[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85254 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2021, 09:17:55 PM »
Maxine Waters us a doofus.

Ty.  How in the world is this defensible by anyone?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2021, 09:20:07 PM »
Dumb for her to make comments right now.

Agreed. Quite simple. She's making things worse not better.

Because too many people care more about politics than principles.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2021, 09:24:55 PM »

Especially in Congress

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2021, 09:29:49 PM »

Yup.  It's embarrassing and sad.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2021, 09:36:18 PM »
I think it goes beyond dumb but ty for your honesty.
Usually Democrats call out bad behavior on their own side. Usually, though admittedly not always.

Republicans almost never do.

See: Drumpf, Donald J.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2021, 10:25:09 PM »
Usually Democrats call out bad behavior on their own side. Usually, though admittedly not always.

Republicans almost never do.

See: Drumpf, Donald J.

I agree Republicans should have called out Trump but I was appalled by Pelosi's comments today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2021, 10:38:56 PM »
Thankfully, we whined some about dopey Maxine Waters to deflect from Billy's lies about the 13-year-old and rocket's typical rocketness.

Here's hoping Chauvin gets convicted and gets the maximum sentence allowed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2021, 11:22:52 PM »
Thankfully, we whined some about dopey Maxine Waters to deflect from Billy's lies about the 13-year-old and rocket's typical rocketness.

Do you think people will be "satisfied" with the verdict if he's convicted on all charges assuming Waters didn't cause an automatic appeal or mistrial?  Or will there be violence regardless of the verdict?

Here's what I noticed having just watched the summations:  The prosecutor was excellent and the defense lawyer was solid as well.  There is no such thing as a slam dunk verdict.  But the prosecutor not a single time invoked race as having anything to do with this particular case , nor did he condemn police departments.. 

As far as I know race was never mentioned at all during the entire trial.  This is about right and wrong, period.  The vast, vast, vast, majority of people at the very minimum, agree Chauvin was guilty of excessive force (manslaughter) which led to the death of Mr. Floyd.   I think all of us hope he's convicted on all charges but that won't necessarily please the protesters and rioters.  Unfortunately the fact that this case wasn't moved to a different venue, and you have people like Maxine Waters saying asinine things in the streets, this is potentially a fking nightmare.  And the Governor of Minnesota, proved in his comments as well, that he's a complete asshead.. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:27:37 PM by MuggsyB »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2021, 11:30:09 PM »
Do you think people will be "satisfied" with the verdict if he's convicted on all charges assuming Waters didn't cause an automatic appeal or mistrial?  Or will there be violence regardless of the verdict?

Waters' comments, as dumb as they be, are not grounds for a mistrial. And while one can appeal based on virtually anything, there's no real merit there.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »
Waters' comments, as dumb as they be, are not grounds for a mistrial. And while one can appeal based on virtually anything, there's no real merit there.

I hope you're right but nothing would surprise me.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2021, 11:35:10 PM »
What's the max this scumbag can get if convicted on all three charges?  I'm a little confused looking st past precedent.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2021, 12:05:04 AM »

Lies, eh? Oh, the kid had a fresh Latin Kings tattoo.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/man-who-was-with-13-year-old-the-night-he-was-shot-killed-by-chicago-police-is-back-in-custody

Prosecutors said Toledo's hand tested positive for gunshot residue and that a Ruger 9MM was found next to where he died.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/prosecutor-failed-to-fully-inform-himself-in-adam-toledo-shooting-office-says/2487439/

https://abc7.com/adam-toledo-shooting-video-chicago-police-13-year-old-shot/10522605/

Nearby surveillance video shows 21-year-old Ruben Roman shooting at a passing vehicle with Toledo by his side, according to prosecutors in a bond hearing for Roman. Roman and Toledo then are said to have ducked into an alley, where officers found them shortly after.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2720578/adam-toledo-chicago-shooting-latin-kings/

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:10:14 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2021, 12:18:38 AM »
This isn't at all true.

https://abc7chicago.com/officer-eric-stillman-chicago-police-who-shot-adam-toledo-misconduct-shooting-video/10520526/

Maybe doing research to find out what really happened is a positive thing, not just listening to a network who admits they’re in the tank for BLM. It’s what I learned at MU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2021, 12:34:46 AM »
Billy, none of the links you posted say what you wrote. You wrote:

a 13-year-old kid who had just fired eight+ shots at a moving car

None of these links support that. In fact, they say that the 21 year old suspect was the one who fired eight+ shots at a moving car. That is the lie people are referring to.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #264 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:18 AM »
https://abc7chicago.com/officer-eric-stillman-chicago-police-who-shot-adam-toledo-misconduct-shooting-video/10520526/

Maybe doing research to find out what really happened is a positive thing, not just listening to a network who admits they’re in the tank for BLM. It’s what I learned at MU.

The story you link and quote above says video evidence shows the adult who was with Adam Toledo fired shots, not the kid.
What you posted is false.

As for the rest of your nonsense, so what? This was a seventh grader with a learning disability, growing up in a poor, gang-infested community lacking the resources needed for someone like him. He fell in with and was taken advantage of by an adult criminal.
That you would use that to justify that he was shot dead with his arms raised in surrender is really effed up, man.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:23:31 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #265 on: April 20, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »
Do you think people will be "satisfied" with the verdict if he's convicted on all charges assuming Waters didn't cause an automatic appeal or mistrial?

I can’t answer for or predict the satisfaction level of “people,” Muggs.

There won’t be a mistrial because of what Waters said. Very unlikely that an appeal based on what a politician said will succeed.

Lots of folks who shrugged off (or even applauded) idiotic, hateful, abhorrent, divisive (etc) comments from the previous leader of the free world sure seem bent out of shape about Waters. Not saying you, Muggs, because I don’t know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 20, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »
I can’t answer for or predict the satisfaction level of “people,” Muggs.

There won’t be a mistrial because of what Waters said. Very unlikely that an appeal based on what a politician said will succeed.

Lots of folks who shrugged off (or even applauded) idiotic, hateful, abhorrent, divisive (etc) comments from the previous leader of the free world sure seem bent out of shape about Waters. Not saying you, Muggs, because I don’t know.

My take is based on what the judge specifically said about her comments. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 20, 2021, 09:43:06 AM »
My take is based on what the judge specifically said about her comments.

Sure, but the same judge who made those comments also denied a mistrial. He was just venting (understandably, but not appropriately) yet when push came to shove, he knew there was no legal basis for a mistrial.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 20, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »
It was a dumb thing to say.

However, the current bar for stupidity and inciting more stupidity is insurrection and storming the capital looking for congressmen and the VP to abduct.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2021, 09:50:36 AM »

Would you like to relitigate the last 4 years considering who the President was?

She shouldn't probably have said anything, but let's not pretend she was the first politician to wade into the middle of a situation like this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »
Sure, but the same judge who made those comments also denied a mistrial. He was just venting (understandably, but not appropriately) yet when push came to shove, he knew there was no legal basis for a mistrial.

What he also basically said is "be sure to bring this up when you appeal."

I think it was remarkable that the judge mentioned the comments at all.  Simply bringing them up implies they've had an impact.  Very careless.  Wait until the trial is over and then address the comments if they have him that worked up.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #271 on: April 20, 2021, 09:58:38 AM »
If he doesn't get the max (which I guess is 40 yrs) it's not going to be pretty. And it may still be a s-show if he does because we know this will be appealed.  I thought the prosecutor was very strong in his summation and hope everybody listened to it.  Because again he tried the facts of case, not a narrative.  From what I saw this was a positive representation of our legal system from both sides.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »
For the sake of clarity, the 13 year old did have gunshot residue on his hands .. so while video shows the 21 year old shooting into passing cars .. Toledo shot at least once. 

(https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/man-who-was-with-13-year-old-the-night-he-was-shot-killed-by-chicago-police-is-back-in-custody)

I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't be terrified of the reality that these two guys were shooting into moving cars, targeted or random souls driving down the street.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2021, 10:16:33 AM »
It was a dumb thing to say.

However, the current bar for stupidity and inciting more stupidity is insurrection and storming the capital looking for congressmen and the VP to abduct.

And it was stupid to fly there with a security team while simultaneously attacking police.  I don't recall me defending Trump's behavior......basically ever Tower.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2021, 10:17:54 AM »
If he doesn't get the max (which I guess is 40 yrs) it's not going to be pretty. And it may still be a s-show if he does because we know this will be appealed.  I thought the prosecutor was very strong in his summation and hope everybody listened to it.  Because again he tried the facts of case, not a narrative.  From what I saw this was a positive representation of our legal system from both sides.

I agree. Within the courtroom, all the key players - prosecution, defense and judge - represented our legal system admirably. People might disagree with the interpretation presented at closing arguments (especially by the defense), but they were all doing their jobs.

The outside comments by Waters and other elected officials have been inexcusable.

That said, I think it is highly unlikely that the verdict is overturned on appeal or by declaring a mistrial.

feedback