'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many?

8 (3.5%)
35 (15.2%)
136 (59.1%)
49 (21.3%)
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Big East Bids  (Read 15365 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Big East Bids
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
it's probably 4 unless someone other than MU/Nova/STJ/Butler win the conference tournament. 

Since I've never been a fan of conference tournaments because they just tire you out for the real tournament, here's hoping that Providence or another team that's well coached and fun to watch wins it and we get 5 in the big dance.

No way it'll be more than 5.
No way. Marquette’s turn to bring home the hardware.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »
Locks: MU and Nova

Should be in, but work to do: SJU and Hall

Work to do: Butler

Still a shot, but looking grim: PC and Creighton

Maybe they got a shot at Dayton if this finish red hot: Gtown and Depaul

That Creighton loss @ X the other night was a back breaker. They looked like they have the inside track to get to 10 wins before that.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
Maybe 5 now? 6 not impossible pending BET winner.

Nova, MU, Hall are in. SJU is still in but may have played their way into Dayton.

Creighton probably a win today and a win in the BET away from getting in. Georgetown and X definitely in the convo now, but still have work to do.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2019, 08:42:49 PM »
The real question is how many wins the Big East will get. I'm guessing it might just be 2 right now. If we pull it together, we could be the best Big East team. But we're in a bad rut right now. All BE teams are susceptible to an early exit. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2019, 12:28:39 AM »
The real question is how many wins the Big East will get. I'm guessing it might just be 2 right now. If we pull it together, we could be the best Big East team. But we're in a bad rut right now. All BE teams are susceptible to an early exit.

So is SJU out? Looking like 3 then unless X can beat Nova eh?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2019, 12:47:17 AM »
So is SJU out? Looking like 3 then unless X can beat Nova eh?

Howie Schwab has SJU as the last two in.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:51:20 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

1SE

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2019, 01:00:05 AM »
Howie Schwab has SJU as the last two in.

79 kenpom, 64 NET (not sure if updated from today).

But I guess it is a tip of the hat to us if they make in it since we're the major part of their resume!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2019, 03:06:20 AM »
I know everyone is saying the Big East had a down year but no other conference had a last place team with 7 wins. The middle of our conference just beat each other up. If you have the usual bad teams at the bottom the Big East is probably looking at at least 5 in with the extra win distribution. I think the thing hurting a lot of these teams is a) they didn't play anyone in non-conference and b) if they did we had a lot of young Big East teams still learning to play and getting beat. I expect a big bounce  back year next season and be back into the 6 bid range.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »
Jerry Palm's updated bracket has St. John's  in. Not even in Dayton.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »
79 kenpom, 64 NET (not sure if updated from today).

But I guess it is a tip of the hat to us if they make in it since we're the major part of their resume!

Not updated yet. If St John's drops to 68, that would be a lower NET than the lowest RPI to ever make the field. Only two sub-65 RPI teams ever made the field, both played in Dayton. I'll be watching their updated NET closely today.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
Just tried to come up with a field and really struggled to find 4 teams for the last 4 at-larges/PIGs, and I had Utah State, Belmont and Lipscomb getting at-larges. I'd guess SJU ends up in one of the PIGs as a penalty of sorts for their less-than-spectacular non-league schedule.
GO WARRIORS!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2019, 08:03:10 AM »
Just tried to come up with a field and really struggled to find 4 teams for the last 4 at-larges/PIGs, and I had Utah State, Belmont and Lipscomb getting at-larges. I'd guess SJU ends up in one of the PIGs as a penalty of sorts for their less-than-spectacular non-league schedule.

Those last spots are awful. Comparing teams like Furman & Lipscomb who have great records but of lower quality to teams like Indiana & Texas who have quality but poor records to teams like St John's & ASU who have some decent wins but staggeringly bad losses is tough.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2019, 08:07:36 AM »
Hadn't looked at it as much this year because it wasn't an issue for MU or my #2 team, Arizona (talk about awful this year). Will never happen, but maybe time to contract the field back to 64?
GO WARRIORS!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
Hadn't looked at it as much this year because it wasn't an issue for MU or my #2 team, Arizona (talk about awful this year). Will never happen, but maybe time to contract the field back to 64?

More likely it would expand. I say add 4 teams, go to 72, and the last 16 at large bids play at Dayton & another site (maybe Omaha?) on Tuesday & Wednesday. That way every autobid gets to play Thursday/Friday & the play in games would all actually feature somewhat higher quality matchups.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:16:55 AM by brewcity77 »

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2019, 08:13:03 AM »

Not gonna happen. Money talks, that's why they went from 1 PIG to 4. If anything I would like them to use the PIG to give more consideration to the one bid leagues where the regular season champion was pretty good but just had an off night in the conference tournament. The best part of the tournament is giving those long shots a chance.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
I would be surprised if SJU misses the tournament.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2019, 08:18:29 AM »
Completely agree on that last point Monster. I'm all for giving the Furman, NC Greensboro and Hofstra's of the world shots in those games than teams that are under .500 in their leagues and barely over .500 overall.

Edit - And I guess I'm seeing a path to a 4 seed now, too, if things go right the next 2 days. On some level just avoid Duke with a healthy Williamson as long as possible.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:23:52 AM by Eye »
GO WARRIORS!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
Last season's Marquette team would be a 9 seed this season?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
For the love of God can we stop referring to Howie Schwab like he has any idea what he is doing?

I disagree with a decent amount of Brew's bracket (I think SJU is in) and I guarantee he puts more work and time into it than Howie Schwab. The guy has no idea what he's doing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
I love love love that I don't have to care about the bubble this year!!

Not saying we shouldn't have these conversations here. That's what a fan site is for. Just saying that, personally, it's so nice to be worrying about more than if my Warriors are gonna dance.

Ahhhh.  8-)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
For the love of God can we stop referring to Howie Schwab like he has any idea what he is doing?

I disagree with a decent amount of Brew's bracket (I think SJU is in) and I guarantee he puts more work and time into it than Howie Schwab. The guy has no idea what he's doing.
He is a FS1/BTN guy! I'm for promoting him.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2019, 10:25:13 AM »

I expect I will be really right or really wrong when it comes to the bubble. If this was last year's committee, I would likely have NC State, Creighton, & Indiana in and UNCG, Furman, & Lipscomb out.

St John's would be the lowest ranked high major per kenpom to get an at large & their NET would be lower than the previous lowest RPI. I could easily be wrong on some high majors depending on how this SC makeup behaves, but I think MU fans are overrating their chances because of our bad memories of them. Poor non-con, bad conference losses, unprecedentedly low computer numbers. And from a Selection Committee with more mid & low majors than any time since 2013? We'll see.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »

They interviewed him last night and he said that the Johnnies have too many bad losses and a weak OOC to go with their good wins. Namely their DePaul losses and finishing 9-11 in conference.  Like him or not, SJU is teetering on the bubble.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
They interviewed him last night and he said that the Johnnies have too many bad losses and a weak OOC to go with their good wins. Namely their DePaul losses and finishing 9-11 in conference.  Like him or not, SJU is teetering on the bubble.

Sure. And that's fine. They definitely aren't safe. But there are literally 100 better bracketologists that we could be referencing.

It's like using Bleacher Report for your main supply of sports news.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
Sure. And that's fine. They definitely aren't safe. But there are literally 100 better bracketologists that we could be referencing.

It's like using Bleacher Report for your main supply of sports news.

Jaybee is to crystal ball as MUeagle1090 is to _________

feedback