[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU takes underdog role against UW-Madison  (Read 6322 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

mviale

• All American
Re: MU takes underdog role against UW-Madison
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:27:17 AM »
If anyone is due in this series over the last 4 years - look no further than #23.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Eye

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:06:56 AM »
I'm sorry; can't let this go. First time I've seen something of this ilk from Rosiak. Shouldn't you have to beat somebody in the top half of the tournament ONE TIME to be a Hall of Famer?

Edit: Competitive most of the way? They lost by 19.

2nd edit: Give me some numbers please to explain the deadly efficiency, high defensive rate and impressive free-throw line rate.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:11:08 AM by Eye »
GO WARRIORS!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:19:01 AM »
Hall of Fame? He is kidding, right? Maybe Division III Hall of Fame. If Bo's a Hall of Famer, I guess they should reserve a spot for Crean.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:22:44 AM »
The vegas line has yet to be posted for this game but it has to be a push or slight edge (i.e. no more than 2 pts) for the badgers.  #22 vs. #26; MU at home......We cannot be that much of an underdog, if at all.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:23:38 AM »
Hall of Fame? He is kidding, right? Maybe Division III Hall of Fame. If Bo's a Hall of Famer, I guess they should reserve a spot for Crean.

Bo has taken UW to the tourney I believe 10 years in a row, while winning I think 4 or 5 Big Ten titles.  He's a better coach than Tom Crean.  I have no idea what Gets you into the Hall of Fame for a coach, but there is no doubt he's one of the top coaches in the country.  

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:33 AM »
I'm sorry; can't let this go. First time I've seen something of this ilk from Rosiak. Shouldn't you have to beat somebody in the top half of the tournament ONE TIME to be a Hall of Famer?

Edit: Competitive most of the way? They lost by 19.

2nd edit: Give me some numbers please to explain the deadly efficiency, high defensive rate and impressive free-throw line rate.

Rosiak must have an anti-MU bias.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »
I was at the media availability (my article is on marquettehoops.com) and it was actually Buzz that was giving Bo Ryan the hall of fame caliber praise.  He was asked if he had ever written to bo ryan when he was younger and said no i never did but that probably speaks to my intelligence level because he has won multiple national championships.  Later on in the press conference he said he will never accomplish what Bo ryan has accomplished.  [Bo] has won multiple national championships. He is going to be a hall-of-fame coach. Averaging over 27 wins a year in his career.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:36:38 AM by YoungMUFan4 »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:30:39 AM »
Bo has taken UW to the tourney I believe 10 years in a row, while winning I think 4 or 5 Big Ten titles.  He's a better coach than Tom Crean.  I have no idea what Gets you into the Hall of Fame for a coach, but there is no doubt he's one of the top coaches in the country.  

Bo Ryan hasn't even been the coach at UW for 10 years, he started in 2001-2002.

jce

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »

He won four D3 national titles at Platteville.  Look on a map....Platteville, Wisconsin.  A nowhere program in a crappy little town.

He started the process of turning around UW-Milwaukee.  

At Madison, he has been to the Elite 8 once (losing to eventually champion North Carolina) and the Sweet 16 two other times.  

He may be a pompous self-promoter at a program we all hate, but he is a hell of a coach.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 08:37:19 AM »
Buzz was hyping up Bo more than anyone...dont blame rosiak

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »

He won four D3 national titles at Platteville.  Look on a map....Platteville, Wisconsin.  A nowhere program in a crappy little town.

At Madison, he has been to the Elite 8 once (losing to eventually champion North Carolina) and the Sweet 16 two other times.  

He may be a pompous self-promoter at a program we all hate, but he is a hell of a coach.

Let's not inflate Bo's record.

Elite Eight after all higher seeds in 2 games were upset
2 Sweet 16s where he was beaten by lower seeds

He is a good coach, but he is not clutch.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »
He is a fine, fine coach. But until he beats a higher seed in a tournament and takes his team to a Final Four, he's not a Division I Hall of Fame coach. Watch the final minute of MU-UW at the BC in Dwyane's second season. Final minute, game on the line, and Bo decides to let DWade go one-on-one against some poor stiff. It was embarrassing.
Bo is perfect where he is -- a perfect fit in a perfect conference for him.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »

Location means nothing in the lower division sports, especially when you are talking about the Wisconsin schools.  Year in and year out, the Wisconsin D3 schools are among the best in the country.  It's not just Platteville, Whitewater has won two D3 basketball championships, Stevens Point won back to back championships, Eau Claire made the title game fairly recently as well.

jce

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »

Let's not inflate Bo's record.

Elite Eight after all higher seeds in 2 games were upset
2 Sweet 16s where he was beaten by lower seeds

He is a good coach, but he is not clutch.

I'm not inflating anything...I simply stated what he has accomplished.  (By the way, Wisconsin lost to the #1 seed Kentucky in one of their Sweet 16 appearances.)

And to say he's not clutch is just silly.  He has won four conference titles and/or tournament titles in seven years.  He won four national championships.  He may not be Hall of Fame worthy, but he's a really good coach.

jce

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
Location means nothing in the lower division sports, especially when you are talking about the Wisconsin schools.  Year in and year out, the Wisconsin D3 schools are among the best in the country.  It's not just Platteville, Whitewater has won two D3 basketball championships, Stevens Point won back to back championships, Eau Claire made the title game fairly recently as well.

You are correct.  I was being a little bit snarky, but since Wisconsin is one of the few states where public universities play Division 3 ball, they do have advantages.  But Platteville really did nothing before, and hasn't done anything since Ryan left.

jce

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 09:30:19 AM »
By the way, you guys are making me break out in hives for actually having to defend Bo Ryan.  How can I enjoy tomorrow's game if I am all itchy??? 

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »
(By the way, Wisconsin lost to the #1 seed Kentucky in one of their Sweet 16 appearances.)

I seem to remember being at that game... Kentucky was really good that year, who'd they lose to again?

*cough triple double cough*

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »

I'm not inflating anything...I simply stated what he has accomplished.  (By the way, Wisconsin lost to the #1 seed Kentucky in one of their Sweet 16 appearances.)

And to say he's not clutch is just silly.  He has won four conference titles and/or tournament titles in seven years.  He won four national championships.  He may not be Hall of Fame worthy, but he's a really good coach.

Yeah, Bo the Great.  Did a magnificent job figuring out what to do with Estill in that game.  Based on the results of the next game (MU 83- KU 69) even the Tan One figured out how to stop Estill.  Do you still have nightmares about that one.

OK, so Bo is clutch in the Big 10/11.  He completely chokes in the NCAA D1 tourney.   DIII championships are not the same, as much as you rodents wish....

jce

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:02 AM »
Yeah, Bo the Great.  Did a magnificent job figuring out what to do with Estill in that game.  Based on the results of the next game (MU 83- KU 69) even the Tan One figured out how to stop Estill.  Do you still have nightmares about that one.

OK, so Bo is clutch in the Big 10/11.  He completely chokes in the NCAA D1 tourney.   DIII championships are not the same, as much as you rodents wish....

What the hell???

One of the things that drives me nuts about this place is that if you acknowledge any sort of accomplishment by UW you are assumed to be a Badger fan or a "rodent."  I went to MU, have MU basketball memorabilia all over my house, etc. etc. etc.  I don't have to prove my loyalties to you.  But I'm not going to disparage Ryan's record because he coaches on the other side of the court.

jce

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:39 AM »
I seem to remember being at that game... Kentucky was really good that year, who'd they lose to again?

*cough triple double cough*

Yep!!!  Wasn't it great!!!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 10:35:13 AM »
Screw the rodents and Bo. 

The bigger issue is, is it a good thing or a bad thing that MU views itself as the underdog in this game and in the Big East conference?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »
Screw the rodents and Bo. 

The bigger issue is, is it a good thing or a bad thing that MU views itself as the underdog in this game and in the Big East conference?

I personally think it is, especially James, as long as he doesn't get too into it, he always plays better with a chip on his shoulder. If i remember right after the Hughes confrontation last year, he stepped his game up a level. I think this team needs to have an us against the world mentality and they seem to play better. However, as long as they don't get too into the trash talk and try to do too much, which i have seen McNeal and James do at times.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »

What the hell???

One of the things that drives me nuts about this place is that if you acknowledge any sort of accomplishment by UW you are assumed to be a Badger fan or a "rodent."  I went to MU, have MU basketball memorabilia all over my house, etc. etc. etc.  I don't have to prove my loyalties to you.  But I'm not going to disparage Ryan's record because he coaches on the other side of the court.

My apologies...but....As an MU alum I will acknowledge that Bo is good coach, but you are spinning his accomplishments in a way that only Badger fans have previously.  Go Warriors. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »

And most gifted scenarios ever in the NCAA tournament.  You should go to Michigan State boards as they outline it very well.

He's had the benefit of playing in a Big Ten that is a shadow of it's former self.  He walked into a UW-Madison job coming off a Final Four and inheriting top 5 NBA pick Devin Harris, All Big Ten player Mike Wilkinson, etc.  He didn't even recruit those kids, they were there for him to inherit.

Is he a great coach?  Yes.  Has he been in the right place and definitely at the right time?  HELL YES.  Has he been to a Final Four with the big boys?  HELL NO.  Has he beaten ONE, just ONE better seed in the NCAA tournament to show off his coaching prowess.  Even an 8 seed?  HELL NO.  At some point I'd expect the coaching genius of his to be able to beat a team in the NCAAs that he wasn't supposed to.  Hell, even the incompetent Tom Crean pulled that off...twice.

And I don't think anyone is calling you a Badger lover but sometimes the love that comes from the press and the media for Bo is a bit hideous when compounded by attacks on our coaching staffs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:58:24 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

feedback