[Today at 03:27:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 03:22:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jump Around...  (Read 11717 times)

robmufan

• All American
Re: Jump Around...
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »
I am blown away by all the people that have had problems with the intros, or songs we play, or things they do on the jumbo-tron.  I agree with PTM, who cares?  Did you buy your seats for the Jumbo Tron antics, or the game?

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
We always called Mr. Smith, "Jumping Man", not "Jump Around Guy". Regardless, aside from playing the game "Where's Freeway?"....Jumping Man has been the highlight of my Bradley Center experience when I attend the games.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 12:19:20 PM »
Leave RedWebster out of this. 

He's not the only one on this board that could be susceptible to this accusation.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »
We always called Mr. Smith, "Jumping Man", not "Jump Around Guy". Regardless, aside from playing the game "Where's Freeway?"....Jumping Man has been the highlight of my Bradley Center experience when I attend the games.

+1

My favorite things other than the game itself (in no particular order):
- Where's Freeway
- Mr. Smith's jumping as well as checking to see if he is there during the first half
- Kiss cam- i love the old couples who get a little frisky
- the "hey... you suck" cheer.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »
Jump around guy is hilarious.  and ftr, i for one had no idea that the song was associated with madison football and i don't think anyone else outside of wisconsin gives a rats ass either.   you going to throw a fit if indiana starts playing "cotton-eyed joe" at its games?

BrandonA

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »
+1

My favorite things other than the game itself (in no particular order):
- Where's Freeway
- Mr. Smith's jumping as well as checking to see if he is there during the first half
- Kiss cam- i love the old couples who get a little frisky
- the "hey... you suck" cheer.

Hold on, I was at another basketball game over thanksgiving and they did the "Hey... you suck" cheer.  should we be doing that one?

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 01:18:49 PM »
Jump around guy is hilarious.  and ftr, i for one had no idea that the song was associated with madison football and i don't think anyone else outside of wisconsin gives a rats ass either.   you going to throw a fit if indiana starts playing "cotton-eyed joe" at its games?

I too had no idea that had anything to do with Madison either until someone last year made the argument that we shouldn't be playing it at our games because of that.  That guy was an idiot. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
Jump around guy.  Awesome.  Period.  Period.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 01:46:18 PM »
The "Ron Burgundy of Milwaukee".  Awesome.  Extra special is the file footage of him jumping in different outfits interspersed with the live jumping action on the Jumbotron.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »
I too had no idea that had anything to do with Madison either until someone last year made the argument that we shouldn't be playing it at our games because of that.  That guy was an idiot. 

Not knowing doesn't mean it isn't so.  A simple google search of Jump Around leads to numerous rodent related links. 

I recognize the song isn't going anywhere, but pretending that UW hasn't established part of their football game experience around that song, long before we had Jumping Man, is simply naive.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 02:08:58 PM »
Not knowing doesn't mean it isn't so.  A simple google search of Jump Around leads to numerous rodent related links. 

I recognize the song isn't going anywhere, but pretending that UW hasn't established part of their football game experience around that song, long before we had Jumping Man, is simply naive.

I suspect most Marquette basketball fans, save some that live in Wisconsin, don't know and don't care about the UW football game experience.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
I suspect most Marquette basketball fans, save some that live in Wisconsin, don't know and don't care about the UW football game experience.

+ A Billion

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
Based on that, maybe the band can come out and "Dot an I" before the game, or we can have a "Play Like Champions" plaque in our locker room.

Pardner

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 02:15:51 PM »
I hate Santa Claus  ;)

LON

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
Did they even have a team this year?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:20:24 PM by LancesOtherNut »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
Based on that, maybe the band can come out and "Dot an I" before the game, or we can have a "Play Like Champions" plaque in our locker room.

Students jumping around to a hip-hop tune that was released in the 90s is exactly the same as those traditions.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
Students jumping around to a hip-hop tune that was released in the 90s is exactly the same as those traditions.

Everlast and House of Pain had that figured from the get go.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »
To get way off topic....

I am suprised to learn the "Play Like Champions" sign tradition did not start until 1986.

The dotting of the I started in 1937.

Not that anybody cares.

Now back to discussing the virtues of a classic ESPN "Jock Jam".
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

nola03

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »

Co-sign.

Also, the song is played at nearly every arena around the country during nearly any sporting event. One stadium doesn't own it.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
Co-sign.

Also, the song is played at nearly every arena around the country during nearly any sporting event. One stadium doesn't own it.

+1. 

I really don't see why people are worried about this.  Its a pretty common song that gets played pretty much at any sports event.  But then again, I grew up and live in St. Louis and I don't know anyone who went to UW. 

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »
It is certainly possible that my growing up in WI and having to listen to Badger fans stake claim to everything has clouded my judgment.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
it is my guess that 95% of this board and 99.9% of the non wisconsin people had absolutely no idea UW madison did the jump around song.  On top of not knowing , who cares as it is a common event at almost every sporting event. 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »
It is certainly possible that my growing up in WI and having to listen to Badger fans stake claim to everything has clouded my judgment.

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I understand where you're coming from. I typically won't jump around at Packer games or participate in the many variations of the wave sometimes seen at Brewer games. It's not so much a conscious decision as it is a natural aversion to anything that might even remotely remind me of Moscow.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
So when people "Jump Around" during the song "Jump Around" at places other than Camp Randall Stadium it's some form of plagiarism? Give me a break. Don't be so simple.

Silky

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »
How about Crazytrain by a fat bassist in the band? That will stir it up!

feedback