[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Like in years past: Weak big men, weak coaching  (Read 3056 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Like in years past: Weak big men, weak coaching
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:30:21 AM »
We have solid guards, yes, but as has become a Marquette tradition, we are extremely weak up front. A few rebounds does not qualify a forward or center as a force underneath.

If we are to rely almost exclusively on our guards and small forwards, this will be one tough season.

This Marquette team should not be so disorganized and unprepared by this point. The team that has taken the court so far this season looks nothing like a Top 25 -- actually, Top 20 -- team. Every team Marquette has played or will play anytime soon, including the University of Detroit Mercy tonight, is fully confident it can beat MU.

In his post-game interview last night, Coach Crean admitted to his team’s numerous shortcomings. What have he, his coaches and his players been working on for the past eight months?

theodoc

• Walk-On
Re: Like in years past: Weak big men, weak coaching
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »
you've never coached before have you?  try it some time...you'll be amazed by the number of idiots that won't hesitate to share with you their expert opinions.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
My mistake
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:31:20 AM »
I thought this was a site where people offer their observations on and opinions about dear old Marquette University and its basketball team. Then others respond by offering their observations and opinions.

Apparently, theodoc would prefer people keep their idiotic opinions to themselves so we could all use this space to -- uhhhhh -- call one another names.

Yes, theodoc, I have coached -- kids’ teams in two sports. No, I have not coached a big-time, collegiate basketball team that is being heralded this season as one of the nation’s best.

Next time you see Coach Crean, pass along my apologies for caring a lot about the team he coaches and for having concerns about some of his methods.

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:18:48 AM »
I agree that coaching is the biggest problem.

If Marquette had played pressure defense the whole game, it would have been a blow out. When they finally did press, the last five minutes of regulation, they caught up immediately. Idaho St. didn't get a good shot off the last five minutes of the game.

Then in overtime they stopped pressing, and should have lost, if not for some lucky calls.

Marquette looks like they have never practiced against a zone defense. With all their quickness and ability to drive, they refuse to penetrate in the middle of the zone.

Crean needs to get an experienced assistant coach that is an offensive coach. Every year, no matter the personnel (except for Wade years), MU has startling problems at times generating offense.

If they don't fix the zone offense, it's going be a long year.
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »
I don't know the rules and regs to when and how much a team can practice after the season ends and during the summer season but I believe the coaches provide instructions and recommendations on what the players should try to improve on during the off season.  I.e. Dom needed to work on his outside shooting and free throws, etc.  I do believe that the time the coaching staff can spend with the players from when the season ends to when midnight madness starts is fairly limited.  So I believe the onus on working on a player's weaknesses falls on the player during this time period.  Now, since midnight madness I believe TC was working mainly on team defense and creating an up-tempo atmosphere and probably less on the offensive end.  I have to believe that the 20 second shot clock during practices has contributed to our offensive woes.  

And all this talk about a top 20 team this and a top 20 team that.   It was not the team's or coaches fault that journalists and coaches ranked them this high.  I bet if you would have talked to TC he would not have had us in the top 40 at this point in time.  They are a young team, they did lose a big contributer in Novak from last year, there does seem to be a lack of leadership (definitely transfer related) and they are working on a new offensive scheme.  That is a lot to juggle early on and they will struggle often during the next month or so.  It seems like we were all starry eyed with our high rankings when any level headed individual would have realized that we have a lot of work to do before we can achieve the results that our talent dictates we should achieve.  You can include me in that group as well.  I do believe we will get better, much better unlike some posters here who are acting like we are going to suck all year long.

feedback