[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280396 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #600 on: September 28, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »
You have a lack of understanding of the rules. They didn't call defenseless receiver. You can't launch yourself into someone with the crown of the helmet.

It happens 20 times a game. Usually players don't connect like that. Watch it in real time. It looks less intentionally vicious. If he hits him 6" lower, he causes a fumble and gets praised.

For the record, I fully expect that Trevathan will be suspended but I disagree with the call, in large part because it was so late and wasn't going to be called if he gets up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #601 on: September 28, 2017, 10:43:43 PM »
It happens 20 times a game. Usually players don't connect like that. Watch it in real time. It looks less intentionally vicious.

For the record, I fully expect that Trevathan will be suspended but I disagree with the call, in large part because it was so late and wasn't going to be called if he gets up.

Well you don't know the rules. Not much more I can say than that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #602 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
Sultan is correct.
From the NFL 2016 Rule Change and Point of Emphasis memo:

Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2016-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

Whether Adams gets up or not has no bearing on whether it was a foul. It will have a bearing on Trevathan's suspension/fine, though. What happened there is exactly what the league wants and needs to eliminate. Might be time to make an example of someone.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:48:01 PM by Pakuni »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #603 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »
And he was a defenseless player. 

Players in a defenseless posture are:

*A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #604 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:38 PM »
Dirtiest play I can remember. NFL should give him a seat for the rest of the year. Clearly intent to injure. If the NFL doesn't, the Bears should (won't) have the decency to do it for them.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #605 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:08 PM »
Dirtiest play I can remember. NFL should give him a seat for the rest of the year. Clearly intent to injure. If the NFL doesn't, the Bears should (won't) have the decency to do it for them.

It was dirty and deserves a suspension but the rest of the season is absurd.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #606 on: September 28, 2017, 11:01:15 PM »
I'll admit it. I was angry because the Bears look awful and the Packers get so many calls at home. It was a penalty...but not nearly as awful and dirty and intentional as many of you seem to believe  ;) I also stand by my contention that it happens often but players rarely connect.

Any chance the NFL suspends Glennon for the hit?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:03:01 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #607 on: September 28, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »
I'll admit it. I was angry because the Bears look awful and the Packers get so many calls at home. It was a penalty...but not nearly as awful and dirty and intentional as many of you seem to believe  ;) I also stand by my contention that it happens often but players rarely connect.

Any chance the NFL suspends Glennon for the hit?

People calling it the dirtiest hit they've ever seen is hyperbole. I've seen a bunch of comparable plays.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #608 on: September 28, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
People calling it the dirtiest hit they've ever seen is hyperbole. I've seen a bunch of comparable plays.

He lined him up. There are plenty of vicious hits, and they look similar. But this play was over, and he went in with the crown of the helmet aiming right for his head.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #609 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:15 PM »
Trubisky needs to start in week 5. Vikes have a tough defense but with extra time to prepare and the game in Chicago a change needs to be made.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #610 on: September 28, 2017, 11:25:07 PM »
He lined him up. There are plenty of vicious hits, and they look similar. But this play was over, and he went in with the crown of the helmet aiming right for his head.

I disagree with the last portion. Led with crown. Late/questionable hit.

But there's no way he could have known, with his head down, where Adams head was/would be.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #611 on: September 28, 2017, 11:26:24 PM »
Bears down.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #612 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:32 PM »
Packers take the series lead for the first time in decades. Feels right somehow.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #613 on: September 29, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/250591/nfl-should-use-its-new-rule-to-suspend-danny-trevathan

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/danny-trevathan-needs-suspended-dirty-hit-davante-adams-034833319.html

That was as bad as it gets.  I have to imagine Adams was unconscious for the Packers players to immediately be calling for trainers and medical staff.  He definitely wasn't moving while he was laying on the field originally.  Thankfully he seems to have movement and feeling.  I can't imagine he doesn't have a fairly bad concussion, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:14:03 AM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #614 on: September 29, 2017, 01:29:48 AM »
I was on a cross country flight and missed the game live. I'm done with the Glennon era, something isn't clicking either with him or the system.

Thought the Trevathan hit was absolutely awful, really hope Adams is ok.

I don't know how the Pack survive the year with all these injuries.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #615 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:13 AM »
I was on a cross country flight and missed the game live. I'm done with the Glennon era, something isn't clicking either with him or the system.

Thought the Trevathan hit was absolutely awful, really hope Adams is ok.

I don't know how the Pack survive the year with all these injuries.

What reason will Fox possibly use now to send Glennon back out there in 10 days? 4 more turnovers last night.

There is talent on this team (WR and the secondary need massive attention). Get him out there now - it's time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #616 on: September 29, 2017, 07:35:22 AM »
Romo was right that Glennon has absolutely no one on the outside to help him.  Just a bunch of small guys with average (at best) hands.  Not saying Trubisky shouldn't play, but he's not going to have much help.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #617 on: September 29, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »
i didn't realize glennon is being paid over $18 million  holy errant passes batman.  they could try kaeperdick for way less than half that unless he's busy helping cuba clean up after the hurricane
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #618 on: September 29, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
What they are paying him isn't really all that relevant.  He is completely cut-able after this year so his contract isn't causing cap problems. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #619 on: September 29, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »
but that was an $18 mil qb last night?  they might as well have kept cutler
don't...don't don't don't don't

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #620 on: September 29, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »
Glennon's money is irrelevant in that the QB market gets reset every year, and teams seemingly always pay it. Long term is what matters, and he's essentially on a 1 year deeal.

Glennon just isn't a starting NFL QB, it's painfully obvious. I don't care if they go to Sanchez, but Glennon can't start.

I still insist at some point, you have to find some reps for Trubisky though. Why wait until minicamp for new WR's before taking the training wheels off? I don't remember the exact stat here, but I believe Trubisky had taken the fewest number of collegiate snaps of any top 5 QB ever taken (?). Why couldn't they put him in the end of last night's blowout on the final drive?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #621 on: September 29, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
It happens 20 times a game. Usually players don't connect like that. Watch it in real time. It looks less intentionally vicious. If he hits him 6" lower, he causes a fumble and gets praised.

Not a Packer nor Bear fan here .. just watched the video as I was curious about this thread.

I agree with MerrittsM here.  6" lower and no one is talking about this.  When everyone is going at that kind of speed, 6" is a fraction of a muscle movement and entirely challenging to predict exactly where the runner and defender's helmets will be (to such accuracy.)   

The GB player is wrapped up by one Bear but his legs are churning and his one defender wasn't getting him down.  A few feet from impact, the defender and receiver are pretty low, crouching, knees mostly bent.   You need to tackle low, but Trevanthan couldn't adjust much lower, so what's he supposed to do?  Go high?  Use his hands drag him down?  No, you go low.  It was unfortunate at that altitude the helmets connect.

Admittedly, I didn't see any part of this game.  If I knew more context, like the defender was behaving badly/cheaply in prior plays, I might reconsider.  Looks like an NFL play that given a minor change, a muscle twitch, a half second earlier and the receiver wouldn't have been as low .. would have gone fine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #622 on: September 29, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »
Not a Packer nor Bear fan here .. just watched the video as I was curious about this thread.

I agree with MerrittsM here.  6" lower and no one is talking about this.  When everyone is going at that kind of speed, 6" is a fraction of a muscle movement and entirely challenging to predict exactly where the runner and defender's helmets will be (to such accuracy.)   

The GB player is wrapped up by one Bear but his legs are churning and his one defender wasn't getting him down.  A few feet from impact, the defender and receiver are pretty low, crouching, knees mostly bent.   You need to tackle low, but Trevanthan couldn't adjust much lower, so what's he supposed to do?  Go high?  Use his hands drag him down?  No, you go low.  It was unfortunate at that altitude the helmets connect.

Admittedly, I didn't see any part of this game.  If I knew more context, like the defender was behaving badly/cheaply in prior plays, I might reconsider.  Looks like an NFL play that given a minor change, a muscle twitch, a half second earlier and the receiver wouldn't have been as low .. would have gone fine.

I don't think he meant to knock him in the head on purpose.  But he did it.

Earlier in the game, Clinton-Dix was penalized for defenseless receiver.  He wasn't intending to hit him in the head, but he did.  And the penalty was rightly called.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #623 on: September 29, 2017, 08:04:04 AM »

I don't think he meant to knock him in the head on purpose.  But he did it.

Earlier in the game, Clinton-Dix was penalized for defenseless receiver.  He wasn't intending to hit him in the head, but he did.  And the penalty was rightly called.

Maybe I just don't understand tackling or high level football... But my problem was the part where he lead with the top of his helmet

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #624 on: September 29, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »
Maybe I just don't understand tackling or high level football... But my problem was the part where he lead with the top of his helmet

Bingo!  Keep your head up.  Then maybe Trevathan could adjust.  Leading with the crown of the helmet is completely reckless and dangerous.  It's like driving with a blindfold on. Intent doesn't matter, the reckless behavior does.

feedback