[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85237 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #500 on: April 22, 2021, 02:29:52 PM »
"I respect LBJ's right to say anything he feels helps his cause."

"I think LBJ should stick to his day job."

Which is it?
Why can't both things can't be true at once?  I can respect another's right to say anything he or she wants.  But I can also disagree with it and say say I don't think what the other person said is worth a damn.  Then, the other's free to think the same about what I've said. 

See what I did there?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #501 on: April 22, 2021, 02:31:56 PM »
Litehouse

Of course both can be true. I did not respond because I did not want to stir BLM up and see him get banned again for his behavior.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #502 on: April 22, 2021, 02:40:36 PM »
Litehouse

Of course both can be true. I did not respond because I did not want to stir BLM up and see him get banned again for his behavior.
Good pernt. 

I don't understand why it's so difficult for some to grasp the concept that two people can have different opinions on a topic, and that's ok.  Two people can disagree. But they can and should still be respectful towards each other.  Why some feel like anyone who disagrees with them should be cast into Gehenna, is beyond me.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #503 on: April 22, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »
Thanks for cleaning up my thoughts. You are about 98% spot on with my thoughts. Only minor tweak is I never thought Rush was all that, more a great success story and entertainer. Again, I do appreciate you cleaning up my words. I write like I talk (fast, fast, fast) and equally confusing when speaking my thoughts.

It's well known around here that I have an irrational hate towards Lebron. But, to even suggest remotely, that Rush and Lebron are remotely comparable is absurd.

That are certain bars that need to be met before some can deserve any respect. Rush did become famous and rich, but he did so by spewing hate. Deserves zero respect, and frankly, it isn't a "differences of opinion" thing, it is quite simply morality and values.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #504 on: April 22, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »
Why can't both things can't be true at once?  I can respect another's right to say anything he or she wants.  But I can also disagree with it and say say I don't think what the other person said is worth a damn.  Then, the other's free to think the same about what I've said. 

See what I did there?

Both things can't be true at once.
If you're suggesting that someone ought not speak their mind (aka shut up and dribble), then you don't actually respect that person's right to say anything they want.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2021, 02:54:12 PM »
Pakuni

Goose never said shut up and dribble.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2021, 02:59:08 PM »
Pakuni

Goose never said shut up and dribble.

I wonder, then, what Goose meant by "stick to his day job." Was he taking issue with his filmmaking skills?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »
Goose meant the same thing that my wife means when she says "stick with your day job" after my attempt at singing or being funny or my sons after I shank a golf shot after high stepping earlier in the round. For the record, back to my original point, I could not care less what Lebron or anyone else says or does. Unless it affects my life, which it does not, I am fine with every fxxkhead out there says, does, thinks or is thinking about saying as long as my life is not affected.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2021, 03:12:34 PM »
Goose meant the same thing that my wife means when she says "stick with your day job" after my attempt at singing or being funny or my sons after I shank a golf shot after high stepping earlier in the round. For the record, back to my original point, I could not care less what Lebron or anyone else says or does. Unless it affects my life, which it does not, I am fine with every fxxkhead out there says, does, thinks or is thinking about saying as long as my life is not affected.

So as long as they don't say it on your backswing?
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2021, 03:14:42 PM »
I think some you guys should camp yourselves in 420 thread.

Not an expert on that subject, so I don't belong there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #510 on: April 22, 2021, 03:15:16 PM »
I could not care less what Lebron or anyone else says or does.

It's funny that the people who claim that they could not care less, certainly seem like they could care less.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2021, 03:15:31 PM »

I picked Rush to stir the pot. Could have been DJT, Tucker, Hannity or countless other folks. I felt like Rush has not been hated on for a few weeks on scoop and didn't anyone to forget about him.

That's cool, I love pot-stirrin'. And right about now, I could use a little pot-smokin'! Alas, I'll have to settle for getting together with my Thursday craft beer gang in about a half-hour!

Just glad you admit that you like to stir the pot, too. It's fun, nu?

LeBron For President '24!

Peace out, baby.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #512 on: April 22, 2021, 03:16:02 PM »
Litehouse

How can both be true?  You literally say you respect his right to say what he wants, but then you go and say he should stick to dribbling a basketball and not talk about things besides "ball."  If you respect his right to say what he wants about whatever he wants, then why are you also opining on what he should or should not talk about?

Appreciate your concern though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #513 on: April 22, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »

It's funny that the people who claim that they could not care less, certainly seem like they could care less.

I for one am thrilled two posters have now said couldn't care less instead of could care less.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #514 on: April 22, 2021, 03:22:58 PM »
I am not interested in actors/actresses, athletes, or others like ADA presidents expressing their public opinions on topics in which they have no expertise. Their value to me is solely centered on their ability to entertain or speak authoritatively on topics in their field. For example, I don't give a chit if Brett Favre thinks Chauvin should have been acquitted or if the current ADA president would think MLB's moving the All-Star game to Denver was a prudent move. On the other hand, Brett Favre speaking publicly about the lengthened NFL regular season, or the ADA president voicing his opinion on fluoride in the public drinking water, I'm all ears, hey?

The beautiful thing, Doc, is that you don't have to pay attention to any of these people whose words don't interest you, nu?

As for Lebron, he's a great basketball player and should be grateful everyday that he lives in a country that affords him, and everyone else the opportunity to earn the enormous income for something so trivial as basketball, which needs absolutely nothing to the betterment of mankind other than its entertainment value, hey?

So if one is a "trivial" athlete, one cannot possibly contribute to the "betterment of mankind"?

Arthur Ashe, Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali might disagree if they were still alive.

Does speaking out about important topics mean that an athlete isn't "grateful everyday that he lives in a country that affords him, and everyone else the opportunity to earn the enormous income for something so trivial as basketball"?

I'm not sure why you think all of these things are mutually exclusive. You sure opine about a lot of stuff. Shame on you for not being grateful that you live in America!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #515 on: April 22, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »

I picked Rush to stir the pot. Could have been DJT, Tucker, Hannity or countless other folks. I felt like Rush has not been hated on for a few weeks on scoop and didn't anyone to forget about him.

shoothoops
Unlike some folks I take entertainers opinion about as seriously as I take some some scoopers opinion on MU basketball. You, like many on here, are a far bigger expert on the life and times of Rush than I am. I listened to him in the early 2000's when I started business and was in the car driving around he country trying to make a buck and probably a grand total of an hour over the last decade of his life.

The other thing...besides words matter...is who says them and what they say matters too. Life and experience is far too specific and individual to be generalized, that all of the people you mentioned be lumped in as the same. They aren't. They don't say and do the same things publicly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #516 on: April 22, 2021, 03:23:43 PM »
How can both be true?  You literally say you respect his right to say what he wants, but then you go and say he should stick to dribbling a basketball and not talk about things besides "ball."  If you respect his right to say what he wants about whatever he wants, then why are you also opining on what he should or should not talk about?

Appreciate your concern though.

He has the right to say that.   He is free to judge the free speech of others.   As are we all.   And we are free to judge his judgement.   Ad infinitum.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #517 on: April 22, 2021, 03:35:46 PM »
Both things can't be true at once.
If you're suggesting that someone ought not speak their mind (aka shut up and dribble), then you don't actually respect that person's right to say anything they want.

I can think someone is a moron who has no idea what they are talking about and probably shouldn't ramble about stuff they are informed about without saying they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

I used to play open mics and a guy used to play almost every week and would bring his own in-ear monitors and set up a looping pedal he didn't know how to use and spent more time setting it up than actually using it in a song.  He was terrible and arrogant and made no attempt to become part of the musician group that often played, but thought he was Ed Sheeran and largely only was allowed to take 10 min to set up and change everything cause he was a friend of the owner and would tip the sound guy.

He was a clown and someone who you would definitely tell not to quit his day job if assessed or asked about his skill/ability/etc...  but he had as much right to play or be up there as I did, and I didn't begrudge him for it.

I feel the same about someone like Lebron sometimes.  He should run more by Maverick Carter who is the reason that he's wildly successful off the court.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #518 on: April 22, 2021, 03:49:50 PM »
Let me get this straight:  When Lebron was told to "shut up and dribble" his freedom of speech rights were taken away?  People say similar things to each other every day.  So was he and we supposed to take this phrase literally and conclude that his liberty is being threatened? 

Meanwhile, Lebron had some very erudite things to say about Hong Kong and liberty when Daryl Morey tweeted support for that community.   Remember this is a place where people's freedom of speech and overall liberty ARE actually being taken away.  But "The King" said something to the effect that Morey....needs to be more educated....this could be dangerous for people and their freedoms...and blah, blah blah, blah, blah. 

No one is taking Lebron's freedoms away, this is completely ridiculous.  "Shut up and dribble" is not modern day Nazis knocking at his door.  And while he continues to say asinine things, and vilify police,  I'm wondering if he will get rid of his security team because they're virulent racists?  If every living American told Lebron to shut the fk up or "shut up and dribble" it would not change the fact that he lives in the freest country ever created and he can say whatever the hell he wants.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:54:01 PM by MuggsyB »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #519 on: April 22, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »
He has the right to say that.   He is free to judge the free speech of others.   As are we all.   And we are free to judge his judgement.   Ad infinitum.

Agreed.  But if I respect his right to say whatever, I'm not going to then turn around and say he shouldn't be saying what he's saying.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #520 on: April 22, 2021, 03:59:22 PM »
Let me get this straight:  When Lebron was told to "shut up and dribble" his freedom of speech rights were taken away?  People say similar things to each other every day.  So was he and we supposed to take this phrase literally and conclude that his liberty is being threatened? 

Meanwhile, Lebron had some very erudite things to say about Hong Kong and liberty when Daryl Morey tweeted support for that community.   Remember this is a place where people's freedom of speech and overall liberty ARE actually being taken away.  But "The King" said something to the effect that Morey....needs to be more educated....this could be dangerous for people and their freedoms...and blah, blah blah, blah, blah. 

No one is taking Lebron's freedoms away, this is completely ridiculous.  "Shut up and dribble" is not modern day Nazis knocking at his door.  And while he continues to say asinine things, and vilify police,  I'm wondering if he will get rid of his security team because they're virulent racists?  If every living American told Lebron to shut the fk up or "shut up and dribble" it would not change the fact that he lives in the freest country ever created and he can say whatever the hell he wants.

Who said any of that?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #521 on: April 22, 2021, 04:00:42 PM »
Agreed.  But if I respect his right to say whatever, I'm not going to then turn around and say he shouldn't be saying what he's saying.

I think the view is “he can say it, but that doesn’t mean I have to take it seriously.”

I can say something about a whole lot of subjects, but that doesn’t mean I’m right or even an educated person on the matter.

This kind of reminds me of the Chappelle stand up about the news going to Ja Rule for his reaction to 9/11.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #522 on: April 22, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »
Let me get this straight:  When Lebron was told to "shut up and dribble" his freedom of speech rights were taken away?

Sorry, but who said this?  You like to make up arguments that no one is actually making.

Ah yes... The fallacy that if you can't adequately speak out against one injustice, you shouldn't be allowed to speak out about any injustices.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #523 on: April 22, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »
I can think someone is a moron who has no idea what they are talking about and probably shouldn't ramble about stuff they are informed about without saying they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

I know we're splitting hairs here, but there's a difference between thinking to yourself that someone shouldn't express opinions with which you disagree, and publicly saying they should not express those opinions.
Again, I don't see how you can't respect a person's right to express themselves while also telling that person not to express himself or herself. That latter, to me, seems pretty disrespectful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #524 on: April 22, 2021, 04:17:57 PM »
Personally, I think we'd all be a bit better off on focusing so much on the cultural wars and instead zero in on economic policy. If we fix the economics, likely the culture significantly improves

Not to mention if we're all arguing/focused on the culture, DC can continue to screw us on the economics.

feedback