[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:24:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyshawn Taylor  (Read 11751 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Tyshawn Taylor
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Rocky---I agree 100%. Junior is going to be the best point guard we have had here in many, many years. The kid is the real deal.

yea we have seen 2 of the better pg's in MU's history so in the past 7 yrs so i hope you are right.

Travis was nasty and is in the NBA and Dom will end up in the top 3 in many statistical categories- heres to hoping Junior can come close to either

I just am weary about Junior because many are hyping him up and i am worried he wont live up to many people's expectations. As productive as Dominic can be, hes def not a fan favorite and people are looking to Junior to be amazing without realizing that James is MUCH better than many of us think

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 01:40:08 PM »
MU_B2002---Actually I do think before writing. Travis was a great college PG. It all depends on what you believe to be a great PG. Junior has the potential to be a great college PG. After seeing him play I think he has a chance to be one of the best ever MU.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
DJ would not make my top 5 all time MU PG's. He has had a nice career, but not even in the team photo for best in school history.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »
MU_B2002---Actually I do think before writing.

That's nice, but I wasn't the one that doubted you.   And I really hope he is better than the previous 2, because coupled with our other incoming guys that would equate to good things for MU basketball.  
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »
DJ would not make my top 5 all time MU PG's. He has had a nice career, but not even in the team photo for best in school history.

I'll go you one further, I preferred Cordell Henry's game.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »

Wow.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
Cordell Henry had a great, great senior year. I would take him over DJ any day of the week.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »
Cordell Henry had a great, great senior year. I would take him over DJ any day of the week.

How do you break a full court press??? Cordell Henry... it was fun to watch him run circles around people. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
I'm glad to hear you guys say that. I feel like Cordell is kind of a forgotten man in MU circles. There's so much talk about Tony Miller, Travis and now James. But he was definitely one of my favorite point guards. He didn't have even close to the hype DJ, but as a player was much more pleasing to the eye.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Ask Kentucky what it was like to guard Tony Miller. In my mind, Travis is the best point guard MU has ever had. If Junior is half the player TD was, we'll be fine.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »
I think Tony Miller is the most overrated PG in history. BUT--the game against Kentucky was one of the best I ever saw in person. Miller delivered the goods that day. Love Travis, but would be awfully hard to say he best ever. Couple of guys with their numbers in the rafters come to mind. Plus, the under appreciated Jimmy Boylan. Not saying he was one of the best, but sure knew his role and delivered the goods.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »

I disagree, and it's not even close.

DJ's numbers are better in almost every category, his athletic ability is better, he can actually go left, his defense is better. DJ is not a good shooter, but neither was Cordell.

Cordell had a great senior year and he was good... however, IMHO, DJ is much better.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »
Cordell was a really good player but I'll take DJ for my money.  

DJ has a 2.0 assist to turnover ratio while Cordell had only a 1.4.  DJ is also a better rebounder, has more steals, and would be considered by most to be a better defender while Cordell is better from beyond the arc and markedly better from the stripe (who isn't).  DJ also scored 3 points a game more than Cordell while being on a better team for most of his career.  

I'm not sure where you rank him, but those who say DJ isn't in the team picture among the great MU points guards are crazy.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »
My taking Cordell over DJ has to do with winning. Cordell appeared to me to have the killer instinct that I think DJ lacks. DJ has won some guys by himself, but not often. CH played with marginal talent and got it done. CH and Aaron Hutchins were guys that seemed to have ice water in their veins. DJ lacks that trait in my opinion.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »
Hutch and Cordell also looked like they were having fun out there. I cannot say the same of James, unless he's having a big game.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
My favorite CH moment was after a big shot, he made the "tearing your heart out motion" late in a big conference game.  I think it may have been against Cincy.  Can't remember if this was before or after the game where he got punched in the nuts.

By the way... He is still the man.

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/23212/448/item
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:05:21 PM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
My taking Cordell over DJ has to do with winning. Cordell appeared to me to have the killer instinct that I think DJ lacks. DJ has won some guys by himself, but not often. CH played with marginal talent and got it done. CH and Aaron Hutchins were guys that seemed to have ice water in their veins. DJ lacks that trait in my opinion.

What about DJ's game at Valpo?

He was unbelievable that night.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
@GYMBAR & REDWEBSTER

See @ Wisconsin, '07-'08 season.  Played stellar, stellar D, made some huge dishes, and stared down Hughes then ripped his heart out.  DJ gets an unfair shake from a lot of MU fans because he can't shoot, but he's a GREAT talent and far from selfish.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »
Nobody ever said James hasn't had good games. We just prefer Cordell's game. And if you want to see dominant, get some video of Aaron Hutchins. James was not the player Hutch was, statistics be damnned.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
I'll go you one further, I preferred Cordell Henry's game.

For the entire career?  I'd take DJ definitely in that department.  Cordell had one really good year.  DJ is a better passer, better defender, better rebounder IMO.  Definitely a better scorer (not shooter, mind you, but being able to go to the hole and score is done with greater ease by DJ then Cordell ever could).

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 04:52:51 PM »
Nobody ever said James hasn't had good games. We just prefer Cordell's game. And if you want to see dominant, get some video of Aaron Hutchins. James was not the player Hutch was, statistics be damnned.

I guess that's fair... but the idea the DJ doesn't have a killer instinct (brought up earlier in the thread) just isn't true.

He might not be a great shooter... but the kid can be a killer.

Remember at UofL Frosh. year? He made the running 3pter to send it to overtime.

The kid can play, he just gets a tough rap because his game has not improved at the rate most people would expect.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »

James also isn't the slacker Hutchins was, is a much better student then Hutch and a number of other things that shall not be repeated.

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 05:22:59 PM »
gotta throw my 2 cents in here...Cordell was great to watch in a ton of categories except he just could not go to the hoop with his left hand...he never seemed to develop this skill...not sure if that comes down to Deane and/or assistant coaches but he should have developed it at some point...I remember whenever he tried going or faking left, he didn't fool any defenders, at least if he had previously tried going left...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »
Not even a contest. Dean "Our Dream, Their Nightmare" Meminger was the Warriors' best point guard, ever.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"