[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 85215 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2021, 04:28:00 PM »
  yo jackwagon-the link says "honoring officers KILLED in 2021" !!!

total LINE OF DUTY DEATHS- 97

what are you?  Baghdad bob? and that was putting it politely 

Irrelevant
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »
No protests, no riots, no looting, no calls for justice, black bystander celebrates as cop pumps 12 rounds into white perpetrator and of course no national press coverage and outrage. Just a cop doing his job.

https://en-volve.com/2021/02/09/thats-the-sht-i-like-to-see-blm-supporter-celebrates-as-he-films-cop-shoot-white-guy-12-times-graphic-video/
That's the shyte you use for your news source? No wonder you see the world as you do.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2021, 04:30:46 PM »
I couldn't agree more about the officer being held to the highest standard.  I couldn't agree more that Wright should not have been shot and that death should never be an outcome in this situation.  I couldn't agree more that the officer will and should face charges for manslaughter.

I've been pulled over for having expired plates.  Using your logic, there was no reason for me to have been pulled over though because I'm not black.  I got ticketed.  I showed up in court and got it dismissed.  Wright could have done the same (maybe not the dismissal part-I'm a lawyer).   And once again, I agree that Wright's death is not acceptable!  But everything doesn't always have to be a race issue.  Someone can just plain F up.

the officer certainly did overreact and what happened is unfortunate. Second Degree Manslaughter seems to be an appropriate charge and one that prosecutors can get a conviction for. What are the odds Wright would have paid the ticket or showed up? He already skipped out for his court date for choking and robbing a woman (aggravated assault and facing up to 20 years). But we absolutely need to make it a race issue - BLM leaders need more houses and Ibham Kendi needs to get paid for more speeches and sell more books.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »

As Pakuni said:
To be more clear, 97 cops have had what's been deemed a line-of-duty death this year.
51 of them died because of COVID-19
15 died from gunfire
8 died in a vehicle crash
7 died of vehicular assault
6 were struck by a vehicle accidentally
4 died of assault
2 were stabbed
2 suffered heart attacks
1 died of 9/11-related illness
1 died from duty-related illness

I guess dying from COVID is just like being shot by a perpetrator.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2021, 04:38:10 PM »

Yet your probably one of those guys who thinks Trump has zero culpability for those 51 COVID deaths.

Guys like you are so predictable.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
the officer certainly did overreact and what happened is unfortunate. Second Degree Manslaughter seems to be an appropriate charge and one that prosecutors can get a conviction for. What are the odds Wright would have paid the ticket or showed up? He already skipped out for his court date for choking and robbing a woman (aggravated assault and facing up to 20 years). But we absolutely need to make it a race issue - BLM leaders need more houses and Ibham Kendi needs to get paid for more speeches and sell more books.

Learn to seperate Black Lives Matter, Inc from the Black Lives Matter movement.  Every movement gets monetized and if you can't figure out that the movement is different from the corporation then you don't want to.  Grifters will always grift.  But they are two very different things.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2021, 04:56:31 PM »
This officer, like the majority of these police brutality cases, has been prosecuted.  And in three days.  It was obviously an unfortunate incident and each of these mainstream cases have vast differences. 

What exactly do people want beyond this outcome?  If the victim was white or the cop was black would your views be different?  What outcome is possibly better, under our system, than this cop being charged for 2nd degree manslaughter in 3 days?   Or should every case where a white officer kills a black victim, no matter how or what the circumstances are, be given the death penalty or life in prison immediately?   Is it proof we're a systemically racist society because we have due process?  Is it not conceivable this was a very unfortunate accident?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:26:27 PM by MuggsyB »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2021, 05:07:47 PM »
Rocket, look at the breakdown of the 97 deaths.   Actually read the link.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »

Furthermore, I'd check your facts regarding the outstanding charges before taking what Jessie Watters says and running with it as fact.  I'll let the others check out whom Jessie works for.  Here are the documents if you want to look at them.

https://www.insider.com/daunte-wright-details-of-charges-warrants-before-killed-by-police-2021-4

His case from 2019 (the aggravated assault that you're referencing) was scheduled for August 2021.  He didn't skip the date since August 2021 is still about 8 months away. 

Now, there was a court date set for 4/2 which he missed and a warrant was issued.  He was charged with fleeing from police, and carrying a pistol without a permit.  The pistol in question was in the vehicle that he fled and was confiscated as evidence by the police.  Should he have shown up for the zoom court date?  Yes, of course. 

I'm not excusing his behavior at all, but you seem to be trying to justify his death.  Why?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
This officer, like the majority of these police brutality cases, has been prosecuted.  And in three days.  It was obviously an unfortunate incident and each of these mainstream cases have vast differences. 

What exactly do people want beyond this outcome?  If the victim was white or the cop was black would your views be different?  What outcome is possibly better, under our system, than this cop being charged for 2nd degree manslaughter in 3 days?   Or should every case where a white officer kills a black victim, no matter how or what the circumstances are, be given the death penalty or life in prison immediately?   Is it proof we're are a systemically racist society because we have due process?  Is it not conceivable this was a very unfortunate accident?

Demilitarize the police.  That is the bar. 

No one here is calling for the death penalty or life in prison, so maybe take a step back.  People want justice, not vengeance.  If you don't give them justice, they will seek vengeance.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
I'm not excusing his behavior at all, but you seem to be trying to justify his death.  Why?

To be fair, I think it’s less so justifying his death and moreso pushing back on the idea that Wright was some innocent youth out for a drive who was executed just cause he was black.  Nothing he did deserved being shot, I don’t disagree at all with that, but there is this persistent need to make every victim in this scenario out to be an angel.  It’s as distracting and unnecessary as the “maybe don’t resist arrest, durrr” argument .

No one here is calling for the death penalty or life in prison, so maybe take a step back.  People want justice, not vengeance.  If you don't give them justice, they will seek vengeance.

I can ASSURE you sentiment is rampant that the manslaughter charge is too weak and people are demanding murder.  The same people would be livid when a jury wouldn’t convict on those same murder charges cause you couldn’t prove that in this scenario.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »

1. Only a small fraction of police brutality cases lead to prosecution.
2. She hasn't been prosecuted, she's been charged. And in no way is three days fast. Had Duante Wright shot and killed Officer Kim Potter, do you think he'd have been a free man for three days while authorities decided whether or not to charge him?
3. It's not "an unfortunate incident." An unfortunate incident is when you spill your drink or stub your toe. This is, at best, a case of gross incompetence and reckless indifference that led to a person's death.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »
Demilitarize the police.  That is the bar. 

So what does demilitarization mean exactly?  They should no longer carry weapons?  No tear gas for riots?  Basically enforce law and order with fewer resources?  How many unarmed an non-threatening people are killed by cops during the course of a year?  How does this compare to other homicide rates? 

We can talk about qualified immunity, or better training overall, racial profiling, abuse of power, or what have you.  All of these things should be looked at as far as potential reforms.  But we also cannot neglect root causes or basic communication and how one should interact with cops when arrested or questioned. 

It's important to know your rights and there are bad cops, no one denies that.  But vilifying the entire profession, and their importance to our society, is exacerbating these problems exponentially.   They cannot be hamstrung to the point where they can't do their jobs.  It would hurt our most economically disadvantaged people the most. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2021, 05:49:20 PM »
To be fair, I think it’s less so justifying his death and moreso pushing back on the idea that Wright was some innocent youth out for a drive who was executed just cause he was black.  Nothing he did deserved being shot, I don’t disagree at all with that, but there is this persistent need to make every victim in this scenario out to be an angel.  It’s as distracting and unnecessary as the “maybe don’t resist arrest, durrr” argument .

Do you also interrupt eulogies to point out that the deceased wasn't an angel?
Honestly, why is anyone surprised, upset or bothered by the fact Daunte Wright's loved ones have good things to say about him after his death? What would you expect?
"Boy, my son was a real piece of sh*t, I tell you."
For chrissakes.

Look, of course he wasn't an angel. Few of us are. But the fact that had a past criminal charge  - not conviction, mind you - is irrelevant here, and is being brought up for the sole purpose of sullying his reputation.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2021, 05:50:05 PM »
1. Only a small fraction of police brutality cases lead to prosecution.
2. She hasn't been prosecuted, she's been charged. And in no way is three days fast. Had Duante Wright shot and killed Officer Kim Potter, do you think he'd have been a free man for three days while authorities decided whether or not to charge him?
3. It's not "an unfortunate incident." An unfortunate incident is when you spill your drink or stub your toe. This is, at best, a case of gross incompetence and reckless indifference that led to a person's death.

My mistake, charged.  And it may very well have been gross negligence but that's why she's being charged.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2021, 06:04:43 PM »
So what does demilitarization mean exactly?  They should no longer carry weapons?  No tear gas for riots?  Basically enforce law and order with fewer resources?  How many unarmed an non-threatening people are killed by cops during the course of a year?  How does this compare to other homicide rates? 

We can talk about qualified immunity, or better training overall, racial profiling, abuse of power, or what have you.  All of these things should be looked at as far as potential reforms.  But we also cannot neglect root causes or basic communication and how one should interact with cops when arrested or questioned. 

It's important to know your rights and there are bad cops, no one denies that.  But vilifying the entire profession, and their importance to our society, is exacerbating these problems exponentially.   They cannot be hamstrung to the point where they can't do their jobs.  It would hurt our most economically disadvantaged people the most.

When people speak of demilitarizing the police, they generally mean no longer equipping police with military-style equipment, such as assault rifles, sniper rifles, grenade launchers, armored vehicles, etc.
For some, it also means ending or minimizing paramilitary units and tactics.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2021, 06:08:37 PM »
Do you also interrupt eulogies to point out that the deceased wasn't an angel?
Honestly, why is anyone surprised, upset or bothered by the fact Daunte Wright's loved ones have good things to say about him after his death? What would you expect?
"Boy, my son was a real piece of sh*t, I tell you."
For chrissakes.

Look, of course he wasn't an angel. Few of us are. But the fact that had a past criminal charge  - not conviction, mind you - is irrelevant here, and is being brought up for the sole purpose of sullying his reputation.

I’m not talking about his family.  I’m talking about people commenting on it.

It’s the same vein as the people still to this day repeating that Breonna Taylor was asleep in bed. It’s unnecessary meant to make something horrible look completely evil. It just gives apologists ammunition to shoot apart silly hyperbole.  Why talk sensibly about how f***ked policing is in this country and how it can be fixed when you can just yell ACAB.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:18:34 PM by JWags85 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »
When people speak of demilitarizing the police, they generally mean no longer equipping police with military-style equipment, such as assault rifles, sniper rifles, grenade launchers, armored vehicles, etc.
For some, it also means ending or minimizing paramilitary units and tactics.

Would any of these measures have stopped what happened over the summer and the other day?  And when I say an unfortunate incident it is in the context of being a police officer and dealing with violent criminals.  That's not to say she was not incompetent or negligent, but police often have less than .5 secs to make a decision.  When they do make mistakes, unlike normal  people, sadly it can result in an innocent person dying. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
I’m not talking about his family.  I’m talking about people commenting on it.

It’s the same vein as the people still to this day repeating that Breonna Taylor was asleep in bed. It’s unnecessary meant to make something horrible look completely evil. It just gives apologists ammunition to shoot apart silly hyperbole.  Why talk sensibly about how f***ked policing is in this country and how it can be fixed when you can just yell ACAB.

If you're looking for someone to defend the ACAB crowd, you've got the wrong guy.
That said, any examples of non-family members or loved ones saying Mr. Wright was an angel? And again, the man was just tragically killed. Why would it bother anyone that people are saying kind things about him rather than publicly discussing his flaws or worst moments? It seems quite a natural thing to do, doesn't it?

Anyhow, we're getting pretty off topic now. The man was unjustifiably killed and there's reason to suspect his race played a role in that. End of story.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2021, 06:53:30 PM »
I couldn't agree more about the officer being held to the highest standard.  I couldn't agree more that Wright should not have been shot and that death should never be an outcome in this situation.  I couldn't agree more that the officer will and should face charges for manslaughter.

I've been pulled over for having expired plates.  Using your logic, there was no reason for me to have been pulled over though because I'm not black.  I got ticketed.  I showed up in court and got it dismissed.  Wright could have done the same (maybe not the dismissal part-I'm a lawyer).   And once again, I agree that Wright's death is not acceptable!  But everything doesn't always have to be a race issue.  Someone can just plain F up.

That didn't need to happen to you, Lighthouse.

Your anecdote shouldn't distract from the fact that this happens to Black folks at a ridiculously high percentage. It's the very definition of "systemic racism." It's so unnecessary and avoidable, and that's what frustrates Black people and those who sympathize with their plight.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2021, 07:05:57 PM »
That didn't need to happen to you, Lighthouse.

Your anecdote shouldn't distract from the fact that this happens to Black folks at a ridiculously high percentage. It's the very definition of "systemic racism." It's so unnecessary and avoidable, and that's what frustrates Black people and those who sympathize with their plight.

What specifically is happening at a ridiculously high percentage?  Cops killing unarmed black citizens?  Are you saying this was an intentional racist murder?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »
Rocket, look at the breakdown of the 97 deaths.   Actually read the link.

i did tower, if you would read the link as well-total line of duty deaths-97

so are we minimizing a death if it is linked under covid?  heart attack? 911 related? do those not count?  these are their statistics, not mine.  i merely posted what has been recorded. 

maybe they got covid while performing their duties, unlike teachers, who refused to go back to work despite the science.  they had to go to work.  their union didn't argue not until certain conditions were met.

heart attacks?  find me the research that says this wasn't work related and i will scratch it off the list-2

911 related-1  i are you to touch that one

so are the cop-haters only counting the ones like the state patrol in new mexico who was pulling someone over for a traffic related offense, not because he was brown, and got pulverized with an AR-15, then shot 3 more times point blank in the head.  yeah, the traffic related stops the mayor of brooklyn center said cops don't need firearms for

ok, so even if jockstrap wants to subtract 3 or 4 of the 97 and call me a liar, he's still libeling me.  ok, 93 
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2021, 07:14:32 PM »
 28 died by assault, Rocket.  28 too many.  30% of the total number of police deaths so far this year.

And firefighters also track causes of firefighter deaths.

Firefighting
Traffic accidents involving fire apparatus and response.
Struck by other drivers while working
Heart attacks
COVID
And honestly, on a personal level, most of us rate them differently.
  So, yeah.  I weight death by assault of some kind differently than I do heart attacks, COVID, at fault traffic accidents.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:21:21 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2021, 07:33:11 PM »
What specifically is happening at a ridiculously high percentage?  Cops killing unarmed black citizens?  Are you saying this was an intentional racist murder?

No sir.

Blacks get pulled over for silly vehicle violations at a far higher percentage than white people do. And then things have escalated.

I AM saying there is systemic racism. Whether each individual incident is an example of overt racism is another matter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2021, 07:37:02 PM »

so are the cop-haters only counting the ones like ...

How do you define a "cop-hater," rocket? Somebody who doesn't think a cop should kill an unarmed Black person when such a result was totally avoidable?

If so, I guess I'm a "cop-hater" ... but I actually know, like and respect cops, and so do most of us from both sides of the aisle (as well as us Independents in the middle of the aisle).

Your attempts to label and to use Newsmax talking points don't erase the facts.