[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85244 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #325 on: April 20, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »

Because "systemic racism" isn't a legal issue.  It is a moral and ethical one.  But to claim that it wasn't about race is....something.

95% of unarmed citizens killed by cops are of one gender.  Does that mean this is a systemic issue against males?

There are a disproportionate number of black citizens that get killed in this scenario.  There is no question about it.  But there are a myriad of other factors beyond race and many unarmed whites  get killed by cops as well.  Again, each case or situation is an entity in its own.  They need to be properly tried through our legal system.  To suggest that every time a white cop kills an unarmed citizen they are racist monsters is absurd.

Yes it would have.  Good lord, some of you people twist yourselves into knots because God forbid the cops do something wrong. 
[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:58:51 PM by MuggsyB »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #326 on: April 20, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »
To suggest that every time a white cop kills an unarmed citizen they are racist monsters is absurd.

Right. Which is why I never said that.

But if f you don’t think there is racial bias is policing, then I don’t know what to say other than “open your eyes.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 20, 2021, 05:10:54 PM »
Actually Lens, I couldn't agree more with your comment.  And based on what I've seen and read, I agree with the verdict. But I don't agree that a sitting president or US representative should chime in before the verdict, especially when the climate is so hostile.
Yes, now that we have a Democratic President, certain serious people are very, very worried that he follow the strictest protocol and norms.  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:12:32 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 20, 2021, 05:13:55 PM »
Right. Which is why I never said that.

But if f you don’t think there is racial bias is policing, then I don’t know what to say other than “open your eyes.”

I think there is police racial bias, especially with profiling and pulling people over.  But when it comes to these particular high profile cases we do not know if race played any role in these situations.  These aren't random people that have not committed crimes.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 20, 2021, 05:21:34 PM »
Yes, now that we have a Democratic President, certain serious people are very, very worried that he follow the strictest protocol and norms.  ::) ::) ::)
You know, what Lens said ("We don't need to take sides on everything.  Can we just agree every once in awhile?  This one seemed cut and dry."), applies about Biden's comments too.  Can we just agree that Biden shouldn't have commented before the verdict was announced?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 20, 2021, 05:24:55 PM »
Accountability, because a teenager had the courage and wherewithal to record it. Several video angles. Police officers willing to testify objectively for the prosecution. A prosecution that was willing to bring charges. A jury decided to honor what they saw and heard. A year of protests, and International Media coverage. It took all of that to get accountability for an injustice that didn't need to happen.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »
You know, what Lens said ("We don't need to take sides on everything.  Can we just agree every once in awhile?  This one seemed cut and dry."), applies about Biden's comments too.  Can we just agree that Biden shouldn't have commented before the verdict was announced?
You go first: tell me how outraged you were with 4+ years of festering democracy-hating crapweasel statements from the former guy. Go into great detail how upset you were. I'll wait.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 20, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »

I think if you amend your statement to presidents in general so you're taking the hint yourself and not applying a double standard that was ignored previously then you'd have my support with this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #333 on: April 20, 2021, 05:42:53 PM »
Accountability, because a teenager had the courage and wherewithal to record it. Several video angles. Police officers willing to testify objectively for the prosecution. A prosecution that was willing to bring charges. A jury decided to honor what they saw and heard. A year of protests, and International Media coverage. It took all of that to get accountability for an injustice that didn't need to happen.

Why do you think the media coverage, protesting, and rioting needed to happen for this verdict to be rendered?  Could it just be that Chauvin was a scumbag cop who committed an assault and murder?
That he had about 18 complaints or something before this happened?  Are you saying his actions are an every day occurrence among police depts?  Could it be the jury looked at the facts of the case,  provided by the videos and other testimony, and made their decision while the stuff on the periphery had no impact at all?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:44:28 PM by MuggsyB »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #334 on: April 20, 2021, 06:02:31 PM »
I think if you amend your statement to presidents in general so you're taking the hint yourself and not applying a double standard that was ignored previously then you'd have my support with this.
I did say that.

Actually Lens, I couldn't agree more with your comment.  And based on what I've seen and read, I agree with the verdict. But I don't agree that a sitting president or US representative should chime in before the verdict, especially when the climate is so hostile.
I didn’t say only Biden. I said “ a sitting president.”   I don’t care if it’s Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, on down the line. It’s reckless for any of them to chime in. But apparently, the fact that the statement applies to all sitting presidents, which includes Biden, made someone (not you Galway) more than a little butthurt.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #335 on: April 20, 2021, 06:14:21 PM »
I did say that.
I didn’t say only Biden. I said “ a sitting president.”   I don’t care if it’s Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, on down the line. It’s reckless for any of them to chime in. But apparently, the fact that the statement applies to all sitting presidents, which includes Biden, made someone (not you Galway) more than a little butthurt.

I missed where you said a sitting president and only saw the posts where Biden was specified Mea culpa I agree with your point. After the verdicts read if he feels like he wants to have an opinion "the officer was over charged and the DA should know better" or "the officer was tried by his peers and found not guilty, this is American society" then by all means but grand standing beforehand is something I agree should not happen.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #336 on: April 20, 2021, 06:53:25 PM »
We all want to sit around and talk about how justice was served for people of color in America. This case does not show that. This was a case that was so so obvious that there could be no other verdict. Hundreds of millions of us saw Chauvin commit murder. The trial could not have turned out any other way in the 2020s.

There are still many, many men and women of color that have received no justice. We know all of the names. We know the police lied in many of those cases. Yet, justice never arrived for those people. Without video, we all know that George Floyd's family would NOT have received justice. The cops would have lied as they usually have when they murder a person of color.

When a cop murdered a 13 year old boy (with his hands in the air), the police report said that the cop was the victim. Police can continue to murder people of color just as they always have - they just have to make sure there are no cameras recording the event.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 20, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
We all want to sit around and talk about how justice was served for people of color in America. This case does not show that. This was a case that was so so obvious that there could be no other verdict. Hundreds of millions of us saw Chauvin commit murder. The trial could not have turned out any other way in the 2020s.

There are still many, many men and women of color that have received no justice. We know all of the names. We know the police lied in many of those cases. Yet, justice never arrived for those people. Without video, we all know that George Floyd's family would NOT have received justice. The cops would have lied as they usually have when they murder a person of color.

When a cop murdered a 13 year old boy (with his hands in the air), the police report said that the cop was the victim. Police can continue to murder people of color just as they always have - they just have to make sure there are no cameras recording the event.

Do you think in the Toledo case, before the cop shot him, and had less than 1 sec to make a decision, he said to himself here's  a great opportunity to kill a minority?  Did he even know the race of this kid when he pulled the trigger?   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #338 on: April 20, 2021, 07:04:58 PM »
I like that the judge immediately ended Chauvin's freedom and sent him to jail.

Chauvin is a flight risk, and he no doubt has friends who would help him escape.

Let him rot.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #339 on: April 20, 2021, 07:25:56 PM »
Do you think in the Toledo case, before the cop shot him, and had less than 1 sec to make a decision, he said to himself here's  a great opportunity to kill a minority?  Did he even know the race of this kid when he pulled the trigger?

Respectfully, this displays ignorance, willful or otherwise, of what people mean when they talk about racial disparities in policing.
When we talk about racism in policing, we're not talking about cops with pointy white hats and swastika tattoos going out of their way to harm people of color. Rather, we're talking about law enforcement policies, attitudes and the culture that lead to people of color being treated differently (and usually resulting in worse outcomes).
Several examples of this have been cited in this thread already.

Such as, why does a Black kid like Duante Wright get shot (or Tased, if that was the intent) for trying to flee from a traffic stop, but a white kid like Kyle Rittenhouse can shoot two people then walk down the street with an AR-15 and cops make no effort to stop him?
Why does a Black man get shot dead by police while shopping for a BB gun in Walmart, but just last week in suburban Chicago, a white man pointed a shotgun at police and threatened to kill him, and instead of reacting with deadly force, cops spent 6+ hours negotiating with him?

I'm not saying these cops are intentionally racist. They're very likely not. But there's something in their culture, training and attitude that often leads them to treat a Black person differently than a white person. That's the systemic racism people are talking about.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 20, 2021, 07:29:17 PM »
So if you tried this case you would have done it completely differently I imagine?  If this case was about race or systemic racism within police depts.why didn't the prosecutor mention this a single time?  That doesn't mean there are not racist cops, or that  Chauvin isn't a racist, but that has absolutely zero to do with this case or verdict.

Bruh.  The world is going to pass you by faster than the older guys around here.  Educate yourself properly before it does, and join the rest of the world and understand that this case was 100% about race.

If George Flloyd was a white guy named Edward McClosky he wouldn't have been killed because he wouldn't have been treated the way he was.   Are you seriously trying to make a claim like this?  Are you out of your mind? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 20, 2021, 07:30:58 PM »
Respectfully, this displays ignorance, willful or otherwise, of what people mean when they talk about racial disparities in policing.
When we talk about racism in policing, we're not talking about cops with pointy white hats and swastika tattoos going out of their way to harm people of color. Rather, we're talking about law enforcement policies, attitudes and the culture that lead to people of color being treated differently (and usually resulting in worse outcomes).

Such as, why does a Black kid like Duante Wright get shot (or Tased, if that was the intent) for trying to flee from a traffic stop, but a white kid like Kyle Rittenhouse can shoot two people then walk down the street with an AR-15 and cops make no effort to stop him?
Why does a Black man get shot dead by police while shopping for a BB gun in Walmart, but just last week in suburban Chicago, a white man pointed a shotgun at police and threatened to kill him, and instead of reacting with deadly force, cops spent 6+ hours negotiating with him?

I'm not saying these cops are intentionally racist. They're very likely not. But there's something in their culture, training and attitude that often leads them to treat a Black person differently than a white person. That's the systemic racism people are talking about.

Yes a thousand times this.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 20, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »

Fog of war? Did anyone come out with the police knew he had shot anyone at the time?

My guess would be they had no idea he had shot anyone at that point.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 20, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »
Bruh.  The world is going to pass you by faster than the older guys around here.  Educate yourself properly before it does, and join the rest of the world and understand that this case was 100% about race.

If George Flloyd was a white guy named Edward McClosky he wouldn't have been killed because he wouldn't have been treated the way he was.   Are you seriously trying to make a claim like this?  Are you out of your mind?

The store clerk called the cops.  I have no idea what would have happened if a man of a different race acted the exact same way Mr. Floyd did in this situation.  And you don't either.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 20, 2021, 07:37:49 PM »
Fog of war? Did anyone come out with the police knew he had shot anyone at the time?

My guess would be they had no idea he had shot anyone at that point.

There's video of people yelling that he just shot someone.
But even if the cops didn't hear that, there was just a shooting. Hard not to hear an AR-15 going off down the block. And, lo and behold, here comes someone with a rifle. Don't you think they might want to stop him and ask some questions? Don't you think that a Black kid wearing a baseball cap backwards strolling through the streets of Kenosha with an AR-15 might have been stopped?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 20, 2021, 07:38:19 PM »

The officer told Toledo what to do. The suspect complied and was shot anyway.

How long I took to make a decision doesn't matter. The officer was wrong. He killed a 13-year old. The only question that should remain in everyones mind is what should the charges be.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »

So if a white kid was pulled over in lieu of Dante Wright, it's inconceivable a negligent cop could have been negligent?  You believe the Daunte Wright case was about a racist officer?  That she really wanted that to happen?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #347 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »
15-year-old girl in Columbus called the cops, afraid some other girls were going to jump her. They showed up and shot the girl 4 times. RIP Makiyah Bryant.

Not racist, total accident, probably a criminal, cop had to make a split-second decision, etc etc.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 20, 2021, 07:41:02 PM »
So if a white kid was pulled over in lieu of Dante Wright, it's inconceivable a negligent cop could have been negligent?  You believe the Daunte Wright case was about a racist officer?  That she really wanted that to happen?

I believe that if Daunte Wright was white, he wouldn't have been pulled over for having an air-freshener hanging from his rearview mirror.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #349 on: April 20, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »

Tell me you didn't read a word I wrote, without telling me you didn't read a word I wrote.

feedback