[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85238 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #525 on: April 22, 2021, 04:22:28 PM »
Let me get this straight:  When Lebron was told to "shut up and dribble" his freedom of speech rights were taken away?  People say similar things to each other every day.  So was he and we supposed to take this phrase literally and conclude that his liberty is being threatened? 

Meanwhile, Lebron had some very erudite things to say about Hong Kong and liberty when Daryl Morey tweeted support for that community.   Remember this is a place where people's freedom of speech and overall liberty ARE actually being taken away.  But "The King" said something to the effect that Morey....needs to be more educated....this could be dangerous for people and their freedoms...and blah, blah blah, blah, blah. 

No one is taking Lebron's freedoms away, this is completely ridiculous.  "Shut up and dribble" is not modern day Nazis knocking at his door.  And while he continues to say asinine things, and vilify police,  I'm wondering if he will get rid of his security team because they're virulent racists?  If every living American told Lebron to shut the fk up or "shut up and dribble" it would not change the fact that he lives in the freest country ever created and he can say whatever the hell he wants.
It sure seems like you get mad about a lot of things that only happen in your imagination.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #526 on: April 22, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »
It sure seems like you get mad about a lot of things that only happen in your imagination.

I'm not mad at all nor is this something I imagined.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »
Personally, I think we'd all be a bit better off on focusing so much on the cultural wars and instead zero in on economic policy. If we fix the economics, likely the culture significantly improves

Not to mention if we're all arguing/focused on the culture, DC can continue to screw us on the economics.
Excellent point.

Re Lebron: I have no idea what he tweeted/deleted but he did grow up as a poor black kid in an urban environment so he has a much different relationship with police than the majority of us. That experience does give him credibility when talking about this subject.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #528 on: April 22, 2021, 04:50:19 PM »
Excellent point.

Re Lebron: I have no idea what he tweeted/deleted but he did grow up as a poor black kid in an urban environment so he has a much different relationship with police than the majority of us. That experience does give him credibility when talking about this subject.
Wait, wait, wait....lots of people were born a poor black child...

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #529 on: April 22, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »
Let me get this straight:  When Lebron was told to "shut up and dribble" his freedom of speech rights were taken away?  People say similar things to each other every day.  So was he and we supposed to take this phrase literally and conclude that his liberty is being threatened?

This is your imagination. 

No one is taking Lebron's freedoms away, this is completely ridiculous.  "Shut up and dribble" is not modern day Nazis knocking at his door.  And while he continues to say asinine things, and vilify police,  I'm wondering if he will get rid of his security team because they're virulent racists?  If every living American told Lebron to shut the fk up or "shut up and dribble" it would not change the fact that he lives in the freest country ever created and he can say whatever the hell he wants.

This is you getting mad about things in your imagination.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #530 on: April 22, 2021, 04:55:12 PM »
Excellent point.

No one has credibility when they respond within 5 mins of an incident without knowing the facts.  Especially someone with his mass following.  To his credit he insinuated he didn't know the facts in his 2nd Tweet.  Perhaps he can learn from this and as irresponsible as he was, he isn't as awful as Jarrett, Biden/Psaki, and others.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:57:45 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #531 on: April 22, 2021, 04:58:36 PM »
This is your imagination. 

This is you getting mad about things in your imagination.

I will try to not get angry but disagree.  Ty.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #532 on: April 22, 2021, 05:02:14 PM »
Perhaps he can learn from this and as irresponsible as he was, he isn't as awful as Jarrett, Biden/Psaki, and others.

This is some sick/crazy stuff.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #533 on: April 22, 2021, 05:04:36 PM »
I know we're splitting hairs here, but there's a difference between thinking to yourself that someone shouldn't express opinions with which you disagree, and publicly saying they should not express those opinions.
Again, I don't see how you can't respect a person's right to express themselves while also telling that person not to express himself or herself. That latter, to me, seems pretty disrespectful.

If we’re still talking about “don’t quit your day job” (as opposed to shut up and dribble which I think is a terrible sentiment), then I guess we just have different interpretations.  I’m not telling you that you don’t have the right to express yourself, but I am telling you I’m not gonna take it seriously cause it’s uninformed.  Especially in a culture that, for some reason, many people give “celebrities” voices undue weight just cause they are in the public eye.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2021, 05:18:26 PM »
I have no problem with a celebrity, athlete, entertainer, etc. giving their opinions on an issue. It's no different than us as lawyer, doctors, dentists, electricians, engineers, whatever. Why should someone be censored because they're higher profile? Hell, we just had a President who created his popularity through his status as a celebrity. That said, I find the attacks on someone who is a celebrity to be rather hypocritical when that same side promotes the opinions of their own celebrities (Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, Chachi, Lebron, Alyssa Milano, etc.). Sorry, Megan Kelly, you can't tell Lebron "shut up and dribble" unless you're also telling James Woods "shut up and chase 17 year olds."

I do realize celebrity opinions do have greater influence than most so they need to be more careful and informed. Lebron's was very reckless the other day and the problem is many who read the first one won't read the mean culpa.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
I have no problem with a celebrity, athlete, entertainer, etc. giving their opinions on an issue. It's no different than us as lawyer, doctors, dentists, electricians, engineers, whatever. Why should someone be censored because they're higher profile? Hell, we just had a President who created his popularity through his status as a celebrity. That said, I find the attacks on someone who is a celebrity to be rather hypocritical when that same side promotes the opinions of their own celebrities (Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, Chachi, Lebron, Alyssa Milano, etc.). Sorry, Megan Kelly, you can't tell Lebron "shut up and dribble" unless you're also telling James Woods "shut up and chase 17 year olds."

I do realize celebrity opinions do have greater influence than most so they need to be more careful and informed. Lebron's was very reckless the other day and the problem is many who read the first one won't read the mean culpa.

It wasn't exactly an apology Billy, and he was forced to do so with the backlash.  But he does deserve a scintilla of credit for his "knowing the facts" comments. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #536 on: April 22, 2021, 05:49:59 PM »
It wasn't exactly an apology Billy, and he was forced to do so with the backlash.  But he does deserve a scintilla of credit for his "knowing the facts" comments.

How many times have you been silent when people you support delete stuff or say outlandish things?

Play it fair or don't play at all.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #537 on: April 22, 2021, 05:57:02 PM »
Now's a good time remember that if the injustice you see in all of this is a tweet from LeBron James, you've really, irretrievably missed the point.

I remember in grade school learning about MLK and the civil rights movement, and thinking "who the hell were these people fighting against de-segregation and objecting to policies that sought to treat black people like humans"? Adulthood has taught that those people never disappeared.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #538 on: April 22, 2021, 06:10:49 PM »

I didn't say it was. I took the deletion as an admission of ignorance and error, but that's it. It's actually more than we can ask for from some celebrities.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #539 on: April 22, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »
I didn't say it was. I took the deletion as an admission of ignorance and error, but that's it. It's actually more than we can ask for from some celebrities.

That's fair. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #540 on: April 22, 2021, 06:43:16 PM »
Personally, I think we'd all be a bit better off on focusing so much on the cultural wars and instead zero in on economic policy. If we fix the economics, likely the culture significantly improves

Not to mention if we're all arguing/focused on the culture, DC can continue to screw us on the economics.

Like sleepy's capital gains tax proposal?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #541 on: April 22, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
and there you have it-social workers could have saved the day?  oy vey please tell me this isn't the "re-imagining" thingy

https://www.newsweek.com/columbus-ohio-councilmember-suggests-having-social-worker-present-may-have-led-different-outcome-1585747
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #542 on: April 22, 2021, 07:22:06 PM »
Much higher marginal rate for gains over $1M? All for it. Hopefully Biden this also closes the carried interest loophole.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #543 on: April 22, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »
and there you have it-social workers could have saved the day?  oy vey please tell me this isn't the "re-imagining" thingy

https://www.newsweek.com/columbus-ohio-councilmember-suggests-having-social-worker-present-may-have-led-different-outcome-1585747

Focused on the important issues I see.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #544 on: April 22, 2021, 07:56:22 PM »

Are we sure he's wrong?
Not blaming the cop here, but what likely outcome do you imagine worse than a 15-year-old girl shot dead by a police officer?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #545 on: April 22, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »

We need to focus more on economics. Yup. Ignore the culture war BS

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #546 on: April 22, 2021, 08:04:01 PM »
Are we sure he's wrong?
Not blaming the cop here, but what likely outcome do you imagine worse than a 15-year-old girl shot dead by a police officer?
I don’t know, maybe the cop standing by and watching the 15 year old stab the 13 year old, so people could rail on the cop for letting an innocent 13 year old get killed?   I know you said you’re not blaming the cop, but the 13 year old was clearly about to be stabbed. It’s one teen or the other.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #547 on: April 22, 2021, 08:10:26 PM »
Are we sure he's wrong?

"imagine worse than a 15 year old girl shot dead by a police officer"?

split second later and there could have been 2 dead teenagers, but that's just me "imagining"  thank God it didn't happen that way

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #548 on: April 22, 2021, 08:13:16 PM »
why is it so hard for people like lebron to just be honest here and apologize to(and thank) the police officer and call off his dogs

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #549 on: April 22, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »
Wait, wait, wait....lots of people were born a poor black child...

"Those cans totally deserved it" - probably Muggsy and Rocket