[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85248 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2021, 12:50:49 PM »
Well personally I was pretty scarred from that video. I can't imagine any rational human wouldn't be. Do I think he's spent a year sitting there lighting candles? No. But I don't think it's exactly been out of his head given the publicity, and nature of the video.

It was a horrible video as are many videos of people senselessly dying.  I generally don't mourn  the deaths of people I have never met for a year but I suppose it's not 100% inconceivable .  I'm quite upset about the death of Trixie the whale shark at the Georgia Aquarium in November.  They can live 100 yrs in the wild. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:52:21 PM by MuggsyB »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #401 on: April 21, 2021, 12:57:30 PM »
The fake outrage over "What about murders in Chicago" is unreal.  The same athletes / entertainers / politicians
 / corporate execs / everyday folks who post about police brutality are donating thousands of dollars / hours to inner city youth reading programs, summer lunches, day camps, food & clothing drives. 

That doesn't mean they cannot also be concerned about police brutality.

Exactly.
Also, a person's activism on one particular issue is not invalidated if that person is not actively trying to right ALL of the earth's wrongs. But people play that game all the time when it comes to civil rights issues.
So, for example, NBA players who speak out against racism are attacked for not also speaking out against the Chinese government. BLM activists who speak out against police misconduct are attacked over "black on black" crime. Joe Biden apparently can't mourn George Floyd unless he's publicly mourning every other Black murder victim.
It's mind-bogglingly stupid.
Where else does this happen? Do people who march to raise money for breast cancer research get attacked for not paying enough attention to leukemia? Did Jerry Lewis get attacked for not hosting a telethon for ALS or cerebral palsy?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 21, 2021, 12:59:30 PM »
This. It's always bugged me on this board. I can't remember who, but back when I was going door to door in the west side and living in humboldt park I confronted someone on here who was waxing and waning about it and they admitted they dont care about those neighborhoods. I think heisenberg? Could be wrong. It's just another talking point for people who've never stepped foot into those neighborhoods to act like they care.

Most aren't even pretending they care. It's just a way to deflect and make a false equivalence.

"Yeah, a few bad cops kill Black people, but what about all the Black-on-Black crime in Chicago? What about it, huh? What about it?"

That was a Ners specialty, but unfortunately he wasn't alone.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »
Exactly.
Also, a person's activism on one particular issue is not invalidated if that person is not actively trying to right ALL of the earth's wrongs. But people play that game all the time when it comes to civil rights issues.
So, for example, NBA players who speak out against racism are attacked for not also speaking out against the Chinese government. BLM activists who speak out against police misconduct are attacked over "black on black" crime. Joe Biden apparently can't mourn George Floyd unless he's publicly mourning every other Black murder victim.
Where else does this happen? Do people who march to raise money for breast cancer research get attacked for not paying enough attention to leukemia? Did Jerry Lewis get attacked for not hosting a telethon for ALS or cerebral palsy?

True.  And the good news for most of you is that all of these cities where these horrific things are happening, and getting worse, are controlled by Democrats.   And when Garland investigates the Minneapolis police he will find out that are primarily Democrats.  And when Democratic leadership attempts to federalize police depts, if they are successful, crime rates will go way up.  But lecturing everyone we are a country of racists, with police depts. full of Chauvin's will solve all of these problems.   Especially because electing more Democrats to run our cities has proven to be a winning formula.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:17:40 PM by MuggsyB »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2021, 01:14:59 PM »
True.  And the good news for most of you is that all of these cities where these horrific things are happening, and getting worse, are controlled by Democrats.   And when Garland investigates the Minneapolis police he will find out that are primarily Democrats.  And when Democratic leadership attempts to federalize police depts, if they are successful, crime rates will go way up.  But lecturing everyone we are a country of racists, with police depts. full of Chauvin's will solve all of these problems.   Especially because electing more Demorats to run our cities has proven to be a winning formula.

Maybe instead of blaming you should take an introspective look at what about your party is turning off the more diverse demographics in cities.

Honest question, your moms from Ireland and I've never met a child of a European immigrant as right as you. Center right, sure but that's left over here, socially right, seen that as well but that's not what you usually post. What influenced this?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2021, 01:17:19 PM »
True.  And the good news for most of you is that all of these cities where these horrific things are happening, and getting worse, are controlled by Democrats.   And when Garland investigates the Minneapolis police he will find out that are primarily Democrats.  And when Democratic leadership attempts to federalize police depts, if they are successful, crime rates will go way up.  But lecturing everyone we are a country of racists, with police depts. full of Chauvin's will solve all of these problems.   Especially because electing more Demorats to run our cities has proven to be a winning formula.

Cops kill blacks because they're... liberal? lol

You've got your talking points mixed up homie

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »
Cops kill blacks because they're... liberal? lol

You've got your talking points mixed up homie

That's not what I stated.  Who is controlling these cities?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #407 on: April 21, 2021, 01:19:05 PM »
Were you sternly told to get out of the car? Did the officer see "something" in the car that he/she felt gave him/her the right to search your vehicle? Did he/she make you face your vehicle, put your hands on your hood and spread eagle with your legs while you got patted down (or worse)?

Many (most?) Black people fear that treatment every single time they get stopped by the cops ... and for good reason. Did you?
I can answer the questions, as years ago, I was also stopped and ticketed for an expired license plate in Illinois.  My answer to each question is no.  Maybe none of what you ask happened to me because I'm white. Or maybe it's because when the officer approached my car, I respectfully asked why I was stopped and I accepted the ticket.  Or maybe it's because when he ran my plates, he didn't find any outstanding warrants against me that would give him reason to sternly tell me to get out of the car, face the vehicle, hands on the hood to be patted down.  I can't speak for them, and just my guess, but maybe that's what happened to Billy Hoyle and his buddy when they got stopped as well. 

I'm not saying there aren't cops out there who hassle black drivers for no reason.  Just sayin', it isn't always for no other reason.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2021, 01:23:55 PM »
I can answer the questions, as years ago, I was also stopped and ticketed for an expired license plate in Illinois.  My answer to each question is no.  Maybe none of what you ask happened to me because I'm white. Or maybe it's because when the officer approached my car, I respectfully asked why I was stopped and I accepted the ticket.  Or maybe it's because when he ran my plates, he didn't find any outstanding warrants against me that would give him reason to sternly tell me to get out of the car, face the vehicle, hands on the hood to be patted down.  I can't speak for them, and just my guess, but maybe that's what happened to Billy Hoyle and his buddy when they got stopped as well. 

I'm not saying there aren't cops out there who hassle black drivers for no reason.  Just sayin', it isn't always for no other reason.

No one is saying that every time a black person is stopped it is because they are black.

Statistically, your experience is very different from those of Black Americans.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #409 on: April 21, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »
True.  And the good news for most of you is that all of these cities where these horrific things are happening, and getting worse, are controlled by Democrats.   

True. Horrific crime never happens in rural America. Or red states.

And when Garland investigates the Minneapolis police he will find out that are primarily Democrats.

No. Police officers are overwhelmingly Republican.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #410 on: April 21, 2021, 01:31:51 PM »
Have a good day all.  Hopefully things will get better but both political parties have severe probs.  Unfortunately I think the most influential people on the Left are completely destroying our country.  I don't think the specific police reforms floating around will make anyone safer, especially the most vulnerable.  Federalizing these police depts. would be a complete disaster imo.  Take care.

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #411 on: April 21, 2021, 01:33:24 PM »
Have a good day all.  Hopefully things will get better but both political parties have severe probs.  Unfortunately I think the most influential people on the Left are completely destroying our country.  I don't think the specific police reforms floating around will make anyone safer, especially the most vulnerable.  Federalizing these police depts. would be a complete disaster imo.  Take care.

Stupid comment. You always feign ignorance but then post this bullcrap. See you later buddy

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #412 on: April 21, 2021, 01:38:24 PM »

Back to the safe space then.  Adios!

Btw, the right has done more damage to this country than the left.  Historically, and presently.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #413 on: April 21, 2021, 01:39:06 PM »
No one is saying that every time a black person is stopped it is because they are black.

Statistically, your experience is very different from those of Black Americans.
https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=702
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:47:51 PM by lawdog77 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #414 on: April 21, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »
True.  And the good news for most of you is that all of these cities where these horrific things are happening, and getting worse, are controlled by Democrats.   And when Garland investigates the Minneapolis police he will find out that are primarily Democrats.  And when Democratic leadership attempts to federalize police depts, if they are successful, crime rates will go way up.  But lecturing everyone we are a country of racists, with police depts. full of Chauvin's will solve all of these problems.   Especially because electing more Democrats to run our cities has proven to be a winning formula.

Tribe gonna tribe. Fanatic gonna fanatic. Regurgitated talking points gonna regurgitate. Group think gonna group think.

When every day life gets in the way, the tighter they cling.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #415 on: April 21, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »
https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=702

You may as well have linked google.  If you're attempting to make a point, make it, or link something with substance... or quote what you're getting at.

Since I'm a lunatic, I assumed you meant to reference this:
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cbpp18st.pdf

IF that is what you're referencing, then I think this is the most important part.
A higher percentage of blacks (4%) and Hispanics (3%) than whites (2%) or other races (2%) experienced threats or use of force.

So double.

Also this.
Four percent of blacks and 4% of Hispanics reported being handcufed during their most recent contact with police, compared to 2% of whites and 2% of other races.

double.

Please correct me if these weren't the points that you were trying to make... since I'm left assuming a lot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #416 on: April 21, 2021, 02:01:49 PM »

Of course not.

And I'm just sayin' that white folks simply do not have to worry about stuff happening "for no other reason." Literally all the Black parents I know are scared to death about their sons and daughters (but especially sons) being stopped for DWB.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #417 on: April 21, 2021, 02:03:13 PM »
Regarding traffic stops, read a few pages of this decision if you need a taste of what Blacks encounter waaaaaay too regularly:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/7013933-Jamison-v-McClendon.html?fbclid=IwAR2fmYXG1LAjJOCbTMAfJHGDNt-ifevYWwC_hRfpMfsU3-dt_fZeymZ_gcA
Ludum habemus.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #418 on: April 21, 2021, 02:08:28 PM »
And when Garland investigates the Minneapolis police he will find out that are primarily Democrats.
I need to put Scoop Takes on speed dial
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #419 on: April 21, 2021, 02:11:15 PM »
Ah yes, after my talking points have been shot to crap, revert to "both sides". Can we put you in contact with Chicos/Warrior Dad? You'd enjoy a beer summit together.

I'd also love to know, specifically, how the left is completely destroying the country.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:14:47 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #420 on: April 21, 2021, 02:25:15 PM »
Exactly.

think ya got em all covered?   convenient filter ya got there.  btw, criticism of chinese gubmint is more about human rights issues and...ahem...slavery?  there are many profiting from this abhorrent treatment of human beings that has been an ongoing flashpoint about our very own country.  big difference is we saw the wrong and corrected it.  terrible things going on in china right now.  nothing much said about the "editing"/censoring of the freddie mercury movie for example.  big hollywood had no problems there.  wonder why?  not really
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #421 on: April 21, 2021, 02:27:52 PM »
You may as well have linked google.  If you're attempting to make a point, make it, or link something with substance... or quote what you're getting at.

Since I'm a lunatic, I assumed you meant to reference this:
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cbpp18st.pdf

IF that is what you're referencing, then I think this is the most important part.
A higher percentage of blacks (4%) and Hispanics (3%) than whites (2%) or other races (2%) experienced threats or use of force. Didn't know I needed to make a point in order to post. Just giving those who care a place to see some statistics on traffic stops. 

So double.

Also this.
Four percent of blacks and 4% of Hispanics reported being handcufed during their most recent contact with police, compared to 2% of whites and 2% of other races.

double.

Please correct me if these weren't the points that you were trying to make... since I'm left assuming a lot.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #422 on: April 21, 2021, 02:29:49 PM »
  think ya got em all covered?   convenient filter ya got there.  btw, criticism of chinese gubmint is more about human rights issues and...ahem...slavery?  there are many profiting from this abhorrent treatment of human beings that has been an ongoing flashpoint about our very own country.  big difference is we saw the wrong and corrected it.  terrible things going on in china right now.  nothing much said about the "editing"/censoring of the freddie mercury movie for example.  big hollywood had no problems there.  wonder why?  not really

China is a huge blind spot for ALL of America.  IMO we're all guilty of it.  I would wager that your portfolio is doing well in part because of American company's mining the Chinese consumer the past 10-15 years.  But LeBron's indifference to the Uyghurs doesn't invalidate his stance on police brutality. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #423 on: April 21, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »

The USA does those things too, buddy.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #424 on: April 21, 2021, 02:40:02 PM »
Holy crap, what?

feedback