[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280467 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #625 on: September 29, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »
There are Tweets from national football writers all over the place that say the referees should face punishment for not ejecting him, he will be suspended multiple games, and some even going so far as to say it's as dirty of a hit as you'll see in football.

This wasn't a hard one to avoid Davante's head.  Davante is stacked and wrapped up, going nowhere, that's as slowly moving of a target as any NFL player will ever see, and he not only comes flying in full speed but launches himself into Davante's facemask with the crown of his helmet.  In those situations you see defenders run in and try to rip the ball out of an offensive player's arm.  I can't think of another time I've seen a defender run in full speed and launch himself into that player with his helmet down.  I'm guessing Danny's bank account will be taking a hit and he won't be seen on the field in 10 days, and rightfully so.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:17:30 AM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #626 on: September 29, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
Maybe I just don't understand tackling or high level football... But my problem was the part where he lead with the top of his helmet

I actually think that this is the issue that gets overlooked by the league. There's so much focus on WHERE the offensive player gets hit but it should actually matter more HOW the defender hits him. When a player comes flying in with his head down, THAT should be a penalty whether he hits the player in the head, chest, back, etc. That's a play that happens all the time in NFL games but never gets called unless it results in helmet to helmet contact. If you can get players' heads up when tackling, it'll do more for player safety than throwing flags on inadvertent hits to the head.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #627 on: September 29, 2017, 08:28:58 AM »
Maybe I just don't understand tackling or high level football... But my problem was the part where he lead with the top of his helmet

Watched this about 20 times now, 4 guys gathered around at work, one GB fan and 3 guys who didn't care enough to watch the game .. the vote was 3-1 that the hit was unfortunate but not particularly dirty. 

The receiver and defender were going down, Trevanthan needed to adjust even lower but didn't have time and the helmets connected.  Oops.  At 1/10th speed, you do something different.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #628 on: September 29, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Matthews does something dirtier every other week.

It's football. He wasn't a defenseless receiver. He was a runner. That's not a penalty. The flag wasn't even thrown until they saw he was hurt.

That, in fact, was one of the worst cheap shots I've ever seen.  There was zero reason to launch with the helmet from 5 yards away when all of his forward progress was stopped, he was stymied in an upright position by two defenders, and the whistle probably should have already blown.

Everyone gets it.  Football is a violent game.  Sometimes things happen like Clinton-Dix's late hit.  But that damn thing was intentional.  It was simply a player who had gotten frustrated for reasons I won't speculate about and took it out on a defenseless opponent.

And to make matters worse, he doubled down justifying his actions afterward.  If it were up to me, that would have been his last play of the season.  Let's hope the commissioner has some real balls on something important.  Because he could have ended a guy's career with that single intentional hit.  Thank God that the early reports are positive and that Adams was giving the docs and nurses a hard time wanting to go home from the hospital last night.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #629 on: September 29, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »
Bears fan.

Bad/stupid hit.  No argument there.

My biggest issue with it was that Danny continued to run his mouth after the play.  Adams is obviously unconscious on the field have a little bit of awareness of the situation.

But c'mon, no way he is suspended for the balance of the season.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #630 on: September 29, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
It happens 20 times a game. Usually players don't connect like that. Watch it in real time. It looks less intentionally vicious. If he hits him 6" lower, he causes a fumble and gets praised.

For the record, I fully expect that Trevathan will be suspended but I disagree with the call, in large part because it was so late and wasn't going to be called if he gets up.
Christ you are such a homer.  Take the two teams that were playing out of it and look at it objectively. Let’s say it was a Cleveland linebacker making that same hit on a Bengal player. You would say it was one of the dirtiest intentional hits you have ever seen. He speared with the crown of his helmet, its illegal. You can’t say what if he hit 6 inches lower because he didn’t.  If this were Matthews making this same hit on Jordan Howard you would be outraged.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #631 on: September 29, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
Glennon's money is irrelevant in that the QB market gets reset every year, and teams seemingly always pay it. Long term is what matters, and he's essentially on a 1 year deeal.

Glennon just isn't a starting NFL QB, it's painfully obvious. I don't care if they go to Sanchez, but Glennon can't start.

I still insist at some point, you have to find some reps for Trubisky though. Why wait until minicamp for new WR's before taking the training wheels off? I don't remember the exact stat here, but I believe Trubisky had taken the fewest number of collegiate snaps of any top 5 QB ever taken (?). Why couldn't they put him in the end of last night's blowout on the final drive?

I've said from the beginning that if the Bears don't think Trubisky is ready then they shouldn't put him in the game. I'm on-board with that thinking. Don't play him just for the sake of playing him. However, if that is the case, Sanchez should be the #2. The Bears could have put Sanchez in for mop-up duty last night and let him dink and dunk down the field against a prevent defense and, unless he was a Glennon-style disaster, they could then make a case for starting him next week (again, assuming they don't think Trubisky is ready). Instead, they've painted themselves into a corner. Glennon's been awful (8 TOs in the last 3 games) and it's hard to imagine sending him back out there without a big risk of losing the faith of the players but they don't seem to want to go to Trubisky.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #632 on: September 29, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
I've said from the beginning that if the Bears don't think Trubisky is ready then they shouldn't put him in the game. I'm on-board with that thinking. Don't play him just for the sake of playing him. However, if that is the case, Sanchez should be the #2. The Bears could have put Sanchez in for mop-up duty last night and let him dink and dunk down the field against a prevent defense and, unless he was a Glennon-style disaster, they could then make a case for starting him next week (again, assuming they don't think Trubisky is ready). Instead, they've painted themselves into a corner. Glennon's been awful (8 TOs in the last 3 games) and it's hard to imagine sending him back out there without a big risk of losing the faith of the players but they don't seem to want to go to Trubisky.

Is Fox trying to prove a point by trotting Glennon out there, a guy he didn't want in the first place?

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #633 on: September 29, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »
A co-worker suggested the NFL should suspend a player for a hit like that for the same amount of time Adams misses due to any injury.

Thoughts? Personally I don't like it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #634 on: September 29, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
Bears fan.

Bad/stupid hit.  No argument there.

My biggest issue with it was that Danny continued to run his mouth after the play.  Adams is obviously unconscious on the field have a little bit of awareness of the situation.

But c'mon, no way he is suspended for the balance of the season.

Yep.  And that's exactly what ARodg was most upset about.  Look, it was a split second decision and brain cramp.  I'm convinced that in that split second it was 100% intentional and for that he should be severely punished by the league.  But had he manned up and admitted that he made a terrible, terrible mistake, I think we could all move on.

I will add that Danny has already reached out to his college teammate Randall Cobb and does not have a dirty reputation.  But obviously he can take several more proactive steps to demonstrate his contrition and concern for the well being of Adams, both publicly and privately.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:53:14 AM by jsglow »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #635 on: September 29, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
If the Bears think this is a lost season, why trot your future franchise QB out there to possibly get injured or embarrassed? Even if Trubisky is the real deal, he doesn't have much to throw to this season. Keep him on the bench, give him a year to learn the system, keep him healthy, take the high draft pick and get him another weapon to throw to next season. That's what I would want if I was a Bears fan.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #636 on: September 29, 2017, 08:48:17 AM »
A co-worker suggested the NFL should suspend a player for a hit like that for the same amount of time Adams misses due to any injury.

You can't set that precedent. What if it's a situation where a star player injures a fourth-stringer? The team puts the scrub on IR with a minor injury and the star sits for the rest of the season.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #637 on: September 29, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »

Bad idea.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #638 on: September 29, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
I was on a cross country flight and missed the game live. I'm done with the Glennon era, something isn't clicking either with him or the system.

Thought the Trevathan hit was absolutely awful, really hope Adams is ok.

I don't know how the Pack survive the year with all these injuries.

Most of the injuries are not season ending. They will probably get both Tackles and Daniels back for next game. I would rather sustain the injuries now and fight through it rather than have them later. To me Bakhtiari is the most concerning, he is arguably the second most important player.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #639 on: September 29, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
If the Bears think this is a lost season, why trot your future franchise QB out there to possibly get injured or embarrassed? Even if Trubisky is the real deal, he doesn't have much to throw to this season. Keep him on the bench, give him a year to learn the system, keep him healthy, take the high draft pick and get him another weapon to throw to next season. That's what I would want if I was a Bears fan.

Absolutely not. You can't handle him with kid gloves like that.

Even with the lack of weapons, the game time and playing against #1 defenses will help his development.

I'm sure the kid knows the system inside and out already and I don't think confidence will be an issue for him if he struggles, which he likely will.

If he's not starting next week he absolutely needs to be in there after the bye.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #640 on: September 29, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
Most of the injuries are not season ending. They will probably get both Tackles and Daniels back for next game. I would rather sustain the injuries now and fight through it rather than have them later. To me Bakhtiari is the most concerning, he is arguably the second most important player.

Props to Lane Taylor.  Helluva game.  And how 'bout Sitton getting caught with his potty mouth?  Kinda funny actually.

Again, I too was skeptical of Ted's move last year but you know what?  Taylor's a damn good ballplayer and the O-line is still priced the way it should be on a potential championship team.  Ted knew what he was doing.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #641 on: September 29, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
The pure dirtiest hit I've ever seen was Martin on McMahon. Not because it's Bears/Packers, but that hit was so far away from the play, and there was clearly intent by Martin to injure McMahon.

I agree that it bothered me a lot that Trevathan kept mouthing off after the play, the medical staff needed to tend to Adams immediately, and watching the teams push/shove/mouth off so close to Adams was dumb and reckless.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #642 on: September 29, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
Yep.  And that's exactly what ARodg was most upset about.  Look, it was a split second decision and brain cramp.  I'm convinced that in that split second it was 100% intentional and for that he should be severely punished by the league.  But had he manned up and admitted that he made a terrible, terrible mistake, I think we could all move on.

I will add that Danny has already reached out to his college teammate Randall Cobb and does not have a dirty reputation.  But obviously he can take several more proactive steps to demonstrate his contrition and concern for the well being of Adams, both publicly and privately.

The fact that he kept running his mouth after the fact is proof enough that it was intentional. If you knock out someone like that by accident, you aren't celebrating.  I agree with you, he made a split second decision and he doesn't have a dirty reputation. But I don't know how you look at that hit and say it wasn't intentional and illegal.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #643 on: September 29, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
Watched this about 20 times now, 4 guys gathered around at work, one GB fan and 3 guys who didn't care enough to watch the game .. the vote was 3-1 that the hit was unfortunate but not particularly dirty. 

The receiver and defender were going down, Trevanthan needed to adjust even lower but didn't have time and the helmets connected.  Oops.  At 1/10th speed, you do something different.

Watching the first replay or so, it looked,like he snapped his neck, then goes down like a hot rock...didn’t look very good.  Yeah, then Danny is shooting his mouth?  For what?  They down 28-7 or something at that time?  Brutal. If he would have at least shown some compassion.  Partly because of that I would give him more time out in order to send a message otherwise what prevents this from happening again?  Ya gotta protect the players somewhat here. Yes the replay magnifies it, but taking all the above into account necessitates a harsher penalty
don't...don't don't don't don't

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #644 on: September 29, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
The pure dirtiest hit I've ever seen was Martin on McMahon. Not because it's Bears/Packers, but that hit was so far away from the play, and there was clearly intent by Martin to injure McMahon.

I agree that it bothered me a lot that Trevathan kept mouthing off after the play, the medical staff needed to tend to Adams immediately, and watching the teams push/shove/mouth off so close to Adams was dumb and reckless.
Wasn't a hit, it was a body slam, but yes I agree. What would happen if a player had a towel with a hit list on it in todays NFL. Those Forrest Gregg Packer teams were an embarrassment. Gregg brought in those types of players and coached them to play like that. What a douche.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #645 on: September 29, 2017, 09:10:09 AM »
The fact that he kept running his mouth after the fact is proof enough that it was intentional. If you knock out someone like that by accident, you aren't celebrating.  I agree with you, he made a split second decision and he doesn't have a dirty reputation. But I don't know how you look at that hit and say it wasn't intentional and illegal.

The thing is...Trevathan didn't celebrate. He walked away from the play and a couple teammates came over and smacked him on the back for making a big hit. When Rodgers first came over, he was talking to rookie safety Eddie Jackson (#39) who had congratulated Trevathan. Some Bears also celebrated because they thought they had forced a TO. More players then got into it with Trevathan after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC9yYkgXX30
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:12:26 AM by MerrittsMustache »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #646 on: September 29, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »
I agree with Merritt's. I also think players get defensive and lash out.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #647 on: September 29, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
NFL should use its new rule to suspend Danny Trevathan
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/250591/nfl-should-use-its-new-rule-to-suspend-danny-trevathan

Thursday's dark episode is precisely what the NFL was trying to address with its offseason initiative. I would be stunned if Trevathan is eligible to play in the Bears' next game, scheduled for Oct. 9 against the Minnesota Vikings.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #648 on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
For people saying Trubisky should just sit the year, there's a greater point that is being missed here, and I present Adam Shaheen as an example. Where was he last night? Why wasn't he on the field?

It's fine if you're going to be bad, but you find opportunities to get these guys reps in garbage time. Both Shaheen and Trubisky need to find ways to get snaps. It's clear as day the disconnect between the coaching staff and the front office, which is the real problem here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #649 on: September 29, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
For people saying Trubisky should just sit the year, there's a greater point that is being missed here, and I present Adam Shaheen as an example. Where was he last night? Why wasn't he on the field?

It's fine if you're going to be bad, but you find opportunities to get these guys reps in garbage time. Both Shaheen and Trubisky need to find ways to get snaps. It's clear as day the disconnect between the coaching staff and the front office, which is the real problem here.

Yeah, you gotta start knowing what you have.  Putting them out there now makes the most sense.