collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 280390 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »
No one calling out AR for supporting Kaepernick.    Must be a coincidence.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/30/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-supports-anthem-protests-colin-kaepernick/

Ha, no kidding.

Silence on the Western front, innit?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/30/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-supports-anthem-protests-colin-kaepernick/

White guys can do what they want. Chris Long didn't get much flak for supporting Malcolm Jenkins raising his fist during the anthem.

I had to laugh - mostly out of sadness - when, after Long showed his support of Jenkins, I heard an announcer commenting that maybe the protest was now legitimate because a white guy was standing up for the cause.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »

He basically said nothing. He supports guys' efforts to protest but he's not going to get personally involved in kneeling.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2017, 02:18:53 PM »
No offense taken.

Although he's Bears fan, Wilbon HATES Jay Cutler (he also hates Pace and Trubisky, FWIW). He's not exactly an unbiased source and perhaps he talked to 5 guys and considers that to be "a lot." Who knows? But like I said, it's not hard to find players who don't like a teammate. I'm sure Wilbon could also find "a lot" of teammates who don't like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady or you-name-him.

Wilbon is also the old guard of journalism who expects players to kiss the media's butt, so much like Tom Jackson whose entire criticism of Cutler's demeanor revolves around his demeanor in the hallway of Mile High one time, its not hard to imagine that.  Wilbon used to be good, but now is a caricature of himself and is one of the most ardent "GET OFF MY LAWN YOUTHS" in the sports media world.

My friend ran into him at a NW tailgate, said he was a really nice guy and was willing to chat sports with anyone...then proceeded to rip on and rant about various Chicago sports figures and teams for 20 min till he left.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »
White guys can do what they want. Chris Long didn't get much flak for supporting Malcolm Jenkins raising his fist during the anthem.

I had to laugh - mostly out of sadness - when, after Long showed his support of Jenkins, I heard an announcer commenting that maybe the protest was now legitimate because a white guy was standing up for the cause.

I believe *you* "heard" that, but I wonder what was ACTUALLY said...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2017, 08:37:30 PM »

not really-it's not only a good safe answer, but he's respecting kaeps right to "free speech"  nothing wrong with that.  he may be one of the 64 best qb's in the league-holy cow! man-are the gm's and/or owners missing out(sarcasm).  they don't feel the baggage is worth taking one of the "64 best qb's in the league.  i wouldn't doubt if the hungarian-american is making up for the lost wages to further the cause, enn'a? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
No offense taken.

Although he's Bears fan, Wilbon HATES Jay Cutler (he also hates Pace and Trubisky, FWIW). He's not exactly an unbiased source and perhaps he talked to 5 guys and considers that to be "a lot." Who knows? But like I said, it's not hard to find players who don't like a teammate. I'm sure Wilbon could also find "a lot" of teammates who don't like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady or you-name-him.

Jermon Bushrod described Cutler as "a great teammate" and "a good lockerroom guy." Back-up QB David Fales said Cutler was "one of the more influential people in my career." Kyle Long and Zach Miller tweeted high praise for Cutler when he was released. Cam Meredith and OC Dowell Loggains both said that the perception of Jay being bad in the lockerroom is incorrect. Yes, I understand that it's also not hard to find players who DO like a teammate but those comments certainly don't fit the media narrative of Cutler being a bad lockerroom guy.

Sidenote: If guys don't respect Cutler because he's an anti-vaxxers then that's completely legit  ;)

Agree that Wilbon hates Cutler. I don't think he hates Trubisky; he just is skeptical that Trubisky can be the answer and he thinks the Bears paid too much to get him. It's an opinion.

Those were a lot of good examples of ex-teammates supporting Jay. So I guess there are plenty who liked/respected him, and plenty who didn't. As you say, that's the case with most QBs.

Anyway, as an objective, detached observer with no horse in the race, my main beef with Jay is simply that he did not win enough and that he had a knack for screwing up. I know that all the losing wasn't his "fault," but that goes with the territory when you're the QB.

Wilbon is also the old guard of journalism who expects players to kiss the media's butt, so much like Tom Jackson whose entire criticism of Cutler's demeanor revolves around his demeanor in the hallway of Mile High one time, its not hard to imagine that.  Wilbon used to be good, but now is a caricature of himself and is one of the most ardent "GET OFF MY LAWN YOUTHS" in the sports media world.

This is fair. Wilbon used to be a very good columnist but then he got TV-ized. I used to know him well enough to say "yo" to; we certainly weren't friends, but I never felt he "big-timed" me.

But he's a "personality" now. He loves to talk about all the guys he knows, etc. And yes, like all humans, he likes people who take a personal interest in him. When he was a reporter, that wasn't a "thing."

So I probably shouldn't call him a "journalist" any more, as I did in my earlier comment. I do still respect him more than I respect most talking heads, and the Wilbon/Kornheiser show is the only one of its kind I can stomach because I actually like both guys. I fully understand how others might have different opinions of them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseRodgers/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching

I really enjoyed this article. Thought it was real written and gave an interesting of Rodgers as a person in and outside of the game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
So before cut-downs come out, here's my recommendation for TT.  Keep Taysom Hill on your 53.  You know the plan is to shop Hundley next off season.  Hill slides seamlessly into #2 then.  You can never have too many good players, especially at the most important position, and they're real hard to find.  And if that means they go one short on the O-line or one of the rookie HBs heads to the PS, so be it.  They're just replaceable 'guys'.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
I don't think Hundley or Hill are anything more than "replaceable guys."  I think if Rodgers goes down and either has to start a number of games the Packers are in trouble.  Neither will ever be a starting quarterback in the NFL, if you ask me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
So before cut-downs come out, here's my recommendation for TT.  Keep Taysom Hill on your 53.  You know the plan is to shop Hundley next off season.  Hill slides seamlessly into #2 then.  You can never have too many good players, especially at the most important position, and they're real hard to find.  And if that means they go one short on the O-line or one of the rookie HBs heads to the PS, so be it.  They're just replaceable 'guys'.

I agree with Wades.

All we know about Hill is that he can run, he can hand off the ball, and he gets hurt a lot. Dime a dozen for guys like that.

As for Hundley, hopefully some team sees something more than I do and he can fetch maybe a 3rd rounder. If AR goes down, we will just be the northern version of the Bears with a worse defense.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:30:21 PM by Jockey »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
I agree with Wades.

All we know about Hill is that he can run, he can hand off the ball, and he gets hurt a lot. Dime a dozen for guys like that.

As for Hundley, hopefully some team sees something more than I do and he can fetch maybe a 3rd rounder. If AR goes down, we will just be the northern version of the Bears with a worse defense.

Was that a bears defense compliment?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2017, 04:43:07 PM »
Every pre-season for 20 years Packers fans talk about the back up QBs that get playing time against vanilla, second team defenses in the pre-season.  And the only two that have been worth a damn are Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Rodgers. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
Every pre-season for 20 years Packers fans talk about the back up QBs that get playing time against vanilla, second team defenses in the pre-season.  And the only two that have been worth a damn are Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Rodgers.

Mark Brunell and Aaron Brooks both went on to be solid starters.  That said, I don't see Hundley at that level. A capable #2 but not a starter.  Not sure he'll have much trade value next off season with only one year of control and a strong looking QB draft in 2018.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2017, 06:11:02 PM »
You guys mean all those Packers backups that would have started for the Bears?  I actually agree about Hundley. Unfortunately they spent the summer trying to showcase him for next year,  with limited success. So you guys think they can sneak Hill on the PS? I don't.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »
You guys mean all those Packers backups that would have started for the Bears?  I actually agree about Hundley. Unfortunately they spent the summer trying to showcase him for next year,  with limited success. So you guys think they can sneak Hill on the PS? I don't.

I think Hill probably makes the roster because I think going with 2 quarterbacks burned the Packers a few years ago.  But I don't think this is anymore than what we saw last year with all the hype around Callahan in the preseason where people thought this guy came out of nowhere and was the real deal to make the team and be a really valuable guy.

Hill has made some nice plays in the preseason, but he's done so against players who won't be on NFL rosters 24 hours from now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
Hill is also 27.  The NFL isn't too favorable to old quarterbacks starting out at an advanced age (see: Brandon Weeden).

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2017, 07:19:50 PM »
Hill is also 27.  The NFL isn't too favorable to old quarterbacks starting out at an advanced age (see: Brandon Weeden).

at least he doesn't have much of an IR history

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »
You guys mean all those Packers backups that would have started for the Bears? 

So? For a couple of decades there, pretty much EVERY team's backups would have started for the Bears. And a lot of them did!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2017, 11:48:42 PM »
So? For a couple of decades there, pretty much EVERY team's backups would have started for the Bears. And a lot of them did!

Word.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »
osweiler is cut.  let's see if those brownies doin the knee thing will see kaep with an orange jersey now enn'a?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
Packers just cut Callahan reportedly with an invite to the PS.  Some are speculating that means Hill to the 53 as they likely wouldn't invite two to 'walk on'.  If all true, expect Callahan to walk.  Why be #4?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
Annnnnnd, there goes that theory.  Packers just cut Hill.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
Yeah they have been carrying two QBs pretty regularly the last couple of years. 

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
one more time-this was your quote-"people"?  if you're going to criticize someone for "reading comprehension", it's best you make yourself a little more clear.  how about a little heads up on who you're referring to as "people".   welcome to my world.  this is how i get scrutinized

kaepernick's protest really isn't a problem, it's HIS problem.  he's got to deal with the consequences. whether or not they are right, wrong, fair or unfair.  life ain't fair eyn'a so?

the rest of your comments re: ray rice, josh brown and the long list of others who were never really punished (as far as we know), i cannot disagree with you

CBS Sports Chairman confirmed this week that the protests did impact ratings, which is not a surprise to many.  It wasn't the factor, but absolutely one of the factors along with the election.  CBS did their own study that confirmed this.  Other studies have done the same.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/09/cbs_sports_exec_national_anthem_protests_hurt_nfl.html

feedback