* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[May 18, 2024, 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jay Bilas Top 68 Teams Jan 7th  (Read 11618 times)

TempoFree

• Walk-On
Jay Bilas Top 68 Teams Jan 7th
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10251804/arizona-wildcats-top-jay-bilas-ranking-68-best-teams-college-basketball

"57. Marquette Golden Eagles (Previous ranking: 48)

The Golden Eagles have lost only to good teams, but with such poor perimeter shooting, Marquette puts a lot of pressure on its solid defense to get stop after stop. If Marquette were not so proficient on the offensive glass, wins would be even harder to come by."

I was somewhat surprised to see that Bilas still had MU in the top 68

slack00

• Starter
Re: Jay Bilas Top 68 Teams Jan 7th
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »
I'm not surprised when you look into it.  Bilas ranks top 68, as opposed to bracketologists who find the 68 that will make the tournament.

MU's 6 losses are to teams he ranks 4, 6, 20, 23, 34, and 56.

He has MU ranked 57.

MU has a win against #58 and all other games are wins against unranked teams.

This is actually one of the most rational rankings I've seen.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:33:54 PM »
Bilas is one of the very best covering college hoops. His comments, as usual, are concise and accurate.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
Bilas is one of the very best covering college hoops. His comments, as usual, are concise and accurate.

+1

Bilas (and Schulman, when they would broadcast together) is probably the thing I miss the most about leaving ESPN

Fun fact...Bilas is a lawyer, and went to Duke Law
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:01:42 PM by Bleuteaux »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
Fun fact...Bilas is a lawyer, and went to Duke Law

neither of which I hold against him as his insight easily overcomes those blemishes on his resume

Death on call

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
Bilas is a lawyer
There's a reason why he's thorough and concise.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
There's a reason why he's thorough and concise.

Through and concise has nothing to do with being a lawyer.  If anything law school worsened these abilities.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »
Through and concise has nothing to do with being a lawyer.  If anything law school worsened these abilities.

Eh, I see what you mean, but I disagree. Those formalities taught in law school begin to fall by the wayside the more experience you get, but you retain thoroughness and hopefully become a more effective communicator in the process. Anyway, the convo needs to go no further. I'm already sorry I brought it up--through no fault of your own.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Eh, I see what you mean, but I disagree. Those formalities taught in law school begin to fall by the wayside the more experience you get, but you retain thoroughness and hopefully become a more effective communicator in the process. Anyway, the convo needs to go no further. I'm already sorry I brought it up--through no fault of your own.

LAWYERED!  Drink!
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
How the hell did he end up as a basketball analyst?  Did he do some type of sports law or is the job market for lawyers that bad?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »
How the hell did he end up as a basketball analyst?  Did he do some type of sports law or is the job market for lawyers that bad?

He got his law degree while he was an assistant for Coach K.  Left there to go do play by play for TTWL.  Was a player for Duke as well in the Lattner years.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
Bilas received his J.D. from Duke University School of Law in 1992. He is currently Of Counsel to the Charlotte office of Moore & Van Allen, where he maintains a litigation practice.[7]

Bilas most notably worked on the case Lyons Partnership v. Morris Costumes, Inc., where he successfully defended the costume business against trademark and copyright claims brought by owners of the popular children's television character, Barney the Dinosaur.[8]

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 05:26:21 PM »

Scare part is you actually believe this drivel.

What's the difference between a lawyer and a bucket of sh!t?  Answer, the bucket

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
Bilas is one of the best, no doubt.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »

Yea, I gotta say that one of the things that I like about Bilas is that he seems to think before he speaks.  Unlike someone like, say, Van Gundy, who regularly makes asinine comments.  A lot of what Bilas says is substantive and not simply drivel to fill up airtime.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 06:33:14 PM »

OVER MY DEAD BARNEY!

Death on call

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »
You clearly miss the point.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »

Bilas most notably worked on the case Lyons Partnership v. Morris Costumes, Inc., where he successfully defended the costume business against trademark and copyright claims brought by owners of the popular children's television character, Barney the Dinosaur.[8]

That explains his empassioned position on the O'Bannon lawsuit.
I don't follow too many people on Twitter, but Bilas is one of them. He's a pretty funny dude at times.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
That explains his empassioned position on the O'Bannon lawsuit.
I don't follow too many people on Twitter, but Bilas is one of them. He's a pretty funny dude at times.

+1.  Now, I gotta go to work.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »

What's the difference between a lawyer and a bucket of sh!t?  Answer, the bucket
Just curious heisen, what do you for a living?

In case you don't answer, I'll take a guess. Your job entails you asking people if they want fries with their order.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
Bilas is excellent. If one lined up all of the analysts in all sports, he'd be very near the front of the line. While Raftery was yelling out his dopey catchphrases, I'm guessing Bilas was thinking, "Could you please shaddup so we can enjoy this game with some dignity?" Bilas would never admit to that because he, unlike me, is too nice!

I actually am encouraged by him ranking us that high. As another poster pointed out, this doesn't mean we're anything close to tourney bound because so many lower-ranked schools will get in with automatic bids, but it gives hope. We need to get a few wins against those ranked ahead of us, though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »
Bilas is excellent. If one lined up all of the analysts in all sports, he'd be very near the front of the line. While Raftery was yelling out his dopey catchphrases, I'm guessing Bilas was thinking, "Could you please shaddup so we can enjoy this game with some dignity?" Bilas would never admit to that because he, unlike me, is too nice!

I actually am encouraged by him ranking us that high. As another poster pointed out, this doesn't mean we're anything close to tourney bound because so many lower-ranked schools will get in with automatic bids, but it gives hope. We need to get a few wins against those ranked ahead of us, though!

I agree that his opinions carry more authority than any other analyst today. Still, the greatest color commentator ever was Al McGuire. And in many ways his impact on the game and the audience he reached was far greater in his TV role than it was as our coach. Everyone cites the 1979 Magic-Bird title game as the defining moment of NCAA basketball's arrival. But Al played a pivotal role in solidifying the game's popularity in the mainstream. His unique jargon and sly putdowns of Billy Packer were pure gold. A remarkable personality.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »
I agree that his opinions carry more authority than any other analyst today. Still, the greatest color commentator ever was Al McGuire. And in many ways his impact on the game and the audience he reached was far greater in his TV role than it was as our coach. Everyone cites the 1979 Magic-Bird title game as the defining moment of NCAA basketball's arrival. But Al played a pivotal role in solidifying the game's popularity in the mainstream. His unique jargon and sly putdowns of Billy Packer were pure gold. A remarkable personality.

Loved Al as a commentator almost as much as I loved him as a coach!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »
Loved Al as a commentator almost as much as I loved him as a coach!

An unranked Marquette played #10 Duke at their place on a 1980 Saturday afternoon and Al was calling the game. As the clock ticked off the closing seconds of a Marquette victory Hank came over to the broadcast table and high-fived Al. Al, oblivious to the live mike, congratulated Hank with some choice words more commonly heard in a barroom than over the NBC airways. Al was one of a kind. And he was genuine.

Here is the box score from that game. O Lee with 24 and Byrd with 21. Backcourt was Michael Wilson with 10/7 and Worthen with 15/8. Man, could you imagine those two starting for us today?

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19800210

Death on call

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
I don't remember who else was on that team, but did you notice only 5 guys playing, with the exception of Artie Green and Dean Marquardt playing a few minutes each?   How would that go over nowadays?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
Michael Wilson with 10 pts, 7 asst, 3 rbs, 5 stl and 0 to (in a game where Duke had 24 and MU 13). Awesome line.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »
I don't remember who else was on that team, but did you notice only 5 guys playing, with the exception of Artie Green and Dean Marquardt playing a few minutes each?   How would that go over nowadays?

The freshmen all transferred out that summer.

Actually, Marquardt was recovering from a terrible car crash the previous summer and should have red shirted. He was a very highly regarded recruit whose career was definitely impacted by that accident.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
The freshmen all transferred out that summer.

Actually, Marquardt was recovering from a terrible car crash the previous summer and should have red shirted. He was a very highly regarded recruit whose career was definitely impacted by that accident.

If memory serves me ... Did Marquardt pass on Kentucky and UCLA to go to MU?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
If memory serves me ... Did Marquardt pass on Kentucky and UCLA to go to MU?

Yes to UCLA. He signed because of Majerus.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
An unranked Marquette played #10 Duke at their place on a 1980 Saturday afternoon and Al was calling the game. As the clock ticked off the closing seconds of a Marquette victory Hank came over to the broadcast table and high-fived Al. Al, oblivious to the live mike, congratulated Hank with some choice words more commonly heard in a barroom than over the NBC airways. Al was one of a kind. And he was genuine.

Here is the box score from that game. O Lee with 24 and Byrd with 21. Backcourt was Michael Wilson with 10/7 and Worthen with 15/8. Man, could you imagine those two starting for us today?

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19800210

Game was at Dane County Coliseum in Madison.

It was the single most fun Marquette game I ever attended.

Game had to be moved from Milwaukee due to some Bucks/TV conflict (if I remember correctly). So it was at Dane County, a great place to watch a sporting event. Plus, only the MU fans and students who REALLY wanted to go did, because we had to make the extended effort to get there. Plus, Al was broadcasting. Plus, Duke was ranked and had Gminski and Banks and others.

And we beat them and much merriment ensued!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:52 PM »
Game was at Dane County Coliseum in Madison.

It was the single most fun Marquette game I ever attended.

Game had to be moved from Milwaukee due to some Bucks/TV conflict (if I remember correctly). So it was at Dane County, a great place to watch a sporting event. Plus, only the MU fans and students who REALLY wanted to go did, because we had to make the extended effort to get there. Plus, Al was broadcasting. Plus, Duke was ranked and had Gminski and Banks and others.

And we beat them and much merriment ensued!

You are correct, sir. The game was a TV add but there was a conflict with the Arena (something like a circus rather than the Bucks.) We didn't make it to Madison for some reason so I recall watching from our sh1tty house on 15th on a B&W TV. Great game.

Death on call

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »

Haha. Your originality is truly enlightening.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »
neither of which I hold against him as his insight easily overcomes those blemishes on his resume

Easy there. Without lawyers you would likely not have those patents to your name. Assuming that GE Energy (now known as ?) was the assignee, I may even have worked as they were one of my biggest clients before going in house.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »
Sooo.....rankings.  I think that's about right.  MU has accomplished less to date than Butler and Georgetown but is certainly within striking range of those teams.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »
Haha. Your originality is truly enlightening.

The part where he made the joke or the part where he circumvented the profanity blocker with the exclamation point?  Because I'm finding neither to be very original at all... in fact, the only thing less original I can think of is a lawyer being sarcastic.  Like when a lawyer is supposed to be on her day off and helping me watch the kids, but all she wants to do is argue about meaningless crap because she's got a trial coming up and I guess I'm nothing more than a speed bag to her.

Evidently, the real buckets of sh!t are those of us who thought at one point "sure I'm marrying a lawyer... what could go wrong?"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »
"sure I'm marrying a lawyer... what could go wrong?"

well, try getting divorced

Death on call

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
The part where he made the joke or the part where he circumvented the profanity blocker with the exclamation point?  Because I'm finding neither to be very original at all... in fact, the only thing less original I can think of is a lawyer being sarcastic.  Like when a lawyer is supposed to be on her day off and helping me watch the kids, but all she wants to do is argue about meaningless crap because she's got a trial coming up and I guess I'm nothing more than a speed bag to her.

Evidently, the real buckets of sh!t are those of us who thought at one point "sure I'm marrying a lawyer... what could go wrong?"
That was a pity "haha"-and a tongue-in-cheek sentence to follow.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »

11 total minutes for our bench, and it would have been less if Worthen hadn't fouled out. Did all of our reserves transfer after the season?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
well, try getting divorced

You're not just a pretty face, Keefe.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
Sorry to my lawyer friends but

http://m.qje.oxfordjournals.org/content/106/2/503.short

All else equal, the more lawyers a country has, the slower is economic growth (rent-seeking).

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »
Big East teams in Bilas's top 68:

12. Villanova
23. Creighton
35. Georgetown
40. Xavier
54. Butler
58. Marquette

Unranked: Providence, Seton Hall, St John's, DePaul

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 03:42:56 PM »
Big East teams in Bilas's top 68:

12. Villanova
23. Creighton
35. Georgetown
40. Xavier
54. Butler
58. Marquette

Unranked: Providence, Seton Hall, St John's, DePaul

A likely forecast of the future with interchangeability among the top 6.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 03:48:06 PM »
A likely forecast of the future with interchangeability among the top 6.

I'd agree. Unfortunately, only 4 will probably make the tournament this year. Maybe 5 some years

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
13-5 in the Big East.   9-0 at home, 4-5 on the road.   9-10 seed.   Jamil and Davante go nuts and MU gets to the second weekend.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.