[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Country Road  (Read 6371 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Country Road
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 08:39:31 AM »
Jae just alphaed the hell out of the entire state of WV that night.  Let everyone know that Kevin Jones wasn't even in the same league as him as a basketball player.

Riot #2 was when Jae was named Big East POY instead of Kevin Jones.  WV fans were flaming all of the Big East social media accounts when that was announced.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2021, 10:28:34 PM »
Jae just alphaed the hell out of the entire state of WV that night.  Let everyone know that Kevin Jones wasn't even in the same league as him as a basketball player.

The suspensions were hilarious to me.  Stagger one half game suspensions?  Hell of a life lesson.  Must've really tipped that bottle over and let the sand flow out on that one.

Buzz defying his boss. Lost all respect for him. The 2nd best day for me as a MU fan was him leaving,
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 08:31:58 AM »
Walking around the house this morning and just realized I was singing Country Roads to myself.  Good times!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 08:32:54 AM »
Walking around the house this morning and just realized I was singing Country Roads to myself.  Good times!

I started singing it when I took the dog out last night for a walk, and I can't get that damn song out of my mind!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 08:51:47 AM »
Those students wanted to kill.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2021, 09:08:25 AM »
If you know someone from WV and really want to pull their chain, tell them that John Denver was actually singing about the part of Western Virginia where I live. The Blue Ridge mountains are in Virginia but not WV, forming one side of the Shenandoah Valley where, with the exception of only a very small percentage of its length, the Shenandoah River flows. I have hiked on the Blue Ridge and paddled a canoe on the Shenandoah and can assure you that I never crossed the line into WV.

I got a good laugh out of Tyler Coaler singing along. Any reports of, ummm, conflicts between MU and WVU fans as the crowd exited?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2021, 05:08:46 PM »
Narrator's voice: They didn't want to, really.

Yep.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2021, 05:43:36 PM »
If you know someone from WV and really want to pull their chain, tell them that John Denver was actually singing about the part of Western Virginia where I live. The Blue Ridge mountains are in Virginia but not WV, forming one side of the Shenandoah Valley where, with the exception of only a very small percentage of its length, the Shenandoah River flows. I have hiked on the Blue Ridge and paddled a canoe on the Shenandoah and can assure you that I never crossed the line into WV.

I got a good laugh out of Tyler Coaler singing along. Any reports of, ummm, conflicts between MU and WVU fans as the crowd exited?

Yup, the best part about that factoid is that it is true, and the Mountaineer faithful refuse to acknowledge it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2021, 06:12:57 PM »
We have a lot of business interests in West Virginia ( as well as Western Virginia) . The state is a very quirky place .

I can definitely confirm the song is about Wheeling ,West Virginia , as well as the beautiful roads in Western Virginia that lead up to it . I have asked the question many times over the years .

This article about the songwriters gives some fascinating detail about the history of how the song developed.

https://wvusports.com/news/2014/1/29/24994_131465976649784385.aspx?path=general

Also worth nothing these were the same song writers who wrote one of my favorite songs Afternoon Delight…
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2021, 06:43:16 PM »
Sing acapella Hermie, aina?

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight
My motto's always been 'when it's right, it's right'
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night?
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day
And we know the night is always gonna be there any way
Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Started out this morning feeling so polite
I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite
But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try nibbling
A little afternoon delight
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Please be waiting for me, baby, when I come around
We could make a lot of lovin' 'for the sun goes down
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:48:12 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
4ever, I can picture you singing this into people's open mouths for the resonance.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2021, 06:51:23 PM »
Have ewe bin inn my office, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 06:52:18 PM »
Sing acapella Hermie, aina?

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight
My motto's always been 'when it's right, it's right'
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night?
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day
And we know the night is always gonna be there any way
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Started out this morning feeling so polite
I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite
But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try nibbling
A little afternoon delight
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Please be waiting for me, baby, when I come around
We could make a lot of lovin' 'for the sun goes down
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1UXCdyNo0
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »
Eye kan dig it, hey?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2021, 07:00:36 PM »
We have a lot of business interests in West Virginia ( as well as Western Virginia) . The state is a very quirky place .

I can definitely confirm the song is about Wheeling ,West Virginia , as well as the beautiful roads in Western Virginia that lead up to it . I have asked the question many times over the years .

This article about the songwriters gives some fascinating detail about the history of how the song developed.

https://wvusports.com/news/2014/1/29/24994_131465976649784385.aspx?path=general

Also worth nothing these were the same song writers who wrote one of my favorite songs Afternoon Delight…

"We were driving on I 81 and there were the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah River". Umm...I 81 is smack in the middle of the Shenandoah valley of Virginia Herman! They were very clearly not in Wheeling WV, not even in the state of WV. But hey! Those Wheeling roads really got the songwriters' attention. I get the artistic license and the lyrics worked for a beautiful song but facts are facts. No "alternative facts" please.

I hope we play WV again, maybe in Milwaukee next year. Kolek can lead the student section into the song when we have the game locked up. It's fun to bait Huggy Bear. Maybe we can rile him up so he gets tossed after his second T. 

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2021, 07:17:24 PM »
Re: Afternoon Delight

Back in the 70's, Bill Danoff, who was a member of the Starlight Vocal Band, had lunch at Clyde's, in Georgetown. Their lunch menu was titled Afternoon Delight. He left, and thought, lunch, hell - I'll write a song about what afternoon delight should really be.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2021, 07:23:59 PM »
"We were driving on I 81 and there were the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah River". Umm...I 81 is smack in the middle of the Shenandoah valley of Virginia Herman! They were very clearly not in Wheeling WV, not even in the state of WV. But hey! Those Wheeling roads really got the songwriters' attention. I get the artistic license and the lyrics worked for a beautiful song but facts are facts. No "alternative facts" please.

I hope we play WV again, maybe in Milwaukee next year. Kolek can lead the student section into the song when we have the game locked up. It's fun to bait Huggy Bear. Maybe we can rile him up so he gets tossed after his second T.
You did not read what I wrote  I said ,The song is both about West Virginia and The roads leading up to it . You omitted this part of the article which clearly points this out.

At the time, Danoff was only 24 when the words to the song were first formulating in his mind. The part that is quintessential West Virginia, to Danoff, is the verse “I hear her voice in the morning hour she calls me, the radio reminds me of my home far away.”

Danoff says that comes directly from his childhood in the 1950s listening to the program Saturday Night Jamboree on Wheeling’s WWVA.

“It was a powerful station and we got it clearly in Springfield at nighttime,” he said. “We used to call it hillbilly music in those days, and I think the people who did it called it hillbilly music, too.”
            ---Al McGuire

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2021, 07:30:33 PM »
Whole game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Qm1JhNAz0

Thanks, Topper. Watching it tonight while my wife watches some GD cooking show.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2021, 08:21:28 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2021, 08:36:36 PM »

As we departed, one pleasantly intoxicated Marquette fan was belting it out at the top of his lungs and nothing happened to me…, er, um , him.  ;D

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »
As we departed, one pleasantly intoxicated Marquette fan was belting it out at the top of his lungs and nothing happened to me…, er, um , him.  ;D

LOL. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2021, 11:04:21 PM »
Re: Afternoon Delight

Back in the 70's, Bill Danoff, who was a member of the Starlight Vocal Band, had lunch at Clyde's, in Georgetown. Their lunch menu was titled Afternoon Delight. He left, and thought, lunch, hell - I'll write a song about what afternoon delight should really be.

It's really quite a terrible song.

Worst song about sex since "Why Don't We Do It In The Road." Actually, probably not as good as that Beatles throwaway song.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2021, 11:54:26 PM »
Starland Vocal Band had a variety show on TV the summer after that song became popular.

It was awful.
Have some patience, FFS.