[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280394 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #575 on: September 28, 2017, 11:28:28 AM »
I've always been curious about the kneeling aspect.   If you're in a church, you genuflect as you walk by the crucifix or alter.   Catholics kneel during parts of the mass.  Kneeling is a sign of reverence, worship, and servility. 

Imagine if .. I dunno .. Tim Tebow knelt 5 years ago during the anthem.  People would think, wow, this guy is reverent.  Hell, it would have started a uber patriotic trend.  -- I get it, the "intent" matters.  The physical act .. well, sure appears respectful.   I suppose Kaep may have poisoned the well when he sat the first few times.

There's also the uncomfortable visual of black men kneeling .. in a stadium that is mostly filled with whites above them.

I wonder how many people know that Kaep switched to kneeling after talking to military vets.  They recommended he kneel as it is a sign of respect, like how military men kneel beside fallen comrades. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #576 on: September 28, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
Yes. He originally sat.  The vets told him that kneeling was respectful.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #577 on: September 28, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »
I wonder how many people know that Kaep switched to kneeling after talking to military vets.  They recommended he kneel as it is a sign of respect, like how military men kneel beside fallen comrades. 

Of course you have probably figured out the REAL reason why many are upset.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #578 on: September 28, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »

Of course you have probably figured out the REAL reason why many are upset.

You mean it's not about the kneeling?

jesmu84

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #580 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »
ROFL.    Interfere with elections....meh.    It is all fun and games until you mess with NFL viewership.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #581 on: September 28, 2017, 12:42:46 PM »
First of all, thanks to Pakuni for the info he posted yesterday regarding the players' appeal to the NFL and their list of action items. I knew there were players who wrote a letter but I honestly didn't know much more beyond that.

I can understand why people initially thought that Kaepernick was being disrespectful to the flag and to the military. Kaepernick did not handle the aftermath particularly well and that contributed to his message getting lost in the shuffle, but the fact is "the American people" for the most part have not taken the time to learn what this is really all about. In its very, very simplest terms, Kaepernick and the other protesters want all people to be treated fairly and equally. That really doesn't seem like a topic that would generate outrage.

From the Hindsight is 20/20 Department: It'd be interesting to know how this would have all played out had Kap spoken to military personnel first and stated that he had done so and that he planned to kneel during the anthem as a sign of respect to the flag/military but that he wasn't going to stand up to show full respect to a country that doesn't treat everyone equally (or something worded better than that). The protesters have been "playing from behind" since this whole thing started and many people have already made up their minds and aren't going to change them.

This shouldn't be a First Amendment of the Constitution issue. It should be a second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence issue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #582 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
You mean it's not about the kneeling?

White guy kneels during the anthem in honor of fallen soldiers and no one would care.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #583 on: September 28, 2017, 01:29:28 PM »
First of all, thanks to Pakuni for the info he posted yesterday regarding the players' appeal to the NFL and their list of action items. I knew there were players who wrote a letter but I honestly didn't know much more beyond that.

I can understand why people initially thought that Kaepernick was being disrespectful to the flag and to the military. Kaepernick did not handle the aftermath particularly well and that contributed to his message getting lost in the shuffle, but the fact is "the American people" for the most part have not taken the time to learn what this is really all about. In its very, very simplest terms, Kaepernick and the other protesters want all people to be treated fairly and equally. That really doesn't seem like a topic that would generate outrage.

From the Hindsight is 20/20 Department: It'd be interesting to know how this would have all played out had Kap spoken to military personnel first and stated that he had done so and that he planned to kneel during the anthem as a sign of respect to the flag/military but that he wasn't going to stand up to show full respect to a country that doesn't treat everyone equally (or something worded better than that). The protesters have been "playing from behind" since this whole thing started and many people have already made up their minds and aren't going to change them.

This shouldn't be a First Amendment of the Constitution issue. It should be a second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence issue.

Superb comment, MM. Great insight, and legitimate questions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #584 on: September 28, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Guess Green Bay showed da country how we roll ‘round here, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #585 on: September 28, 2017, 07:52:30 PM »
Perhaps its time to keep all of the teams in the locker room until after the Anthem like it was before 2009.

That would just be way too simple

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #586 on: September 28, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
Bears keep steppin’ on der fookin’ Johnsons, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #587 on: September 28, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »
Bears keep steppin’ on der fookin’ Johnsons, hey?

Pack on PEDs. Quick recovery with short turnaround.. Snap velocity up 1 mph.  Called in lightening storm just as random drug test unfolding. Clear as Ryan Braun's urine.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #588 on: September 28, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
Pack on PEDs. Quick recovery with short turnaround.. Snap velocity up 1 mph.  Called in lightening storm just as random drug test unfolding. Clear as Ryan Braun's urine.

Absolutely the Packers have players who have taken PEDs. I love that Chicago sports fans actually think their teams don’t have players that take PEDs. Absolutely absurd, but if it’s that big of a deal to you and helps you sleep at night then hey, your guys are totally clean for sure. No way your 53 NFL players have taken PEDs. (Then again they are so godawful that PEDs aren’t at all needed to smoke up some Bear meat...)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #589 on: September 28, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »
That is as dirty of a hit as I’ve ever seen in the NFL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #590 on: September 28, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »
  N_A_S_T_Y! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #591 on: September 28, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »

Word for word. Exactly what I was going to post.

Suspension for multiple games should be forthcoming.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #592 on: September 28, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »

Matthews does something dirtier every other week.

It's football. He wasn't a defenseless receiver. He was a runner. That's not a penalty. The flag wasn't even thrown until they saw he was hurt.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:30:43 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »

It's football. He wasn't a defenseless receiver. He was a runner. That's not a penalty.

Wow. Your a smart poster. I expect better. It was a blatant attempt to injure.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #594 on: September 28, 2017, 10:30:59 PM »

It's football. He wasn't a defenseless receiver. He was a runner. That's not a penalty.

Lol. Jesus you are delusional.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #595 on: September 28, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »

BS. Obvious penalty. Crown of the helmet. Mike Periera said he should have been ejected.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #596 on: September 28, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »

BS. Obvious penalty. Crown of the helmet. Mike Periera said he should have been ejected.

Was he a defenseless receiver?

Let's see how many RBs get hit in the helmet the rest of the game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #597 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:26 PM »

You have a lack of understanding of the rules. They didn't call defenseless receiver. You can't launch yourself into someone with the crown of the helmet.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #598 on: September 28, 2017, 10:37:26 PM »

It's football. He wasn't a defenseless receiver. He was a runner. That's not a penalty. The flag wasn't even thrown until they saw he was hurt.

That was one of the dirtiest things I've seen in football.  Defenseless receiver stood up and going nowhere directly targeted in the head with the crown of the helmet. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #599 on: September 28, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »

When a runner's forward progress is stopped and held up like that, he is considered defenseless. Absolutely a penalty and very dirty.