[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85210 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #375 on: April 21, 2021, 09:10:57 AM »
At first look, it appears that Columbus police were justified in shooting a teenage Black girl who was wielding a knife and threatening others with it.

https://apnews.com/article/columbus-ohio-police-shooting-teenage-girl-0c04a74691f3f3fb3895d6220c729080

As I said, "looks like." We'll see what further details come out, but it does appear that the deceased was a real and present threat to others.

I am trying to understand what I have seen in the body camera video.

At first glance, I see a man pushing a woman backwards to the ground and kicking her. (I haven't seen any information about these two which I need.) Then the shooting victim appears seemingly out of nowhere in the body cam video running up to the woman in pink against the car. Shooting victim does appear to have a knife in her hand. The officer arrives on scene, approaches and immediately shoots her from behind, as her back is turned from the officer the entire video. There didn't appear to be much/any prolonged verbal or physical de-escalation attempts, or attempted use of a taser by the officer first. A man at the scene immediately says to the officer that he didn't have to shoot the shooting victim.(The shooting victim is the person that called police in the first place.)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:58:35 AM by shoothoops »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »
When I watched the bodycam video my first thought was "could they have tased her instead?" I'm not sure how this all works, and if that action was feasible or not in that situation.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2021, 09:45:51 AM »
The verdict being a commentary and validation of systemic racism and police brutality is what I have a problem with accepting. 

I also never said that the verdict is a commentary and validation of systemic racism either.

Systemic racism in policing exists regardless of whether or not Chauvin was convicted.  And this is not merely an opinion, but there are objective facts that suggest this is accurate:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-0858-1

There are literally dozens of similar research studies done that indicates this.

And again, just because institutions have issues with systemic racism, that doesn't mean that the individuals themselves are racist.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 21, 2021, 09:53:05 AM »
So apparently Chauvin wanted to plead guilty and Barr blocked it?
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
So apparently Chauvin wanted to plead guilty and Barr blocked it?

Not sure how he could block a plea deal at the state level.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2021, 10:26:39 AM »
Ah.  It's because part of the deal was to serve time in a federal prison.  Gotcha.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »
So you disagree with Tucker Carlson?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1384688301962141697?s=19

https://www.newsweek.com/nope-done-tucker-carlson-shuts-down-interview-after-guest-said-chauvin-used-excessive-force-1585246?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1384663851447242758?s=19
Just complete disconnect from reality.  "The trial was absent any facts". Well, you know, other than the 9+ minute video of course.

No wonder people like rocket, 60, and 4never live in an alternate reality fantasy world.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #383 on: April 21, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
I was under the impression that the order was reversed. He was stopped for the air-freshener, and then they noticed the expired tags.

Where I live, you can't tell vehicle registration is expired unless you run the plates, or the car is already stopped, so there would be no way to know they were expired unless you pulled them over already.

If that is not the case in Minnesota, I apologize. But given that he told his mom he was pulled over for the air freshener, immediately after the police told him why he was pulled over, makes me a bit suspicious about the actual order of events.

Police cars can have systems that automatically read and run plates without the officer doing anything. It will alert the officer when it runs a plate with wants etc. Several years ago talking with Greenfield police before a 4th of July parade the officers explained this technology for us.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #384 on: April 21, 2021, 10:51:15 AM »

I also never said that the verdict is a commentary and validation of systemic racism either.

Systemic racism in policing exists regardless of whether or not Chauvin was convicted.  And this is not merely an opinion, but there are objective facts that suggest this is accurate:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-0858-1

There are literally dozens of similar research studies done that indicates this.

And again, just because institutions have issues with systemic racism, that doesn't mean that the individuals themselves are racist.

I lived with a cop after college.  Got to meet a lot of his fellow police along the way.  This was the late 90's and I know some things have changed but it was standard operating procedure to do the following:

If you're working 4p-Midnight, at about 10pm or so you find a remote parking lot and play solitaire on your patrol laptop for 60-90 minutes. Then around 11:30pm you hit the streets and look for any expired tags, busted tail-light you can find.  You wait to do this until almost midnight bc the paperwork and possible booking can add 3-4 hours of OT onto your shift.  These cops weren't cruising around Mequon or Brookfield but rather the poorest parts of Milwaukee where odds were high that a busted tail-light would mean more than just one infraction.  Often times it was simply unpaid fines. 

This was very, very common.  I would hear police brag about it.  If that's not systematic racism that is at the very least preying on the most vulnerable of our community. 

Fast forward to today, I just drove around for two months with expired tag bc the penalty was only $10, I was too lazy to get an emissions test and I knew my car would never get pulled over (it didn't). 

I'm not the wokest guy in the world but I sure as sh!t know that there are two different worlds out there.  Recognizing it doesn't make you a liberal or a conservative, it makes you human.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #385 on: April 21, 2021, 11:10:27 AM »
Fast forward to today, I just drove around for two months with expired tag bc the penalty was only $10, I was too lazy to get an emissions test and I knew my car would never get pulled over (it didn't). 

Completely anecdotal (and not intended to disagree with anything you said), but both my wife and I have been pulled over for expired plates. In my case, it was just a couple days after it expired and I had no idea. In my wife's case an absolute pretty boy of a cop told her he was going to impound the van and when my wife responded that she was on her way to pick up her kids, he told her "that sounds like your problem, not mine." He also gave her a ticket for not having a seatbelt on because she had taken it off before he got to the car. Fortunately, a supervisor showed up and her car was not impounded. Both of us got pretty significant tickets for the expired tags ($100+ if I recall). I also got pulled over because my front license plate had fallen off (a couple years before I got pulled over...but I didn't mention that). No ticket for that one.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #386 on: April 21, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »
Completely anecdotal (and not intended to disagree with anything you said), but both my wife and I have been pulled over for expired plates. In my case, it was just a couple days after it expired and I had no idea. In my wife's case an absolute pretty boy of a cop told her he was going to impound the van and when my wife responded that she was on her way to pick up her kids, he told her "that sounds like your problem, not mine." He also gave her a ticket for not having a seatbelt on because she had taken it off before he got to the car. Fortunately, a supervisor showed up and her car was not impounded. Both of us got pretty significant tickets for the expired tags ($100+ if I recall). I also got pulled over because my front license plate had fallen off (a couple years before I got pulled over...but I didn't mention that). No ticket for that one.

Really prioritizing the important stuff that officer was.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #387 on: April 21, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »

I'm not the wokest guy in the world but I sure as sh!t know that there are two different worlds out there.  Recognizing it doesn't make you a liberal or a conservative, it makes you human.

My buddy and I each got a ticket for an expired tag even though it expired during the shutdown and the state had given a three-month grace period. I'm a white dude in a BMW, he is a white dude in a Camry. Racism!

The tickets were rescinded, but still. I felt so violated.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2021, 12:12:12 PM »
Nancy P really hit her tweet out of the ballpark yesterday:  "Thank you to George Floyd for sacrificing your life."  And don't forget our President has been mourning Floyd's murder for a year.  He also felt the need to lecture all of us that we're racists because as we all know from his 47 yrs in Govt, and in the public eye, he has always shown class and dignity to all minorities.  I'm wondering how long he has been mourning the death of Jaslyn Adams? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »
Nancy P really hit her tweet out of the ballpark yesterday:  "Thank you to George Floyd for sacrificing your life."  And don't forget our President has been mourning Floyd's murder for a year.  He also felt the need to lecture all of us that we're racists because as we all know from his 47 yrs in Govt, and in the public eye, he has always shown class and dignity to all minorities.  I'm wondering how long he has been mourning the death of Jaslyn Adams?

Serious question Muggsy, do you know what a false equivalency is?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2021, 12:30:34 PM »

Cool post.
Now do Marjorie Taylor Greene.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2021, 12:32:48 PM »
Serious question Muggsy, do you know what a false equivalency is?

I'm not making a comparison.  We should just be aware of their ridiculousness and using people as pawns. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #392 on: April 21, 2021, 12:36:53 PM »
I'm not making a comparison.  We should just be aware of their ridiculousness and using people as pawns.

By bringing up a death that has nothing to do with police shootings you are making a comparison. Intended or not. If you'd like to make a thread about gang violence by all means go for it, but it's irrelevant when discussing cop violence toward minorities, specifically African Americans.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #393 on: April 21, 2021, 12:37:52 PM »

I appreciate my plates story is completely anecdotal as well.  I'm well aware that white people in nice cars get pulled over hundreds of thousands of times a day.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2021, 12:40:42 PM »
By bringing up a death that has nothing to do with police shootings you are making a comparison. Intended or not. If you'd like to make a thread about gang violence by all means go for it, but it's irrelevant when discussing cop violence toward minorities, specifically African Americans.

Fair enough but people are waxing poetic about a bunch of things.  Do you believe Biden has been mourning Floyd's death for a year?  I was just curious.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #395 on: April 21, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »
My buddy and I each got a ticket for an expired tag even though it expired during the shutdown and the state had given a three-month grace period. I'm a white dude in a BMW, he is a white dude in a Camry. Racism!

The tickets were rescinded, but still. I felt so violated.

Were you sternly told to get out of the car? Did the officer see "something" in the car that he/she felt gave him/her the right to search your vehicle? Did he/she make you face your vehicle, put your hands on your hood and spread eagle with your legs while you got patted down (or worse)?

Many (most?) Black people fear that treatment every single time they get stopped by the cops ... and for good reason. Did you?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »
Fair enough but people are waxing poetic about a bunch of things.  Do you believe Biden has been mourning Floyd's death for a year?  I was just curious.

Well personally I was pretty scarred from that video. I can't imagine any rational human wouldn't be. Do I think he's spent a year sitting there lighting candles? No. But I don't think it's exactly been out of his head given the publicity, and nature of the video.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #397 on: April 21, 2021, 12:45:01 PM »

The fake outrage over "What about murders in Chicago" is unreal.  The same athletes / entertainers / politicians
 / corporate execs / everyday folks who post about police brutality are donating thousands of dollars / hours to inner city youth reading programs, summer lunches, day camps, food & clothing drives. 

That doesn't mean they cannot also be concerned about police brutality. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #398 on: April 21, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »

One of my good friends died last year. I don't think about him every minute of every day, but I do think about him whenever something reminds me of him, and I mourn his death all over again, albeit briefly. I think about George Floyd considerably less often because I didn't know him. But when I am reminded of the tragedy he suffered under Chauvin's knee, yes, I mourn his death. I would imagine Biden "mourns" similarly, both about loved ones and somebody like George Floyd.

Now, what are we going to do about police brutality, specifically against people of color, and about systemic racism in American society in general?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2021, 12:50:28 PM »
The fake outrage over "What about murders in Chicago" is unreal.  The same athletes / entertainers / politicians
 / corporate execs / everyday folks who post about police brutality are donating thousands of dollars / hours to inner city youth reading programs, summer lunches, day camps, food & clothing drives. 

That doesn't mean they cannot also be concerned about police brutality.

This. It's always bugged me on this board. I can't remember who, but back when I was going door to door in the west side and living in humboldt park I confronted someone on here who was waxing and waning about it and they admitted they dont care about those neighborhoods. I think heisenberg? Could be wrong. It's just another talking point for people who've never stepped foot into those neighborhoods to act like they care.
Maigh Eo for Sam