[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coaching Carousel 2017  (Read 101838 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Coaching Carousel 2017
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »

Por ejemplo?

Mismanagement of their endowment and some financial shadiness and irregularities behind the scenes.  They are being independently audited and it could be fairly bad.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
The fact that it is so quiet out of IU leads me to believe that not only is their candidate still coaching, but that coach may already have agreed to come.

Alford?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »
Alford?

Could be.  I don't know anything.  But this much silence in a coaching search is odd.  You want to name someone ASAP to deal with recruiting.  Look what Illinois did.

And I don't think the AD should be sitting around and waiting for someone to be done before talking to him.  Glass should have dozens of connections with Alford, Holtmann and Mack.  Use them. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
Could be.  I don't know anything.  But this much silence in a coaching search is odd.  You want to name someone ASAP to deal with recruiting.  Look what Illinois did.

And I don't think the AD should be sitting around and waiting for someone to be done before talking to him.  Glass should have dozens of connections with Alford, Holtmann and Mack.  Use them.

Hopefully Alford. Hoping Holtmann and Mack stay put.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:19:06 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »
The fact that it is so quiet out of IU leads me to believe that not only is their candidate still coaching, but that coach may already have agreed to come.

Dan Dakich said on Pardon My take yesterday that he's pretty confident it's Alford, not in a cocky It's Indiana Way but mostly due to how quiet it is.

Louisville has FAR bigger problems than just their athletics.  Keep an eye on that University as a whole.  Some stuff is coming to the surface.

Former player (and former Buck) Junior Bridgeman stepped down from their BOT in Feb.  He is one of the most successful QSR & Fast Casual operators in the US and recently boought 2-3 Coca-Cola bottling companies.  I would imagine he saw smoke.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2017/02/16/u-l-trustee-junior-bridgeman-resigns/98005532/
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »
Wasn't the Yum! Center a financial disaster in its first year or two? Not sure if it's improved, but I do recall that causing financial issues.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
Wasn't the Yum! Center a financial disaster in its first year or two? Not sure if it's improved, but I do recall that causing financial issues.

This is what he is referring to.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/12/15/state-audit-criticizes-university-louisvilles-relationship-foundation

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
 Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
UMass has hired Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey, sources told ESPN.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
If Crean is actually interested in schools like Illinois or LSU, I think he could have some trouble convincing them (and their fanbases) that he's actually excited about the opportunity. This is, after all, the same guy who exclaimed, "It's Indiana!" As if Bloomington was college basketball nirvana.

I'm not sure he'll be satisfied with any coaching job that's seen as a step down at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes the TV analyst/commentator route, like Steve Lavin after he was fired from UCLA.
At least if Crean went to illinois, he could keep the I 4 moniker.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
Alford?
Thinking alford is a lock for I 4.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2017, 02:46:33 PM »
Thinking alford is a lock for I 4.

Took a peek at the IU boards this morning. None of them seem to want him.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
Dan Dakich said on Pardon My take yesterday that he's pretty confident it's Alford, not in a cocky It's Indiana Way but mostly due to how quiet it is.

Former player (and former Buck) Junior Bridgeman stepped down from their BOT in Feb.  He is one of the most successful QSR & Fast Casual operators in the US and recently boought 2-3 Coca-Cola bottling companies.  I would imagine he saw smoke.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2017/02/16/u-l-trustee-junior-bridgeman-resigns/98005532/
Why would Alford go there? Right now they are a National championship contender and next season he has another great class coming in.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2017, 02:53:25 PM »
Why would Alford go there? Right now they are a National championship contender and next season he has another great class coming in.

He is an Indiana guy, but yah, I totally agree.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
He is an Indiana guy, but yah, I totally agree.
I think if TJ Leaf returns for next season the could be a contender next season again. Weird, if i was him and was from indiana, I would stay at UCLA in a heartbeat. Considering how good the team will be and is already

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
I think if TJ Leaf returns for next season the could be a contender next season again. Weird, if i was him and was from indiana, I would stay at UCLA in a heartbeat. Considering how good the team will be and is already

Ok that's the logical angle but imagine the emotional angle. If you were a good coach and Marquette was hurting bad wouldn't there be a huge emotional pull for you to bring us some glory?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
Ok that's the logical angle but imagine the emotional angle. If you were a good coach and Marquette was hurting bad wouldn't there be a huge emotional pull for you to bring us some glory?
Thats true, but i mean would he really want to have sort of rebuild, even though he already has success? I totally agree with you though

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »
Thats true, but i mean would he really want to have sort of rebuild, even though he already has success? I totally agree with you though

Buzz did it. He's a kook, though.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »

Alford won six games in conference last year. Was asked, and acquiesced, to give one year back on his contract to the University.

This season is outstanding but they are losing the key cog. Even with talented pieces returning it's not a foolproof situation in Westwood and Alford didn't exactly have March success as the head man of Iowa.

If I was hiring at Indiana, I'd steer clear of the emotions with Alford and look elsewhere.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 21, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »
There's no "rebuild" needed at IU.  Dozens of coaches could have them in the NCAA next season.  The issue is when can you have them in the Final Four.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #246 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Point is Alford at Indiana becomes a really easy job for him.  The guy is a legend in the state and was the star on IUs last championship team.  He knows most of the coaches in tge state as he played with or against many of them.  His father, who has been one of his assistants, is just as well know as a HS coaching legend in the state.
 At IU Alford could sign equally good classes as he could at UCLA.
Creans ultimate undoing at IU was his absolute inability to sign any instate talent, shutout in a veritable gold mine.  Hoosier high school coaches deemed him a bad coach and a weirdo too. 
There are 5 top 50 recruits from Indiana this year.  That is like 5 Joey Hausers in Indiana this year and Crean signed zero.  There are typically multi McDonalds all americans every year and many more top 50 -100 kids. Most grew up in Indiana gear, yet look at the rosters at michigan, notre dame, michigan state, xavier, virginia etc.  they are pouring out of the state.   HS and AAu coaches are telling their players not to go there.
Alford will get these kids, just as Knight did and as Crean did when he was new.  In fact, the top recruit in Indiana is commited to UCLA.   With talent like that his job gets much easier. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »
Took a peek at the IU boards this morning. None of them seem to want him.

That was my experience the last couple of times the job was open. I assumed Indiana fans would lust for Alford, but I assumed wrong. I don't know if it was a majority who didn't want anything to do with him, but I was surprised by how many didn't want him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #248 on: March 21, 2017, 04:17:06 PM »

Quite honestly, unless what you have is absolute crap, and I don't think Crean was absolute crap, you don't change coaches unless you have a pretty good idea of who you want and that the feeling is reciprocal.  Crean did a good job for Indiana.  Maybe not what they wanted, but unless you are certain you can do better you don't dump him. 

And no, I am not a Crean lover by any stretch.  Appreciate what he did for us and, but yeah.  The guy is a slimy.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
That was my experience the last couple of times the job was open. I assumed Indiana fans would lust for Alford, but I assumed wrong. I don't know if it was a majority who didn't want anything to do with him, but I was surprised by how many didn't want him.

I think many are turned off by his handling of the Pierre Pierce saga, for good reason.  Zero self-awareness from Alford for years until his controversial beginning post-hire at UCLA forced him and the AD to come out with written statements on the matter.