[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fulce tidbit from Rosiak Chat  (Read 4485 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Fulce tidbit from Rosiak Chat
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »
"Buzz Williams addressed the injuries after the Central Michigan game on Tuesday. It sounds as though Fulce's injury has actually gotten worse and Otule's has gotten better. Initially, Williams was describing Fulce's injury as a stress reaction in his kneecap. Now, he's describing it as Fulce having an actual split in the middle of the kneecap -- a very rare injury for which there's little known in the way of a timetable for recovery."

If indeed a split, I would be shocked to see him back this year. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Fulce tidbit from Rosiak Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »
ok, I don't want to start any crazy speculation, but would be even be eligible for a medical redshirt?

I believe he would, but I'm not up to date on all of the NCAA rules.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
i don't see why he wouldn't be eligible for a redshirt.  he hasn't played a game yet.  Devendorf played 10+ games last year and got a redshirt. 

don't understand if it's gotten worse why they haven't taken further measures... ie surgery, crutches, or straight immobilization.  letting the kid walk on it and shoot around, can't be helping it.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

JSwarriors08

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »
i don't see why he wouldn't be eligible for a redshirt.  he hasn't played a game yet.  Devendorf played 10+ games last year and got a redshirt. 

don't understand if it's gotten worse why they haven't taken further measures... ie surgery, crutches, or straight immobilization.  letting the kid walk on it and shoot around, can't be helping it.

I agree.  Seems like it would be pretty risky to have him bouncing around on it.  I am not intimately familiar with this kind of injury, but I'm sure it's one that is aggravated by stress and impact, such as would occur while walking or jumping.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
When Buzz was interviewed after the game on Tuesday he's said the main thing with Fulce's injury was that it is a pain issue.  That would imply to me that there is little chance of it getting worse if he plays, and it really just comes down to whether or not he can take the pain.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:32:15 PM by bma725 »

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »
There is plenty of contradictory information floating around. A few posters on another thread said Fulce is cleared to play. Others have said for sure by Dec. 16 (Tenn.). Buzz has been saying Dec. 28. Now this from Rosiak, saying it sppears to be worse. And, Fulce has been seen shooting prior to the Dec. 2 game. I have seen him in the pre-game player huddle, jumping in unison with his teammates. No crutches, etc. Seems to be walking fine. What in the wide, wide world of sports in going on around here??

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »
Can a person hop in circles much less walk with a split in the knee cap?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »
I sure hope Rosiak's wrong. Clearly we need more than what we have now inside. If we can't get much (or nothing) out of Fulce, then let's hope for home court in the first round of the NIT. Before everyone goes nuts, I'm saying IF Fulce can't play and contribute quite a bit. Going .500 in the BEast is no sure thing, and from what I've seen of the current group it may be a longshot. Get well Fulce!!!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »
Can a person hop in circles much less walk with a split in the knee cap?

Yes.  After my first post I did some research and there were all sorts of articles about athletes playing with split kneecaps.  For example, Andy Murray the tennis pro has had one since childhood and it doesn't seem to impact his ability to play(#4 in the world), but he does take weeks off because of the pain.

Having said that, if it really is a split kneecap then it appears it will not be something that will heal on it's own.  It seems you either have it for years and deal with pain, or you have surgery and miss several months at a time.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 02:12:56 PM »
I posted this in another thread...when he came out on tuesday for warm-ups he walked out with a limp in his step. Once he got moving it was less noticeable.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 02:30:08 PM »
this is not related to the knee, but it can be used as a great example...i have a permanently fractured vertebrae that i have had since i was born. i can play sports and do any physical activity i want, but it can get very very painful at times. but overall, i can play with it and play a whole season with the pain, but sometimes a couple days or a week off are needed. this may be similar to fulce's situation where if he can handle the pain then he can play.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »
nothing vicodin can't fix.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »
When I was about 14, I had a severe form of Osgood Schlatters disease where the knee tendon actually pulled parts of bone away from the top of my tibia.   The parts it pulled away were non-weight bearing so the Doc said you have a choice, 6 to 9 months of immobilization which will potentially heal it or play with the pain (for a couple of years because the bone kept re-breaking.)  I didn't want to miss soccer, so I chose pain. 

As my coach used to say, pain is just weakness leaving the body.  C'mon Fulcie, tough it out!  Wear protection on the knee so it doesn't get bumped and get in there and play!

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
Yes.  After my first post I did some research and there were all sorts of articles about athletes playing with split kneecaps.  For example, Andy Murray the tennis pro has had one since childhood and it doesn't seem to impact his ability to play(#4 in the world), but he does take weeks off because of the pain.

Having said that, if it really is a split kneecap then it appears it will not be something that will heal on it's own.  It seems you either have it for years and deal with pain, or you have surgery and miss several months at a time.

I think Buzz mentioned that it was good in the fact that it was split in the middle and not the side so yes, if he can deal with the pain he could probably begin playing this weekend. 

To downtown's point...I had Osgood as well and it was pretty painful at times when I played basketball but the fact of the matter is that it won't make it any worse if you use your knee in that situation and you may or may not improve if you rest it. 
As long as there is no real issue with making things worse I'm sure we'll See Joe real soon...and we need him!

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »
Last night I had an erection that lasted more than 4 hours.  I'm fine today. 

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »

Best post in quite some time - glad you're better now.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »
Updated---

Fulce and Otule injuries
By Todd Rosiak of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 4, 2008 1:27 p.m. 

Judging by the number of questions about the status of injured players Joe Fulce and Chris Otule in the chat I did today, I was remiss in not posting earlier what Buzz Williams had to say about each following the Central Michigan game on Tuesday.

So, without further ado, here it is:

"I think they went to the doctor (Monday). Chris can wear shoes for a couple hours a day; the rest of the time he's got to be in his boot. Joe took some shots tonight before the game, and pain will be our guide as it relates to both of those guys, to be honest with you.

"Joe has an injury I've never heard of. The middle of his kneecap is fractured. Like, it's split. So on the sides it's still together, but in the middle it's split. And that's a very rare problem, so pain will have to be our guide.

"Chris...most guys like Liam (McMorrow), most big guys break either of their outside metatarsals. Chris' was in the middle, which is a positive thing because it doesn't take as long to heal. But pain will be our guide for both of those guys."

To add to that, both players worked out at the Bradley Center prior to the game on Tuesday.

Both were getting pounded with the padded arm of strength and conditioning coach Todd Smith as they made moves around the basket, and both appeared to be moving OK. That obviously is a long way from playing in an actual game, but a good sign for MU nonetheless.

If I had to venture a guess, because of the seriousness and potential long-term ramifications of Fulce's injury, his return won't come until the team's medical staff is abolutely, positively certain the kneecap is either healed, or can't be damaged any further by playing. Otule's injury, although a fracture, is much more of the garden variety.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 04:03:20 PM »

did you call the hotline?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 04:12:43 PM »
did you call the hotline?

or apply a burnt out match to your wrist?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 07:50:08 PM »

Are you bragging or complaining? Did you seek the help of a doctor?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »

As one famous comedian suggests...pop a few more of those pills and head to Vegas, baby!

feedback