[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why the Al??  (Read 5488 times)

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
Why the Al??
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »
I’m just wondering why the games will be at the AL and not the Bradley center??

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Why the Al??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »
Because they won't draw more than 3,500.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
2005 NIT game against Western Michigan has about 3,500 and it looked awful.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
What about a matchup with Oregon in 2nd round, lots of Duck fans.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
We'd never get more than a few thousand for an NIT game, so no need for the huge arena.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »

Yeah butt, Crean wuz da coach den, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »
Yup, and it’s Spring Break, so no students.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 08:35:47 PM »
Spring  break.  Not a ton of students.  Short notice and some bitter alumni.   Better the small venue.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »

I was one of em. Never again lol

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
Because few people care.

It's not the NCAA. As I said elsewhere, it is the participation trophy of college basketball.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »
Because few people care.

It's not the NCAA. As I said elsewhere, it is the participation trophy of college basketball.

I’d say it’s more because the ticket isn’t included with the season ticket holder’s ticket package.

If it was, you’d get the same crowd as any weekday non-conference game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
What about a matchup with Oregon in 2nd round, lots of Duck fans.

I'm willing to bet that coming off a Final Four, we won't see anything that could be interpreted as "lots" of Oregon fans.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »
I wonder how many seats the visiting team is allotted?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
I'm willing to bet that coming off a Final Four, we won't see anything that could be interpreted as "lots" of Oregon fans.

But what about all of those cheap, short flights between Milwaukee and Portland?
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »
I was one of em. Never again lol
In 2004, I believe it was Boise State was pretty sweet for an NIT game.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
I’d say it’s more because the ticket isn’t included with the season ticket holder’s ticket package.

If it was, you’d get the same crowd as any weekday non-conference game.
Correct. Hard to sell tickets in 2 days. Starting on a Wednesday helps. Gives you an extra day.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
But what about all of those cheap, short flights between Milwaukee and Portland?

They could just fly into O'Hare.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
I wonder how many seats the visiting team is allotted?
Whatever it is, probably about 10 people from the Havad side.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
I didn't see alot of Oregon fans in Milwaukee when they lost to Wisconsin in the tournament.
-Bill Walton

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »
Quack

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »

ORD is still closer to Milwaukee than Eugene is to PDX
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:56 PM »
I loved the NIT game in the mid-90’s at MECCA.  Aaron Hutchins was awesome if I remember correctly

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »
I loved the NIT game in the mid-90’s at MECCA.  Aaron Hutchins was awesome if I remember correctly
South Florida. What a night that was!
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:17 PM »

So a thousand fans are going to pay the 1-day-notice airfare and burn two days of vacation to fly 2/3 of the way across the country to watch a first-round NIT game?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:38:11 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 09:29:35 PM »
Because few people care.

I just listened to coach and he asked our 'real fans' to come out.  Chick and I intend to.  I guess you can turn in your membership card.

I get it.  You're bitter.  We've both been around long enough to remember some really bleak basketball.  Not sure why I understand your multiple rants today.  But so be it.  The NIT can produce some great hoops for us these next couple of weeks and I intend to enjoy it.  I hope you enjoy the off season that officially began at 5p for you.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »
I just listened to coach and he asked our 'real fans' to come out.  Chick and I intend to.  I guess you can turn in your membership card.

I get it.  You're bitter.  We've both been around long enough to remember some really bleak basketball.  Not sure why I understand your multiple rants today.  But so be it.  The NIT can produce some great hoops for us these next couple of weeks and I intend to enjoy it.  I hope you enjoy the off season that officially began at 5p for you.
I'm looking forward to Wednesday night.
-Bill Walton

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »

We are hoping to drive up for the game, need to adjust some meetings to make it work. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »

Yup, we will be there.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »

Brutal game offensively until OT. Fortunately Chuck Atkins’ FT to win it rimmed out in the final seconds (my eyes were covered, couldn’t watch it). Hutch with a clutch 3 and then Eford with the steal and 3 point play to clinch it. I remember Deane coming up the stairwell in the 1212 Building to thank us for waiting in line for tickets showing off a NIT lapel pin on his sport coat.

The Al should be an awesome atmosphere. I remember GTown and Seton Hall playing NIT games in their on campus gyms. It will look great on TV too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »

I agree with your sentiment - if MU makes MSG I will be there. 

I’m glad that coach has decided who can go and not go though.  Odd

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »
I was told at the half-time of the Creighton game that MU could not play an NIT game at BMO Harris, because MU's contract ended with them with the Creighton game.

I am excited to see how Howard and Rousey shoot at the Al. Their comfort level should be very high with them playing on their practice court. Throw in an opponent that is not familiar with them and I am anticipating big offensive games out of both players.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »
I will be there and hope they win.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 09:44:00 PM »
I was told at the half-time of the Creighton game that MU could not play an NIT game at BMO Harris, because MU's contract ended with them with the Creighton game.

I am excited to see how Howard and Rousey shoot at the Al. Their comfort level should be very high with them playing on their practice court. Throw in an opponent that is not familiar with them and I am anticipating big offensive games out of both players.
Actually, it’s not their practice court.  That’s downstairs.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »

1) Interesting.  Hadn't considered that.

2) They actually practice downstairs in the Kasten gym but no doubt all have played enough upstairs and will likely all this week.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »
Kudos to those who are going.  I can't make it to Milwaukee in time for the 6pm start, but I will be there in spirit. 

Things could be better...but they could also be so much worse.

Go Marquette!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »

Wojo needs to get a grip.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 11:48:17 PM »

If we face the Ducks in rd2, will the Portland area viewing party be held in Milwaukie? It's only a 6.5 mile drive .
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 11:58:28 PM »
I'm in Florida so will only watch on TV. Guess that means I'm not a "real fan" in Wojo's eyes. Whatever.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 12:11:22 AM »
I'm in Florida so will only watch on TV. Guess that means I'm not a "real fan" in Wojo's eyes. Whatever.

You know damn well that's not what he meant.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 06:10:25 AM »

Glow, you're right. My off-season began at 5:13 p.m., Sunday.

The worst thing that could happen to the program is that we revert to the mean of the Dukiet or even Deane years.  Marquette does not have a huge endowment and basketball means a lot in terms of revenue, interest in the university and support. What will that mean in terms of interest, exposure and income to do the things the university needs to do? I can't imagine it would be good. Our minimum goal should be the NCAA tournament.

Look, I want Wojo to succeed. But I'm concerned that if he doesn't, the implication for our program and our university is not good. I think we're at an inflection point and hopefully a good one, but there are still lots of questions that going to the NIT won't resolve.

Finally, I'm not turning in my membership card. True fans are critical fans when things are not going well. As I have said elsewhere in here, I'm also a Cardinals fan, which is a very successful baseball team in a non-major market. I believe the Cardinals have been good for a long time because their ownership knows that if the team goes bad for more than a year or two, the fan interest will wane significantly -- as it did in the late 1970s and early 1980s. 

I've followed Marquette since the 1960s, before most of the people on this board were born. I went to games in the Arena and Bradley Center and expect to be at the Warrior Center next fall. We've done a lot of things for MU that go well beyond fandom as well and I'll be there regardless. Not flying from Florida to Milwaukee doesn't mean I'm not a true Warrior fan.

I'm not bitter. I'm frustrated that we're not living up to our potential.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:50:17 AM by dgies9156 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 06:17:21 AM »
If I lived within 100 miles of Milwaukee, I'd go for sure.

I'll be watching on TV and rooting on our lads.

To those unwilling to do either, that's cool. Whatever floats your boats - including anger.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 06:38:13 AM »
-
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:40:04 AM by dgies9156 »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 07:16:06 AM »

I agree. School spends around a million dollars per player each year. It's fine to expect more. It's year 4 and it was ugly. 293rd in the country in eFG%...that's not acceptable. Team is soft.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 07:50:50 AM »
So a thousand fans are going to pay the 1-day-notice airfare and burn two days of vacation to fly 2/3 of the way across the country to watch a first-round NIT game?

Shame dey kant due WN, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 07:59:19 AM »

Not really. Watch the interview. He was upbeat. Seemed like the weight of the world had been lifted off his shoulders. Disappointed for sure, but ready to get his team to go out and compete.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
#NoRed and I will be there for sure. 6PM game in a gym where we can be close to the action for what should be a good game from an MU standpoint and a stave off the cold hard reality of a summer without MU basketball....I'm so in.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »
Glow, you're right. My off-season began at 5:13 p.m., Sunday.

The worst thing that could happen to the program is that we revert to the mean of the Dukiet or even Deane years.  Marquette does not have a huge endowment and basketball means a lot in terms of revenue, interest in the university and support. What will that mean in terms of interest, exposure and income to do the things the university needs to do? I can't imagine it would be good. Our minimum goal should be the NCAA tournament.

Look, I want Wojo to succeed. But I'm concerned that if he doesn't, the implication for our program and our university is not good. I think we're at an inflection point and hopefully a good one, but there are still lots of questions that going to the NIT won't resolve.

Finally, I'm not turning in my membership card. True fans are critical fans when things are not going well. As I have said elsewhere in here, I'm also a Cardinals fan, which is a very successful baseball team in a non-major market. I believe the Cardinals have been good for a long time because their ownership knows that if the team goes bad for more than a year or two, the fan interest will wane significantly -- as it did in the late 1970s and early 1980s. 

I've followed Marquette since the 1960s, before most of the people on this board were born. I went to games in the Arena and Bradley Center and expect to be at the Warrior Center next fall. We've done a lot of things for MU that go well beyond fandom as well and I'll be there regardless. Not flying from Florida to Milwaukee doesn't mean I'm not a true Warrior fan.

I'm not bitter. I'm frustrated that we're not living up to our potential.

Have a nice summer.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »
I'll be there fo sho.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
Have a nice summer.

Hope you and Chick have a nice one as well.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:04 AM »
I'm absolutely disappointed in the way that this season turned out and I honestly feel like MU is in Year 4 of "but we're going to be really good next year."

That said, I'll be bringing the family to the NIT game because we enjoy going to MU basketball games. I'd obviously rather be heading to an NCAA Tournament game but I'm not going to turn down a chance to see my team play because I wish that they were on a bigger stage.

feedback