[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85247 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #675 on: April 25, 2021, 10:41:28 AM »
Right, The Gospel According to Woke Liberals. 

Nope. The Bible. Read it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #676 on: April 25, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »
So anyways how about this police shooting? Seems to be a case that states police need to be less jumpy?

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/northern-virginia/virginia-man-isaiah-brown-shot-by-sheriffs-deputy-after-calling-911-for-help/2649178/
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #677 on: April 25, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »
Just so I understand your point of view:   If you say "ALM" or something to deflect attention from the literal phrase "Black Lives Matter" it is problematic and or racist like many have stated on this thread?  However, if you criticize the BLM organization that may in fact not be a problem or racist?  I just want to be clear on your point here. Ty.

Black Lives Matter is a “liberal phrase?”

lolololol..

What a joke some of you guys are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #678 on: April 25, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
One of Jaslyn Adams murderers was apprehended.  But the race baiters, BLM,  and the woke crowd won’t touch this story no matter how common, sick, and depraved it is. 

https://www.daily-journal.com/opinion/jackson-wheres-the-spectacle-for-jaslyn-adams/article_efb144b6-a41d-11eb-ab27-3729a8344cdf.html

False equivalency. Gang violence is a very real issue, that issue is not relevant to police issues.
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #679 on: April 25, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »
False equivalency. Gang violence is a very real issue, that issue is not relevant to police issues.

Agreed.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #680 on: April 25, 2021, 11:05:55 AM »

It’s completely relevant because the narrative being pushed endlessly is racist police officers killing blacks without justification, when the real tragedy in black communities is the gang culture being the cancer and perpetrator of taking black lives too young far too commonly.  Anything that distracts from the racist police narrative is taboo to discuss, debate, and spotlight. 

So while the false narrative of racist police practices continues, the plague affecting black communities will never be addressed and therefore never improve.  The real racism going on. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #681 on: April 25, 2021, 11:10:44 AM »
Both are tragedies.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #682 on: April 25, 2021, 11:17:25 AM »
Black Lives Matter is a “liberal phrase?”

lolololol..

What a joke some of you guys are.

I think he said “literal” not “liberal”.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #683 on: April 25, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
It’s completely relevant because the narrative being pushed endlessly is racist police officers killing blacks without justification, when the real tragedy in black communities is the gang culture being the cancer and perpetrator of taking black lives too young far too commonly.  Anything that distracts from the racist police narrative is taboo to discuss, debate, and spotlight. 

So while the false narrative of racist police practices continues, the plague affecting black communities will never be addressed and therefore never improve.  The real racism going on.

Racist police policies is one of the primary reasons many inner-city gangs exist and continue to be a scourge.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #684 on: April 25, 2021, 11:29:11 AM »

Why can there can only be one tragedy?

If I want to take on gang violence who do I call? The police. But if there's a real chance the police mistake you for a threat and attack you are you going to have them on speed dial? Of course not. That then allows gang violence to continue. If the police issue gets fixed up then locals may be willing to confront gang violence with police support.

They might be interlinked but police shootings are not comparable to gang violence. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #685 on: April 25, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
I am intolerant of bigotryanyone who doesn’t agree with me. Sue me.
FIFY.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #686 on: April 25, 2021, 12:28:31 PM »
Guys running in here to save rocket like he hasn't been outed as a bigoted scumbag in dozens of other threads.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #687 on: April 25, 2021, 12:49:43 PM »
I once again will speak out in defense of how hard it is to be a cop in this country.     Accused of racism by people of color.   Accused of being the attack dogs of a corrupt government by the boogaloo bois.  If the officer is of color, being accused of being an affirmative action hire or an uncle Tom.    Accused of (gasp) unionism and told their pensions are drains on society.     Told their responses are too slow, inappropriate, over the top, too quick to judgement.     It genuinely sucks to be a cop.    The competing criticisms are wretched.
The actions of a few reflecting on the many and causing reflexive painting with an overly broad brush.   

The only thing that comes close is being a public school teacher.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #688 on: April 25, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »
I am curious on how many on here have actually had conversations with the black community over BLM, thoughts on police and general feelings on race issues. I am nosy and often engage black friends on the topic and the responses are always well thought and interesting. Now, before any idiot jumps in and assumes that my black friends all fall into a certain economic group I want to state clearly that 90% of my friendships are with people I see at the health club or via work. I love candid conversations and truly do care and listen to people's thoughts.

Like most things in the world today, I try and take the top 10-20% and bottom 10-20% of the kooks out of my thought process. Over the past couple of years I have finally learned that I cannot stand kooks that are extreme, regardless of their beliefs. I have avoided long time friends because IMO they have become whack jobs and zealots for a cause.

All that said, I seldom go a day without interaction (conversation) with a black person and my experience in conversation is the consensus say that BLM does not speak for them and have been offended by the white supporters that speak on their behalf. Would add that the consensus are more disgusted with the black on black crime than they are with the police issues. Of course the Minneapolis thing was horrible and they were disgusted by it. One friend told me he is more concerned about a loved one getting hit by a car (carjacking, police chase, etc.) than he is concerned about them being injured/killed by the police.

I don't get my nose out of joint with the BLM movement, nor do I get my nose out of joint when someone says all lives matter. Fact is, all lives do matter. I said it yesterday, I think blacks have a crapload of issues to be mad about and bad cops would not be number one.

Lastly, it is funny but a number of my liberal leaning friends made comments over the past week that confirmed my belief that we all have bias, even the biggest talkers. Bias is real, but I believe that most of mankind is good and flat out racism is reserved for the fringe kooks of any group. I don't think it is wrong to want police reform and I believe you can also care equally about the need to end black on black violence. Honestly, any effort (time or money) that I allocate to fix the problem goes to making the inner city a safer and better place. The future of a stable America starts with an improved inner city, not weeding out 3-5% (just picked a number) of ass hole cops, IMO.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #689 on: April 25, 2021, 12:54:56 PM »
I think he said “literal” not “liberal”.

I think he wrote literal as well.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #690 on: April 25, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »
@Toure: If “All Lives Matter” was real then ALM people would be involved in every human rights struggle. Rather than none.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #691 on: April 25, 2021, 01:36:14 PM »
I am curious on how many on here have actually had conversations with the black community over BLM, thoughts on police and general feelings on race issues. I am nosy and often engage black friends on the topic and the responses are always well thought and interesting. Now, before any idiot jumps in and assumes that my black friends all fall into a certain economic group I want to state clearly that 90% of my friendships are with people I see at the health club or via work. I love candid conversations and truly do care and listen to people's thoughts.

Like most things in the world today, I try and take the top 10-20% and bottom 10-20% of the kooks out of my thought process. Over the past couple of years I have finally learned that I cannot stand kooks that are extreme, regardless of their beliefs. I have avoided long time friends because IMO they have become whack jobs and zealots for a cause.

All that said, I seldom go a day without interaction (conversation) with a black person and my experience in conversation is the consensus say that BLM does not speak for them and have been offended by the white supporters that speak on their behalf. Would add that the consensus are more disgusted with the black on black crime than they are with the police issues. Of course the Minneapolis thing was horrible and they were disgusted by it. One friend told me he is more concerned about a loved one getting hit by a car (carjacking, police chase, etc.) than he is concerned about them being injured/killed by the police.

I don't get my nose out of joint with the BLM movement, nor do I get my nose out of joint when someone says all lives matter. Fact is, all lives do matter. I said it yesterday, I think blacks have a crapload of issues to be mad about and bad cops would not be number one.

Lastly, it is funny but a number of my liberal leaning friends made comments over the past week that confirmed my belief that we all have bias, even the biggest talkers. Bias is real, but I believe that most of mankind is good and flat out racism is reserved for the fringe kooks of any group. I don't think it is wrong to want police reform and I believe you can also care equally about the need to end black on black violence. Honestly, any effort (time or money) that I allocate to fix the problem goes to making the inner city a safer and better place. The future of a stable America starts with an improved inner city, not weeding out 3-5% (just picked a number) of ass hole cops, IMO.

Thank you for a thoughtful take, Goose. We disagree on a thing or two but I’m not gonna pick nits.

One thing I will say is that I have never conversed with “the Black community,” but I have spoken to some Black friends/associates.

Our best friends in Chicago are Black and we saw them last weekend when we went back there to visit our grand-twins. The subject did come up, as we talk about everything with them - politics, sports, religion, family, etc.

They believe strongly in the BLM movement, and think it’s about time some eyes are opening.  They also have 2 grown sons who are about the ages of our kids; they gave them “the talk” when the kids were 12 or 13, and they still worry everyday that one of their sons will be pulled over for DWB, or will be victimized by racism when they they are walking with their girlfriends.

Years ago, I had many excellent off-the-record conversations about race with Dusty Baker, a guy who has an incredible variety of experiences and perspectives relating to the issue. He told me things in confidence that I won’t repeat here, but one thing he told me on the record: “Almost everything in America these days is about race.” He said that 15 years ago, and I have little doubt he still feels the same. Perhaps even more strongly now.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #692 on: April 25, 2021, 01:57:11 PM »
I once again will speak out in defense of how hard it is to be a cop in this country.     Accused of racism by people of color.   Accused of being the attack dogs of a corrupt government by the boogaloo bois.  If the officer is of color, being accused of being an affirmative action hire or an uncle Tom.    Accused of (gasp) unionism and told their pensions are drains on society.     Told their responses are too slow, inappropriate, over the top, too quick to judgement.     It genuinely sucks to be a cop.    The competing criticisms are wretched.
The actions of a few reflecting on the many and causing reflexive painting with an overly broad brush.   

The only thing that comes close is being a public school teacher.

tower ... I'm quite certain nobody here has written that being a cop is easy.
I won't list all the benefits of being a cop, but instead I'll focus on this: We as a society give our police officers a great amount of power. They have the power to stop and detain us for any reason they can invent. They can search our property and invade our privacy for hardly any reason at all. They can take away some of our rights and privileges. They can literally take away our freedom. We even give them the legal authority to harm and even kill us under the right circumstances.

To crib from a comic book character, with great power comes great responsibility. For a cop, that responsibility includes making sure neither they or their peers abuse their power. And on that count, police officers in this country have historically done a terrible job. For every bad cop, there's probably a dozen who know he/she is a bad cop and did nothing about it.
So, yeah, the public can (and must) be critical when cops abuse the authority we give them. It's not without reason. The complaints about policing in this country are not unfounded or exaggerated. And for the good cops out there, it must be incredibly frustrating. But instead of thinking "woe is me" or getting upset at the critics, maybe it's time police did a better job of policing their ranks. Their enemy isn't BLM and other critics. Their enemy are the fellow cops who make that criticism necessary.

One more thing ... why, when it comes to criticism, why must we treat cops differently than any other profession?
When someone complains about a crappy journalist or crooked politician, nobody rushes in and says "I feel bad for all the good journalists out there" or "it's so hard being an alderman these days."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #693 on: April 25, 2021, 02:19:37 PM »
Lots of good points, Pak.

I look at police officers similar to the way I look at the likes of clergy or teachers. We put so much trust in them.

It's horrific when anybody commits a rape, obviously, but when a priest does it, it's even more tragic. It's terrible when anybody abuses a child, but it's even more terrible when a teacher does it. And when the police officers we trust to protect people and uphold the law instead harm people and break the law, it's doubly horrible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #694 on: April 25, 2021, 03:40:25 PM »
Just so I understand your point of view:   If you say "ALM" or something to deflect attention from the literal phrase "Black Lives Matter" it is problematic and or racist like many have stated on this thread?  However, if you criticize the BLM organization that may in fact not be a problem or racist?  I just want to be clear on your point here. Ty.

Fluffy had a good comparison. If people went to the Holocaust memorial with signs and shirts reading "All Genocides Matter," or tried to rename Holocaust Remembrance Day, "Genocide Remembrance Day," how would you take that?

Would you think, that's a good idea, All Genocides Matter, or would you think, this is "anti-semitism" and a direct attack on Jews? My guess is well over 90% of the people that say "All Lives Matter" would be in an uproar if the above happened...and they would be right.

And that is the point, everyone agrees that everyone's life matters, but the world doesn't act that way. In our society we have ignored the plight of people of color. The phrase "Black Lives Matter" is a reminder of the fact that we need to treat everyone with respect, to highlight the historic mistreatment of people of color.

Just like the Holocaust memorial, and the Holocaust Remembrance Day are designed to remind us all of historic mistreatment of the Jews.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #695 on: April 25, 2021, 05:10:48 PM »
The best of Scoop. Several great posts in a row.

Like 82, I think Goose had a great post. Talking is the answer. As Caucasians who cruise through life most of the time (the average Scooper), we often make the mistake of giving OUR opinions on black issues. We forget that blacks are as diverse as whites.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #696 on: April 25, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
I thought Asian Lives Matter and Trans Lives Matter too.  Or did those just momentarily Matter?  If not, why aren't the Asians and Transes (Transi?) taking away from Black Lives Mattering?

I just get so confused on my causes.  I need more bumper sticks to keep track.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #697 on: April 25, 2021, 05:33:55 PM »

well done goose!!  the only thing i would add is our educational system needs overhauling.  most everyone loves options within their lives.  most black parents would love school choice.

don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #698 on: April 25, 2021, 05:35:05 PM »
I thought Asian Lives Matter and Trans Lives Matter too.  Or did those just momentarily Matter?  If not, why aren't the Asians and Transes (Transi?) taking away from Black Lives Mattering?

I just get so confused on my causes.  I need more bumper sticks to keep track.

interesting to watch if caitlyn's life still matters, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

reinko

• All American
« Reply #699 on: April 25, 2021, 05:58:25 PM »
  interesting to watch if caitlyn's life still matters, eyn'a?

Weird, over two dozen states have anti-transrights bills working through their state legislatures right now, and can ya guess the political leaning of the authors of every single one?