cam for sexism, shouldn't we be attacking the reporter over much worse?

I'm not sure why they need be conflated.
They're both examples of bad behavior in their own right.

That said, why is racism "much worse" than sexism?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:11:18 PM by Pakuni »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #765 on: October 05, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »

That said, why is racism "far worse" than sexism?

You're right that one is not worse than the other - in the big picture. But on a case to case basis, either one could be worse.

Here, Cam's remark made fun of the concept that women could understand the nuances of football. Just a dumb, sexist statement, even though he went on to answer her question.

The reporter's tweets, however, illustrated her enjoyment over the denigration of an entire race of people and her active participation in it.

I don't think the two are equal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #766 on: October 05, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »

That said, why is racism "much worse" than sexism?

+1. I guess my first reaction when I hear derogatory comments is, “Well that’s sad/stupid/sick” and not, “I wonder what kind of dirt I can dig up on the target of those derogatory comments and see how much he or she deserved them directed at her!”

$Cam has a history of this. Let’s not forget he told a group of grade school age kids something to the effect of girls should “stay silent.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #767 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
+1. I guess my first reaction when I hear derogatory comments is, “Well that’s sad/stupid/sick” and not, “I wonder what kind of dirt I can dig up on the target of those derogatory comments and see how much he or she deserved them directed at her!”

$Cam has a history of this. Let’s not forget he told a group of grade school age kids something to the effect of girls should “stay silent.”

That was Jameis Winston.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #768 on: October 05, 2017, 08:51:53 PM »
That was Jameis Winston.

Are you sure?

I coulda swore it was either Randall Cunningham or Doug Williams.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #769 on: October 05, 2017, 09:10:08 PM »
Are you sure?

I coulda swore it was either Randall Cunningham or Doug Williams.

;) I see what you did there.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #770 on: October 05, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »
Tampa Bay is to Kickers, like the Bears are to QBs...they can't find one that is competent. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #771 on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:19 PM »
You're right that one is not worse than the other - in the big picture. But on a case to case basis, either one could be worse.

Here, Cam's remark made fun of the concept that women could understand the nuances of football. Just a dumb, sexist statement, even though he went on to answer her question.

The reporter's tweets, however, illustrated her enjoyment over the denigration of an entire race of people and her active participation in it.

This has become such a weird story.

First, the Observer DID report that Cam answered the question after his sexist remarks. So? That in no way changes anything.

Second, what Cam supposedly said to the reporter was that he shouldn't have said it was funny to hear a female talk about routes but that it was funny to hear any reporter talk about routes - because, ya know, all reporters are stupid. Using my example from earlier about Cam at the financial conference, that would have been the equivalent of the panelist saying: "Maybe I shouldn't have said it was funny to hear a black guy talk about I-Bonds but rather it was funny to hear any dumb jock talk about them." In other words, not close to an apology or taking responsibility.

Third, Cam did finally apologize in a video released by the team. It was the classic "If you were offended, I apologize" semi-apology. The kind you do out of desperation after losing one endorsement and having Gatorade put you on double-secret probation.

Fourth, and then it comes out that 4 years ago, the reporter made some comments/tweets with racial overtones. If one wants to call them "racist," I wouldn't argue.

While I'm not really keeping score about which was "worse," here is what comes to my mind ...

The reporter was 21 when she sent those tweets. That's not an "excuse," just a fact. Many of us did many stupid things when we were only 21. Fortunately for many of us, social media wasn't around to record everything or to tempt us into being publicly stupid. The most powerful person in the free world is a little older than 21 and he can't help himself; he sends a dozen tweets (or more) per week that are stupid, false, racist, sexist, etc. Again, not an "excuse" for the reporter.

Cam, on the other hand, is a grown man with a public platform. He is fairly media savvy - or at least I used to think he was. He was asked a perfectly good question and his first thought was to make a sexist comment. That's not good. As glow said, he's got some growing up to do ... and he's 28.

In the end, neither of them had a glorious 24 hours. But as wades said, just because the reporter did/said something stupid years earlier, it doesn't make Cam's comments any more acceptable.

If I were going to use this as a teaching moment for my kids, I'd say: "Just don't tweet or retweet (or Facebook or Instagram or snap or whatever else) anything that could come back to bite you on the arse someday. Because it probably will!"

I know that I'm glad as hell nobody can come back at me with stupid shyte I said or did when I was 15 or 18 or 21 or 24. It's bad enough folks can come back at me with all the stupid shyte I said last week!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #772 on: October 05, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »
That was Jameis Winston.

Oops.  Thought it was $cam.  My mistake.  Doesn't change the point that my reaction to someone's derogatory comments typically isn't, "What dirt can I find on the target to make sure the dirt isn't somehow 'deserved?'"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #773 on: October 06, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »

I think you're assuming some facts not in evidence about the reporter's intents and participation.
And I'm not going to get on my high horse about someone who laughs at racial or ethnic humor, because I'm fairly certain we all have in one form or another at one time or another. She's an utter idiot for putting it out there for all to see, but tweeting that her dad told a funny racist joke (the content of which we don't know) doesn't put her in the same category as those who marched in Charlottesville.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:12:37 AM by Pakuni »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #774 on: October 06, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »
I'm disappointed in Cam because it was an offensive, demeaning initial response to a good question. He had a chance to apologize right away but instead just stated that he regretted his actions and mildly insulted Rodrigue's football acumen.

It's even more disappointing when you consider that it really wasn't that long ago that many coaches would have looked at Cam and made him into a TE and it would have had nothing to do with his ability to play QB. Just because a person doesn't "look the part," that doesn't mean that he/she isn't qualified.

Finally, as someone who used to run passing routes in the backyard with his mom throwing to him, I'll be first in line telling people that many women out there know a lot about sports!