collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280421 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #675 on: September 30, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
These players also have the right to do what they are doing, but I disagree with their venue and approach.

People also disagreed with the women's suffragists venue and approach, to the point they were arrested for protesting at the White House. Later, many disagreed with the venue and approach Martin Luther King, Jr took. That led to him being arrested as well.

The real problem is that people have to protest for equality in America in the first place. The Civil Rights movement was decades ago, but we're still not close to equality. Universal suffrage was granted decades ago, yet our government is hard at work disenfranchising voters.

I wish everyone would stand, but they should stand not out of blind obligation but because this country has truly done everything in its power to create equality for all citizens. The problem is not and never has been the venue or approach, it's that they even have to choose a venue or approach in the first place.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #676 on: September 30, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
People also disagreed with the women's suffragists venue and approach, to the point they were arrested for protesting at the White House. Later, many disagreed with the venue and approach Martin Luther King, Jr took. That led to him being arrested as well.

The real problem is that people have to protest for equality in America in the first place. The Civil Rights movement was decades ago, but we're still not close to equality. Universal suffrage was granted decades ago, yet our government is hard at work disenfranchising voters.

I wish everyone would stand, but they should stand not out of blind obligation but because this country has truly done everything in its power to create equality for all citizens. The problem is not and never has been the venue or approach, it's that they even have to choose a venue or approach in the first place.

The problem is in part how one chooses the approach. To deny this is out of touch with reality.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #677 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
The problem is in part how one chooses the approach. To deny this is out of touch with reality.

In this case it doesn't matter how they would protest...the same people that are mad now, would be just as mad if they had used different approaches or venues.

You would still have people boycotting these NFL players, and if other NFL players defended them, boycotting the entire NFL. 

The fact that you do not understand this shows how out of touch with reality you are.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #678 on: September 30, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
In this case it doesn't matter how they would protest...the same people that are mad now, would be just as mad if they had used different approaches or venues.

You would still have people boycotting these NFL players, and if other NFL players defended them, boycotting the entire NFL. 

The fact that you do not understand this shows how out of touch with reality you are.

Case in point...Stevie Wonder took a knee at a music festival, not during the National Anthem, and said a prayer during the process, and here is a summary of some of the reaction.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/nujtiv/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-when-is-the-right-time-for-black-people-to-protest-?xrs=synd_twitter_092617_tds_80

Face it, there is a large number of (mostly white) people who don't like when black people complain.

I said it before, but if these were white players taking a knee in honor of fallen soldiers during the National Anthem, there wouldn't be much outcry.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #679 on: September 30, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »

Case in point...Stevie Wonder took a knee at a music festival, not during the National Anthem, and said a prayer during the process, and here is a summary of some of the reaction.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/nujtiv/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-when-is-the-right-time-for-black-people-to-protest-?xrs=synd_twitter_092617_tds_80

Face it, there is a large number of (mostly white) people who don't like when black people complain.

I said it before, but if these were white players taking a knee in honor of fallen soldiers during the National Anthem, there wouldn't be much outcry.

Black players should be "grateful" for the opportunity to play in the NFL. I have never heard that about Rodgers or Brady or Manning or Elway - they worked to get to where they are at.

"Grateful" is just the new "uppity".

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #680 on: September 30, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
I was raised to honor the flag and country, same for a moment of silence.  The right thing to do, good citizenship and a touch of class.  I was also raised to with the idea people can freely protest their gov't or any cause they wish, but there is a time and place. For example, I don't support the Westboro baptists efforts. It's obscene, but they technically have the right to do what they are doing.  These players also have the right to do what they are doing, but I disagree with their venue and approach. 

When you're watching the game at home, do you stand for the playing of our National Anthem?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #681 on: September 30, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
Two missed paychecks for Danny Trevathan.  About right I'd say.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #682 on: September 30, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
Two missed paychecks for Danny Trevathan.  About right I'd say.

He'll likely appeal and get it reduced to 1.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #683 on: September 30, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
He'll likely appeal and get it reduced to 1.

if the NFL wants to appear to want to reduce the number of concussions, they need to stand their ground.  the penalty should have been more along the lines of burfict/cincinnati preseason against kansas city where he got 5 reduced to 3.  if they reduce this, the trial attorneys will just add this to their notes-exhibit #2481...next
don't...don't don't don't don't

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #684 on: September 30, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
Black players should be "grateful" for the opportunity to play in the NFL. I have never heard that about Rodgers or Brady or Manning or Elway - they worked to get to where they are at.

Grateful is a dog whistle designed to suggest that their ability to make the living they do is due to the generosity of (predominantly) white millionaires rather than their natural talents.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #685 on: September 30, 2017, 08:29:30 PM »
  "Face it, there is a large number of (mostly white) people who don't like when black people complain.

I said it before, but if these were white players taking a knee in honor of fallen soldiers during the National Anthem, there wouldn't be much outcry."

WOW!  if i would have said this, well, we all know, but this never would have crossed my mind.  who thinks like this?  oh, and did i say WOW?   
don't...don't don't don't don't

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #686 on: September 30, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »

So it is a mere coincidence that ticket sales are plummeting, ratings are down when last year it was supposedly just the election and would rebound this year, and people canceling NFL related subscriptions on Sirius, Direct TV, Game Pass?  Those are all happening now. 

Polls show people support the right of players to protest, but they also show they should stand for the national anthem and show respect.  This is the mistake players made.  Our President made a huge mistake by using stupid language and saying players should be fired.

I'm pretty sure my view on reality is exactly what is happening.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #687 on: September 30, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
Chicos, what’s the atmosphere over on the IU board like? Happy with who they ended up getting to replace Tommy? Have you created more usernames over there or on Scoop?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #688 on: September 30, 2017, 08:46:10 PM »
  "Face it, there is a large number of (mostly white) people who don't like when black people complain.

I said it before, but if these were white players taking a knee in honor of fallen soldiers during the National Anthem, there wouldn't be much outcry."

WOW!  if i would have said this, well, we all know, but this never would have crossed my mind.  who thinks like this?  oh, and did i say WOW?   

If you would have said this, you would have been accurate.  It never crossed your mind because you aren't paying attention.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #689 on: September 30, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »
So it is a mere coincidence that ticket sales are plummeting, ratings are down when last year it was supposedly just the election and would rebound this year, and people canceling NFL related subscriptions on Sirius, Direct TV, Game Pass?  Those are all happening now. 

Polls show people support the right of players to protest, but they also show they should stand for the national anthem and show respect.  This is the mistake players made.  Our President made a huge mistake by using stupid language and saying players should be fired.

Ummm...yeah, what you post here has very little to do with what we were discussing.  I pointed out that the people angry about this would be angry regardless of "how they approach" the protesting.  The fact that people are angry about it was never part of the debate. 

Saying that polls show they support the right to protest, doesn't hold water with actual events.  The argument is always that they support the right to protest, but just not in that way.  It doesn't matter if it is a peaceful march, signs, or kneeling.  People are always still attacking them. 

Try to stay on topic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #690 on: September 30, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
Chicos, what’s the atmosphere over on the IU board like? Happy with who they ended up getting to replace Tommy? Have you created more usernames over there or on Scoop?

NM
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #691 on: September 30, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »

I'm sure you're right.  When people don't like the message, they always say "you can protest as long as I don't have to see it."  That's why the most successful protests are in crowded areas, at political conventions...and just before the start of football games.  They know they'll have an audience.

And this is a successful protest because it has people talking about the race issue.  It has a cost, sure, but there is often a cost.  MLK and many others paid with their lives - in this case, the NFL owners and perhaps ultimately the players are paying in terms of attendance, possible endorsement deals, and perhaps other things.  Kudos to them for recognizing that the issue is bigger than dollars and cents.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #692 on: October 01, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »
Welcome to Miami Jay Cutler!  :o

tower912

• All American
« Reply #693 on: October 01, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
If protests don't foment discord and spark conversations, they aren't doing it right.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #694 on: October 01, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »

All of those guys worked hard to get there.  Black, white, poor, rich.  And yes, they all should be grateful they live in a wonderful country that allows them to make money 99% of Americans would dream of for playing a game.  What a country. 

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #695 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
Ummm...yeah, what you post here has very little to do with what we were discussing.  I pointed out that the people angry about this would be angry regardless of "how they approach" the protesting.  The fact that people are angry about it was never part of the debate. 

Saying that polls show they support the right to protest, doesn't hold water with actual events.  The argument is always that they support the right to protest, but just not in that way.  It doesn't matter if it is a peaceful march, signs, or kneeling.  People are always still attacking them. 

Try to stay on topic.

In my opinion, you are missing what I am saying.  I disagree with your assessment.  They are protesting because of these particular actions, that is why I mentioned what is happening now.  Some players were taking knees last year, and some fans protested, but not at all at the level they are now.  In my mind you are making the error that people would be upset anyway at whatever protests they made.  That, in my opinion, is ignoring the reality of what is happening currently and multiplier currently involved.  Of course there will always be some people upset, but do you really believe we haven't seen an escalation in the last few weeks?  That is staying on topic.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #696 on: October 01, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »
In my opinion, you are missing what I am saying.  I disagree with your assessment.  They are protesting because of these particular actions, that is why I mentioned what is happening now.  Some players were taking knees last year, and some fans protested, but not at all at the level they are now.  In my mind you are making the error that people would be upset anyway at whatever protests they made.  That, in my opinion, is ignoring the reality of what is happening currently and multiplier currently involved.  Of course there will always be some people upset, but do you really believe we haven't seen an escalation in the last few weeks?  That is staying on topic.

Yes, we have had an escalation.  Why, because some idiot decided to make it as political as possible and broadcast to the entire US that those "son's of bitches should be fired". 

That is the difference that escalated this.  Not the protestors, not the message.

History is definitive on it not mattering the method of protest on these issues, just the fact that they are protesting. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #697 on: October 01, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
All of those guys worked hard to get there.  Black, white, poor, rich.  And yes, they all should be grateful they live in a wonderful country that allows them to make money 99% of Americans would dream of for playing a game.  What a country.

You ignorant, little, over-medicated creep.

Don't try to distort what I said. White players are never TOLD to be grateful - just minorities. And, there are dozens of wonderful countries that "allow" their citizens to make huge money playing sports.

I have stood and saluted for the flag and anthem my entire life. I will no longer be doing so until the racist pig is out of office. He will not be allowed to co-opt this issue in my life.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #698 on: October 01, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »

How about the fact that my colleague, cannot go shopping at his local mall without being asked what she is doing there...simply because of the color of her skin and that she lives in a wealthy area of the city (where their kind is not suppose to be).

That sometimes she (or her friends visiting her house) will be stopped by the police for no reason and have their car searched...simply with the question of "what are you doing in this neighborhood?"

That happens day in and day out for her.  What a country.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #699 on: October 01, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
Back to football.

Same Old Jay, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback