[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85237 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #775 on: May 20, 2021, 03:44:01 PM »
Chili, you are better than this.
Assumes facts not in evidence
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #776 on: May 20, 2021, 03:46:16 PM »
I wouldn't say they never enjoy it. These two seemed to take some glee in roughing up a 73-year-old woman.

Two former Colorado police officers face charges after they violently arrested a 73-year-old woman with dementia last summer—and then laughed while watching gruesome body-cam footage of the incident back at the police station.

Surveillance footage released last month revealed that after the arrest—in which Hopp tackled Garner to the ground and handcuffed her against his cruiser—the officers went back to the station and watched their body-cam footage of the incident as Garner sat in a cell for hours.
“Ready for the pop?” Hopp said to Jalali and other officers as they gathered to watch. “What popped?” another officer asked.
“I think it was her shoulder,” Hopp replied, before later adding: “I can’t believe I threw a 73-year-old on the ground.”

“It’s like live TV... Body-cams are my favorite thing to watch, I could watch livestream body-cams all day,” Jalali said in the footage.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ex-loveland-officers-austin-hopp-daria-jalali-charged-for-karen-garner-arrest

Oh there are certainly instances, without a doubt.  Its grotesque.  But an overall characterization that police carry out excess force, or racial profiling, or extrajudicial killings cause they "enjoy" is a exaggeration and incorrect characterization.   Thats all im saying

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #777 on: May 20, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
Chili, you are better than this.

I gotta be honest .. with the murder rate at a 25 year peak, I am finding that argument more compelling each day.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #778 on: May 20, 2021, 04:02:00 PM »
I gotta be honest .. with the murder rate at a 25 year peak, I am finding that argument more compelling each day.

What argument?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #779 on: May 20, 2021, 04:11:13 PM »

And what seems to be the factor that separates the US from other first world countries?

Could it be, I dunno... guns?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #780 on: May 20, 2021, 04:12:59 PM »
Oh there are certainly instances, without a doubt.  Its grotesque.  But an overall characterization that police carry out excess force, or racial profiling, or extrajudicial killings cause they "enjoy" is a exaggeration and incorrect characterization.   Thats all im saying

I agree with this Wags. I never said "all" cops enjoy engaging in awful behavior. I would venture to say that most cops are as appalled by this stuff as I am.

But until they speak up,.......

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #781 on: May 20, 2021, 04:38:57 PM »

We agree.
I used to interact with cops daily in my previous position and the great majority are good people I got along with very well.
But a too-large minority suck as humans. Just not pleasant people. I don't know if it's the job that turns them that way, or the job that attracts people like that, but it's more than "a few bad apples."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #782 on: May 20, 2021, 04:41:48 PM »
And what seems to be the factor that separates the US from other first world countries?

C'mon Hards, tons of people get killed in Sweden by stray knife fire and in Austrailia by mass clubbings.
Guns don't kill people, amirite?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #783 on: May 20, 2021, 06:19:28 PM »
C'mon Hards, tons of people get killed in Sweden by stray knife fire and in Austrailia by mass clubbings.
Guns don't kill people, amirite?

Absolutely. Good guys with guns keep us all safe.  ::)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #784 on: May 20, 2021, 06:23:30 PM »
So you seem to be equating cops with gang members. I finally found something that I can agree with you on.

But, your point seems to be that since some blacks commit terrible acts, police should be able to kill other blacks at will.

Wrong.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #785 on: May 20, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »

no

really lazy, over simplistic, partisan conclusion

bad people, drug abuse, gang violence, black on black crime, mental health, prison reform

it's not as simple as guns

law abiding people do not abuse guns.  there are probably more LEGAL guns outside of milwaukee county, yet way fewer murders by guns.  same applies to cook county etc etc

don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #786 on: May 20, 2021, 07:52:33 PM »
no

bad people, drug abuse, gang violence, black on black crime, mental health, prison reform

Bad people, drug abuse, gangs and mental health exist in most every other country. 

Not sure what "prison reform" means because US has less prison reform than most countries, so if you are saying we need more, I would agree with you.

Black on black crime is just you being "not-racist-but-being-kinda-racist" again.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #787 on: May 21, 2021, 06:09:38 AM »
no

law abiding people do not abuse guns.  there are probably more LEGAL guns outside of milwaukee county, yet way fewer murders by guns.  same applies to cook county etc etc

I don't need to address this stupidity because I've done it time and time again.  You can pretend like we don't have a gun problem in the US but the statistics are glaring and clearly show otherwise.

Enjoy the delusion you call life.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #788 on: May 21, 2021, 07:30:06 AM »
no

Mere ignorance isn't enough. Now you have to intentionally, and racistly, come up with excuses to avoid the obvious conclusion.

All the other countries in the world sure are lucky they don't have "bad people"

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #789 on: May 22, 2021, 02:57:49 PM »
A year after George Floyd’s murder at the hands of a white police officer sparked global protests and a racial reckoning, a majority of Americans say racism and police violence are serious problems facing the nation. Yet relatively few believe attention in the past year to the issues has led to positive change.

A poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research shows Americans are more likely than they were before Floyd’s death to say that police violence is a serious problem and about half think police who cause harm on the job are treated too leniently by the justice system. The poll also found that about 6 in 10 Americans say racism in the United States is a very or extremely serious problem; it’s similar to the percentage that said the same thing one year ago.

But about half of Americans, including about 6 in 10 Black Americans, say Derek Chauvin conviction of Floyd’s murder has not changed their level of confidence in the criminal justice system. About one-third say their confidence increased. Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer, was convicted in April on state charges of murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death. A federal grand jury indicted Chauvin and three other former Minneapolis police officers involved in Floyd’s arrest and death after the poll was conducted.

“Racism is a core feature of American life and it dominates certain relationships between African Americans and white Americans in ways that I don’t see how they’re going to change in the near or distant future,” said Kyle T. Mays, assistant professor in African American Studies and American Indian Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles.

AP-NORC polling showed a shift in views of police violence and injustice toward Black Americans last June, just weeks after Floyd’s killing. In 2019, just 36% of Americans called police violence an extremely or very serious problem. After Floyd was killed, that number increased to 48%, and 45% say so now. About 6 in 10 say police are more likely to use deadly force against a Black person than against a white person.

At 77%, the overwhelming majority of Black Americans say police violence is a very serious problem, compared with 36% of white Americans. Among white Americans, the percentage saying police violence is not a serious problem increased from 26% last June to 36% now; that’s roughly the same percentage who said so in 2019, before Floyd’s killing.

The partisan gap in views of police violence as a serious problem has also widened since last June. Among Democrats, about 7 in 10 say police violence is a very serious problem. Among Republicans, 58% say it is not a serious problem, compared with 44% last June.

Georgia resident Linda R. Curtis, who was a police officer for 24 years, believes police misconduct is a serious issue, partly because of problematic behavior she witnessed throughout her career. Despite her history within law enforcement, as a Black woman, she worries about her family’s safety.

“When police see me, they don’t say, ‘Oh, this is a retired police officer,’ or that my other half is a retired firefighter or that my two children are sons of a retired police officer and firefighter,” Curtis said. “They just see two Black men and an opportunity. I’ve always taught my sons how to respond when they’re stopped because of what I saw in my own ranks.”

A majority of Americans continue to support sweeping changes to the criminal justice system, including 25% who think it needs a complete overhaul and 43% that it needs major changes. An additional 27% support minor changes, while just 4% think no changes are needed. Black Americans are most likely to call for the largest changes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #790 on: June 03, 2021, 09:33:49 AM »
Chauvin's lawyers are seeking probation because "it's a broken system."

Perfect.

They're saying: "There is systemic racism in law enforcement, so of course our client brutally murdered a Black man."

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #791 on: June 03, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »
What argument?

I was looking forward to hilltopper's answer, too bad.

My assumption is something along the lines of "this is what happens when you defund the police".

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #792 on: June 03, 2021, 12:40:58 PM »
I was looking forward to hilltopper's answer, too bad.

My assumption is something along the lines of "this is what happens when you defund the police".

Not about defund the police .. My comments were about this post: 
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=61896.msg1350839#msg1350839

Former MKE police chief Flynn summarizing:

https://youtu.be/T7MAO7McNKE?t=70

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #793 on: June 04, 2021, 07:06:06 PM »
Chauvin's lawyers are seeking probation because "it's a broken system."

Perfect.

They're saying: "There is systemic racism in law enforcement, so of course our client brutally murdered a Black man."

We all acknowledge what chauvin did was brutally wrong but this New York MD needs a little psychiatry help herself  she was invited by Yale university to what?  Help?  This helps no one

'I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step. Like I did the world a f**king favor,' Khilanani said during the talk.

If this lady’s specialty is treating race related issues, her license needs to be taken away.  This does no one any good.  What if she substituted African American or Asian for “white” ?  Not cool. There are better ways to discuss race relations and I would expect better from an MD and from yale.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9652483/Doctor-gave-Yale-talk-called-Psychopathic-Problem-White-Mind.html

don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #794 on: June 04, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »
We all acknowledge what chauvin did was brutally wrong but this New York MD needs a little psychiatry help herself  she was invited by Yale university to what?  Help?  This helps no one

'I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step. Like I did the world a f**king favor,' Khilanani said during the talk.

If this lady’s specialty is treating race related issues, her license needs to be taken away.  This does no one any good.  What if she substituted African American or Asian for “white” ?  Not cool. There are better ways to discuss race relations and I would expect better from an MD and from yale.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9652483/Doctor-gave-Yale-talk-called-Psychopathic-Problem-White-Mind.html

Did you have the same impression of the MD that believes in demon sperm, among other things?

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #795 on: June 05, 2021, 02:16:41 AM »
https://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article251867448.html

How many armed police officers does it take to arrest a man without killing him and injuring one of their own in the process?

Totally unprepared. What a joke

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #796 on: June 05, 2021, 09:05:28 AM »
https://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article251867448.html

How many armed police officers does it take to arrest a man without killing him and injuring one of their own in the process?

Totally unprepared. What a joke

I think you're leaving out the part that the man was armed, and shot the police officer first.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #797 on: June 05, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »
We all acknowledge what chauvin did was brutally wrong

But if it hadn't been recorded, you never would have believed it.

Meanwhile ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/04/jim-garrison-resign-veteran-mic-cut-memorial-day/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F333b2b5%2F60bb98e69d2fdae302709c17%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F13%2F70%2F60bb98e69d2fdae302709c17

The head of an American Legion post in Ohio stepped down after he cut a veteran’s microphone during a speech Monday referencing how Black people organized the earliest Memorial Day commemoration on record, according to the veterans group.

Jim Garrison resigned after he was asked by Legion officials, the American Legion Department of Ohio said in a statement Friday. The veterans group said Garrison and Cindy Suchan, chair of the Memorial Day parade committee and president of the Hudson American Legion Auxiliary, decided to “censor” retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter in a “premeditated” move. Kemter shared his Memorial Day speech in advance with Suchan, who asked him to remove a part of his speech, and he didn’t, according to the department.

“They knew exactly when to turn the volume down and when to turn it back up,” the statement said.

As a vet spoke about Memorial Day’s roots in Black history, his mic was cut. It was no accident.

“The American Legion Department of Ohio does not hold space for members, veterans, or families of veterans who believe that censoring black history is acceptable behavior,” it also said.

Why do so many white folks want to cancel the truth about Black people? Why are red states so desperate to keep the truth hidden about the way this country treated Black people for 400 years that they are trying to make it illegal to teach it? Why are so many white people so afraid about admitting that Black lives haven't mattered in America that they respond "all lives matter" when it's mentioned? Heck, believe it or not, some white folks even take their white fear and white victimhood so far that they include "ALM" in their screen names on sports chat sites!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #798 on: June 05, 2021, 02:37:08 PM »
Yay this is getting locked too! 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #799 on: June 05, 2021, 03:50:48 PM »
But if it hadn't been recorded, you never would have believed it.

Meanwhile ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/04/jim-garrison-resign-veteran-mic-cut-memorial-day/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F333b2b5%2F60bb98e69d2fdae302709c17%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F13%2F70%2F60bb98e69d2fdae302709c17

The head of an American Legion post in Ohio stepped down after he cut a veteran’s microphone during a speech Monday referencing how Black people organized the earliest Memorial Day commemoration on record, according to the veterans group.

Jim Garrison resigned after he was asked by Legion officials, the American Legion Department of Ohio said in a statement Friday. The veterans group said Garrison and Cindy Suchan, chair of the Memorial Day parade committee and president of the Hudson American Legion Auxiliary, decided to “censor” retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter in a “premeditated” move. Kemter shared his Memorial Day speech in advance with Suchan, who asked him to remove a part of his speech, and he didn’t, according to the department.

“They knew exactly when to turn the volume down and when to turn it back up,” the statement said.

As a vet spoke about Memorial Day’s roots in Black history, his mic was cut. It was no accident.

“The American Legion Department of Ohio does not hold space for members, veterans, or families of veterans who believe that censoring black history is acceptable behavior,” it also said.

Why do so many white folks want to cancel the truth about Black people? Why are red states so desperate to keep the truth hidden about the way this country treated Black people for 400 years that they are trying to make it illegal to teach it? Why are so many white people so afraid about admitting that Black lives haven't mattered in America that they respond "all lives matter" when it's mentioned? Heck, believe it or not, some white folks even take their white fear and white victimhood so far that they include "ALM" in their screen names on sports chat sites!
And this has something to do about a black man getting killed by police because........
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

feedback