[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sweden?  (Read 58943 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Sweden?
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
One small flaw in  Sweden’s plan. If you don’t get immunity, they are screwed.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-still-don-t-know-if-recovering-from-covid-19-confers-immunity-or-not

Scientists Still Don't Know if Recovering From COVID-19 Confers Immunity or Not

Even as virologists zero in on the virus that causes COVID-19, a very basic question remains unanswered: do those who recover from the disease have immunity?

There is no clear answer to this question, experts say, even if many have assumed that contracting the potentially deadly disease confers immunity, at least for a while.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
One small flaw in  Sweden’s plan. If you don’t get immunity, they are screwed.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-still-don-t-know-if-recovering-from-covid-19-confers-immunity-or-not

Scientists Still Don't Know if Recovering From COVID-19 Confers Immunity or Not

Even as virologists zero in on the virus that causes COVID-19, a very basic question remains unanswered: do those who recover from the disease have immunity?

There is no clear answer to this question, experts say, even if many have assumed that contracting the potentially deadly disease confers immunity, at least for a while.

This was always discussed as a possible way to deal with the disease. 

Their method is putting all of their faith in the hope that there is such a thing as natural herd immunity.  If there isn't such a thing, they've made a very reckless decision, and it will cost far more lives.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2020, 08:51:39 PM »
Lol, isn't the simple approach to let everyone live their lives as normal, pretend nothing is happening, and let lots of people die as a result, hoping for better results in the future?

I mean - since you seem focused on calling others simple...

That could be an approach, but not my desired approach.  My personal opinion is to protect those most vulnerable, which Sweden is doing.  Don't shut the entire economy down and all the damage that goes with it which brings many more problems. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »
New Zealand is declaring victory.   Why no deep dive into the how and discussion about what we can learn from them?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
I have been following them on TripAdvisor.They closed their borders, required any returning citizens to go into self-quarantine for two weeks. Stopped travel between regions. Very limited ability to leave the house, including limits on how far you could venture from home, and for what reason. They are doing testing and contact tracing. They believe they have stopped community spread. They took action early, and their Prime Minister gave clear and concise information based on logic and science, which they bought into.
Nobody complained about lack of ability to golf, go to the beach, or get their hair cut.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »
Indeed.   Extensive testing and tracing.   Complete quarantine.  4 new cases yesterday, or low enough to start reopening.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2020, 03:45:22 PM »
New Zealand is declaring victory.   Why no deep dive into the how and discussion about what we can learn from them?

I tried.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60451.0

Maybe it has to do with what news/articles/headlines are passed around major US news outlets? Not sure how much NZ was talked about in those circles

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »

Not to pull a WarriorDad - but NZ is very isolated even without isolation.  The entire population (both islands 4.8M) is about half the size of Chicago metro population.  Their largest city is smaller than Milwaukee.  Only about 1/4 of the population lives on the south island.

Certainly worth an examination, but I don't think their methods would scale to a place such as the US.  Smaller EU countries maybe - but they have more bordering country problems than NZ.  Hawaii and Alaska might benefit though!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »
I agree, Rocky.   But Swedish society is not a good comparison, either.   10.1 Million people.   Single payer health care.    Few population centers.     
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:11:35 PM by tower912 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2020, 04:14:35 PM »
I agree, Rocky.   But Swedish society is not a good comparison, either.   10.1 Million people.   Single payer health care.    Few population centers.     

Also, a population that isn't encouraged to view government as the enemy.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2020, 04:18:30 PM »
But Swedish society is not a good comparison, either.   

Agreed.   Though - and maybe this was your point that I missed - comparing NZ and Sweden long term results/approaches might be interesting.

As it stands today:
NZ: ~1,500 cases, ~20 deaths
SWE: ~19,000 cases, ~2,300 deaths

(understanding Sweden is a little over 2x the size of NZ, and has a slightly higher population density)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:30:27 PM by rocky_warrior »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2020, 04:57:44 PM »
Yes you did try jesmu. And I tried to help you keep it going 😁

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2020, 05:23:09 PM »
Also, a population that isn't encouraged to view government as the enemy.
Also, a government that doesn't tweet support of re-open protests.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2020, 05:40:54 PM »
Also, a government that doesn't tweet support of re-open protests.

Well, since they never closed...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2020, 08:12:16 PM »
Well, since they never closed...

Ha, well played Len.  8-)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2020, 08:14:28 PM »
This is how I know that JayBee has been right all along.  Lenny and Chico’s on the same side of an argument.  #endofdays

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2020, 09:03:49 PM »

New Zealand may be one of the most dissimilar nations in the world.  Hard to use them as a proxy nation of many others.  Seems obvious.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »

Swedish population is an excellent comparison against other Scandinavian nations and even some other European nations.
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2020, 08:08:56 AM »
Swedish population is an excellent comparison against other Scandinavian nations and even some other European nations.

Sweden is a good comparison to other Scandinavian nations. I'm curious as to which other European nations you believe are comparable.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2020, 08:14:19 AM »
This seems a fair and in-depth look at Sweden's policy. Read it all, if you're interested.

https://qz.com/1842183/sweden-is-taking-a-very-different-approach-to-covid-19/

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2020, 08:40:12 AM »
This seems a fair and in-depth look at Sweden's policy. Read it all, if you're interested.

https://qz.com/1842183/sweden-is-taking-a-very-different-approach-to-covid-19/

Good information. Thanks.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »
Not to pull a WarriorDad - but NZ is very isolated even without isolation.  The entire population (both islands 4.8M) is about half the size of Chicago metro population.  Their largest city is smaller than Milwaukee.  Only about 1/4 of the population lives on the south island.

Certainly worth an examination, but I don't think their methods would scale to a place such as the US.  Smaller EU countries maybe - but they have more bordering country problems than NZ.  Hawaii and Alaska might benefit though!

You are forgetting all e Hobbits & Elves & Dwarfs & Orcs.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
You are forgetting all e Hobbits & Elves & Dwarfs & Orcs.

Pretty sure Elves would be immune.  That certainly would help their %s.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
Sweden is a good comparison to other Scandinavian nations. I'm curious as to which other European nations you believe are comparable.

Based on my travels and knowledge of European history, Finland, which is not part of Scandinavia but is part of Europe.  There are differences, no two countries are exactly the same, but I found them quite similar.  Finland was controlled by Sweden for more than 500 years which is why there are so many cultural similarities.

Now, what does New Zealand compare to?

— Plato

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2020, 12:38:20 PM »
Based on my travels and knowledge of European history, Finland, which is not part of Scandinavia but is part of Europe.  There are differences, no two countries are exactly the same, but I found them quite similar.  Finland was controlled by Sweden for more than 500 years which is why there are so many cultural similarities.

Now, what does New Zealand compare to?

As a former Australian resident,  only compares to Australia.  With the Kiwis being slightly more culturally English.

feedback