collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280390 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2017, 11:49:12 PM »
well well well-the colin kaep non-signing sure has quieted down.  it couldn't have anything to do with the colin's girl firing off a racist tweet err anything?   colin's girl, nessa diab ain't too good for his, ahem, football career.  didn't she take over as his agent, seriously?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20597810/ray-lewis-said-baltimore-ravens-sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2017, 12:43:20 AM »
well well well-the colin kaep non-signing sure has quieted down.  it couldn't have anything to do with the colin's girl firing off a racist tweet err anything?   colin's girl, nessa diab ain't too good for his, ahem, football career.  didn't she take over as his agent, seriously?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20597810/ray-lewis-said-baltimore-ravens-sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet

Cmon now......really? Why should Kaep be punished for his girlfriends tweet? That makes zero bloody sense. Kaep should be on a NFL team, point blank period. Trevor Siemien, Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown and Tom Savage are all NFL starters this year.

He is being blackballed, don't try to bring another flimsy argument into the equation.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:55:45 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
Cmon now......really? Why should Kaep be punished for his girlfriends tweet? That makes zero bloody sense. Kaep should be on a NFL team, point blank period. Trevor Siemien, Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown and Tom Savage are all NFL starters this year.

He is being blackballed, don't try to bring another flimsy argument into the equation.

He is absolutely not being blackballed. The reason he's not in the league is pretty simple.

He's a back-up/fringe starter, which means he's good enough to be on an NFL roster. However, he brings with him controversy, baggage and excess media attention and no team wants to deal with those issues coming from a back-up/fringe starter. If any of those bad QBs you mentioned brought with them the kind of sideshow that comes along with Kaepernick, they'd be looking for a job as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
He is absolutely not being blackballed. The reason he's not in the league is pretty simple.

He's a back-up/fringe starter, which means he's good enough to be on an NFL roster. However, he brings with him controversy, baggage and excess media attention and no team wants to deal with those issues coming from a back-up/fringe starter. If any of those bad QBs you mentioned brought with them the kind of sideshow that comes along with Kaepernick, they'd be looking for a job as well.

He's being blackballed...at least partially.  Yeah if he were Aaron Rodgers he would have been signed.

But the Panthers signing Joe Webb is all you need to know.

And Kaep's girlfriend's tweet is spot on.  Seriously how the Ravens can continue to trot out a guy who was an accessory to murder to be their moral spokesman on this issue is hilarious. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »

Chitown, no team wants anywhere near that much drama for their backup QB.  Do you really think your hated Green Bay Packers would even take his call?  Ever?  Here's one thing to know in the real world.  Nobody is owed a job and most often there's not much difference between 2 final candidates with 'fit' often being the determining factor.  Occasionally that's not legitimate when someone won't hire a qualified woman or minority, for example, and those cases need to be called out.  But for the most case, a sense of 'fit' is just fine.  And Kap most certainly doesn't 'fit'.  One can call that blackballing if they want but he isn't owed a damn thing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2017, 09:12:53 AM »
I'm shocked how many people are okay with workplace discrimination. The only reason Kap is unemployed is because he exercised a Constitutional right. If he's so offensive, why are the dozens of other players following his lead not also unemployed? He is being discriminated against because he was the first.

Personally, I'm appalled by the police and fire in Cleveland that are effectively protesting the Browns' players' stance. So now we protest people exercising their rights? Do they actively WANT to get rid of the Constitution? That's a slap in the face of pretty much every American ever, but they're so wrapped up in star spangled blindfolds that they don't see what their protest represents.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
I'm shocked how many people are okay with workplace discrimination. The only reason Kap is unemployed is because he exercised a Constitutional right. If he's so offensive, why are the dozens of other players following his lead not also unemployed? He is being discriminated against because he was the first.

Personally, I'm appalled by the police and fire in Cleveland that are effectively protesting the Browns' players' stance. So now we protest people exercising their rights? Do they actively WANT to get rid of the Constitution? That's a slap in the face of pretty much every American ever, but they're so wrapped up in star spangled blindfolds that they don't see what their protest represents.

Brew, last time I looked being a lightning rod and super controversial isn't a protected class.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »

You just argued against yourself.  Twice.  Kaepernik doesn't have a job because he kneels for the National Anthem...but hundreds of players who kneel for the National Anthem have jobs.  Kaepernik isn't a good football player.  If he was he'd be employed.  Just like those hundreds who do exactly what Kaepernik is "blackballed" for and somehow aren't also "blackballed."

And like the Browns can choose to protest what they want and how they want to, so to can the Cleveland policemen and firefighters.  They too have the same constitutional right those Browns players do.

Brew, last time I looked being a lightning rod and super controversial isn't a protected class.

Yup.  Employers can choose to hire or not hire people for all different reasons.  I can absolutely get fired for using my voice and exercising my First Amendment rights if I use them in a way my employer does not see appropriate.  Actions have consequences, even when you have a Constitution.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:28:54 AM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
Chitown, no team wants anywhere near that much drama for their backup QB.  Do you really think your hated Green Bay Packers would even take his call?  Ever?  Here's one thing to know in the real world.  Nobody is owed a job and most often there's not much difference between 2 final candidates with 'fit' often being the determining factor.  Occasionally that's not legitimate when someone won't hire a qualified woman or minority, for example, and those cases need to be called out.  But for the most case, a sense of 'fit' is just fine.  And Kap most certainly doesn't 'fit'.  One can call that blackballing if they want but he isn't owed a damn thing.

Oh please.

There have been much more controversial figures than Colin Kaepernick.  We've had repeat violent offenders on football teams, people who have killed others while drunk driving, etc.  But this is what gets someone blackballed?  Stop excusing bad behavior.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »

Wrong! Kaepernick is unemployed because he's the only player who brings with him the controversy and media attention from the protest. It's not workplace discrimination to say "We don't want to deal with the baggage that comes with a non-vital employee."

So it's OK for one group to protest against something they feel strongly about but it's not OK for another group to feel disrespected by that protest? Do we all have to agree with every protest?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »

Oh please.

There have been much more controversial figures than Colin Kaepernick.  We've had repeat violent offenders on football teams, people who have killed others while drunk driving, etc.  But this is what gets someone blackballed?  Stop excusing bad behavior.

How many of those players bring with them the type of extra attention that would come with signing Kaepernick? How many of those players are important members of the team?

Like I said before, Kap has enough talent to be on an NFL roster but he's a back-up player who's not worth all the extras that come along with him. Fair or unfair, that's the deal.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
Wrong! Kaepernick is unemployed because he's the only player who brings with him the controversy and media attention from the protest. It's not workplace discrimination to say "We don't want to deal with the baggage that comes with a non-vital employee."

So it's OK for one group to protest against something they feel strongly about but it's not OK for another group to feel disrespected by that protest? Do we all have to agree with every protest?

Black guy sits for the national anthem = CONTROVERSY!!!!!  But killers, violent offenders and drug users are OK as long as they tow the line.

Very sad.  And its even more sad when people excuse the behavior. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »

So why is Michael Bennett still in the league as well as at least a hundred other players who have protested during the national anthem? Kap is unemployed for multiple reasons (talent, sideshow effect, his protest, etc). So what if he was first, his being "kept out of the league" hasn't seemingly slowed anything down from a protest standpoint.

Got it, so you are appalled when one group protests something (exercising their rights) but are a staunch advocate when another group protests something (exercising their rights). You can disagree with the police all you want (you exercising your right), but they are exercising their rights just as much as the NFL players are. Should the peaceful counter-protestors against Trump protestors not be allowed to counter-protest because they are trying to stop someone's rights by not letting them be heard?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »

I'm sorry but if the Baltimore Ravens organization is so thin skinned that a tweet by a celebrity (which isn't that far off in terms of accuracy) offends an accessory to murder and that means the Ravens can't sign a player that will help them.....they are a horrible organization and deserve to never win another game.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »

Oh please.

Sometimes I wonder if there's anything we agree on.  Oh wait!  We agreed on MU's admissions methodology.  So that's ONE!  ;D

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »

Black guy sits for the national anthem = CONTROVERSY!!!!!  But killers, violent offenders and drug users are OK as long as they tow the line.

Very sad.  And its even more sad when people excuse the behavior.

How many of those "killers, violent offenders and drug users" are back-up QBs? How many are guys who barely see the field?

If a controversial player can push a team closer to winning a Super Bowl, he'll find a team. If a guy is a controversial bit player, he's likely going to be unemployed. Is that fair, moral and ethical? No, but that's the way the NFL works...as do most businesses.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
How many of those "killers, violent offenders and drug users" are back-up QBs? How many are guys who barely see the field?

If a controversial player can push a team closer to winning a Super Bowl, he'll find a team. If a guy is a controversial bit player, he's likely going to be unemployed. Is that fair, moral and ethical? No, but that's the way the NFL works...as do most businesses.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »

Even with all the condescension, you didn't answer the question.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »

Define barely see the field and I'll see if I can come with a metric of the number of players with semi-serious to serious legal issues who meet that standard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »

I've answered it.  I think your excuse is crap.  There have been violent offenders who have been back ups and role players.

Keep excusing bad behavior.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »

I've answered it.  I think your excuse is crap.  There have been violent offenders who have been back ups and role players.

Keep excusing bad behavior.

Do they bring distraction and controversy and excess media attention?

The media has as much to do with Kap's unemployment as anything.

You earlier said that Kap was "partially" being blackballed. Why only him? Why not more talented players who have taken a similar stance?

It's simple: Right or wrong, the distraction that comes along with Colin Kaepernick outweighs his value.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:29:38 AM by MerrittsMustache »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »

Joe Mixon anyone?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »

YES!!!  LET'S BLAME THE MEDIA!!!!

But by all means, let's not blame the owners and a fanbase that excuses their behavior because they might be a "distraction."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:47 AM »

YES!!!  LET'S BLAME THE MEDIA!!!!

But by all means, let's not blame the owners and a fanbase that excuses their behavior because they might be a "distraction."

You don't think the media circus around Kaepernick has anything to do with him being unemployed?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2017, 10:40:14 AM »
Oh I definitely think it's a convenient excuse for owners to use and for people to rationalize.